Just took the CK exam - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2012
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Info Just took the CK exam

Finally I am done with the exam.
ABOUT THE EXAM
The exam had blocks of variable lenghts.
Three blocks of 45 q,3 blocks of 44q, 1 block of 43 and the last block was of 40 questions.
The number of questions usually depended on the average length of question in the block but I had a drug ad in the 45 question block.
I had two drug ads and two abstracts.Drug ads were easy. Abstracts were a bit vague.
NOW MOVING ON TO TYPE OF QUESTIONS
20-30% of questions were easy
50-60% of questions were difficult
10-20% of questions I had no idea about what was asked.
Had a lot of questions from dermatology which is my weakest . All with pictures. Many of them I had never seen before.
Rest all were easy.
The only problem I think was that the questions and options required a lot of thinking which really drained a lot of time. Very few questions had the typical presentations which made it difficult to diagnose something Uworld is full of. According to my personal experience it was a bit difficult than Uworld and NBME 4.
Towards the end your mind starts shutting off making it difficult to concentrate. I used the calculator to calculate 10+8
MANAGEMENT OF BREAKS
Took a break after the first block. Then did 2nd and 3rd back to back. After this I took a break after each block. Had lunch after the 4th block. In the end I had 15 minutes of break time remaining.
OVERALL IMPRESSION
I was not satisfied with exam. I think step 1 was very easy compared to this. Now next is the big wait of 6 weeks for the results. Will post my preparation after I get the results.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
23steps (08-19-2012), aj23 (08-19-2012), anomali (08-19-2012), cingulate.gyrus (08-19-2012), donofitaly (08-19-2012), drnaglaa_elgwady (09-30-2012), K06100 (08-18-2012), Novobiocin (08-19-2012), seiferites (08-25-2012), shyangel18 (08-18-2012), sonu.agarwall (08-19-2012), step_enhancer (08-18-2012), tootsie (08-20-2012), tyagee (08-19-2012), zohaib (08-19-2012)



  #2  
Old 08-18-2012
K06100's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 730
Threads: 90
Thanked 458 Times in 289 Posts
Reputation: 468
Default

dont worry ...everything will be fine......good luck for the result...

About the questions u had on ur exam, were they from the books we read for step 2 or they were out of it......?????
__________________
Try Not To Become A Man Of Success But A Man Of Value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cingulate.gyrus (08-19-2012), mayursn39 (08-19-2012)
  #3  
Old 08-18-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 460
Threads: 278
Thanked 166 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 176
Default

wish u all the best!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (08-19-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 08-19-2012
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K06100 View Post
dont worry ...everything will be fine......good luck for the result...

About the questions u had on ur exam, were they from the books we read for step 2 or they were out of it......?????
The content was from the books in a more twisted way. Except for dermatology and few other questions all of them could be solved if there was a Little bit of extra time. As I said reading the questions and options drained alot of time.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cingulate.gyrus (08-19-2012), K06100 (08-19-2012)
  #5  
Old 08-19-2012
tyagee's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,365
Threads: 648
Thanked 591 Times in 355 Posts
Reputation: 601
Default

abstract appears to be big challenge to me. please help. any suggestions. i even planned to pick c option and move ahead. ur thoughts?
**44 block q with drug|abstract...damn! that seems unfair. never heard before. how u managed that block? how do we come to know which block has these type of q? is it mentioned at beginning of block ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cingulate.gyrus (08-19-2012)
  #6  
Old 08-19-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,049 Posts
Reputation: 2126
Default

Thanks for posting.
This exam seems to be so variable based on recent test taker's experiences. While most people had experiences like yours, Lena had an entirely different experience.
Looks like this exam is "like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-19-2012
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyagee View Post
abstract appears to be big challenge to me. please help. any suggestions. i even planned to pick c option and move ahead. ur thoughts?
**44 block q with drug|abstract...damn! that seems unfair. never heard before. how u managed that block? how do we come to know which block has these type of q? is it mentioned at beginning of block ?
The number of questions in each block is given at the start of the exam. Take the free 150 test it has the same interface.
It was difficult to manage time with the abstracts but the drug ad questions where very straight forward. I was able to complete the blocks with only 20 or 30 seconds remaining.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-19-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 49
Threads: 18
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default how long were the questions

Thanks for sharing your exam exp. Could you please tell how how long were the question.. for example 10-15 lines - 50% of the questions, etc. Also what sample/mock exam were similar to the exam type?

Thanks a lot again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cingulate.gyrus (08-19-2012)
  #9  
Old 08-19-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 342
Threads: 50
Thanked 197 Times in 103 Posts
Reputation: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayursn39 View Post
Finally I am done with the exam.
ABOUT THE EXAM
The exam had blocks of variable lenghts.
Three blocks of 45 q,3 blocks of 44q, 1 block of 43 and the last block was of 40 questions.
The number of questions usually depended on the average length of question in the block but I had a drug ad in the 45 question block.
I had two drug ads and two abstracts.Drug ads were easy. Abstracts were a bit vague.
NOW MOVING ON TO TYPE OF QUESTIONS
20-30% of questions were easy
50-60% of questions were difficult
10-20% of questions I had no idea about what was asked.
Had a lot of questions from dermatology which is my weakest . All with pictures. Many of them I had never seen before.
Rest all were easy.
The only problem I think was that the questions and options required a lot of thinking which really drained a lot of time. Very few questions had the typical presentations which made it difficult to diagnose something Uworld is full of. According to my personal experience it was a bit difficult than Uworld and NBME 4.
Towards the end your mind starts shutting off making it difficult to concentrate. I used the calculator to calculate 10+8
MANAGEMENT OF BREAKS
Took a break after the first block. Then did 2nd and 3rd back to back. After this I took a break after each block. Had lunch after the 4th block. In the end I had 15 minutes of break time remaining.
OVERALL IMPRESSION
I was not satisfied with exam. I think step 1 was very easy compared to this. Now next is the big wait of 6 weeks for the results. Will post my preparation after I get the results.
It's Equal to 18 . .right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-19-2012
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsams View Post
Thanks for sharing your exam exp. Could you please tell how how long were the question.. for example 10-15 lines - 50% of the questions, etc. Also what sample/mock exam were similar to the exam type?

Thanks a lot again
30 % questions had 4-5 lines. (with pictures or media)
40 % questions had 10-15 lines plus labs
20-30 % questions had 2 - 3 lines.
This is a rough estimate.
I had some repeats from Free 150 questions but overall the exam was a bit difficult than nbme 4. Did not take UWSA.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cingulate.gyrus (08-19-2012), sonu.agarwall (08-20-2012)
  #11  
Old 08-20-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 49
Threads: 18
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default Thanks a lot mayursn39

@ mayursn39: Thanks for the estimate. I have my exam this week & wondering how it will be .

May I know what I should be doing now? I am just revising MTB 2 & 3 (that has some uw notes written). anything elso you advice me to do. please let me know

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)