pls help - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 253
Threads: 20
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default pls help

Hey Everyone,

I need some help/advice.

So I've been prepping for CK for 5-6 months now. Because I had a deadline to write my exam before as my extension period was about to expire, I rushed over UW once after studying and gave nbme 6 and scored 193. Thats when i decided to drop my exam as a whole. Now after one month of prepping again (i.e. now completing kaplan questions this time) and getting onto doing UW the second time (still not done UW), I gave NBME 6 again yesterday and got the same score, 193.

I am honestly very confused and very scared now. After one month I made no progress. I don't know what to do.
Should I keep doing UW and reviewing? Or figure out where I'm going wrong on the NBMEs?

Any advice will be appreciated. I'm really lost.

Pls help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-30-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

I'm not a fan of NMBEs. I think they underpredict significantly for step 2CK. Have you done UWSA??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-31-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 253
Threads: 20
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Hey, I did the UW assessment in June 2014. But I didn't pass it. I knew i wasn't ready and thAt was one of the reasons I decided to take the kaplan ck course in aug 2014.
I bought it again and am planning to do it by the end of jan once I'm through with the second round of UW.
I heard nbmes are good predictors for ck. A lot of my friends got their scores close to their nbmes.
What do you think I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-31-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star123 View Post
Hey, I did the UW assessment in June 2014. But I didn't pass it. I knew i wasn't ready and thAt was one of the reasons I decided to take the kaplan ck course in aug 2014.
I bought it again and am planning to do it by the end of jan once I'm through with the second round of UW.
I heard nbmes are good predictors for ck. A lot of my friends got their scores close to their nbmes.
What do you think I should do?
It depends on what you want. If you want a good score I think you should take a good three months and study uwqb thoroughly. Then take an nmbe and find where you stand. If you go through the experiences on this forum you'll see that UWSA is better than nmbes as predictors for step 2CK. The converse is true for step 1. I don't know how predictive they are when you repeat them since you'll remember questions you looked up.

Last edited by Volkmann; 12-31-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
star123 (01-04-2015)
  #5  
Old 01-03-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 19
Threads: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Add me on skype usmletutor3...attend a free demo class and then see what's lacking in ur preparation. U did a good job by not taking this exam as there was a high possibility that u we'd end up with a fail score or low pass. This exam is not very tough but it requires the right approach to take it. I passed this exam with 258 in oct 2014 and have been since tutoring for this exam. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
star123 (01-04-2015)
  #6  
Old 01-04-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star123 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I need some help/advice.

So I've been prepping for CK for 5-6 months now. Because I had a deadline to write my exam before as my extension period was about to expire, I rushed over UW once after studying and gave nbme 6 and scored 193. Thats when i decided to drop my exam as a whole. Now after one month of prepping again (i.e. now completing kaplan questions this time) and getting onto doing UW the second time (still not done UW), I gave NBME 6 again yesterday and got the same score, 193.

I am honestly very confused and very scared now. After one month I made no progress. I don't know what to do.
Should I keep doing UW and reviewing? Or figure out where I'm going wrong on the NBMEs?

Any advice will be appreciated. I'm really lost.

Pls help
i dont think there is a short cut here.. you should try to prepare hard... try doing uworld subject wise again after going through the material.... i dont think a score of 193 will get you anywhere to be honest... make sure you dont regret your decisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
star123 (01-04-2015)
  #7  
Old 01-04-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepupnow View Post
i dont think there is a short cut here.. you should try to prepare hard... try doing uworld subject wise again after going through the material.... i dont think a score of 193 will get you anywhere to be honest... make sure you dont regret your decisions
if you need any more help msg me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
star123 (01-04-2015)
  #8  
Old 01-04-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 253
Threads: 20
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepupnow View Post
i dont think there is a short cut here.. you should try to prepare hard... try doing uworld subject wise again after going through the material.... i dont think a score of 193 will get you anywhere to be honest... make sure you dont regret your decisions
Hey there,
I did Kaplan subject wise after doing UW random (as I was rushing to make it in time before my CK extension period expired), after my step 2 CK kaplan course. Right now I have started again with UW random. I feel like I know my material but I am having a hard time understanding the questions. The elimination method works when I do UW questions but I tried doing it for NBME and it didnt work at all. NBME seems very vague for me.
I am planning on doing the UW assessment after I complete this round of ramdom UW questions and once I am closer to my exam.

Any advice on tackling the questions? Besides doing alot of them lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-04-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 253
Threads: 20
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmletutor3 View Post
Add me on skype usmletutor3...attend a free demo class and then see what's lacking in ur preparation. U did a good job by not taking this exam as there was a high possibility that u we'd end up with a fail score or low pass. This exam is not very tough but it requires the right approach to take it. I passed this exam with 258 in oct 2014 and have been since tutoring for this exam. Good luck
Thank you! I will add you on skype. You're right...I need to learn the approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-04-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 253
Threads: 20
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
It depends on what you want. If you want a good score I think you should take a good three months and study uwqb thoroughly. Then take an nmbe and find where you stand. If you go through the experiences on this forum you'll see that UWSA is better than nmbes as predictors for step 2CK. The converse is true for step 1. I don't know how predictive they are when you repeat them since you'll remember questions you looked up.
Thank you for the reply. Thats what I am doing now. Going to complete the second round of random UW questions and then take the assessment and NBME 7 and decide from there.
That may be the reason why I didnt increase on my score, now that I really think about it, was because I rushed through the first round of UW after the Kaplan course to make it in time for my extension. But I wasnt ready and I knew that too.

Do you have skype or somthing I can add you on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me pls Sandy USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 11-30-2014 07:22 AM
pls help kavyak IMG Visa Issues 0 05-23-2013 02:55 PM
I need help pls achistikbenny USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 02-22-2012 03:07 AM
pls tell me what this mean priya1 ECFMG Forum 1 10-05-2011 06:58 AM
i need help pls achistikbenny General Topics Forum 0 07-24-2010 03:02 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)