How I passed Step 2 CK in 12 days – tips - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 63
Arrow How I passed Step 2 CK in 12 days – tips

Hello everyone,
I’d like to share my experience of passing Step 2 CK in September 2011 at my first attempt, after 12 days of revision. This may not be useful for many of you, as my sole aim was to pass the exam as I have already secured a subspecialty clinical fellowship in ophthalmology in the USA. I did not need a high score.

ABOUT ME
You may have already read my thread in this forum about passing Step 1 after 54 days and Step 2 CS after 17 days of revision. (Step 1: How I passed Step 1 in 54 days, tips, Step 2 CS: How I passed Step 2 CS in 17 days - lesson & tips)

For those who haven’t, I am a board certified ophthalmologist in the U.K. I went to medical school in the UK, and graduated 11 years ago. I am of Asian origin and grew up in Asia. I have not done any general medicine or surgery for 10 years - only ophthalmology. I am taking the USMLEs for the reason I have highlighted in the first paragraph.

WHAT USMLE STEPS HAD I TAKEN BEFORE STEP 2 CK?

USMLE Step.........Revision days.....Exam date..........Results date
2 CS...................17....................20th June 2011....Aug 2011
1........................54...................14th Aug 2011......8th Sept 2011

Details relating to current thread:
(2 CK ..................12...................26th Sept 2011.....19th Oct 2011

HOW DID I PREPARE?
I commenced my Step 2 CK preparation about 5 days after receiving my Step 1 results. I used the following RESOURCES ONLY:
1. Master The Boards for Step 2 CK, Fischer 2010 – my main book.
2. USMLE World Step 2 CK Question Bank - online
3. First Aid for Step 1, 2011 (yes, step 1!) – relevant info only via index
4. First Aid for Step 2 CK, Le 2009 – High Yield tables and images only at end of book. Did not read chapters.
5. NBME self-assessment form number 2 (comprehensive clinical science)
As you can see, I only had 12 days to revise. Time was very short (as has been the pattern with all my other USMLE Steps if you read my other threads). Thus, I was forced to limit the number of books I used to just 3 texts (Master the Boards used 90+% of the time). I needed to be extremely focused and targeted with my revision. I agree with other forum posts about using more books for a higher score and if you have more time.

THIS WAS MY ACTUAL PREPARATION TIMELINE:
1. Days 1-3:
Read through / learned about 60% of Master The Boards. I realized I was taking too long, thus I moved on to the questions.

2. Days 4-10:
I did the USMLE World Qbank. I only managed about 600 questions (unlike Step 1 where I did over 1700 questions). Instead of using the “Tutor Mode” system by system as I exclusively did for Step 1, I used the “Timed” mode only and mixed all the question-types every single time. I changed my qbank style, as I realised my time management for the Step 1 exam could’ve been improved. On average, I scored about 5-10% better on the UW Step 2 CK Qbank compared with Step 1.

I referred to First Aid for Step 1 quite a lot, surprisingly! There is some useful clinically relevant stuff in that book, and as I had taken Step 1 just a few weeks beforehand, I knew the book reasonably well and could find stuff more quickly. Master The Boards is a relatively easy read, but the index section is not the best and I didn’t want to spend too much time looking up exam-specific clinical information. I read additional relevant Master the Boards pages as I did the Qbank. All in all, I think I covered about 70% of Master the Boards, once (I was hoping to read it through 100% twice – never happened as no time!)

3. Day 11:

This was 2 days before my Step 2 CK exam. Judging from how I was performing better on UW Qbank compared to my previous Step 1 prep, I was reasonably confident I knew enough to pass. To be certain, I took the NBME Comprehensive Self-Assessment Form number 2. Scored 390, which is equivalent to 204 on USMLE (pass = 189)

4. Day 12:
I picked up my First Aid for Step 2 CK for the first time. I read through the High Yield summary tables/section and images at the end of the book, twice. I found that it was very useful, especially for reminding me about statistical formulas, etc.


EXAM DAY EXPERIENCE:

I took Step 2 CK on 26th of September 2011.

It wasn’t as tough as Step 1, but it wasn’t easy by any means and certainly seemed more difficult to me than NBME or UW Qbank. I was certain I had scored lower than NBME self-assessment, and wasn’t actually 100% sure about passing.

As it turns out, I scored 206/86 (pass 189/75). Exactly what I needed.

SUMMARY & CONCLUSION:

You probably already know that Step 2 CK is much easier than Step 1. I revised for 12 days, rather than 54 days for Step 1, or 17 days for Step 2 CS. I think the advantage (if there is one!) of me cramming all the exams within a 3-month period is that I still retained some relevant clinical knowledge from the previous exams. That definitely helped.

If I had 10 extra days to read through Master the Boards 100%, twice, I’m sure I would’ve scored significantly higher. As it turned out, I only read about 70% of it, once. I did NOT use 95% of First Aid for Step 2 CK, because I thought there was too much information in there for what I needed (to pass after 12 days of studying).

I hope everyone who is about to embark upon Step 2CK can glean something useful from my experience. Specifically, regardless of what score you are aiming towards, you can at least be confident of pass with less than 2 weeks of solid and very focused studying. You can then extrapolate how much extra time you’d need to get a high score.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ayodee (12-03-2014), Batteryshed (10-25-2011), Chemole (10-25-2011), Dr. Mexito (02-04-2013), Fo'sh (10-25-2011), mmtj (10-25-2011)



  #2  
Old 10-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 12
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

gr8 job and good luck with ur future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtj View Post
gr8 job and good luck with ur future
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 10-25-2011
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Thumbs Up

ROFL , I've got 20 days left to the test after 8 months of studying & I feel like I've not time for revision .
Great Job man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Lara (12-08-2012)
  #5  
Old 10-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
ROFL , I've got 20 days left to the test after 8 months of studying & I feel like I've not time for revision .
Great Job man.
You need a high score, I don't.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-30-2011
Seetal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 919
Threads: 134
Thanked 1,310 Times in 364 Posts
Reputation: 1333
Send a message via MSN to Seetal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreflex View Post
You need a high score, I don't.

Good luck!
thanks for the tips. very useful although i cant say all of us can apply that as u said we need a high score and you didnt.

this may be a little off topic, but can u possibly start a new thread on how u managed to score a place in fellowship? and perhaps some advice on USCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
amykaur (10-30-2011), fido256 (12-18-2014)
  #7  
Old 12-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreflex View Post
Hello everyone,
I’d like to share my experience of passing Step 2 CK in September 2011 at my first attempt, after 12 days of revision. This may not be useful for many of you, as my sole aim was to pass the exam as I have already secured a subspecialty clinical fellowship in ophthalmology in the USA. I did not need a high score.

ABOUT ME
You may have already read my thread in this forum about passing Step 1 after 54 days and Step 2 CS after 17 days of revision. (Step 1: How I passed Step 1 in 54 days, tips, Step 2 CS: How I passed Step 2 CS in 17 days - lesson & tips)

For those who haven’t, I am a board certified ophthalmologist in the U.K. I went to medical school in the UK, and graduated 11 years ago. I am of Asian origin and grew up in Asia. I have not done any general medicine or surgery for 10 years - only ophthalmology. I am taking the USMLEs for the reason I have highlighted in the first paragraph.

WHAT USMLE STEPS HAD I TAKEN BEFORE STEP 2 CK?

USMLE Step.........Revision days.....Exam date..........Results date
2 CS...................17....................20th June 2011....Aug 2011
1........................54...................14th Aug 2011......8th Sept 2011

Details relating to current thread:
(2 CK ..................12...................26th Sept 2011.....19th Oct 2011

HOW DID I PREPARE?
I commenced my Step 2 CK preparation about 5 days after receiving my Step 1 results. I used the following RESOURCES ONLY:
1. Master The Boards for Step 2 CK, Fischer 2010 – my main book.
2. USMLE World Step 2 CK Question Bank - online
3. First Aid for Step 1, 2011 (yes, step 1!) – relevant info only via index
4. First Aid for Step 2 CK, Le 2009 – High Yield tables and images only at end of book. Did not read chapters.
5. NBME self-assessment form number 2 (comprehensive clinical science)
As you can see, I only had 12 days to revise. Time was very short (as has been the pattern with all my other USMLE Steps if you read my other threads). Thus, I was forced to limit the number of books I used to just 3 texts (Master the Boards used 90+% of the time). I needed to be extremely focused and targeted with my revision. I agree with other forum posts about using more books for a higher score and if you have more time.

THIS WAS MY ACTUAL PREPARATION TIMELINE:
1. Days 1-3:
Read through / learned about 60% of Master The Boards. I realized I was taking too long, thus I moved on to the questions.

2. Days 4-10:
I did the USMLE World Qbank. I only managed about 600 questions (unlike Step 1 where I did over 1700 questions). Instead of using the “Tutor Mode” system by system as I exclusively did for Step 1, I used the “Timed” mode only and mixed all the question-types every single time. I changed my qbank style, as I realised my time management for the Step 1 exam could’ve been improved. On average, I scored about 5-10% better on the UW Step 2 CK Qbank compared with Step 1.

I referred to First Aid for Step 1 quite a lot, surprisingly! There is some useful clinically relevant stuff in that book, and as I had taken Step 1 just a few weeks beforehand, I knew the book reasonably well and could find stuff more quickly. Master The Boards is a relatively easy read, but the index section is not the best and I didn’t want to spend too much time looking up exam-specific clinical information. I read additional relevant Master the Boards pages as I did the Qbank. All in all, I think I covered about 70% of Master the Boards, once (I was hoping to read it through 100% twice – never happened as no time!)

3. Day 11:

This was 2 days before my Step 2 CK exam. Judging from how I was performing better on UW Qbank compared to my previous Step 1 prep, I was reasonably confident I knew enough to pass. To be certain, I took the NBME Comprehensive Self-Assessment Form number 2. Scored 390, which is equivalent to 204 on USMLE (pass = 189)

4. Day 12:
I picked up my First Aid for Step 2 CK for the first time. I read through the High Yield summary tables/section and images at the end of the book, twice. I found that it was very useful, especially for reminding me about statistical formulas, etc.


EXAM DAY EXPERIENCE:

I took Step 2 CK on 26th of September 2011.

It wasn’t as tough as Step 1, but it wasn’t easy by any means and certainly seemed more difficult to me than NBME or UW Qbank. I was certain I had scored lower than NBME self-assessment, and wasn’t actually 100% sure about passing.

As it turns out, I scored 206/86 (pass 189/75). Exactly what I needed.

SUMMARY & CONCLUSION:

You probably already know that Step 2 CK is much easier than Step 1. I revised for 12 days, rather than 54 days for Step 1, or 17 days for Step 2 CS. I think the advantage (if there is one!) of me cramming all the exams within a 3-month period is that I still retained some relevant clinical knowledge from the previous exams. That definitely helped.

If I had 10 extra days to read through Master the Boards 100%, twice, I’m sure I would’ve scored significantly higher. As it turned out, I only read about 70% of it, once. I did NOT use 95% of First Aid for Step 2 CK, because I thought there was too much information in there for what I needed (to pass after 12 days of studying).

I hope everyone who is about to embark upon Step 2CK can glean something useful from my experience. Specifically, regardless of what score you are aiming towards, you can at least be confident of pass with less than 2 weeks of solid and very focused studying. You can then extrapolate how much extra time you’d need to get a high score.

Good luck!
please I need Master the boards Usmle step ck2 and step 3 , I need it urgent, my email is dr_azeezah@hotmail.com , and I need any important notes for step 1 and step 2 ck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzan aa View Post
please I need Master the boards Usmle step ck2 and step 3 , I need it urgent, my email is dr_azeezah@hotmail.com , and I need any important notes for step 1 and step 2 ck
please can u send the book master the boards usmle to me , i need it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-25-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Experience, Step-2-CK-Study-Plans

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How I passed Step 2 CS in 17 days - lesson & tips Redreflex USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 16 2 Weeks Ago 04:54 PM
How I passed Step 1 in 54 days, tips Redreflex USMLE Step 1 Forum 13 11-13-2016 11:50 AM
100 Days passed and no Visa response! mohjar IMG Visa Issues 10 07-04-2011 01:11 PM
Author of 'USMLE Step 1 Made Ridiculously Simple' Gives Tips Dr.Sidd USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 11-24-2010 01:01 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)