My Ck experience-245 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Smile My Ck experience-245

First of all I want to thank my friend who helped me and inspired me and this forums really helped me.I hope this post is useful to atleast a few ppl.
My effective preparation time- 5 months
Materials- Kaplan, MTB 2 & 3
Qbanks- kaplan and UW
nbme 4-198 (5 weeks before the exam)
UWSA- 228 (1 week before the exam)
Free 150 practice questions- 90%
REAL EXAM- 245

I know my scores do not match my real exam score but I did few things which really helped me improve my score.I know its not an awsome score but I hope my advice helps.

1.Be thorough with all the concepts of UW. Really try to absorb every concept from UW. Consolidate the whole UW, by writing notes, or revising it again.Be throrough with MTB as well.Revise it as many times as you can.I was able to revise the whole MTB in 4 days before the exam.

2.First identify your weak areas and target it , focus on that first and make sure your clear about every concept in that topic.

3.Don't panic when you get low scores in NBME's or UWSA we write these exams to know our weak areas, once you know where you have to improve just don't waste time going through the topics which you already know, focus on the weak areas.My weak areas were cardio, psychiatry and biostats and peads which I got high end performance in the real exam.

4.Be thorough with biostatistics, as you will have less time to think .Time management is the key . I had 8 - 10 min to go through the marked questions except for the drug ad blocks.practice your time from the UW, by doing questions in timed mode.

5.This is the most important - a day before exam just relax , sleep effectively,
BE CALM. when the mind is cool , it actually functions beyond our imagined limitations.So just keep the cool and you are going to do just fine.I have observed that i was little worried when I was giving my step 1 , I literally got a headache by the time I reached the last blocks. In Ck I was really calm and I was just enjoying the questions and I really had the energy to do more blocks after the last one.

Believe in yourself and Keep getting better every day

If anyone has specific questions about preparation ,I will be more than happy to help.

I have my Step 2 Cs soon....so PRAY for me please....:sorry:

Last edited by shilpapraveen; 05-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ace843 (05-18-2013), Brainiac (05-10-2013), dipika (05-09-2013), dr.Zh (05-08-2013), drsrb (06-16-2013), eveli55 (05-09-2013), fadi551 (05-08-2013), fromearthwithlov (05-09-2013), hypermedic (05-08-2013), mattjosef (05-19-2013), merci12 (05-09-2013), Neuroman (06-05-2013), nishaa (05-08-2013), oraiby (05-08-2013), radkur (05-14-2013), Ramon Santos (05-08-2013), Remee (05-09-2013), rupesh (05-08-2013), satneet (05-08-2013), sonami (05-08-2013), Srabosti (05-08-2013), tamta (08-06-2013), venky2600 (05-08-2013), water (05-10-2013), y.zakai (05-08-2013)



  #2  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 64
Threads: 3
Thanked 61 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

congrats and thanks for the encouraging experience and the good advice. I have a Q ,after u did the exam did u feel uw is enough as a Q bank or u think kaplan Q bank helps u get more right answers,I know it is helpful in time managing but was it helpful as a Q format and contents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
fromearthwithlov (05-09-2013), shilpapraveen (05-08-2013)
  #3  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

UW and MTB are more than enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sonami (05-08-2013), water (05-10-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 05-08-2013
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

congratulations for gr8 score..

my weak areas is pediatrics and psychiatry...i got less score in it in both nbme's i did....
what did you study for it?...(i did mtb2 and 3 for psychiatry and mtb2,3 and kaplan LN for peds, but still find difficulty answering questions..)

any suggestion..?
thanks and goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
fromearthwithlov (05-09-2013), shilpapraveen (05-08-2013)
  #5  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Well , master the topics which you feel you are weak in in MTB and UW.. until you know that you are clear about everything in that topic..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
fromearthwithlov (05-09-2013), venky2600 (05-08-2013), water (05-10-2013)
  #6  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 64
Threads: 3
Thanked 61 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

thanks and good luck in cs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 22
Threads: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpapraveen View Post
First of all I want to thank my friend who helped me and inspired me and this forums really helped me.I hope this post is useful to atleast a few ppl.
My effective preparation time- 5 months
Materials- Kaplan, MTB 2 & 3
Qbanks- kaplan and UW
nbme 4-198 (5 weeks before the exam)
UWSA- 228 (1 week before the exam)
Free 150 practice questions- 90%
REAL EXAM- 245

I know my scores do not match my real exam score but I did few things which really helped me improve my score.I know its not an awsome score but I hope my advice helps.

1.Be thorough with all the concepts of UW. Really try to absorb every concept from UW. Consolidate the whole UW, by writing notes, or revising it again.Be throrough with MTB as well.Revise it as many times as you can.I was able to revise the whole MTB in 4 days before the exam.

2.First identify your weak areas and target it , focus on that first and make sure your clear about every concept in that topic.

3.Don't panic when you get low scores in NBME's or UWSA we write these exams to know our weak areas, once you know where you have to improve just don't waste time going through the topics which you already know, focus on the weak areas.My weak areas were cardio, psychiatry and biostats and peads which I got high end performance in the real exam.

4.Be thorough with biostatistics, as you will have less time to think .Time management is the key . I had 8 - 10 min to go through the marked questions except for the drug ad blocks.practice your time from the UW, by doing questions in timed mode.

5.This is the most important - a day before exam just relax , sleep effectively,
BE CALM. when the mind is cool , it actually functions beyond our imagined limitations.So just keep the cool and you are going to do just fine.I have observed that i was little worried when I was giving my step 1 , I literally got a headache by the time I reached the last blocks. In Ck I was really calm and I was just enjoying the questions and I really had the energy to do more blocks after the last one.

Believe in yourself and Keep getting better every day

If anyone has specific questions about preparation ,I will be more than happy to help.

I have my Step 2 Cs soon....so PRAY for me please....:sorry:
please if u can tell abt your step 1 score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-08-2013
rupesh's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 386
Threads: 71
Thanked 193 Times in 109 Posts
Reputation: 203
Send a message via AIM to rupesh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpapraveen View Post
First of all I want to thank my friend who helped me and inspired me and this forums really helped me.I hope this post is useful to atleast a few ppl.
My effective preparation time- 5 months
Materials- Kaplan, MTB 2 & 3
Qbanks- kaplan and UW
nbme 4-198 (5 weeks before the exam)
UWSA- 228 (1 week before the exam)
Free 150 practice questions- 90%
REAL EXAM- 245

I know my scores do not match my real exam score but I did few things which really helped me improve my score.I know its not an awsome score but I hope my advice helps.

1.Be thorough with all the concepts of UW. Really try to absorb every concept from UW. Consolidate the whole UW, by writing notes, or revising it again.Be throrough with MTB as well.Revise it as many times as you can.I was able to revise the whole MTB in 4 days before the exam.

2.First identify your weak areas and target it , focus on that first and make sure your clear about every concept in that topic.

3.Don't panic when you get low scores in NBME's or UWSA we write these exams to know our weak areas, once you know where you have to improve just don't waste time going through the topics which you already know, focus on the weak areas.My weak areas were cardio, psychiatry and biostats and peads which I got high end performance in the real exam.

4.Be thorough with biostatistics, as you will have less time to think .Time management is the key . I had 8 - 10 min to go through the marked questions except for the drug ad blocks.practice your time from the UW, by doing questions in timed mode.

5.This is the most important - a day before exam just relax , sleep effectively,
BE CALM. when the mind is cool , it actually functions beyond our imagined limitations.So just keep the cool and you are going to do just fine.I have observed that i was little worried when I was giving my step 1 , I literally got a headache by the time I reached the last blocks. In Ck I was really calm and I was just enjoying the questions and I really had the energy to do more blocks after the last one.

Believe in yourself and Keep getting better every day

If anyone has specific questions about preparation ,I will be more than happy to help.

I have my Step 2 Cs soon....so PRAY for me please....:sorry:
congrats dude that was impressive...
could you please tell me how was drug /abstract q..
was UW and MTB enough for Cardio and GIT/Hepato questions??
thanx in advance and GL for CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default Step 1 i got 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandal View Post
please if u can tell abt your step 1 score?
Step 1 I got 225
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupesh View Post
congrats dude that was impressive...
could you please tell me how was drug /abstract q..
was UW and MTB enough for Cardio and GIT/Hepato questions??
thanx in advance and GL for CS
Uw is enough..Infact I feel there is so much information in UW, really getting to know everything and consolidating it , in itself will need some effort..
Drug abstarct questions are doable, but the tricky part is the time, I got drug add and abstarct in the same block so had infact little time but manageed it.I left it for the end , and came back to it.Practicing UW is enough for drug ad questions.Try to understand the concepts of biostats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
fromearthwithlov (05-09-2013), water (05-10-2013)
  #11  
Old 05-09-2013
rupesh's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 386
Threads: 71
Thanked 193 Times in 109 Posts
Reputation: 203
Send a message via AIM to rupesh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpapraveen View Post
Uw is enough..Infact I feel there is so much information in UW, really getting to know everything and consolidating it , in itself will need some effort..
Drug abstarct questions are doable, but the tricky part is the time, I got drug add and abstarct in the same block so had infact little time but manageed it.I left it for the end , and came back to it.Practicing UW is enough for drug ad questions.Try to understand the concepts of biostats.
thanx dude worried about by cardio and hepato/git coz i m getting persistently low marks ....
exam in 2 week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
fromearthwithlov (05-09-2013)
  #12  
Old 05-09-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 106
Threads: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Hi great score and post! Congrats. :-)
I just started my ck prep now and trying to read Kaplan. Do you think it helped and was worth the time to do either Kaplan lecture notes or video or better to skip that and get straight to MTB? I would appreciate your help. Thanks and good luck for CS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-10-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Hi
I would say take one step at a time, you have to study kaplan inorder to master MTB and UW.. depends on your choice again.I know ck can be very overwhelming but you need the "grit" to keep moving forward.customize ur study according to you , no one can know that better than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 05-10-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupesh View Post
thanx dude worried about by cardio and hepato/git coz i m getting persistently low marks ....
exam in 2 week
Well 2 weeks is a lot of time if your weak topics are cardio anf GIT, I had more things to study when I was left with 2 weeks.I studied MTB 2 & 3 for cardio and 2 for GIT.. do the wrong questions again after u finish with MTB . know why is that topic weak for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
venky2600 (05-10-2013)
  #15  
Old 05-10-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default MTB

How many times did you read MTB 2 and MTB 3? Thanks in advance and I wish you the best of luck for the CS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 05-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 58
Threads: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

[QUOTE=venky2600;189612]congratulations for gr8 score..

my weak areas is pediatrics and psychiatry...i got less score in it in both nbme's i did....
what did you study for it?...(i did mtb2 and 3 for psychiatry and mtb2,3 and kaplan LN for peds, but still find difficulty answering questions..)

any suggestion..?
thanks and goodluck[/QUOTE
Can u tell me the subjects for which mtb's should be studied in step2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-13-2013
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

[QUOTE=sravya;190362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
congratulations for gr8 score..

my weak areas is pediatrics and psychiatry...i got less score in it in both nbme's i did....
what did you study for it?...(i did mtb2 and 3 for psychiatry and mtb2,3 and kaplan LN for peds, but still find difficulty answering questions..)

any suggestion..?
thanks and goodluck[/QUOTE
Can u tell me the subjects for which mtb's should be studied in step2?
as per many step takers.....

mtb2 for all subjects
and mtb 3 for other subjects except I.M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 58
Threads: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

[QUOTE=sravya;190362][QUOTE=venky2600;189612]congratulations for gr8 score..

my weak areas is pediatrics and psychiatry...i got less score in it in both nbme's i did....
what did you study for it?...(i did mtb2 and 3 for psychiatry and mtb2,3 and kaplan LN for peds, but still find difficulty answering questions..)

any suggestion..?
thanks and goodluck[/QUOTE


Can u tell me for which subjects should mtb's be studied in step2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 05-13-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 232 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 242
Smile

What was your % in UW????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evavar View Post
What was your % in UW????
I got 66 % first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
evavar (05-14-2013)
  #21  
Old 05-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 39
Threads: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default congrats!

this may sound a stupid question but how do you use the NBME to diagnose your weak areas?


also how many times did you read MTBs and UW?

I plan on taking NBME 4, 5 weeks before exam and UWSA 1 week before exam. my exam is on July 5.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-17-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Thanked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dream View Post
this may sound a stupid question but how do you use the NBME to diagnose your weak areas?


also how many times did you read MTBs and UW?

I plan on taking NBME 4, 5 weeks before exam and UWSA 1 week before exam. my exam is on July 5.

Thanks.
well if you see the assesment performance analysis in nbme you will notice the subject wise bars, so the one which is wide is inconsistent performance and also you can see the borderline , high and low performance areas. low performance and wide bars are the areas you need to work on ...

Revision is the key I studied MTB 2 & 3 , 3 to 4 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Brainiac (05-20-2013), Dr.Dream (05-18-2013)



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
238/99 my experience prim USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 11-27-2014 12:29 PM
My CK Experience (***/**) iceman_purav USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 23 11-25-2014 09:16 AM
CS experience abeworld USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 9 02-25-2013 07:31 AM
My 97/224 CK experience Dr. N Elham USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 9 05-10-2011 07:16 AM
MY Experience: 99/232 drmuh USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 05-08-2011 09:20 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)