Why Self Assesments are not predictive. A step 2 ck experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 22
Threads: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default Why Self Assesments are not predictive. A step 2 ck experience

Just got my score today and wanted to share my experience. I'm an IMG, not the brightest and not the one that likes to study.
My score was low, but I passed.
Why do I think Self Assesments are not predictive on CK?
I did 2 Nbmes
Form 4: 182 4 weeks before test
Form 7: 196 2 weeks before test
UWSA: 205 1 week before test (At this point I was freaking out)

As you can see I'm not passing according to those tests. I had completed uworld qbank with 72%.

My point is, you have to take assessments yes, but all they do is give you a "ballpark" not necessary predict your score as they do on step 1. My test was nothing similar to uworld or the nbmes I took, the questions were long. I barely had time to finish each block so focus on time when doing qbank. Questions on the real deal are longer than uworld so be prepared for that.

Should I have moved my test for a later date to get a better score? No.
I took my test on June 22nd 2015, moving it further would have meant I got into the "new questions pool" which is a hardship for any IMG, if you read the forums every time they change the pool grades do down that very month, which to me means flipping a coin to pass or not. Add that they said that people that take exam after July 10th might get their score delayed for September, that was a big No no for me.

So focus on time people and good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. KnifeHappy (07-22-2015), faith255 (07-22-2015), kshah (07-22-2015), neelima208 (07-23-2015)



  #2  
Old 07-22-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 338
Threads: 54
Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykza5 View Post
Just got my score today and wanted to share my experience. I'm an IMG, not the brightest and not the one that likes to study.
My score was low, but I passed.
Why do I think Self Assesments are not predictive on CK?
I did 2 Nbmes
Form 4: 182 4 weeks before test
Form 7: 196 2 weeks before test
UWSA: 205 1 week before test (At this point I was freaking out)

As you can see I'm not passing according to those tests. I had completed uworld qbank with 72%.

My point is, you have to take assessments yes, but all they do is give you a "ballpark" not necessary predict your score as they do on step 1. My test was nothing similar to uworld or the nbmes I took, the questions were long. I barely had time to finish each block so focus on time when doing qbank. Questions on the real deal are longer than uworld so be prepared for that.

Should I have moved my test for a later date to get a better score? No.
I took my test on June 22nd 2015, moving it further would have meant I got into the "new questions pool" which is a hardship for any IMG, if you read the forums every time they change the pool grades do down that very month, which to me means flipping a coin to pass or not. Add that they said that people that take exam after July 10th might get their score delayed for September, that was a big No no for me.

So focus on time people and good luck
I think it is bs when you say that being inside the new question pool will make it harder.
I took step 1 during the "new question pool" and the average for the students in this period was 227 (outside this new question pool it was still 227). It just means that they remove old questions and add a few new ones that are probably experimental, you are still graded against all the over people taking the step at the same time. If the exam is difficult for you, then it is probably also difficult for other people. Think about this: If it really was the case that people drop during the new questions pool, or are more likely to fail... NBME would have already been in a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-22-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 22
Threads: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao View Post
I think it is bs when you say that being inside the new question pool will make it harder.
I took step 1 during the "new question pool" and the average for the students in this period was 227 (outside this new question pool it was still 227). It just means that they remove old questions and add a few new ones that are probably experimental, you are still graded against all the over people taking the step at the same time. If the exam is difficult for you, then it is probably also difficult for other people. Think about this: If it really was the case that people drop during the new questions pool, or are more likely to fail... NBME would have already been in a lawsuit.
You might be right, what I've read are rumors, but if there is a chance that rumors are not "bs" as you put it I would not want to risk a fail as I'mm not a high grades student
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-22-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 338
Threads: 54
Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykza5 View Post
You might be right, what I've read are rumors, but if there is a chance that rumors are not "bs" as you put it I would not want to risk a fail as I'mm not a high grades student
Sorry for saying bs.

One thing we have to remember... the average is 228 for step 1 and a little higher for ck. People these days tend to say: " oh i got a 255, this is bad, cause everybody gets 260+".
This is bs in my understanding and a big bias. People with low scores don't post here, and furthermore I wouldn't believe everything I read on these usmle websites.

While preparing for Step1 I tend to read post exam experiences and people said that step 1 was so much different from everything they have taken before, UW, Kaplan, NBMEs. They also said that the questions were so much longer.

For CK: I worry right now, cause I am back reading all these experiences that the exam is incredibly difficult and nothing compares to it. And your previous post gave me a little freakout. Of course I worry, esp. that I am a week away to take it. I have scored 248 in UWSA, 261 NBME7.. and I still worry cause I read all of that. To what it comes down to, I will take the exam and it will be ok at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-22-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 22
Threads: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao View Post
Sorry for saying bs.

One thing we have to remember... the average is 228 for step 1 and a little higher for ck. People these days tend to say: " oh i got a 255, this is bad, cause everybody gets 260+".
This is bs in my understanding and a big bias. People with low scores don't post here, and furthermore I wouldn't believe everything I read on these usmle websites.

While preparing for Step1 I tend to read post exam experiences and people said that step 1 was so much different from everything they have taken before, UW, Kaplan, NBMEs. They also said that the questions were so much longer.

For CK: I worry right now, cause I am back reading all these experiences that the exam is incredibly difficult and nothing compares to it. And your previous post gave me a little freakout. Of course I worry, esp. that I am a week away to take it. I have scored 248 in UWSA, 261 NBME7.. and I still worry cause I read all of that. To what it comes down to, I will take the exam and it will be ok at the end.
What anyone writes can be interpret in different ways. When I said the actual test was nothing like the nbmes or uworld šI did not mean harder. Just the stem of the question is longer with added stuff that makes you waste time, but the exam is not nit picking on little details. My low score was due to running out of time, because when I got to the answer it was more clear than when doing uworld, but reading got the best of me.

Anyways that wasn't the focus of this post. It was more geared towards people with low self assessments that like me might make you think you are going to fail when that isn't actually the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-22-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

I think it's ill advised to sit any USMLE exam if you're failing all/most of your practice tests. They do give a range for prediction. The majority fall within that range. For every person that far exceeds the predicted score there's one who falls short by just as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My step 1 experience - 259 - October 2014- the longest experience ever :)) khaled_elfert USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 11-21-2016 02:38 PM
US$350 ONE YEAR UWORLD SUBSCRIPTION + 2 SELF-ASSESMENTS for sale DoctorMommy For Sale & Wanted Items 0 04-09-2015 05:47 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)