Aninchak16 Step 2 CK experience - 270(88) - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Smile Aninchak16 Step 2 CK experience - 270(88)

Hey Guys,

I am sure that most of you who have been in and out of forums have learnt (the hard way!) that ultimately you figure out your own way to crack these exams but I just wanted to share a few tips that you might find helpful:

First of all-here's some basic info
Year of Grad-Dec '11
Books-
Kaplan CK Notes, Studied at home did not take Kaplan Course
-For Psychiatry used KLN Step 1 behavioral science notes

Videos-
All of Conrad Fischer at 2X on VLC
- Steven Dogherty from Step 1 for Psyc (Did not like Alina Gonzalez Mayo at all!)
- Attempted to listen to Sakala for OBGYN-he is very good, but could not cover all his vids.But then obgyn on my score report is the only area that I entered the bornderline performance zone!
- Listened to Eduardo Pino for all the boring parts of Peds-Growth, Development(nightmare!) Immunization, Nutrition and Congenital Heart Dis.
- Listened to Pestana for surgery-This man is very very good!! But his vids are NOT a MUST if you do not have the time.Just read the vignettes portion of the surgery notes.Focus on Trauma and GI.

Qbank-UW Step 2.

Advice-
-Stratify the course as 'easy' and 'hard' Do your weak areas FIRST.I suffered because I completely neglected biostats, I did not take the drug ads and the abstracts seriously! I was screwed in the real exam because I got at least 2 ads and 3 abstracts. I became unnecessarily anxious, I wasnt even sure how to start!
I tried to compensate for my weakness in obgyn but i could not make it strong enough till the real exam.

-The key to success on Step 2 CK is PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.You will be familiar with most of the material (unlike step 1) dont spend much time memorizing.
just remember key points, and run your eyes over the rest of the explanation.
make post-its and add to your mtb.
then lather-rinse-repeat
till you're ready to take the real test!

my overall UW-81%
I took NBME 1, 4 weeks before the test-251
NBME 2, 3 weeks before the test-253
UWSA 1 day before the test-263
Real test-270 (88)

I really need help interpreting the meaning of 88 percentile, I have started another thread(!) but if anyone has any ideas (wouldnt this be a high 99?) it would be v.helpful!

Thanks and all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (01-24-2012), alex85 (03-22-2012), bebix (01-24-2012), doxorubicin (02-19-2012), dr-ahmed (01-24-2012), dreamergirl2214 (11-23-2012), jahn77 (01-24-2012), Khalid Jumean (05-22-2012), merci12 (10-08-2013), pass7 (01-24-2012), priyanka.N (01-24-2012), sonu.agarwall (07-06-2012), tootsie (03-21-2012), tyagee (01-25-2012), um aala (03-21-2012), usmledee (01-27-2012)



  #2  
Old 01-24-2012
rooshy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 128
Threads: 16
Thanked 138 Times in 47 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

do you think kaplan + mtb is enough to ace it ? plus kaplan videos of course ? i mean you didn't do kaplan q bank ? or Usmlerex , or any source of questions beside UW ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-24-2012
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,261 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3271
Thumbs Up

WELL DONE!

Now Im studying for the Step 3...so, do you recommend Pestana for surgery? - When I was preparing my step 2 ck, I saw his videos (the first 5 min) and thought it was worse than Pino (boring + + +)... apparently was a misjudgment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 01-24-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Show Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooshy View Post
do you think kaplan + mtb is enough to ace it ? plus kaplan videos of course ? i mean you didn't do kaplan q bank ? or Usmlerex , or any source of questions beside UW ?
I ONLY did UW. Its more than enough. remember its all about repeating the same thing again and again and again!
the real exam is much harder than uw qbank-i thought-the questions are very lengthy! you really have to be very sure of subtle differences to pick up the key point to reach your answer.and most of the times you are caught between 2 choices-and you dont have much time to think.so practice is key.

i would never recommend doing more than one qbank.

NMBE forms were good but the question stems were much much shorter than the real exam.i did timed 4 blocks and i had time to come back to my marked questions and run over all the questions i had already answered.

real exam i barely had 1-2minutes and block was over! it was because it was hard to keep concentrating and reading the loooooon questions fast.

if i had more practice i wouldnt have had this problem!

make a bible out of mtb and UW-use kaplan notes and vids are reference to get a baseline idea and improve weak areas

then practice till your eyes bleed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
merci12 (10-08-2013), Neutrino (04-16-2015), rooshy (01-25-2012), tyagee (03-23-2012), usmledee (01-27-2012)
  #5  
Old 01-24-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebix View Post
WELL DONE!

Now Im studying for the Step 3...so, do you recommend Pestana for surgery? - When I was preparing my step 2 ck, I saw his videos (the first 5 min) and thought it was worse than Pino (boring + + +)... apparently was a misjudgment
haha yeah pestana used to make me sleepy too-but i really like his outcome based approach!
i havent started work on step 3 yet.but i am planning to listen to his vids properly for step 3 for sure!

hey-have you applied for step 3?? had some questions about the application process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-24-2012
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,261 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninchak16 View Post
haha yeah pestana used to make me sleepy too-but i really like his outcome based approach!
i havent started work on step 3 yet.but i am planning to listen to his vids properly for step 3 for sure!

hey-have you applied for step 3?? had some questions about the application process!
send me a PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 30
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 24
Smile

Congratulations!!!That's an awesome score
I'm starting prep for ck and got a few questions.
1)How many times do we need to review kap LN?
2)were kap videos helpful?
3)Did you review both MTB 2 and MTB 3 ?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 75
Default

That's a good score....I am waiting for my score and all I can do is to read such amazing success stories. again congrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aninchak16 (01-27-2012)
  #9  
Old 01-25-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 5
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default HI congrats on the gr8 score

could you pls upload links for downloading the step 2 ck videos....
thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-25-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

congratulation ....
really great score but my question which mtb is a must 2 or 3 for ck ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 01-27-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka.N View Post
Congratulations!!!That's an awesome score
I'm starting prep for ck and got a few questions.
1)How many times do we need to review kap LN?
2)were kap videos helpful?
3)Did you review both MTB 2 and MTB 3 ?
Thanks!
Hi priyanka, thanks!

no.of times depends entirely on your baseline knowledge, year of grad etc etc!i would fly through it once to make that decision yourself..personally i went thru the notes only once that too not all the notes,i got very restless only reading as it was boring and time consuming, i started uw before my first reading.but lots of other people may not like my method...

i used vids because i find going through notes alone v.boring! i would highly recommend conrad fisher(IM) to anyone as he makes the material come alive and he helps you remember stuff...i would also recommend steven dogherty's step 1 beh sc for psyc..i just listened to him then went straight to mtb for psyc.pestana, pino, i dont think are must-dos.

i used only mtb 2.i read the portions i was v.weak in (like psyc and nefro) and portions i was v.strong in i skipped completely-i only used uw for those.i didnt plan this, it just happened as i didnt have sufficient time to cover my weak areas from mtb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
priyanka.N (01-28-2012)
  #12  
Old 01-27-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.lulu View Post
congratulation ....
really great score but my question which mtb is a must 2 or 3 for ck ?
hey thanks!
i have no experience with mtb 3..only used 2 and it worked for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-27-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Embarrassed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrick View Post
could you pls upload links for downloading the step 2 ck videos....
thanx
hey, i wish i could help but i got them from my friend from his hard drive..so sorry! i used the really old vids (i think '02 where they are lecturing to a live audience)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 01-27-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

congrats aninchak16 for such an awesome score...
1)does step1 help do well in step2ck?am doing step2ck first so little worried ..does it make any difference?
2)u said practice is the main key to aviod lack of time in the exam...by this u mean one shud do as many questions ie question banks as possible
3)how much time is usually required for this exam?
sorry for so many questions ...
thankyou so much for ur detailed post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 01-27-2012
aninchak16's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 35
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prep4goodscore View Post
congrats aninchak16 for such an awesome score...
1)does step1 help do well in step2ck?am doing step2ck first so little worried ..does it make any difference?
2)u said practice is the main key to aviod lack of time in the exam...by this u mean one shud do as many questions ie question banks as possible
3)how much time is usually required for this exam?
sorry for so many questions ...
thankyou so much for ur detailed post
hey thanks!
1)step 1 helps a lot, i took my step 1 before this and other than just my baseline knowledge improving i was used to the process of prepping for any step.but if you choose to take step 2 ck first that's your call.the most common questions asked on step 2 ck are ;what is the most likely diagnosis' and 'what is the next best step in management?' versus step 1 which is 'what is the mechanism' but the question often has a clinical twist, so you end up covering both medicine and basic science when you prep for step 1.

but you can bypass step 1 knowledge,its not a must for ck.

2)i recomm doing 1 qbank.only 1.many times.uw itself has 2200 questions!

3)time depends entirely on your pace/baseline knowledge etc but generally if you have not taken step 1 then you may require upto 5-6mo.if you have taken step 1-then 3mo is enough.but keep in mind this is when you're only studying.not doing a job etc!

good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ehtisham (06-11-2012), hanafnaf (03-21-2012), prep4goodscore (01-29-2012)



  #16  
Old 03-21-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default aninchak16

how much time does step1 need? and what is your advice and resources? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-23-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninchak16 View Post
Hey Guys,

I am sure that most of you who have been in and out of forums have learnt (the hard way!) that ultimately you figure out your own way to crack these exams but I just wanted to share a few tips that you might find helpful:

First of all-here's some basic info
Year of Grad-Dec '11
Books-
Kaplan CK Notes, Studied at home did not take Kaplan Course
-For Psychiatry used KLN Step 1 behavioral science notes

Videos-
All of Conrad Fischer at 2X on VLC
- Steven Dogherty from Step 1 for Psyc (Did not like Alina Gonzalez Mayo at all!)
- Attempted to listen to Sakala for OBGYN-he is very good, but could not cover all his vids.But then obgyn on my score report is the only area that I entered the bornderline performance zone!
- Listened to Eduardo Pino for all the boring parts of Peds-Growth, Development(nightmare!) Immunization, Nutrition and Congenital Heart Dis.
- Listened to Pestana for surgery-This man is very very good!! But his vids are NOT a MUST if you do not have the time.Just read the vignettes portion of the surgery notes.Focus on Trauma and GI.

Qbank-UW Step 2.

Advice-
-Stratify the course as 'easy' and 'hard' Do your weak areas FIRST.I suffered because I completely neglected biostats, I did not take the drug ads and the abstracts seriously! I was screwed in the real exam because I got at least 2 ads and 3 abstracts. I became unnecessarily anxious, I wasnt even sure how to start!
I tried to compensate for my weakness in obgyn but i could not make it strong enough till the real exam.

-The key to success on Step 2 CK is PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.You will be familiar with most of the material (unlike step 1) dont spend much time memorizing.
just remember key points, and run your eyes over the rest of the explanation.
make post-its and add to your mtb.
then lather-rinse-repeat
till you're ready to take the real test!

my overall UW-81%
I took NBME 1, 4 weeks before the test-251
NBME 2, 3 weeks before the test-253
UWSA 1 day before the test-263
Real test-270 (88)

I really need help interpreting the meaning of 88 percentile, I have started another thread(!) but if anyone has any ideas (wouldnt this be a high 99?) it would be v.helpful!

Thanks and all the best

hey awesome score!! really super achievement.
i am taking my exam on april 4th
i took nbme 2 today i got a score of 270..is it a good predictor?
wat do u suggest me to do in last 10 days.
i am currently revising kap qbank and uworld and my notes wit mtb.
watelse sud i do?
and also how were the drug ad and research questions in the main exam?i m able to handle them in uw but not very comfortable..how many such qstns were there in main exam?
did u read any extra material for those kind of question?


kindly reply
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-02-2012
yasirsattar75's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 395
Threads: 51
Thanked 292 Times in 111 Posts
Reputation: 302
Default congratzz amazing score

hi congratz dude .. m in final year medschool i need to know that ur previous knowledge from bigbooks harrison etc helped u in ck also? the books u studied in last year medschool might help you .. i will take CK in july i m just preparing kaplan notes, videos, MTB,first aid and q banks so big books like harrison, shwartz are must to do good? or i can get 260 plus with the books i mentioned coz i wanna take CK this year after that i will b much busy ..
__________________
study study till ur brain is saturated
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Exam-Results, Step-2-CK-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Step 1 Experience lemontea88 USMLE Step 1 Forum 21 11-26-2016 03:21 AM
My Step 1 experience 258/89 mayursn39 USMLE Step 1 Forum 29 11-26-2014 12:15 PM
Step 1 experience 254 (88) umajeed90 USMLE Step 1 Forum 23 01-19-2012 11:33 PM
My experience Step 1 and 2CK drwagner USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 10-21-2011 06:04 PM
My 230/99 Step 1 Experience Al-Saoudi USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 07-21-2011 12:33 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)