Vany's Step 1 Adventure Journal! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Smile Vany's Step 1 Adventure Journal!

Hi everyone! I would like to start this thread to get some motivation and input from fellow members of this forum, during my Step 1 preparation. Also to get in touch with fellow risk takers that are in the midst of this adventure and help each other out in any way that we can! Excited!!

I started my prep on July 14th and here's an outline of my study plan (if anyone it's interested in knowing :P).:

Expected prep time.: 5 months (from July 15 to December 15). Studying 10 hours a day for 6 days a week.

Resources to be used.:
  • Kaplan Lecture Notes + Videos (except pathology and micro)
  • Pathoma
  • Micro flashcards
  • First Aid
  • Conrad Fisher Ethics Book
  • DIT
  • USMLERX
  • UWorld
  • Kaplan Qbank
  • NBMEs

Schedule
2 months for first review, subject-wise (Physiology-Biochemistry-Anatomy-Inm and Micro-Behavioral Sciences-Pharmacology-Pathology).

Read the Kaplan Lecture Notes or substitute (pathoma and micro flashcards) and watch the corresponding videos (at 1.5x o 2x of speed). When I finish a whole subject/book Im going to read first aid section and afterwards do USMLERX for such subject i just studied.

When i finish all subjects give First Aid a read in 10 days. When Im done with FA start my Kaplan Qbank subscription and do as much as I can in 20 days (referring back to FA as needed). Start UWorld Qbank planning on finishing it on 25 days after that do one NBME. After do DIT (15 days) and try and do some more UWorld questions in between. When done with DIT another NBME. Evaluate my weak areas and quick read of FA with more attention to the weak subjects. Another NBME and then TEST DAY!

Any questions or any motivational message are welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doctor2k14 (08-15-2014), marwan80 (08-14-2014)



  #2  
Old 07-21-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Show Teeth First Update!

So right now I'm really excited! I just finished my Kaplan Physiology, which is 399 pages and 35 hours of video. Did it in exactly 6.5 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-21-2014
Mvp12's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
So right now I'm really excited! I just finished my Kaplan Physiology, which is 399 pages and 35 hours of video. Did it in exactly 6.5 days
Wow, I would like to be a fast pace reader like you. I can't read more than 50 pages per day . Your plan seems to be perfect to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Vany16 (07-21-2014)
  #4  
Old 07-21-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp12 View Post
Wow, I would like to be a fast pace reader like you. I can't read more than 50 pages per day . Your plan seems to be perfect to me.
50 page is a great amount to do in one day. I recognize I'm a sorta of fast reader (I've always loved to read) and I would average 60 pages per day + videos.

What method are you using? Watching the videos or reading the lectures first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-21-2014
Mvp12's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
50 page is a great amount to do in one day. I recognize I'm a sorta of fast reader (I've always loved to read) and I would average 60 pages per day + videos.

What method are you using? Watching the videos or reading the lectures first?
That's a point, I hate reading

I begin with a fast read first. I underline some things, then the videos (sometimes I write things in the margins of the book) and then I reread again but only the underline ones or the notes in the margins. I think I'm gonna skip the the reread but instead, I will do a quick review before bed. Forgetting things is unavoidable .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-21-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp12 View Post
That's a point, I hate reading

I begin with a fast read first. I underline some things, then the videos (sometimes I write things in the margins of the book) and then I reread again but only the underline ones or the notes in the margins. I think I'm gonna skip the the reread but instead, I will do a quick review before bed. Forgetting things is unavoidable .
I think that's a good idea, skipping the reread. This is how I did it; comprehensive reading of a section in the chapter and then watch the video corresponding to that section. While watching the videos I would annotate on the margins the hypothetical questions they said and everything they repeated a lot or said its HY. After the video I would read the next section and so on.

Something I just noticed now that i finished my first subject and began my "fast" review, is that writing the notes from Kaplan to FA takes a lot of time . So in my next subject I'm considering writing down the notes in FA at the end of each day, that way it doesn't accumulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Mvp12 (07-21-2014)
  #7  
Old 07-21-2014
Mvp12's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
I think that's a good idea, skipping the reread. This is how I did it; comprehensive reading of a section in the chapter and then watch the video corresponding to that section. While watching the videos I would annotate on the margins the hypothetical questions they said and everything they repeated a lot or said its HY. After the video I would read the next section and so on.

Something I just noticed now that i finished my first subject and began my "fast" review, is that writing the notes from Kaplan to FA takes a lot of time . So in my next subject I'm considering writing down the notes in FA at the end of each day, that way it doesn't accumulate.
That's true, specially for Biochem.

I will do the reading for the left material like you. Thanks. . Keep it up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Vany16 (08-06-2014)
  #8  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Info update

hi vany's step 1 adventure?please put up some updates.
on the road with you and want to know how far along you
have come since last post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanF View Post
hi vany's step 1 adventure?please put up some updates.
on the road with you and want to know how far along you
have come since last post.
Hey VanF! Glad you're also on the same road! I am currently doing Kaplan Biochem (blah) and already done with Physiology, Anatomy and Neuroanatomy. I have been doing USMLERx after I finish a subject, Qbanks are definitely great learning tools at this stage.

How about you VanF? How are you tackling this beast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
So right now I'm really excited! I just finished my Kaplan Physiology, which is 399 pages and 35 hours of video. Did it in exactly 6.5 days
How do you like the material so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze Xu View Post
How do you like the material so far.
Loved physiology, especially the Indian guy who did the cardio and resp chapters. Anatomy was something...histology only read the book since the guy in the video just reads of the slide...the older guy who does embryo and gross anatomy is great! Neuroanatomy is the same guy from the histology videos but here he does a better job. Although I also did a fast review of HY neuroanatomy. I'm on biochemistry right now and it's never been one of my favorites but the videos do help a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default where am i wrong

hi vany ! please tell me ! i dont wana say this but ur post a depressor to me am also doin first read but that fast? i mean how ? please guide me, what should be the aim of the first read, concept building n a fast read or the actual try of memorizing ? i think i try to memorize the things ,may be thats what taking me so long ! any suggestions n help would be appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

sorry for all the typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
Loved physiology, especially the Indian guy who did the cardio and resp chapters. Anatomy was something...histology only read the book since the guy in the video just reads of the slide...the older guy who does embryo and gross anatomy is great! Neuroanatomy is the same guy from the histology videos but here he does a better job. Although I also did a fast review of HY neuroanatomy. I'm on biochemistry right now and it's never been one of my favorites but the videos do help a lot.
Thanks. I am reading rapid review pathology+first aid. Not sure whether I should expand to Kaplan and pathoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybird24 View Post
hi vany ! please tell me ! i dont wana say this but ur post a depressor to me am also doin first read but that fast? i mean how ? please guide me, what should be the aim of the first read, concept building n a fast read or the actual try of memorizing ? i think i try to memorize the things ,may be thats what taking me so long ! any suggestions n help would be appreciated !
Hey there, every is different the important thing is comprehension! Well I kinda explained how I am doing the reading (read previous reply). To answer your question the aim of the first reading should be for comprehension, concept building NOT memorization. Why not memorization? it's practically impossible, it's too much information and a lot of it is low yield. After you have the knowledge base (when you finish first read) you can try and memorize by repetition the concepts that you already understand (thanks to the first read) from FA which is full of high yield info.

Also try to watch the videos at a faster speed; 1.5x or 2x

Hope it helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ladybird24 (08-05-2014)



  #16  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze Xu View Post
Thanks. I am reading rapid review pathology+first aid. Not sure whether I should expand to Kaplan and pathoma.
I haven't done path yet but I plan on doing pathoma and goljan (reference only). But from what I've heard Goljan is the best if you have the time and you shouldn't need Kaplan, since it sucks for path.

If you don't mind sharing...what have you done so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
I haven't done path yet but I plan on doing pathoma and goljan (reference only). But from what I've heard Goljan is the best if you have the time and you shouldn't need Kaplan, since it sucks for path.

If you don't mind sharing...what have you done so far?
I've just begun. Now am about to finish reading through rapid pathology and some organ in FA. I jump back and forth between FA and goljan, just to not get tired of the overwhelming info in Goljan. As people said pathology is the most important, I tried to squeeze more time for it. But Goljan is too too much. It would probably be a good idea to do pathoma just to focus on what is really needed for the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Honestly at this point, I am pretty freaked out bcz it seemed impossible to remember them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default thanks

thanku vany ! GL !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Vany16 (08-06-2014)
  #20  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

i have a similar prep, but wanted to ask you why not watching the micro videos? i heard theyre great, and if youre not watching the micro videos are you still doing micro from kaplan LN, or just the flash cards? Also, i was writing my notes into FA but i realized its wasting a shitload of time, and kaplan just has too much info to write even just the HY stuff into FA, so i just put all my kaplan pages into FA(my FA is in a big binder) bc all my notes are in the margins of kaplan, so i read the kaplan part and then read the FA part, its not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Smile following after you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
Hey VanF! Glad you're also on the same road! I am currently doing Kaplan Biochem (blah) and already done with Physiology, Anatomy and Neuroanatomy. I have been doing USMLERx after I finish a subject, Qbanks are definitely great learning tools at this stage.

How about you VanF? How are you tackling this beast?
Hi Vany, good to hear you have progressed.Actually following you,so started with physic 3days ago and want to finish it in 7days just like you hopefully.
so post how long it took to do the anatomy reading plus videos just as you did for physiology.
More grease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Vany16 (08-06-2014)
  #22  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringmd15 View Post
i have a similar prep, but wanted to ask you why not watching the micro videos? i heard theyre great, and if youre not watching the micro videos are you still doing micro from kaplan LN, or just the flash cards? Also, i was writing my notes into FA but i realized its wasting a shitload of time, and kaplan just has too much info to write even just the HY stuff into FA, so i just put all my kaplan pages into FA(my FA is in a big binder) bc all my notes are in the margins of kaplan, so i read the kaplan part and then read the FA part, its not that bad.
Well previous test takers that have done kaplan micro have told me personally that it's too much and FA is enough for Micro. Also Micro is not sooo much about comprehension it's more memorization and the videos from what I've heard are good but you can use the time you would've spent watching the videos trying to memorize the HY info for micro.

So I'm personally not doing Kaplan Micro LN or Videos. Im going to use flashcards and FA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanF View Post
Hi Vany, good to hear you have progressed.Actually following you,so started with physic 3days ago and want to finish it in 7days just like you hopefully.
so post how long it took to do the anatomy reading plus videos just as you did for physiology.
More grease.
I'm sure you're going to finish it, you just have to give it your all!

Anatomy is 480pgs and 24hrs of videos. Did it in 7.5 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Hi!

Im surprise for your progress it is actually inspiring keep your good job and good luck. by the way how many hours per day do you study and your following this program yourself or are preparing with someone else?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemiguel4f View Post
Im surprise for your progress it is actually inspiring keep your good job and good luck. by the way how many hours per day do you study and your following this program yourself or are preparing with someone else?

Thank you!
Hahahaha Jose Miguel! Yes I am preparing with someone! YOU! Everybody this is my study partner :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Vany16 are you a male or female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profe10P View Post
Vany16 are you a male or female?
Umm female...why the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 08-06-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Just being curious. Great plan. Wish the best of luck to you do you recommend to take notes from KLN into first aid. I've just started my prep(3days) and I don't knkw if its necessary to read the KLN or must watch fje videos and then read from FA. Although as you said it's to comprehend the topics mostly not to retain info. Hope to see your progressing doing great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 08-14-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringmd15 View Post
i have a similar prep, but wanted to ask you why not watching the micro videos? i heard theyre great, and if youre not watching the micro videos are you still doing micro from kaplan LN, or just the flash cards? Also, i was writing my notes into FA but i realized its wasting a shitload of time, and kaplan just has too much info to write even just the HY stuff into FA, so i just put all my kaplan pages into FA(my FA is in a big binder) bc all my notes are in the margins of kaplan, so i read the kaplan part and then read the FA part, its not that bad.
BTW thanks for the idea. I noticed the same thing...it takes too much time to witre the notes from Kaplan into FA, so I'm gonna follow your advice although my notes are in Kaplan MedEssentials so I'm just gonna unbind that book and FA and then bind them together .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 08-14-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default Update

Hello well I've finished Biochem and Genetics in 6.5 days. The book is 410 pages and 32 hours of videos. Afterwards I did USMLERx like always with my study partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 08-14-2014
deariederaa's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to deariederaa
Default

Hey Vany, great plan. I must say u must really b a fast reader indeed.
Wow! Cos I'm also on my first read and I've been on it for the last 3months. I'm presently on BCH now and I also study abt 10 hrs daily but there are like a 100 videos there and even tho I watch them on x1.5 , I always hav to pause to take it in.
I really wish I was as fast as u...
Keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Vany16 (08-14-2014)
  #32  
Old 08-14-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vany16 View Post
BTW thanks for the idea. I noticed the same thing...it takes too much time to witre the notes from Kaplan into FA, so I'm gonna follow your advice although my notes are in Kaplan MedEssentials so I'm just gonna unbind that book and FA and then bind them together .
so are you studying from kaplan medessentials or the kaplan LN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 08-14-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringmd15 View Post
so are you studying from kaplan medessentials or the kaplan LN?
I read from the lecture notes but I take my notes in medessentials since it's basically the graphs and tables from the lecture notes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmled10 (09-22-2014)
  #34  
Old 08-18-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Post Hey

you plan sounds perfect and so does your state of mind! you go girl!

i wanted to ask that how are you going to do pathology? i m starting pathology and should i listen to Goljan audio lectures first and then read the book? what is your plan? is it doable in 1 month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmled10 (11-05-2014)



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
imcv Step 1 Journal imcv USMLE Step 1 Forum 44 10-31-2016 06:29 PM
harlesmd Step 2 CK Journal harlesmd USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 06-29-2015 06:09 AM
my step 2 ck journal. udonwogu USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 11 08-10-2013 12:39 AM
Trying out a new adventure bassatom USMLE Links & Free Ads 1 07-19-2012 05:05 PM
IMG plans to adventure in USA pyro IMG/FMG Forum 2 09-02-2011 06:30 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)