Need some advice! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 16
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Unhappy Need some advice!

Hello there fellow Step 2 test takers. Im taking the CK for the 4th time on February 15th, 2016. I have failed 3 times so far, the last 2 times by 1 point. Last time I took it was 1 year ago. I was planning on just giving up. Started working in a private clinic as a medical assistant and have made very good connections and was told to pass the tests and they would help me get into residency (I want Preventive Medicine).
Right now I have been studying for about 2 months. Finished Uworld for the second time with 67% first time around and 75-90% second times around. Took UWSA last week and scored 225. I still have Uworld subscription active until the end of January. I have MTB 2 (last edition) and FA CK (8th edition).
What should I do during the last month and a half that I have? I don't need high marks, just a pass.
Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 16
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Unhappy Anyone?

Anyone? Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 2
Thanked 55 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Congrats on getting a job as a medical assistant.

Keep at it. You can do it. It is possible you may have a difficult time getting interviews so google on match statistics so you know what to expect.

Since you asked for an advice and your goal is to pass. It won't hurt to study and take all the NBMEs 5 days apart and try to get 250s. That way you are most likely going to pass if you get 250s.
__________________
214 / 242 / CSx1 / YOG 2006 / Home country IM + 14 mos Cards / 1 asian abstract & 1 poster/ MATCHED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-29-2015)
 
  #4  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 16
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekyahoo View Post
Congrats on getting a job as a medical assistant.

Keep at it. You can do it. It is possible you may have a difficult time getting interviews so google on match statistics so you know what to expect.

Since you asked for an advice and your goal is to pass. It won't hurt to study and take all the NBMEs 5 days apart and try to get 250s. That way you are most likely going to pass if you get 250s.
Thanks for the reply. I have been working as an MA for the past year. As i mentioned before, I have a very strong connection with a Program Director and was encouraged to just pass and I would get in. Reason why I just want to pass as fast as I can. Any tips on how to go about the actual studying in this 5 weeks? Should I just do Uworld again, 2 blocks per day and forget about reading MTB, or should i integrate both, doing 1 block and reading as well?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default regarding step 2 ck

Have you checked out onlinemeded, they sell a book of what you need to memorize in their store, check out the sample pdf. I haven't taken step 2 so can't comment on usefulness of book, but you have taken step 2 before so maybe the book sample will help make up your mind either way.

phloston on sdn always recommends qbanks and for step 2/3 also recommends reading key points and summaries on uptodate.
hope this helps
all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-29-2015)
  #6  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 56
Threads: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last-Try View Post
Hello there fellow Step 2 test takers. Im taking the CK for the 4th time on February 15th, 2016. I have failed 3 times so far, the last 2 times by 1 point. Last time I took it was 1 year ago. I was planning on just giving up. Started working in a private clinic as a medical assistant and have made very good connections and was told to pass the tests and they would help me get into residency (I want Preventive Medicine).
Right now I have been studying for about 2 months. Finished Uworld for the second time with 67% first time around and 75-90% second times around. Took UWSA last week and scored 225. I still have Uworld subscription active until the end of January. I have MTB 2 (last edition) and FA CK (8th edition).
What should I do during the last month and a half that I have? I don't need high marks, just a pass.
Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Good luck on your next attempt and hope you pass and get that residency!

You might get better answers if you share more background. I will put some questions and others will help.

How did you exactly prepare during the 1st 3 attempts and what materials did you use for those attempts? Did you do the exams while still in school? Or after graduation?

What did you get on Step 1?

Now on Step 2ck in the 3 attempts previous, what was your exam experience like on each of those days? And what were the scores you got from each failed attempt?

Did you finish uworld before attempt #1, #2, #3?? How did you use uworld? Random, subject, tutor, timed?

On the exam days you took on the 3 attempts, how did you do your breaks and how was your energy on each day?

There must be some common thing that was missed in the past attempts and maybe you didn't pick up on it but others might see things to say which might be helpful.

5 weeks is a lot of time. Make a schedule to finish all of uworld in 3-4 weeks and leave the last 1.5 weeks to review any incorrect or marked questions. Also, no new learning in last week and make sure to take 1-2 days off before the real exam to get sleep and rest because that is very important. Most people can do 2-3 blocks a day but that takes at least 3-4 hours to finish one block and review all the answer and explanations.

I would also say to do uworld random. Only do timing for last 25-30% of questions. You can maybe take the uwsa before you start just to see the weak points. I can't suggest other new resources to learn in a short period and you should stick to what you have seen. I can't comment on MTB or First Aid. Hope that some of it helps and stay off from the usmle forums and other places in the last 3-4 weeks of exam because that will stress you out more.

Good luck and happy new year! By the way, for the MA job, did you get a certification somewhere for this? Hope it works out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-29-2015)
  #7  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 16
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Thanx for the replay! I'll try to answer all your questions to the best of my knowledge.


How did you exactly prepare during the 1st 3 attempts and what materials did you use for those attempts? Did you do the exams while still in school? Or after graduation? I used MTB 2 & 3, plus the kaplan videos that go with it. Did Uworld as well. It was after graduation. After the second attempt I tried using FA Step 2 CK instead, but did not like it that much and switched back to MTB 2.

What did you get on Step 1?
220 (Back in 2013)

Now on Step 2ck in the 3 attempts previous, what was your exam experience like on each of those days? And what were the scores you got from each failed attempt? The first 2 attempts I was extremely anxious. First couple of blocks i marked like 15 questions per block. And both times came out feeling like crap. During the last attempts I felt a lot more confident, but was still a bit anxious ( having failed twice before and all). First attempt: 198; 2nd attempt: 202; and 3rd attempt: 202 as well.

Did you finish uworld before attempt #1, #2, #3?? How did you use uworld? Random, subject, tutor, timed?
I have done Uworld during all attempts. Always random, unused, timed. First 2 times i was around the 60%. Last attempt I was around the 68-70%.

On the exam days you took on the 3 attempts, how did you do your breaks and how was your energy on each day?
I usually do 2 blocks at first, then take a 5 min break between each...and take a 25 min break for lunch time. Energy is usually not a problem for me... nor is it time. I am always able to finish each block on time.

If someone catches something im missing please let me know. This time around I must say, I am doing uworld tutor mode, untimed. Scoring between 80-90%. Did UWSA last week and scored 225. Have done all NBME's in the past, so not sure the accuracy they would have if I do them again.

Thanks again for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drjds (09-16-2016), timexa (12-29-2015)
  #8  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 56
Threads: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last-Try View Post
Thanx for the replay! I'll try to answer all your questions to the best of my knowledge.


How did you exactly prepare during the 1st 3 attempts and what materials did you use for those attempts? Did you do the exams while still in school? Or after graduation? I used MTB 2 & 3, plus the kaplan videos that go with it. Did Uworld as well. It was after graduation. After the second attempt I tried using FA Step 2 CK instead, but did not like it that much and switched back to MTB 2.

What did you get on Step 1?
220 (Back in 2013)

Now on Step 2ck in the 3 attempts previous, what was your exam experience like on each of those days? And what were the scores you got from each failed attempt? The first 2 attempts I was extremely anxious. First couple of blocks i marked like 15 questions per block. And both times came out feeling like crap. During the last attempts I felt a lot more confident, but was still a bit anxious ( having failed twice before and all). First attempt: 198; 2nd attempt: 202; and 3rd attempt: 202 as well.

Did you finish uworld before attempt #1, #2, #3?? How did you use uworld? Random, subject, tutor, timed?
I have done Uworld during all attempts. Always random, unused, timed. First 2 times i was around the 60%. Last attempt I was around the 68-70%.

On the exam days you took on the 3 attempts, how did you do your breaks and how was your energy on each day?
I usually do 2 blocks at first, then take a 5 min break between each...and take a 25 min break for lunch time. Energy is usually not a problem for me... nor is it time. I am always able to finish each block on time.

If someone catches something im missing please let me know. This time around I must say, I am doing uworld tutor mode, untimed. Scoring between 80-90%. Did UWSA last week and scored 225. Have done all NBME's in the past, so not sure the accuracy they would have if I do them again.

Thanks again for any input.
Thanks for sharing. I hope others will give suggestion but like you say, the accuracy and % scores may be inflated because of your previous use of them.

Did you notice on your score report in attempt #1, #2, #3 if you were scoring low or high in whatever section? That might be something to look at.


Tutor mode is good so you can slow down and concentrate better without time clock running. If your time is good, then that is something to worry about until maybe the last 400-500 questions just for practice or one of the nbme tests. You can maybe do 1 of them in the middle of study to see. I can't suggest which form because everybody has different opinion.

Are you taking notes with uworld in the past or now? When you see the wrong answer on uworld, did you try to think why you picked that after reading explanation? Was it lack of knowledge? Or not reading the main question properly? That can narrow things to think about. Then maybe refer to the review book on low scoring sections or topics. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-30-2015)
  #9  
Old 12-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 45
Threads: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Your score report feedback from the past 3 attempts should lead you into the right direction, these are the most accurate self assessment anyone one could get to help guide their studies.

My advice would be to do UWORLD under tutor mode and dissect every question to it's core , read the question and explain to yourself why this sign or symptom was included in this question, work on highlighting what is important and what is just a distractor in the body of the question and take notes on every fact or concept that's new to you. Good luck, just the fact that you are not give up on this goal should say alot about your character to the program directors that look at your application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-30-2015)
  #10  
Old 12-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 16
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Thank you both! I will continue doing Uworld tutor mode then. My weakest subjects have always been CV, Endocrinology and Hematology (in every self assessment, and on all 3 attempts). Im trying to dedicate 2 hours at night only to those subjects from MTB, but its hard to get from work and study the subjects I hate the most :P .

Thanks again! And Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 12-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default regarding cv, endo, heme

check out crush step 1 usmle ultimate step 1 review chapters for these three
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-30-2015)
  #12  
Old 12-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 16
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant View Post
check out crush step 1 usmle ultimate step 1 review chapters for these three
For Step 2 CK? And should i really be adding new resources at this point? :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 12-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default step 2 ck

I have not given the step 2 ck as yet, I am just suggesting that you skim quickly through and only if you feel the need,
to rephrase -read something in more detail only if you feel it will help you, as these three subjects are well written in the crush step 1 book, I do realize that you have few weeks left, so the highest yield is of course uworld qbank.
check it out on scribd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Last-Try (12-30-2015)



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*uworld advice and step 1 advice* coolguy2 USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 10-09-2016 11:15 PM
Need advice DonnaD USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 09-01-2015 09:04 AM
need advice anan al-tell USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 08-26-2011 03:01 AM
Please Advice ! tahami_81 USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 08-24-2011 06:37 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)