Can I skip Kaplan for CK Prep! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2013
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Help Can I skip Kaplan for CK Prep!

Guys,
I recently passed step 1. i have about 3 months to prepare for step 2. Can anyone tell me if Kaplan is necessary part of preparation or i can skip it an instead focus on MTB 2 & 3 and question bank.
plz guys i need ur suggestion.
also did anyone use DIT for step 2. if yes how did it prove to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 01-24-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 26
Default

Congratulations on passing Step 1. I'm in the same situation that you are in, just starting my prep for Step 2. I took Step 1 in December and passed. From what I have gathered in this forum and close friends if you have the information from Step 1 fresh in your memory skip KLN and go straight to MTB 2/3.

Here is my plan to conquer Step 2:

1) Read MTB 2/3 with videos for weak areas.

2) Review MTB 2/3 + UW + annotating.

3) Complete review of MTB 2/3 with annotation of videos and UW.

* note: MTB 2 use for Internal Medicine. MTB 3 use for all other topics: Surgery, Gyn/Obg, Peds, etc.

Let me Know what you think, your input is most welcome.

StepIn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dexterhousemd (01-27-2013), hoor (01-26-2013), hypermedic (02-08-2013), tootsie (01-26-2013), Usmle Maniac (01-26-2013), water (02-09-2013)
  #3  
Old 01-24-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 790
Threads: 76
Thanked 672 Times in 316 Posts
Reputation: 690
Default

I just gave my CK yesterday....

Kaplan is not necessary for the exam. it will not help u in any way. Not in remembering, recollection of imp stuff during real exam.....

Just stick to mtb's and Uworld....they can help u cover over 95% questions in real exam......

My advice---follow mtb 2 for IM and for rest of the subjects follow both MTB 2 and 3....

Be perfect in every line of uworld, do it twice and real exam is more like UWSA or Free 150 fred questions.....

All the best..

hoor....don't worry about kaplan since u have just 3 months, follow mtb n uworld.....GL
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matched!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace843 (02-14-2013), aknz (01-24-2013), akshaya.amc (01-24-2013), beka-CTS (01-27-2013), dexterhousemd (01-27-2013), doxy (01-24-2013), dr.Zh (02-14-2013), heartbeat (01-24-2013), hoor (01-26-2013), hypermedic (02-08-2013), koolkiller88 (01-24-2013), merci12 (04-09-2013), noha83 (03-01-2013), numbndumb (01-27-2013), rupesh (01-27-2013), StepIn (01-24-2013), tamta (08-18-2013), tootsie (01-26-2013), USMLE234 (01-26-2013), venky2600 (01-24-2013), water (02-09-2013), Zamalek (02-18-2013)
  #4  
Old 01-24-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 623
Threads: 111
Thanked 424 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomali View Post
I just gave my CK yesterday....

Kaplan is not necessary for the exam. it will not help u in any way. Not in remembering, recollection of imp stuff during real exam.....

Just stick to mtb's and Uworld....they can help u cover over 95% questions in real exam......

My advice---follow mtb 2 for IM and for rest of the subjects follow both MTB 2 and 3....

Be perfect in every line of uworld, do it twice and real exam is more like UWSA or Free 150 fred questions.....

All the best..

hoor....don't worry about kaplan since u have just 3 months, follow mtb n uworld.....GL
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
anomali (01-24-2013)
  #5  
Old 01-26-2013
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepIn View Post
Congratulations on passing Step 1. I'm in the same situation that you are in, just starting my prep for Step 2. I took Step 1 in December and passed. From what I have gathered in this forum and close friends if you have the information from Step 1 fresh in your memory skip KLN and go straight to MTB 2/3.

Here is my plan to conquer Step 2:

1) Read MTB 2/3 with videos for weak areas.

2) Review MTB 2/3 + UW + annotating.

3) Complete review of MTB 2/3 with annotation of videos and UW.

* note: MTB 2 use for Internal Medicine. MTB 3 use for all other topics: Surgery, Gyn/Obg, Peds, etc.

Let me Know what you think, your input is most welcome.

StepIn
THANKS FOR THE INPUT.im planning to do the same.in step 1 i didnt get time to revise kaplans second time.now i wish i had not at all touched them instaed focused on uwolrd n FA. but i hope we are not making a mistake as most of people go through KAPLAN LECTURE NOTES. did u start your prepration?i was travelling so yet to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-26-2013
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomali View Post
i just gave my ck yesterday....

Kaplan is not necessary for the exam. It will not help u in any way. Not in remembering, recollection of imp stuff during real exam.....

Just stick to mtb's and uworld....they can help u cover over 95% questions in real exam......

My advice---follow mtb 2 for im and for rest of the subjects follow both mtb 2 and 3....

Be perfect in every line of uworld, do it twice and real exam is more like uwsa or free 150 fred questions.....

All the best..

hoor....don't worry about kaplan since u have just 3 months, follow mtb n uworld.....gl
thankyou so much.your reply was a relief.i am quite apprehensive as many people say il be making a blunder if i dnt read kaplans lecture notes.but somehow i dont agree.
You referred about videos? Are you talking about kaplans videos?? Or anyother video? Only for im or all subjects.
Thankyou sooooooooooooo much.your help is reallllly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
anomali (01-26-2013)
  #7  
Old 01-26-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 790
Threads: 76
Thanked 672 Times in 316 Posts
Reputation: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
thankyou so much.your reply was a relief.i am quite apprehensive as many people say il be making a blunder if i dnt read kaplans lecture notes.but somehow i dont agree.
You referred about videos? Are you talking about kaplans videos?? Or anyother video? Only for im or all subjects.
Thankyou sooooooooooooo much.your help is reallllly appreciated.
you are welcome Hoor.....

I read kaplan notes when i started with my preparation. but believe me dude, i couldn't remem even a single line from it during my real exam. I regret studying those notes and instead would have concentrated more on MTB's i feel(u know read it like 4-5 times may be).....u'll remem me saying these lines after ur done with CK....

Reg videos- i dint look at them. I was pretty fresh with my step 1 content so i skipped those vids. but i heard Conrad Fischer IM and OBG videos are really useful, so its your call at the end.

Bottomline: Instead of reading kaplan notes, better to do more rounds of MTB's.


all the best Guys.Prep well..
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matched!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dexterhousemd (01-27-2013), merci12 (04-09-2013), nishaa (02-09-2013), tamta (08-18-2013), Usmle Maniac (01-26-2013), venky2600 (01-26-2013)
  #8  
Old 01-26-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 27
Threads: 15
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Hoor, thank you for asking the question. The answer was useful to many of us.
Step In, it was very nice of you to share your strategy.
Anomali, thank you for sharing your experience. I have read on forums here that MTB2 is deficient in some of the topics. Can you please let us know which topics need to be read from Kaplan, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-27-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Smile

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

Just starting my prep. Got done with S1. Plan to take CK in 3 months on April 30.

Plan: MTB 2/3 >> UW (tutor) + annotate >> UWSA >> Revise MTB 2/3 & notes >> UW (random) >> UWSA >> Revise >> CK <<

I hope this is enough and doable.

PS: To the people taking the exam in April/May, lemme know if you'll have / would like to have an online discussion group/email/skype so we can discuss our progress.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-27-2013
Kas123's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 169
Threads: 8
Thanked 171 Times in 89 Posts
Reputation: 181
Default

Kaplan is def not necessary. Uworld over and over... if you know Uworld and view it as an online book rather then a qbank in which you should know every concept you can destroy the test. I actually did all of DIT in 6 days (didn't sleep) and I thought it was awful for step 2, I don't think it is high yield and it's a complete waste of time. I wish I could have had those 6 days back to study Uworld more and review my notes. I used a lot of different resources and looking back I wish I would have just stuck with one book and done Qbanks over and over and finished thousands of questions. Timing is tough on the test so make sure you can answer questions quick and correct. I was finishing Uworld banks with 10-13 mins left but on the test I was struggling to get through the blocks and rarely had opportunity to go back and review marked questions. As far as MTB2/3 I used 2 only which was decent but missing so much, I switched to FA new edition 8th towards end of exam (last month or so) and found it to be way more inclusive and it also had a lot of the concepts from Uworld. However I think MTB is the best initial book to read once to give you an idea of the order of things to do. If you are like me and feel like you need to use a lot of resources (which I actually think is bad) then reach out to other resources. I watched Kaplan vids which were really fantastic, I did that during my clinical rotations, however there is so much detail and I don't think it is necessary at all nor are the lecture notes. Again it all depends on what score you want etc. I have sen quite a few people on here with the really high score and most did read the Kaplan LN but they also stressed Uworld Uworld Uworld. I guess in the end the more you read the better you do. Good luck you all will destroy the exam!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Brainiac (01-27-2013), dexterhousemd (01-27-2013), hoor (01-28-2013), hypermedic (02-08-2013), nishaa (02-09-2013), Usmle Maniac (01-27-2013), USMLE234 (01-27-2013), Vany16 (02-26-2015), venky2600 (01-27-2013), water (02-09-2013)
  #11  
Old 01-27-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 790
Threads: 76
Thanked 672 Times in 316 Posts
Reputation: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmle Maniac View Post
Hoor, thank you for asking the question. The answer was useful to many of us.
Step In, it was very nice of you to share your strategy.
Anomali, thank you for sharing your experience. I have read on forums here that MTB2 is deficient in some of the topics. Can you please let us know which topics need to be read from Kaplan, if any?
The topics which have not been elaborated in mtb 2 is well covered in uworld like dementias. But for peds and OBG, mtb 2 isn't enough and u need to study both mtb2 and 3 for subjects other than IM.
According to me, there is nothing to review from the kaplan book. instead follow uworld thoroughly.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matched!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Usmle Maniac (01-27-2013), venky2600 (01-27-2013)
  #12  
Old 01-27-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 452
Threads: 11
Thanked 354 Times in 197 Posts
Reputation: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas123 View Post
Kaplan is def not necessary. Uworld over and over... if you know Uworld and view it as an online book rather then a qbank in which you should know every concept you can destroy the test. I actually did all of DIT in 6 days (didn't sleep) and I thought it was awful for step 2, I don't think it is high yield and it's a complete waste of time. I wish I could have had those 6 days back to study Uworld more and review my notes. I used a lot of different resources and looking back I wish I would have just stuck with one book and done Qbanks over and over and finished thousands of questions. Timing is tough on the test so make sure you can answer questions quick and correct. I was finishing Uworld banks with 10-13 mins left but on the test I was struggling to get through the blocks and rarely had opportunity to go back and review marked questions. As far as MTB2/3 I used 2 only which was decent but missing so much, I switched to FA new edition 8th towards end of exam (last month or so) and found it to be way more inclusive and it also had a lot of the concepts from Uworld. However I think MTB is the best initial book to read once to give you an idea of the order of things to do. If you are like me and feel like you need to use a lot of resources (which I actually think is bad) then reach out to other resources. I watched Kaplan vids which were really fantastic, I did that during my clinical rotations, however there is so much detail and I don't think it is necessary at all nor are the lecture notes. Again it all depends on what score you want etc. I have sen quite a few people on here with the really high score and most did read the Kaplan LN but they also stressed Uworld Uworld Uworld. I guess in the end the more you read the better you do. Good luck you all will destroy the exam!!!!
Good to hear.....Uworld has been my main focus, even started it before i picked up MTB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 02-08-2013
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas123 View Post
Kaplan is def not necessary. Uworld over and over... if you know Uworld and view it as an online book rather then a qbank in which you should know every concept you can destroy the test. I actually did all of DIT in 6 days (didn't sleep) and I thought it was awful for step 2, I don't think it is high yield and it's a complete waste of time. I wish I could have had those 6 days back to study Uworld more and review my notes. I used a lot of different resources and looking back I wish I would have just stuck with one book and done Qbanks over and over and finished thousands of questions. Timing is tough on the test so make sure you can answer questions quick and correct. I was finishing Uworld banks with 10-13 mins left but on the test I was struggling to get through the blocks and rarely had opportunity to go back and review marked questions. As far as MTB2/3 I used 2 only which was decent but missing so much, I switched to FA new edition 8th towards end of exam (last month or so) and found it to be way more inclusive and it also had a lot of the concepts from Uworld. However I think MTB is the best initial book to read once to give you an idea of the order of things to do. If you are like me and feel like you need to use a lot of resources (which I actually think is bad) then reach out to other resources. I watched Kaplan vids which were really fantastic, I did that during my clinical rotations, however there is so much detail and I don't think it is necessary at all nor are the lecture notes. Again it all depends on what score you want etc. I have sen quite a few people on here with the really high score and most did read the Kaplan LN but they also stressed Uworld Uworld Uworld. I guess in the end the more you read the better you do. Good luck you all will destroy the exam!!!!
kas could you telll me which topic to read from FA 8th edition coz my MTB books are still on the way. i had to order them and they taking a long time. i have FA with me though.would you plz tell me wht sections i can study from fa til i get my books.thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mina1982 (02-08-2013)
  #14  
Old 02-08-2013
Kas123's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 169
Threads: 8
Thanked 171 Times in 89 Posts
Reputation: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
kas could you telll me which topic to read from FA 8th edition coz my MTB books are still on the way. i had to order them and they taking a long time. i have FA with me though.would you plz tell me wht sections i can study from fa til i get my books.thankyou
I read them all and MTB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 02-08-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 52
Thanked 387 Times in 148 Posts
Reputation: 397
Default thank you guys

so can anyone confirm if he is freshly done with step 1, that step 2 could be done safely with four months time frame?
i am currently fully dedicated with + 10 hours daily, is it enough for to finish with decent score?
__________________
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 02-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermedic View Post
so can anyone confirm if he is freshly done with step 1, that step 2 could be done safely with four months time frame?
i am currently fully dedicated with + 10 hours daily, is it enough for to finish with decent score?

i just gave my step 1 2 days ago. next week is planned to be fun but i need to know the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 02-09-2013
r0ck_s0lid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 225
Threads: 9
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepIn View Post
Congratulations on passing Step 1. I'm in the same situation that you are in, just starting my prep for Step 2. I took Step 1 in December and passed. From what I have gathered in this forum and close friends if you have the information from Step 1 fresh in your memory skip KLN and go straight to MTB 2/3.

Here is my plan to conquer Step 2:

1) Read MTB 2/3 with videos for weak areas.

2) Review MTB 2/3 + UW + annotating.

3) Complete review of MTB 2/3 with annotation of videos and UW.

* note: MTB 2 use for Internal Medicine. MTB 3 use for all other topics: Surgery, Gyn/Obg, Peds, etc.

Let me Know what you think, your input is most welcome.

StepIn
I aint thinkin of doing MTB 3 only Kaplan LN and videos + MTB 2 + UWORLD and maybe Kaplan qBank/ DIT . Is that ok guys I want to score +250 since I only scored 226 on my step 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 02-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterhousemd View Post
Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

Just starting my prep. Got done with S1. Plan to take CK in 3 months on April 30.

Plan: MTB 2/3 >> UW (tutor) + annotate >> UWSA >> Revise MTB 2/3 & notes >> UW (random) >> UWSA >> Revise >> CK <<

I hope this is enough and doable.

PS: To the people taking the exam in April/May, lemme know if you'll have / would like to have an online discussion group/email/skype so we can discuss our progress.

Same case here !!! count me in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 11-26-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Nice post. Will take into account all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I skip the kaplan pharma video meka USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 08-09-2016 09:03 AM
Can I skip Kaplan for Step 1 Prep! younissmed USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 08-28-2012 11:00 AM
Kaplan live lectures; Kaplan Live Prep USMLE Step 1 Course Hope2Pass USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 06-08-2011 04:31 PM
Can I skip the Kaplan Notes and do just the videos? moviesman USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 03-10-2011 04:38 PM
Surgery from Kaplan Lecture Notes; Should I skip the 1st section? Haisook USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 12-23-2010 04:21 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)