MECRONI; a vancomycin mnemonic! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum > USMLE Step 1 High Yield > USMLE Step 1 Mnemonics

USMLE Step 1 Mnemonics Mnemonics, acronyms, reminders, and memorizing tips for the USMLE Step 1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 9
Thanked 36 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 46
Drug MECRONI; a vancomycin mnemonic!

Vancomycin loves 'MACRONI'
macroni spell 'mecroni'

Spectrum of the drug - MEC
M - MRSA
E - Enterococcus
C - Cl. difficle

Side effects - RON
R - Red man syndrome
O - Ototoxicity
N - Nephrotoxicity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ammar Raja (01-17-2011), bobby (12-29-2010), bronchiole (12-26-2010), dr z (12-28-2010), lee-usmle (12-26-2010), monsalg2502 (12-01-2011), riya10 (08-03-2011)



  #2  
Old 01-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 21
Threads: 10
Thanked 60 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

awesom..but wht is red man syn.??
__________________
shravya..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-08-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,230 Times in 411 Posts
Reputation: 1254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaseju View Post
Vancomycin loves 'MACRONI'
macroni spell 'mecroni'

Spectrum of the drug - MEC
M - MRSA
E - Enterococcus
C - Cl. difficle

Side effects - RON
R - Red man syndrome
O - Ototoxicity
N - Nephrotoxicity
nice! Maybe it would be easier to remember as:
Vancomycin is NECRO for MRSA

@Shravya: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC270616/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 01-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 21
Threads: 10
Thanked 60 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoshawan View Post
nice! Maybe it would be easier to remember as:
Vancomycin is NECRO for MRSA

@Shravya: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC270616/
well thank u so much..but that means all those drugs which cause increased histamine levels causes this red man syndrome..
so 4 MRSA if doc is vancomycin..then if pt. develops this syn
inspite of slow infusion what cud be the next Drug of choice for MRSA???
__________________
shravya..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-09-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,230 Times in 411 Posts
Reputation: 1254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.B.SHRAVYA View Post
well thank u so much..but that means all those drugs which cause increased histamine levels causes this red man syndrome..
so 4 MRSA if doc is vancomycin..then if pt. develops this syn
inspite of slow infusion what cud be the next Drug of choice for MRSA???
Well, local resistance patterns and susceptibility culturing would guide our choice of antibiotic, but next in line would be linezolid, daptomycin, tmp-smz, and tigecycline, according to DynaMed.

I think that for Step 1, Aditya's mnemonic covers it all - they would want us to know that vancomycin is used to treat lactam-resistant Staph and enterococci infections, Bacillus cereus infection, and Clostridium difficile (after metronidazole), and that it causes Red Man Syndrome and so should be administered slowly and that you might pre-treat with diphenhydramine antihistamine, and that the most serious adverse effects are ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 21
Threads: 10
Thanked 60 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoshawan View Post
Well, local resistance patterns and susceptibility culturing would guide our choice of antibiotic, but next in line would be linezolid, daptomycin, tmp-smz, and tigecycline, according to DynaMed.

I think that for Step 1, Aditya's mnemonic covers it all - they would want us to know that vancomycin is used to treat lactam-resistant Staph and enterococci infections, Bacillus cereus infection, and Clostridium difficile (after metronidazole), and that it causes Red Man Syndrome and so should be administered slowly and that you might pre-treat with diphenhydramine antihistamine, and that the most serious adverse effects are ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity...

thank u...
__________________
shravya..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Pharmacology-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)