KLN .. to do or not to do?? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2012
numbndumb's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 529
Threads: 57
Thanked 282 Times in 150 Posts
Reputation: 292
Default KLN .. to do or not to do??

Hi guys, i have noticed that the recent exam takers are not only not recommending KLN videos, they are also not recommending reading Kaplan Notes. Some say KLN can be skipped completely and that MTB2 and MTB3 with UW are enough.

What do you guys think? Especially people who just took the exam? Will we miss out on anything important of we skip KLN? Please advice guys! I dont feel like opening that obese KLN internal med book!

Thanks in advance
__________________
I've become so numb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Syndrome X (09-04-2012)



  #2  
Old 09-04-2012
callmerocky2's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 187
Threads: 28
Thanked 101 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 111
Default

I spoke to a few ppl who got their scores in the last 6-12m and the general trend was like those who did only UW got somewhere bw 235-245 and those who did KLN as well got over 250. It is always good to know more.
__________________
You can, If you believe you can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Syndrome X (09-04-2012)
  #3  
Old 09-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 96
Threads: 2
Thanked 118 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbndumb View Post
Hi guys, i have noticed that the recent exam takers are not only not recommending KLN videos, they are also not recommending reading Kaplan Notes. Some say KLN can be skipped completely and that MTB2 and MTB3 with UW are enough.

What do you guys think? Especially people who just took the exam? Will we miss out on anything important of we skip KLN? Please advice guys! I dont feel like opening that obese KLN internal med book!

Thanks in advance
Its a big time confusion nowadays especially after reading various exam experiences. I dont know about you. But if i dont read kaplans at least once i wont feel confident enough for this exam.
It would be great if some one could elaborate more on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-04-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 790
Threads: 76
Thanked 672 Times in 316 Posts
Reputation: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome X View Post
Its a big time confusion nowadays especially after reading various exam experiences. I dont know about you. But if i dont read kaplans at least once i wont feel confident enough for this exam.
It would be great if some one could elaborate more on it.
same here.......i feel inadequate if i dont read kln at least once
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matched!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-04-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 720
Threads: 217
Thanked 551 Times in 308 Posts
Reputation: 561
Default

Kaplan Q bank online I feel is of same standerd as Uworld..
I wqs intialy using Kaplan Online Q .Kaptest.
Recently only i subscribed to uw.
I feel Kaplan Q bank same standered.
But since I have not done with actual exam .I cannot comment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-04-2012
numbndumb's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 529
Threads: 57
Thanked 282 Times in 150 Posts
Reputation: 292
Default

@syndrome X and anomali
yeah same here.. but have you seen how obese and depressing the kaplan IM book is?? PS its sooooooooooooo full of text unlike the step 1 books which had a lot of graphs and tables

@cingulate-gyrus
I meant the kaplan Books. I do not plan on doing the kaplan qbank.. how abt you?
__________________
I've become so numb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-04-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 790
Threads: 76
Thanked 672 Times in 316 Posts
Reputation: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbndumb View Post
@syndrome X and anomali
yeah same here.. but have you seen how obese and depressing the kaplan IM book is?? PS its sooooooooooooo full of text unlike the step 1 books which had a lot of graphs and tables

@cingulate-gyrus
I meant the kaplan Books. I do not plan on doing the kaplan qbank.. how abt you?
hey don't think about it much...while starting IM i felt like i was reading my final year books of davidsons and harrisons ( nostalgic ) but i'm already done with 3/4 of IM. just kick start ur prep and after few days u feel so relieved.Com'n u have to give just one read so buckle up buddy
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matched!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-04-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,046 Posts
Reputation: 2106
Default

I'll say just this: Skip KLN at your own peril.

P.S. Don't believe everything people say on these forums (and that includes me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-04-2012
numbndumb's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 529
Threads: 57
Thanked 282 Times in 150 Posts
Reputation: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomali View Post
hey don't think about it much...while starting IM i felt like i was reading my final year books of davidsons and harrisons ( nostalgic ) but i'm already done with 3/4 of IM. just kick start ur prep and after few days u feel so relieved.Com'n u have to give just one read so buckle up buddy
Already done with 3/4 of IM??? great going buddy!! And all i read was the first 6 pages i.e. preventive medicine. lol.
__________________
I've become so numb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)