Most commonly injured organ in blunt abdominal trauma? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
GIT Most commonly injured organ in blunt abdominal trauma?

which is the commonest visceral injury in blunt abd trauma??
Kaplan says its liver...(though commonest cause of significant bleed is spleen...)

n uworld says commonest injury is spleen....n 2nd is liver ( q.id 2327 (376069) )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 09-07-2011
dr_mhm's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 460
Threads: 100
Thanked 235 Times in 147 Posts
Reputation: 245
Default

I'm not sure but I would go for commonest is liver but most dangerous is spleen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aasiaafzal (09-07-2011)
  #3  
Old 09-07-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 239
Threads: 3
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

in a blunt abd trauma, the most common organ to damage is the spleen, even u look at kaplan surgery abd trauma vignette no.20 a blunt adb trauma case(2008-2009) edition..there in management explanation they mentioned most likely finding will be ruptured spleen. so just follow uworld.
__________________
I'm Predictable In The Unpredictable Future !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aasiaafzal (09-08-2011)
 
  #4  
Old 09-07-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryogi View Post
in a blunt abd trauma,the most common organ to damage is the spleen, even u look at kaplan surgery abd trauma vignette no.20 a blunt adb trauma case(2008-2009) edition..there in management explanation they mentioned most likely finding will be ruptured spleen. so just follow uworld.
yes but in that vignette, pt is severly hypotensive with low cvp....s we all agree that for clinically significant bleed, splenic injury is commonest cause....
but kaplan says that if all insignificant n significant injuries r counted, liver is more common...wheras uworld contradicts that..

i also think uworld is wrong...but was finding any reference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-07-2011
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

yes even i read in kaplan ,most common visceral injury is liver if u count all significant n insignificant intra-abdominal bleeding ,but for most significant bleeding it is ruptured spleen ,I think which is more imp. due to its immunological consequences as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aasiaafzal (09-08-2011), mzee74 (09-08-2011)
  #6  
Old 09-08-2011
natashaqutab's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
yes even i read in kaplan ,most common visceral injury is liver if u count all significant n insignificant intra-abdominal bleeding ,but for most significant bleeding it is ruptured spleen ,I think which is more imp. due to its immunological consequences as well.
true...most common injury is to liver bt most dangerous id spleen...bt i have seen a few cases presenting with injury to pancreas n it was fatal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aasiaafzal (09-08-2011)
  #7  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaqutab View Post
true...most common injury is to liver bt most dangerous id spleen...bt i have seen a few cases presenting with injury to pancreas n it was fatal
yes injury 2 pancreas is also serious, but most of the pancreas is retroperitoneal, so its injury is not that common as compared to spleen, liver n kidney....in blunt trauma
so at the moment we all agree that liver is more common n spleen is more dangerous...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
natashaqutab (09-08-2011)
  #8  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 373
Threads: 30
Thanked 375 Times in 160 Posts
Reputation: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasiaafzal View Post
which is the commonest visceral injury in blunt abd trauma??
Kaplan says its liver...(though commonest cause of significant bleed is spleen...)

n uworld says commonest injury is spleen....n 2nd is liver ( q.id 2327 (376069) )
I think for the purpose of exam, we will have to concentrate on the mechanism of the injury to determine whether its liver or splenic injury. We cannot rely of the incidence alone to differentiate between the two, we have to take into account the mechanism of injury, physical findings & do either FAST ultrasound or CT scan to make a final diagnosis.

But coming back to the question which is more common. I would agree that Liver injuries are more common although they usually go mostly unreported as we usually manage them conservatively.

So i would also go with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mhm View Post
I'm not sure but I would go for commonest is liver but most dangerous is spleen.
I also couldn't find any references in support of kaplan's claim as most favor UW's claim.
__________________
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aasiaafzal (09-08-2011), ag2011n (09-08-2011)
  #9  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by step1an View Post
I think for the purpose of exam, we will have to concentrate on the mechanism of the injury to determine whether its liver or splenic injury. We cannot rely of the incidence alone to differentiate between the two, we have to take into account the mechanism of injury, physical findings & do either FAST ultrasound or CT scan to make a final diagnosis.

But coming back to the question which is more common. I would agree that Liver injuries are more common although they usually go mostly unreported as we usually manage them conservatively.

So i would also go with that


I also couldn't find any references in support of kaplan's claim as most favor UW's claim.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-08-2011
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasiaafzal View Post
Agreed
hey do u suggest trying form nbme 1 ?I planing to take one of them ,I know 2 n 4 r imp..now i want to choose between 1 n3 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
hey do u suggest trying form nbme 1 ?I planing to take one of them ,I know 2 n 4 r imp..now i want to choose between 1 n3 .
i wont be the appropriate person to ask... havent taken any 1 of them yet, though will b taking it soon....
but what i have read in the forum is that form 1 is quite old...
Moreover the purpose of taking these forms is not practice, but ur assessment that whether u r prepared enough to take the exam or not...so i think u donot have to take them all..just take any 1, say form 3 or 4, n c where u stand...!!
n do wait for an experienced opinion...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iron (09-09-2011)
  #12  
Old 09-09-2011
Kais_MD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 299
Threads: 26
Thanked 177 Times in 103 Posts
Reputation: 187
Default

They are both right...depending on the Context of the question...
Spleen is the most common cause of SIGNIFICANT bleeding in Blunt ABD trauma..
Liver is the Most common cause if you add ALL SIGNIFICANT & NON SIGNIFICANT causes....
__________________
Always Remember (The Devil is in the Details) @_@
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 09-09-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kais_MD View Post
They are both right...depending on the Context of the question...
Spleen is the most common cause of SIGNIFICANT bleeding in Blunt ABD trauma..
Liver is the Most common cause if you add ALL SIGNIFICANT & NON SIGNIFICANT causes....
hey i think u had ur exam a few days ago...??ryt??
how did it go??? n what would b ur advice for those of us who have only 20-25 days left before the exam???
how were the audio visual sections? n how many pictures n audios??
was time a factor?? how were psychiatry n ethical questions?? wierd or usual??
n im really sorry for asking too many questions:sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 09-10-2011
Kais_MD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 299
Threads: 26
Thanked 177 Times in 103 Posts
Reputation: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasiaafzal View Post
hey i think u had ur exam a few days ago...??ryt??
how did it go??? n what would b ur advice for those of us who have only 20-25 days left before the exam???
how were the audio visual sections? n how many pictures n audios??
was time a factor?? how were psychiatry n ethical questions?? wierd or usual??
n im really sorry for asking too many questions:sorry:
sorry not yet..its on the 13th...so 2 more days to go ....
hmmm at this point i am not worried about anything in particular...maybe a bit of neuro since i am lacking...we'll see
__________________
Always Remember (The Devil is in the Details) @_@
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 09-10-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 168
Threads: 24
Thanked 256 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kais_MD View Post
sorry not yet..its on the 13th...so 2 more days to go ....
hmmm at this point i am not worried about anything in particular...maybe a bit of neuro since i am lacking...we'll see
sure...!!best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Tags
Emergency-Medicine, Gastrointestinal-Tract-, Surgery-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blunt Injury with labeled CT Scan! ricko335 USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 09-07-2011 12:11 PM
trauma ricko335 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 08-19-2011 04:56 AM
what do you think of first aid organ system usmleman2020 USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 08-18-2011 09:06 PM
19 year old girl vomits after meals--commonly associated symptoms? aksyonez USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 4 06-21-2011 08:08 AM
Penetrating abdominal trauma: FAST? docoftheworld USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 06-07-2011 07:39 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)