best time to start MTB - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
USMLE Books best time to start MTB

hi guys ,

just finished cardio IM from Kaplan lecture notes and just got my MTB2 today,,,,,i am confused whether i should start it now or do it with uworld,,,,

any wise advice plzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-07-2011)



  #2  
Old 07-07-2011
Ace3's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 735
Threads: 89
Thanked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

As per majority of in forum advice give complete 1 reading of all subjects, and when you do mcq side by side do the explanation part with mtb and kaplan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
i_m_possible (07-07-2011)
  #3  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by confident View Post
As per majority of in forum advice give complete 1 reading of all subjects, and when you do mcq side by side do the explanation part with mtb and kaplan...

thanks ,,,
but this book is so tempting to be read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 07-07-2011
Ace3's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 735
Threads: 89
Thanked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
thanks ,,,
but this book is so tempting to be read
yes i can totally understand since i am supposed to receive my book today and i am getting too excited to start reading already...but will wait till finish first reading..since it make sense ...after kaplan i can have another fresh book to see same concepts, so it wont be monotonus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,254 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1268
Default

take my advise when u read a chapter in kaplan lec notes read that chapter in MTB so that u can have a review 2nd time read MTB bf exam or with uw
u will feel better if read it with lecture notes believe me
iwish i buy this book with my 1st reading
MTB is amazing a focus review i wish i have time to repeat it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-07-2011)
  #6  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss patho View Post
take my advise when u read a chapter in kaplan lec notes read that chapter in MTB so that u can have a review 2nd time read MTB bf exam or with uw
u will feel better if read it with lec notes believe me
iwish i buy this book with my 1st reading
MTB is amazing a focus review iwish ihave time to repeat it

thanks ,,,don't u think it will take more time to give first reading if i do kaplan and MTB together,,,,,but u r rite that the more times we do MTB the better it will be ,,,,,,,,,,,,IM in MTB is huge ,,,,,confused ,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-07-2011
Kais_MD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 299
Threads: 26
Thanked 177 Times in 103 Posts
Reputation: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
thanks ,,,don't u think it will take more time to give first reading if i do kaplan and MTB together,,,,,but u r rite that the more times we do MTB the better it will be ,,,,,,,,,,,,IM in MTB is huge ,,,,,confused ,,,,
just finished MTB.....I wished i had started earlier..So clear and consice in its explanation and order of things....I suggest reading it at least 3 times and then focus weakest subject with reading from kaplan and same thing in MTB..helps tremendously....Boosted my timed unsed uworld score to about 69%.....Good luck everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-07-2011), i_m_possible (07-07-2011)
  #8  
Old 07-07-2011
cool_atomic's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 472
Threads: 29
Thanked 224 Times in 135 Posts
Reputation: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kais_MD View Post
just finished MTB.....I wished i had started earlier..So clear and consice in its explanation and order of things....I suggest reading it at least 3 times and then focus weakest subject with reading from kaplan and same thing in MTB..helps tremendously....Boosted my timed unsed uworld score to about 69%.....Good luck everyone
i'm reading kaplan lecture notes 2nd time now, and after this, i will start uworld. I got my mtb2 but i planned doing it with uworld side by side. Is this a bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-07-2011)
  #9  
Old 07-07-2011
Ace3's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 735
Threads: 89
Thanked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_atomic View Post
i'm reading kaplan lecture notes 2nd time now, and after this, i will start uworld. I got my mtb2 but i planned doing it with uworld side by side. Is this a bad idea?
yeah i was planning something similar but for many revision i think need to start earlier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,254 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
thanks ,,,don't u think it will take more time to give first reading if i do kaplan and MTB together,,,,,but u r rite that the more times we do MTB the better it will be ,,,,,,,,,,,,IM in MTB is huge ,,,,,confused ,,,,
no it dont take time if u read the subject in kaplan lec notes then in MTB like a review for what u read iwish idid that b4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-07-2011)
  #11  
Old 07-07-2011
Ace3's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 735
Threads: 89
Thanked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss patho View Post
no it dont take time if u read the subject in kaplan lec notes then in MTB like a review for what u read iwish idid that b4

so when do u think its good time to read first aid? befor mtb or along with mtb...Any advice will be useful..thank u. hey@ impossible i just got the book i too felt to start immidiatly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,254 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by confident View Post
so when do u think its good time to read first aid? befor mtb or along with mtb...Any advice will be useful..thank u. hey@ impossible i just got the book i too felt to start immidiatly...
iam reading MTB subject then 1ST aid then i put notes in MTB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-07-2011), Sadalssud (07-07-2011)
  #13  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss patho View Post
iam reading MTB subject then 1ST aid then i put notes in MTB

i think i will follow wht miss patho recommended ,,,,,,read from kaplan lectures then do Qbook and MTB for that topic,,,,,

do we need to do first aid also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by confident View Post
so when do u think its good time to read first aid? befor mtb or along with mtb...Any advice will be useful..thank u. hey@ impossible i just got the book i too felt to start immidiatly...
@ confident same thng with me its really so tempting ,,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 07-07-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,254 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
i think i will follow wht miss patho recommended ,,,,,,read from kaplan lectures then do Qbook and MTB for that topic,,,,,

do we need to do first aid also
no need to do 1ST aid if u r reading the kaplan lec notes they r similar
dont confuse ur self
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-08-2011), i_m_possible (07-08-2011)



  #16  
Old 07-13-2011
abosaqr's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 12
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

believe it, there is nooo need to read IM from kaplan >>> MTB is tooo enough

kaplan IM book (including : preventive, derma, radio, ophthalmology, emergency) = 342 pages

mtb IM section (without those above) = 347 pages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abosaqr View Post
believe it, there is nooo need to read IM from kaplan >>> MTB is tooo enough

kaplan IM book (including : preventive, derma, radio, ophthalmology, emergency) = 342 pages

mtb IM section (without those above) = 347 pages

very true after reading MTB i feel its sufficient for IM, all concepts are explained very well in clinical orientation.
i dont know how well one can do uworld after just reading mtb for im,,,
but for other subjects i feel kalpan is must,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,254 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
very true after reading MTB i feel its sufficient for IM, all concepts are explained very well in clinical orientation.
i dont know how well one can do uworld after just reading mtb for im,,,
but for other subjects i feel kalpan is must,,,
someone post that he read only MTB medicine he couldnt solve uw question in neuro
i think basstom daily diary post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 175
Threads: 13
Thanked 246 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 256
Default MY obervations on MTB-2 in regards to Internal Medicine

I m just about finished with Internal medicine from watching the videos and notating and reading MTB with additions at the same time also after every unit im doing the uworld (online) question pertaining to that specific unit. I woulod go thru the kaplan notes afterwords just browsing not really studying it to see if there was any thing really missing, So far what ive found is that its an amazing book practically covering everything in he lecture notes some things are actually much better explained in a step wise fashion in MTB.

I do Have one complain though and that with watching fisher and trying to anotate MTB while listining to his lecture its almost impossible to do cuz he sprouts information from all over the place so even though i play the lectures at a higher speed ( around 1.8 for fisher and 2.3 for the others as they are too slow) i still end up taking alot of time for each video as i have to pause it continuously to go seach for the specific topic and add in those bits of info.

Its a long process adding those bits of info to each and everytopic specially with Uworld as u get tired after the first 20 but i feel that its an amazing review tool then as it will have al the info condensed and able to do a really rapid review without missing anything important.

MY book does look like crap though with all the notes in the margins between the text and all the underlining ( i tend to underline almost the whole text i know thats not how to do it but thats how i am) and the bits of paper added for those tables or important slides in the videos that have really good condensed info that isnt in MTB

A few key points though

Oncology is deficient in MTB as a whole, and i dont just mean the unit on oncology i mean the its noting most of the cancers, i feel kaplan notes as well as the lectures are also weak in that regard. Most of the information from cancers im getting from doing Uworld questions.

GI is preety good but has some major weaknesses
GI cancers are not touched on except screening for colon cancer( which is very well done thought) but it doenst describe the cancers though, it doesnt say anything about pancreatic cancer nor liver cancer
The Gallbladder wasnt even mentioned AT ALL not gallstones not cancer not problems , none of the bilirubinemeas were mentioned Also it doenst mention any of the cysts in the liver.

Heme as a whole wasnt bad no real major missing topics

Rheumatology again missing all of he cancers ie ewing osteosarcoma pages disease etc it also missed a few of the vasculitisis. but where it reaqlly was deficinet was the sports medicine portion i guess mainly it didn mention anything about the various bursitisis as well as the other inflamatory conditions ( again i added all this from Uworld questions)

Pulmonoogy i did the PFT and all the other diagnostic tests from kaplan notes as its not really there in MTB as well as the topic of effusions LUNG CANCER WASNT TOUCH UPON AT ALL!!!!!!! i mean at ALL , i was just amazed by tht considering how important it is.

Endocrine DM needs furthur studying it just wasnt enough ( i added alot from uworld) Thyroid diseases as a whoile were deficient in the description of the dieases as well as cancers

Cardio- How is HTN not included in cardio? they put it with renal but i dunno personally think it should be in cardio. Also the drugs used i feel werent sufficiently elaborated on , Mummurs/sounds i also wasnt happy with , Also endocarditis was with infectios diseases so needs to be reviewed there. It did miss the whole Acute rheumatic fever though.

allergy/immunolgy the immunodificiency werent enough for me i had to add in alot of info from my first aid from step 1

Infectios dieseases well its ok for whats there.. HIV needed some addative material from the notes as well as endocarditis

Renal - its missing anything about transplants, Nephrotic syndrome needed a little extra info ,the syndromes also werent touched upon ( bartter gittlemans fanconis)

OncologyBreast and prostate cancer were good the rest was a complete joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abosaqr (07-16-2011), Ace3 (07-18-2011), cool_atomic (07-13-2011), USMLE-Syndrome (07-13-2011), usmledee (07-13-2011)
  #20  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,254 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnas View Post
I m just about finished with Internal medicine from watching the videos and notating and reading MTB with additions at the same time also after every unit im doing the uworld (online) question pertaining to that specific unit. I woulod go thru the kaplan notes afterwords just browsing not really studying it to see if there was any thing really missing, So far what ive found is that its an amazing book practically covering everything in he lecture notes some things are actually much better explained in a step wise fashion in MTB.

I do Have one complain though and that with watching fisher and trying to anotate MTB while listining to his lecture its almost impossible to do cuz he sprouts information from all over the place so even though i play the lectures at a higher speed ( around 1.8 for fisher and 2.3 for the others as they are too slow) i still end up taking alot of time for each video as i have to pause it continuously to go seach for the specific topic and add in those bits of info.

Its a long process adding those bits of info to each and everytopic specially with Uworld as u get tired after the first 20 but i feel that its an amazing review tool then as it will have al the info condensed and able to do a really rapid review without missing anything important.

MY book does look like crap though with all the notes in the margins between the text and all the underlining ( i tend to underline almost the whole text i know thats not how to do it but thats how i am) and the bits of paper added for those tables or important slides in the videos that have really good condensed info that isnt in MTB

A few key points though

Oncology is deficient in MTB as a whole, and i dont just mean the unit on oncology i mean the its noting most of the cancers, i feel kaplan notes as well as the lectures are also weak in that regard. Most of the information from cancers im getting from doing Uworld questions.

GI is preety good but has some major weaknesses
GI cancers are not touched on except screening for colon cancer( which is very well done thought) but it doenst describe the cancers though, it doesnt say anything about pancreatic cancer nor liver cancer
The Gallbladder wasnt even mentioned AT ALL not gallstones not cancer not problems , none of the bilirubinemeas were mentioned Also it doenst mention any of the cysts in the liver.

Heme as a whole wasnt bad no real major missing topics

Rheumatology again missing all of he cancers ie ewing osteosarcoma pages disease etc it also missed a few of the vasculitisis. but where it reaqlly was deficinet was the sports medicine portion i guess mainly it didn mention anything about the various bursitisis as well as the other inflamatory conditions ( again i added all this from Uworld questions)

Pulmonoogy i did the PFT and all the other diagnostic tests from kaplan notes as its not really there in MTB as well as the topic of effusions LUNG CANCER WASNT TOUCH UPON AT ALL!!!!!!! i mean at ALL , i was just amazed by tht considering how important it is.

Endocrine DM needs furthur studying it just wasnt enough ( i added alot from uworld) Thyroid diseases as a whoile were deficient in the description of the dieases as well as cancers

Cardio- How is HTN not included in cardio? they put it with renal but i dunno personally think it should be in cardio. Also the drugs used i feel werent sufficiently elaborated on , Mummurs/sounds i also wasnt happy with , Also endocarditis was with infectios diseases so needs to be reviewed there. It did miss the whole Acute rheumatic fever though.

allergy/immunolgy the immunodificiency werent enough for me i had to add in alot of info from my first aid from step 1

Infectios dieseases well its ok for whats there.. HIV needed some addative material from the notes as well as endocarditis

Renal - its missing anything about transplants, Nephrotic syndrome needed a little extra info ,the syndromes also werent touched upon ( bartter gittlemans fanconis)

OncologyBreast and prostate cancer were good the rest was a complete joke
agree with u totally ihave to back to 1st aid and uw notes

there is some topic not covered

what about other chapters pedis and obs/gyne
where will u read them as review ?

Last edited by USMLE-Syndrome; 07-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 175
Threads: 13
Thanked 246 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 256
Default continued

Emergency Med u have to look up drug intoxifications from psychiatry but still the need a little more , . For most of the toxicology section it gave good managment info but not much on presentation info. Rabies just has 2 lines missing lots of key points.the HYperthermias really really need additional information( i added from Uworld
Cardia arrrhythmias are confusing so i cant blame MTB it had most of the info but ECGs need to be practiced to properly understand them its one thing to know what a delta wave is but its another thing to be able to "see" it on an EKG.

Psychiatry + Ethics wel i remembered alot from step 1 so im not sure if i MTB was enough or not but i didnt find myself adding much to it after doing questions.

Dermatology well its one of my weak points so i cant blame my low uworld score wholly on mtb but it does need alot more explanations on the presentations , hemangiomas werent touched upon and the tx plan for acne isnt that well explained the flow chart u get from one of the questions in uworld does it much better.

So thats my take on MTB so far, it was a long 2 posts but i hope if someones planning on using MTB or just started it takes these deficiency's into account and fix the weak spots so when they do uworld and wont be scoring low and more importantly get them setup for the real exam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abosaqr (07-16-2011), Ace3 (07-18-2011), USMLE-Syndrome (07-13-2011)
  #22  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 175
Threads: 13
Thanked 246 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 256
Default

I havent finished nuero yet so i cant comment on that ,

@Ms Patho -For peads im going to go for the kaplan notes the peads in MTB just isnt enough theres no way it covers whats needed and if i have to start adding to it i might as well staple an extra 50-60 pages.

My thoughts are to use it as a secondary source to fix up my kaplan book :P since i wont be watching the kaplan peads videos i have to read the full book

As for gyne well everyone says to rely on the videos so il probably do that ie watch the videos and annotate MTB as i progress as wel as adding uworld notes to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-18-2011), USMLE-Syndrome (07-13-2011)



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Preparation, USMLE-Books

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the best time to start USMLE way? ColdZero General Topics Forum 1 03-27-2011 10:49 AM
What is the right time to start qbanks for CK? medicine USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 02-05-2011 11:20 AM
What time does the exam start? ballu84 USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 10-30-2010 11:01 AM
At what time do the IV/Rej emails start coming ? raj123 IMG Residency Match Forum 1 09-04-2010 07:19 AM
How do I start? shraddha USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 02-20-2010 11:53 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)