Is it essential to do USMLE World twice? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
USMLEWorld Is it essential to do USMLE World twice?

Hello every one, is it essential to do USMLE world the second time. Would re-learning the concepts from your notes be sufficient? Would it be a risk not to redo it the second time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 06-11-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 530
Threads: 35
Thanked 291 Times in 207 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

depends on your fundamental knowledge, on how much time you have, and how good you went through uworld the first time.
__________________
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-11-2013)
  #3  
Old 06-11-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 281
Threads: 11
Thanked 196 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 206
Default

To be safe, i would do the qbank twice "well". Review every questions, read all options. Use usmle world as a guide for learning.

Let the USMLE world assessement and nbme examinations as your test's of measure as to whether your ready for the real thing.
__________________
Premed[x] Basic Sciences [x] Step 1 [x] Step 2 CK [x] Step 2 CS [x] Step 3 [x]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
radkur (06-17-2013), water (06-12-2013)
  #4  
Old 06-15-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 14
Threads: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

ya it would be better to do it 2-3 times.
and then take one nbme which tells u how far you r from ur exam if u get > 230. u should take u world self assesment within a 2-3 weeks. and if u gt < 230 even after 2 times u world i would recommend u to do kaplan q bank which also very helpful in c.k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-15-2013)
  #5  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

when I finished my first pass at UW i ended up with 76% right. I was days away from the expiration of my subscription, so I started doing the wrong questions and I was scoring 93 to 100% but it was mostly because I already knew the answer, so In my case, I just dropped UW after scoring around 100% in several blocks cause I felt I was not learning anything new. I subscribed to kaplan then which I think It was the wrong thing to do only 10 days away from my exam. kaplan q bank is QUITE DIFFERENT from UW. Anyways so I think, the answer to your question is whatever works for you, if at the first pass you were careful, took your time, paid attention to the wrong answers, etc, then I think you are better off subscribing to another qbank IF you have the money and the time. best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-20-2013)
  #6  
Old 06-24-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullonto View Post
when I finished my first pass at UW i ended up with 76% right. I was days away from the expiration of my subscription, so I started doing the wrong questions and I was scoring 93 to 100% but it was mostly because I already knew the answer, so In my case, I just dropped UW after scoring around 100% in several blocks cause I felt I was not learning anything new. I subscribed to kaplan then which I think It was the wrong thing to do only 10 days away from my exam. kaplan q bank is QUITE DIFFERENT from UW. Anyways so I think, the answer to your question is whatever works for you, if at the first pass you were careful, took your time, paid attention to the wrong answers, etc, then I think you are better off subscribing to another qbank IF you have the money and the time. best of luck!
Bullonto, what was your UWorld average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-24-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

like I said, first pass, timed, random, 76%, then after doing several blocks of questions also in randomed, timed mode for the second time and scoring 95-100% I dropped it. by that time my correct % raised up to 86%. But what more strongly correlated to my final score was my first pass %. I got 251 in the actual exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-24-2013)
  #8  
Old 06-24-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 78
Threads: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullonto View Post
like I said, first pass, timed, random, 76%, then after doing several blocks of questions also in randomed, timed mode for the second time and scoring 95-100% I dropped it. by that time my correct % raised up to 86%. But what more strongly correlated to my final score was my first pass %. I got 251 in the actual exam.
Congrstulations Bullonto! Could you tell us your kaplan Qbank scores? I am getting 48% cummulative with it which is quite disappointing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-24-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullonto View Post
like I said, first pass, timed, random, 76%, then after doing several blocks of questions also in randomed, timed mode for the second time and scoring 95-100% I dropped it. by that time my correct % raised up to 86%. But what more strongly correlated to my final score was my first pass %. I got 251 in the actual exam.
That's a neat score Bullonto. Congrats!! May I ask what your NBME and USWA score are? My first time U world average is 70. Is it any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-24-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
That's a neat score Bullonto. Congrats!! May I ask what your NBME and USWA score are? My first time U world average is 70. Is it any good?
I took uwsa about 4 weeks before my exam and scored 242. I was planning to take an NBME a week or so before the exam but i didn't since I was not going to change my exam date anyways and i didn't wanna feel discouraged if I got a low score or overconfident if i got a High score so, no NBMEs for me. 70% is good. How good? I would say enough to pass with a 230 probably. If you are aiming higher than that consider postponing your exam. Uw scores in qbank are very accurate in predicting scores in my opinion. I remember i went to a web page That gave you an estimated score when you put down your uw qbank score and IT predicted 252!!! I got 251! That's accurate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-25-2013)
  #11  
Old 06-25-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Thanks bullonto!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-25-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuananhbsdk View Post
Congrstulations Bullonto! Could you tell us your kaplan Qbank scores? I am getting 48% cummulative with it which is quite disappointing
my kaplan qbank scores were 78% but I only did around 20% of the whole qbank due to lack of time. I also took the kaplan simulated exam which I think it was a waste of time because in my opinion the questions were very low yield and outdated. but it was good to test my endurance. plus, the Sim. exam does not give you a 3 digit score. I got 77% correct in that one.
scoring 48% is low, but do not be discouraged, you can do this man! we´ve all gone through disappointing times during our preparation, but this is when you gotta think about all you have done so far, the long hours of study, the time away from your loved ones, all the money you have invested in this! no time to feel down, just keep trying, read again! find out in which areas you are weak and read from other sources about it. when your first pass score in a qbank is low I would recommend postponing your exam so you can have time to redo that qbank. in this case, i would definitively do it twice and then UW. but I would also have to tell you that kaplan seemed to me very low yield compared to UW. the length of the questions in kaplan its more like the exam compared to UW but that´s it. I feel kaplan tests a lot of low yield surgery, dermatology and ob/gyn. I can tell you this after having taken my exam. I am sure that if you do UW twice you will absolutely benefit from it. AS YOU SEE, MY DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO THIS THREAD WOULD BE: UW once or twice?? it depends on how well you did in your first pass and how much time you spent grasping the concepts and reviewing the wrong questions you got in the first pass.
best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-25-2013)
  #13  
Old 06-25-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 78
Threads: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullonto View Post
my kaplan qbank scores were 78% but I only did around 20% of the whole qbank due to lack of time. I also took the kaplan simulated exam which I think it was a waste of time because in my opinion the questions were very low yield and outdated. but it was good to test my endurance. plus, the Sim. exam does not give you a 3 digit score. I got 77% correct in that one.
scoring 48% is low, but do not be discouraged, you can do this man! we´ve all gone through disappointing times during our preparation, but this is when you gotta think about all you have done so far, the long hours of study, the time away from your loved ones, all the money you have invested in this! no time to feel down, just keep trying, read again! find out in which areas you are weak and read from other sources about it. when your first pass score in a qbank is low I would recommend postponing your exam so you can have time to redo that qbank. in this case, i would definitively do it twice and then UW. but I would also have to tell you that kaplan seemed to me very low yield compared to UW. the length of the questions in kaplan its more like the exam compared to UW but that´s it. I feel kaplan tests a lot of low yield surgery, dermatology and ob/gyn. I can tell you this after having taken my exam. I am sure that if you do UW twice you will absolutely benefit from it. AS YOU SEE, MY DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO THIS THREAD WOULD BE: UW once or twice?? it depends on how well you did in your first pass and how much time you spent grasping the concepts and reviewing the wrong questions you got in the first pass.
best of luck to you!
Many thanks Bullonto! I will try my best! Best of luck for your application this year :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 06-25-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuananhbsdk View Post
Many thanks Bullonto! I will try my best! Best of luck for your application this year :-)
tuananhbsdk, I think you should do an NBME and see where you stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-25-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 78
Threads: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
tuananhbsdk, I think you should do an NBME and see where you stand.
Thank you, I will do it in two weeks to see if I need to postpone my exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Preparation, USMLEWorld

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Offline Usmle World and Online Usmle World noone_123i USMLE Step 1 Forum 15 06-01-2016 10:00 AM
Is a SECOND read of Kaplan very essential? ReggieMiller USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 04-04-2013 11:58 PM
Essential Documents for the Match sonu.agarwall IMG Residency Match Forum 9 07-15-2012 05:15 PM
Essential Tremor and Hypertension Kabutar111 USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-15-2012 12:44 PM
Kaplan DVDs: How Essential Are They? Xaquake USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 11-19-2009 04:33 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)