STEP 2 CK Experience. The Miracle That Happened! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 62
Unhappy STEP 2 CK Experience. The Miracle That Happened!

Hello all,

Two days ago on Wednesday I found out I passed USMLE STEP 2 CK! A little about myself. I am an American born and raised IMG, and anyone who knows me knows that Med school doesn't come easy and I work hard.

This is why I consider my CK experience a "Miracle" one; I took about a YEAR to study for STEP 1, my NBME's rose, but rose slowly as I went along. I was expecting to spend a great deal of time studying for CK as well (even more than a year if I had to), which I am sure many of us can relate, takes a toll on us.

One month before a scheduled CK test day (I was planning on postponing exam if needed, because I am extremely cautious, and against risk taking), I took NBME #7 which rumor has it, is the hardest / lowest estimating NBME. To my unexpected and pleasant suprise I got a 210 on it! I thought, "hey maybe I can knock this thing out soon, graduate, and be more free". SO I studied hard and in a about 10 days took NBME #4 and got a 250! I was happy! A part of me was almost a little nervous that I was going to actually face the 9 hour beast instead of postponing and getting into that monotomous study grind. But I just got a "250" on an NBME I had to "Strike while the hammer was hot" and put med school behind me!

So I took the exam on Friday March 25th 2016 (Good Friday for all my Christian friends lol). And it was a stamina test more than anything, I took breaks between each block, ate a bite of chocolate coconut bar / banana / drank h20 etc.... One block my mind started freezing up so during the next break I went to the water fountain and splashed my face and took a half an aspirin.

I have been taking difficult exams since pre med so I got into that, back against the wall fight mode!

So the exam was done. Now it was time to wait for the results. I waited and waited and one day about 4 days before the 3rd Wednesday I wanted to look at the "250" I had previously got on my NBME #4 and realized that, that "250" was the CSSA score WHAT?!?! That "250" was actually a 185! I had thought I made the stupidest, clumsiest mistakes of my entire career. Part of me was justifying by telling myself that I had worked basically non stop for 3 months, and that postponing my exam would entail me taking my med school Comp shelf (which is a pain and costs $150) and re register for CK (another pain and $850), and I worked / studied hard during my NYC clerkships, so I tried telling myself that it was worth a gamble. I even managed to go back to UWORLD and do a lot of questions, because I had quickly gone thru all the stages of grief ha and accepted my failure.

However, Last Wednesday I found out that I passed! I don't regret taking it too soon, because I am done! If I postponed it who knows what type of life event I could be faced with, and I am DONE with my Medical School! I ended up with (please don't judge me haha) a 211 (26 points higher than my 10 day out NBME). This experience was like an experiment of having someone over confident (I thought a 250 was instore for me!) taking an exam. If I read my NBME score report correctly I would have undoubtly postponed the exam. My passion is Family Medicine which I hope Residency's will appreciate the fact that I never failed any STEP (1,CS,CK), had a good GPA, no visa issues etc.... And from what I hear Family Medicine is one of the least competitive fields (I know everything is competitive, but who knows).

Thanks for being there people, we can all relate to the struggle. Let me know if there are any questions. I never wrote a CS Experience, if someone wants that I gotch you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
canica (04-15-2016), dsrp (04-15-2016), invincible (04-16-2016), Kruno (04-15-2016), kshah (04-16-2016), maymed (04-15-2016), usdoctor (04-16-2016)



  #2  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 62
Default Study Plan

Besides what I did for the clerkships (Dr. Pestana's notes for Surg, FA for Psych, ......) for CK I mainly used UWORLD. I read through MTBII. I took notes on every single Educational objective on the entire QBank, went over the incorrect questions, and was about 11% done the 2nd time.

So I went thru UWORLD ~ 1.1 x's lol. That 2nd time (including the UWORLD questions I was doing after the exam, before results which equaled 23% of the total question bank I had a 72% average.

If I had failed I would have gone thru the rest of the bank and did the incorrect questions until they all were answered correctly. I would have read STEP 2 SECRETS 2x's (heard great things about that small book) I would have went over UWORLD at a face pace (trimming down the amount of explaination reading) a 3rd time and then read STEP 2 SECRETS a 3rd time.

I felt like UWORLD was starting to "click" more going over it a 2nd time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
canica (04-15-2016), kshah (04-16-2016)
  #3  
Old 04-15-2016
maymed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 85
Threads: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 63
Thumbs Up congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenzo View Post
Hello all,

Two days ago on Wednesday I found out I passed USMLE STEP 2 CK! A little about myself. I am an American born and raised IMG, and anyone who knows me knows that Med school doesn't come easy and I work hard.

This is why I consider my CK experience a "Miracle" one; I took about a YEAR to study for STEP 1, my NBME's rose, but rose slowly as I went along. I was expecting to spend a great deal of time studying for CK as well (even more than a year if I had to), which I am sure many of us can relate, takes a toll on us.

One month before a scheduled CK test day (I was planning on postponing exam if needed, because I am extremely cautious, and against risk taking), I took NBME #7 which rumor has it, is the hardest / lowest estimating NBME. To my unexpected and pleasant suprise I got a 210 on it! I thought, "hey maybe I can knock this thing out soon, graduate, and be more free". SO I studied hard and in a about 10 days took NBME #4 and got a 250! I was happy! A part of me was almost a little nervous that I was going to actually face the 9 hour beast instead of postponing and getting into that monotomous study grind. But I just got a "250" on an NBME I had to "Strike while the hammer was hot" and put med school behind me!

So I took the exam on Friday March 25th 2016 (Good Friday for all my Christian friends lol). And it was a stamina test more than anything, I took breaks between each block, ate a bite of chocolate coconut bar / banana / drank h20 etc.... One block my mind started freezing up so during the next break I went to the water fountain and splashed my face and took a half an aspirin.

I have been taking difficult exams since pre med so I got into that, back against the wall fight mode!

So the exam was done. Now it was time to wait for the results. I waited and waited and one day about 4 days before the 3rd Wednesday I wanted to look at the "250" I had previously got on my NBME #4 and realized that, that "250" was the CSSA score WHAT?!?! That "250" was actually a 185! I had thought I made the stupidest, clumsiest mistakes of my entire career. Part of me was justifying by telling myself that I had worked basically non stop for 3 months, and that postponing my exam would entail me taking my med school Comp shelf (which is a pain and costs $150) and re register for CK (another pain and $850), and I worked / studied hard during my NYC clerkships, so I tried telling myself that it was worth a gamble. I even managed to go back to UWORLD and do a lot of questions, because I had quickly gone thru all the stages of grief ha and accepted my failure.

However, Last Wednesday I found out that I passed! I don't regret taking it too soon, because I am done! If I postponed it who knows what type of life event I could be faced with, and I am DONE with my Medical School! I ended up with (please don't judge me haha) a 211 (26 points higher than my 10 day out NBME). This experience was like an experiment of having someone over confident (I thought a 250 was instore for me!) taking an exam. If I read my NBME score report correctly I would have undoubtly postponed the exam. My passion is Family Medicine which I hope Residency's will appreciate the fact that I never failed any STEP (1,CS,CK), had a good GPA, no visa issues etc.... And from what I hear Family Medicine is one of the least competitive fields (I know everything is competitive, but who knows).

Thanks for being there people, we can all relate to the struggle. Let me know if there are any questions. I never wrote a CS Experience, if someone wants that I gotch you!
Thanks for sharing your story! I am genuinely so happy for you It was meant to be for you to misinterpret your NBME score! haha, seems like something I would do! I am looking into family medicine, too! wish you the best with matching...
__________________
You are capable of more than you know. Choose a goal that seems right for you and strive to be the best, however hard the path. Persist! the world needs all you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
canica (04-15-2016), Fenzo (04-15-2016)
  #4  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Thanks a lot Fenzo!

I can't believe your realization of the 250 score equivalent after the fact

Is secrets a good book that's up to date? How long does it take to read? What did you think of MTB II?

For your clerkships you said Pestana for Surgery and FA psychiatry. What else did you use during each of your clerkships?

You have a great attitude and I think that will help you on the interviews! Good luck with your dream residency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canica View Post
Thanks a lot Fenzo!

I can't believe your realization of the 250 score equivalent after the fact

Is secrets a good book that's up to date? How long does it take to read? What did you think of MTB II?

For your clerkships you said Pestana for Surgery and FA psychiatry. What else did you use during each of your clerkships?

You have a great attitude and I think that will help you on the interviews! Good luck with your dream residency
I know SMH.

Yes Secrets is up to date, my high performing good friend who I trust recommended it. And I heard from other classmates good things about it. I would estimate it would take me (a slow studier) about less than 10 days to CAREFULLY read it, which is not very long (for the 1st time around, quicker the 2nd and 3rd).

MTBII (I read both the older edition 1x and the newer (3rd edition) 1 x). I read MTBII (3rd edition) in about 10 days, I read it before getting into UWORLD. I saw it as a BROAD introduction to the qbank. I feel like it is worth a read, it was easy to read, and there are imoprtant concepts in there that were good to look up once in a very long time! I know Secrets is much more high yield!

You are putting me on the spot for the clerkship material but let's see what I can remember!

Family Medicine - Blue Prints

Internal Medicine - Sections of MTBII (2nd edition), UWORLD, Prayer! lol

Psych - FA Clerkship book (awesome for this rotation)

OB/GYN - FA Clerkship book (More readable than the gold standard (Blue
Prints) it is a FA book,after STEP 1 I think we can give FA some credit!

Peds: Pre Test booklet , UWORLD

Surgery - Dr. Pestana's notes

I averaged aoubt a 67% on the board exams. If we didn't have the board exams I most likely wouldn't have used those other resources. I would have went hard on UWORLD, MTBII, Secrets, Worst Case scenerio maybe I would have tried DIT with whatever book that went along with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
canica (04-15-2016)
  #6  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenzo View Post
I know SMH.

Yes Secrets is up to date, my high performing good friend who I trust recommended it. And I heard from other classmates good things about it. I would estimate it would take me (a slow studier) about less than 10 days to CAREFULLY read it, which is not very long (for the 1st time around, quicker the 2nd and 3rd).

MTBII (I read both the older edition 1x and the newer (3rd edition) 1 x). I read MTBII (3rd edition) in about 10 days, I read it before getting into UWORLD. I saw it as a BROAD introduction to the qbank. I feel like it is worth a read, it was easy to read, and there are imoprtant concepts in there that were good to look up once in a very long time! I know Secrets is much more high yield!

You are putting me on the spot for the clerkship material but let's see what I can remember!

Family Medicine - Blue Prints

Internal Medicine - Sections of MTBII (2nd edition), UWORLD, Prayer! lol

Psych - FA Clerkship book (awesome for this rotation)

OB/GYN - FA Clerkship book (More readable than the gold standard (Blue
Prints) it is a FA book,after STEP 1 I think we can give FA some credit!

Peds: Pre Test booklet , UWORLD

Surgery - Dr. Pestana's notes

I averaged aoubt a 67% on the board exams. If we didn't have the board exams I most likely wouldn't have used those other resources. I would have went hard on UWORLD, MTBII, Secrets, Worst Case scenerio maybe I would have tried DIT with whatever book that went along with.
* Addition: I just remembered I used MTBII (2nd edition during rotations) also during Peds, OB/GYN, Psych, I would always try to read the rotation's section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
canica (04-15-2016)
  #7  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 83
Threads: 2
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

Quite happy for you buddy. But sweet jesus I hope nobody misinterprets their score in the future haha. Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
canica (04-15-2016), Fenzo (04-15-2016)
  #8  
Old 04-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Thanks for share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Fenzo (04-18-2016)
  #9  
Old 06-04-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 21
Threads: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

thankkk you v much for sharing your experience. it really helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Fenzo (06-07-2016)
  #10  
Old 06-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default MTB 2nd vs 3rd edition

Hey Fenzo,

I am about to start studying for step 2 ck, and I noticed you mention that you read both MTB 2nd and 3rd editions,

My question is: do you think I should read them both? is there a considerable difference between them?

Congrats again on your score like most of the posts say, it was meant to be. what a blessing!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenzo View Post
I know SMH.

Yes Secrets is up to date, my high performing good friend who I trust recommended it. And I heard from other classmates good things about it. I would estimate it would take me (a slow studier) about less than 10 days to CAREFULLY read it, which is not very long (for the 1st time around, quicker the 2nd and 3rd).

MTBII (I read both the older edition 1x and the newer (3rd edition) 1 x). I read MTBII (3rd edition) in about 10 days, I read it before getting into UWORLD. I saw it as a BROAD introduction to the qbank. I feel like it is worth a read, it was easy to read, and there are imoprtant concepts in there that were good to look up once in a very long time! I know Secrets is much more high yield!

You are putting me on the spot for the clerkship material but let's see what I can remember!

Family Medicine - Blue Prints

Internal Medicine - Sections of MTBII (2nd edition), UWORLD, Prayer! lol

Psych - FA Clerkship book (awesome for this rotation)

OB/GYN - FA Clerkship book (More readable than the gold standard (Blue
Prints) it is a FA book,after STEP 1 I think we can give FA some credit!

Peds: Pre Test booklet , UWORLD

Surgery - Dr. Pestana's notes

I averaged aoubt a 67% on the board exams. If we didn't have the board exams I most likely wouldn't have used those other resources. I would have went hard on UWORLD, MTBII, Secrets, Worst Case scenerio maybe I would have tried DIT with whatever book that went along with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 62
Default

I would suggest reading the newest MTB II edition (3rd). There is not a HUGE difference. There is over 60 more pages in the newer edition (I believe). The major complaint about MTB is that it is not too indepth, so those extra pages make the book a little better.

I used the 2nd edition when I was doing 3rd year and the newer edition came out at the end of my rotations and I got it.

Again not a big difference btw the editions but I would lean towards the newer edition. Either way MTB II is not the greatest book but I do believe it is good to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to this forum? ballers USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 02-17-2016 12:16 PM
strange thing happened at the test center tell4ever USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 0 04-01-2015 06:06 PM
What happened with USMLE RX? Changed interface? OlgaW007 USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 2 02-12-2014 03:41 AM
What's happened to 15,000 New Residency Positions by 2017 swwal IMG Residency Match Forum 3 08-04-2013 06:28 PM
Cancelled, but couldn't reschedule...what happened...freaking out!! JJacobs152 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 06-24-2013 09:24 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)