Help with Step 2 Prep please! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Planning Help with Step 2 Prep please!

Hey everyone!

I am an IMG and graduated in 2007. I just got done with Step 1 and haven't managed to score well. I got a 208/79. I read somewhere that this score of Step 1 just closes down the options for me. I don't know how true that is. If someone can comment on this, please feel free to. However, there's no way that I am ending my journey though. I have always aimed for Psychiatry or PM&R, even Family Med would do. I basically would be considering a residency which wouldn't be too much of nights and all.

Anyhow, I am planning to set up a schedule for the CK and I am all confused about it. I did get some real good suggestions from some forum members but I still want to go ahead and discuss. I need to get a good score this time thus help needed please:sorry:

Well here's what I have in mind :

1. Do Kaplan Lecture Notes for all subjects but use Conrad for Ethics and Step 1 Behavioral Sciences. WIll doing KLN once only suffice?

2. Plan to listen to the lecture videos but not sure if I should do this or not. I have seen the polls but I want someone to sincerely guide me that will this be a waste of time or should I do them (keeping in mind my Step 1 score). And if I end up using them, which ones should I listen to? I don't want to waste any time at all.

3. Do Kaplan Qbank as much as I can in 15-20 days and do this subject wise (along with my first read).

4. Do MTB-2 after my first read. Or should I do this along with my first read?

5. After KLN, Kaplan Qbank, and MTB-2 move onto Uworld and spend about 1.5 months on it.

6.Take atleast 2 NBMEs.

Hopefully I will be able to finish this in 4-5 months, actually I have to (personal reasons,no other choice)...Please let me know what you guys think about this. I want to score better this time. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 11-18-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Default

Hi
I would recommend tht you subscribe to UW right ahead.. because everything in UW is important. The explanations cover much of the syllabus that all books together do not cover.. plus it will take time to go through it if u plan on reading all the explanations. Use it as both testing and learning tool.

My suggestion would be to subscribe to Kaplan Qbank in the last month and use it primarily as a tool to practice questions.

While u read KLN jot down imp points in yr MTB so tht u dont have to open Kaplan again, and can revise it when u read and revise MTB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-19-2011)
  #3  
Old 11-19-2011
Seetal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 919
Threads: 134
Thanked 1,310 Times in 364 Posts
Reputation: 1333
Send a message via MSN to Seetal
Default

There's still much hope for u. step 1 counts less than step 2ck. even then, it all depends on how u are in impressing the doctors u follow during ur clinical experience. doctors in real like to see ur passion more than the scores. whats the point of high scores alone when u are afraid of touching ur patients or cant seem to do a simple history taking? but then again, good scores and good attitude plus enthusiasm, just brings u there. nevertheless, dont give up, good luck with step 2ck. i like ur plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-19-2011)
 
  #4  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICE View Post
Hi
I would recommend tht you subscribe to UW right ahead.. because everything in UW is important. The explanations cover much of the syllabus that all books together do not cover.. plus it will take time to go through it if u plan on reading all the explanations. Use it as both testing and learning tool.

My suggestion would be to subscribe to Kaplan Qbank in the last month and use it primarily as a tool to practice questions.

While u read KLN jot down imp points in yr MTB so tht u dont have to open Kaplan again, and can revise it when u read and revise MTB.

Thanks! I like your idea better of annotating my MTB with KLN during the first read. Will do so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 79
Threads: 12
Thanked 213 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 225
Default

This is my personal thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-19-2011)
  #6  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirh899 View Post
This is my personal thought

1. Ok, so would you still recommend Conrad for Ethics or not?

2. Did you do MTB at all?

3. How are the subjects tested on the exam? I've heard that Internal Med is the highest yield while others just show up randomly. How true is that?

Last edited by doc Mm; 11-19-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 79
Threads: 12
Thanked 213 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Mm View Post
1. Ok, so would you still recommend Conrad for Ethics or not? Definitely

2. Did you do MTB at all? No, I even have not seen the book!

3. How are the subjects tested on the exam? I've heard that Internal Med is the highest yield while others just show up randomly. How true is that?
The same occured to me, IM> Obs/gyn>pediatrics> psychiatry and biostat> surgery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-19-2011)
  #8  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 175
Threads: 13
Thanked 241 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 251
Default

One thing that i would like to note down You said your score was a 79 /208. You have to know that the 79 people get from taking the exam now is not eqivalent to the 79 people used to get before ur score is a 208. Its comparable to everyone else who got a 208. The 2 digit score is to be ignored for all else besides saying its above 75. The programs will be looking at 3 digit scores now. And your 3 digit score though not great isnt bad . It is competative for FM and Psychiatry without issue i think.

That being said though unfortunaly most people are still in the habit of looking at the 2 digit scores thinking its a percentile or whatever but its not. Its some weird number NBME made up using their own formula which doenst make sense to anyone else but them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-19-2011)
  #9  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 79
Threads: 12
Thanked 213 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 225
Default

I have made some calculations with scores the people announced after October, It seems that 100 equals 330. Though I might be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnas View Post
One thing that i would like to note down You said your score was a 79 /208. You have to know that the 79 people get from taking the exam now is not eqivalent to the 79 people used to get before ur score is a 208. Its comparable to everyone else who got a 208. The 2 digit score is to be ignored for all else besides saying its above 75. The programs will be looking at 3 digit scores now. And your 3 digit score though not great isnt bad . It is competative for FM and Psychiatry without issue i think.

That being said though unfortunaly most people are still in the habit of looking at the 2 digit scores thinking its a percentile or whatever but its not. Its some weird number NBME made up using their own formula which doenst make sense to anyone else but them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-19-2011)
  #10  
Old 11-19-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Thanks guys! I will use Conrad for Ethics and will keep FA along too (will check topics), but I will still use MTB as I don't want to take the risk of missing out on that book. I have decided to study surgery first, followed by psych>obs/gyn>paeds>Intl.Med.

Can you also please guide me where to do the images (x-rays,MRIs,etc from)? And how many images actually show up on the exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 11-20-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 175
Threads: 13
Thanked 241 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 251
Default

Personal opionion i would recommend to do internal med first. Reason is

1)its the largest and most high yeild subject.

2) When you are doing the other subjects (peads gyne etc etc) You will come across topics that are similar/ based on internal med. This will give you a chance to review that topic again and make sure you remember it. When i was doing peads i spent more time going over my internal med book than i did with my peads books as i would come across a topic i had done in IM and would go back to it to check what was different OR review it if i didnt remember it properly. This would help to solidify/ consolidate that info in my memory.

3) Your IM studies will help you with every other subject afterwords when you are studying them.

AS for images there was a thread here which had a zip file of all the imprtant images you need to know. I used my MTB pics and those images to prepare and it was more than enough. As for how many questions i remember seing atleast 1-2 in each block for me but each persons test varies some may get more some less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doc Mm (11-20-2011), ela_5 (11-29-2011)
  #12  
Old 11-20-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnas View Post
Personal opionion i would recommend to do internal med first. Reason is

1)its the largest and most high yeild subject.

2) When you are doing the other subjects (peads gyne etc etc) You will come across topics that are similar/ based on internal med. This will give you a chance to review that topic again and make sure you remember it. When i was doing peads i spent more time going over my internal med book than i did with my peads books as i would come across a topic i had done in IM and would go back to it to check what was different OR review it if i didnt remember it properly. This would help to solidify/ consolidate that info in my memory.

3) Your IM studies will help you with every other subject afterwords when you are studying them.

AS for images there was a thread here which had a zip file of all the imprtant images you need to know. I used my MTB pics and those images to prepare and it was more than enough. As for how many questions i remember seing atleast 1-2 in each block for me but each persons test varies some may get more some less.

Now that I already started surgery, I will just ahead and finish it up as I hate surgery! and then I can move to Internal Med. I like your advice. Hopefully obs/gyn won't take long. I have some good clinical experience working in OBGYN and I read BRS twice or thrice then. Thanks for the advice!Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 11-28-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 537
Threads: 80
Thanked 344 Times in 138 Posts
Reputation: 376
Default

your plan is very much similar to mine...
you can go thru it here

Finally starting my CK prep today....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 11-28-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 537
Threads: 80
Thanked 344 Times in 138 Posts
Reputation: 376
Default

and yes i do recommend videos as it serves as a revision atleast.remember the more times u read the same passage the more likely you r to retain.this has helped me in step1.am sure it isnt a waste of time.listen the video 1st then go through the notes quickly it wont take much time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 11-29-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonu.agarwall View Post
and yes i do recommend videos as it serves as a revision atleast.remember the more times u read the same passage the more likely you r to retain.this has helped me in step1.am sure it isnt a waste of time.listen the video 1st then go through the notes quickly it wont take much time

Oh wow!It's quite a similar plan Sonu. I had my exam on 27th October and I haven't started studying yet, it's been more than a month and I am feeling so guilty now. I am planning to take my exam in April (beginning or mid). Anyhow, would like to know some of your prep processing.

1. What subject did you begin with and how are you proceeding (subjectwise)?
2. Are you using videos for all subjects?
3. Are you reading MTB along with your 1st read?
4. YOu mentioned that you will begin Uworld after your 1st read so when will you do your Kaplan Qbank? (I was planning to do Kaplan Qbank for maximum 14 days after my first read and then do Uworld).
5. How many times do you plan to do your KLN?
6. Out of the blue..but well, when do you plan for your CS ?
7. Where are you in your first read right now. I'll try to hurry and match along with your study plan!

Sorry for attacking you with sooo many questions! YOu have been helpful with my Step 1 so therefore I am targetting the right person

And btw, you just motivated me to study.I am studying SERIOUSLY from tomorrow onwards!And just like you, December will be a busy month for me too due to personal reasons

Last edited by doc Mm; 11-29-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 11-29-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 537
Threads: 80
Thanked 344 Times in 138 Posts
Reputation: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Mm View Post
Oh wow!It's quite a similar plan Sonu. I had my exam on 27th October and I haven't started studying yet, it's been more than a month and I am feeling so guilty now. I am planning to take my exam in April (beginning or mid). Anyhow, would like to know some of your prep processing.

1. What subject did you begin with and how are you proceeding (subjectwise)?
2. Are you using videos for all subjects?
3. Are you reading MTB along with your 1st read?
4. YOu mentioned that you will begin Uworld after your 1st read so when will you do your Kaplan Qbank? (I was planning to do Kaplan Qbank for maximum 14 days after my first read and then do Uworld).
5. How many times do you plan to do your KLN?
6. Out of the blue..but well, when do you plan for your CS ?
7. Where are you in your first read right now. I'll try to hurry and match along with your study plan!

Sorry for attacking you with sooo many questions! YOu have been helpful with my Step 1 so therefore I am targetting the right person

And btw, you just motivated me to study.I am studying SERIOUSLY from tomorrow onwards!And just like you, December will be a busy month for me too due to personal reasons
i too started my preparation yesterday been busy last month due to personal reasons.started with IM.
yes i am planning to do videos for all subjects.I STRONGLY BELIEVE WE RETAIN MORE WHEN WE HEAR OR SEE SOMETHING rather than reading alone.
I will do MTB after my 1st read just the way i did first aid in step 1
n i unfortunately dont have kaplan qbank offline with me.incase i get it i will start it asap
CS planning for a july slot as i know my CK is going to be delayed to may atleast
n yes i plan to revise KLN once after the 1st read n MTB r done
I am still in the 1st chapter man so i need to catch up with ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 11-29-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonu.agarwall View Post
i too started my preparation yesterday been busy last month due to personal reasons.started with IM.
yes i am planning to do videos for all subjects.I STRONGLY BELIEVE WE RETAIN MORE WHEN WE HEAR OR SEE SOMETHING rather than reading alone.
I will do MTB after my 1st read just the way i did first aid in step 1
n i unfortunately dont have kaplan qbank offline with me.incase i get it i will start it asap
CS planning for a july slot as i know my CK is going to be delayed to may atleast
n yes i plan to revise KLN once after the 1st read n MTB r done
I am still in the 1st chapter man so i need to catch up with ya.
Well, I was planning to start with Surgery though some ppl advised me to start with IM while others said keep IM the second last (last one Paeds), that way I will be able to keep IM fresh in my mind. I am planning for the CS in May as I have my wedding then in the US I dont' knw if I will be able to revise KLN again though due to lack of time..

Hey if you can convince me that IM needs to be done first, I can think of beginning with it! (And btw, check your inbox)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sonu.agarwall (11-29-2011)
  #18  
Old 11-29-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 537
Threads: 80
Thanked 344 Times in 138 Posts
Reputation: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Mm View Post
Well, I was planning to start with Surgery though some ppl advised me to start with IM while others said keep IM the second last (last one Paeds), that way I will be able to keep IM fresh in my mind. I am planning for the CS in May as I have my wedding then in the US I dont' knw if I will be able to revise KLN again though due to lack of time..

Hey if you can convince me that IM needs to be done first, I can think of beginning with it! (And btw, check your inbox)
did u realise CS is closed for a month from 15th may 2012?so i decided i hav to go for june july.but i strongly believe IM shud b done first wen we r relaxed it gives u 60 percent of questions as far as i know.so no point in rushing thru it at the end when time is short.which can be done with surgery (relatively low yield)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 11-29-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 157
Threads: 25
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonu.agarwall View Post
did u realise CS is closed for a month from 15th may 2012?so i decided i hav to go for june july.but i strongly believe IM shud b done first wen we r relaxed it gives u 60 percent of questions as far as i know.so no point in rushing thru it at the end when time is short.which can be done with surgery (relatively low yield)

Hmmm..Yes,it does make sense..I might be starting with IM then.I will read the chapters first and then listen to the lectures. I have always studied like that in med school. You convinced me! Btw, let me know how much time you are planning to give to these subjects. I was thinking 1 month IM, one week-10 days for Paeds,5 days Gynae/Obs,5 days Surgery,and 3 days Psych. I can do max 7-8hours per day. Let me know how you have planned to divide your study duration for each one.

Yes, I did read that the CS will be closing from May 20-June 16. I was suggested by many to have it done before May 20 as there will be some new changes and it might get tough (don't want to take any risks). I also have my wedding planned for May (a few days after my CS or the next day maybe). I thought I will get my CS and wedding done in May. Spend time with my hubby in June and go for USCE in July. Hope I succeed in this if God wills!

Thanks Sonu!You are a great help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Study-Plans

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you wish you HAD done for your Step 1 Prep Cautie Pie USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 23 05-02-2015 05:25 AM
Will prep for the CS in the middle of my Step 1 Prep! casky USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 05-05-2011 07:22 AM
step 2 CK prep.... medicine USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 12-17-2010 10:06 AM
Step 2CK Prep Seetal USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 11-30-2010 12:44 AM
step 2 CK prep annashah USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 07-21-2010 10:45 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)