CK Score Delay; How Bad It is? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 65
Threads: 13
Thanked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 51
Exam-Results CK Score Delay; How Bad It is?

Hey guys,

So am sure mostly everybody know that step 2 CK will be delayed till Sept 25th if u take it after July 27th. As posted in the USMLE News here
CK Score Reporting Delay for July and August Takers


My question is how much does it really hurt us if ur step 2ck score isn't seen on the first day of sending applications (which is Sept 15th I think).

If anybody has an answer that would be most helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 06-30-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Default

If you apply on September 15th with no CK results then this will have huge negative impact on your application even if you tell them your CK results pending.

Therefore, the wise action is to delay your application until you get the CK results on September 25th. Late September or early October application is still OK, it's not considered late.

Applying with complete profile is extremely important specially in the case of IMGs.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aspirant5 (06-30-2013), dr k (09-05-2014), kdm0101 (06-30-2013), ossa (09-16-2013), ujustgotdoctored (06-30-2013)
  #3  
Old 06-30-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 22
Threads: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default I was told the opposite.!

Hi everybody,
I am in the same place, I tried to get an answer for the same question. Actually I was told that they have like 2 filters. First they filter the applicants to see who they are going to (print/read) their applications, this happens according to the wide based criteria (minimum score/visa status and so). In this process, there are many applicants would filtered off (their applications won't be even considered). After that they start looking at the pool they have (after that first filtration, to see who should receive an invitation for an interview. To be short, if you are late, in application (you are not even on the table while they do that process, and they might be done finishing their first filtration (They don't consider any more applicants. (While they might consider taking a look at the applicants who are bending (Many of the american graduates apply only with Step1 score, so if score report was to be updated, you might get the chance if you are bending.)
It is all opinions, no body really know for sure how it works in the cave.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 06-30-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Default

So you will be filtered out by the first filter if you don't have CK results.

AMGs, true they apply with only step 1 score but that's not the case for IMGs. Residency programs want to see CK score for IMGs.

Again, late September or early October application is not late (so you are not off the table).

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kdm0101 (06-30-2013), md-2011 (07-31-2013)
  #5  
Old 06-30-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 65
Threads: 13
Thanked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

I know that you dont get most of your interviews until the MPSE comes out which is usually in october (anyways u rarely get interviews in september). I guess if I can get my score back before then Ill wait to send out my applications. do some more research during that time. if anybody else hears anything else let post on the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-30-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 274 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 284
Default

yes let us make this thread about putting anything we come across about delayed score impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 22
Threads: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujustgotdoctored View Post
I know that you dont get most of your interviews until the MPSE comes out which is usually in october (anyways u rarely get interviews in september). I guess if I can get my score back before then Ill wait to send out my applications. do some more research during that time. if anybody else hears anything else let post on the thread.


It is not about the time they send the interviews. It is about when they filter the applicants. which could be any where around the first 3 weeks after the 15th.
It was explained to me like that. Let's say the program has 10 residencies to fill. They will interview around 100 applicant for these slots. Now they get 1000 applications let's say (Could be more if we considered that each applicant apply on at least 100 programs, so the ratio is 100:1).
Now they can't go through all the 1000 applications (What about if that program has 30 or 40 residencies, they will receive thousand of applications). So they have a first filter (to see who they will look at, or open their file), these are the basic things, what is your score in Step1, your Visa status, and maybe your CK score. Now let's say that a program got enough american applicants with good step1 score, then ok they are on the table (on the list that we would review to see if we would send them invitation). Then we still have place to fill on that list, let's see if there is any body with both scores.
Then if we have some body with a good step1 score (an IMG) then we might take a look at him if his result was to be updated soon enough (before we start sending the invitations).

It is really relative, no clear rules. We just need to know what is done like in steps, that they do and how that would affect different applicants.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 22
Threads: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
So you will be filtered out by the first filter if you don't have CK results.

AMGs, true they apply with only step 1 score but that's not the case for IMGs. Residency programs want to see CK score for IMGs.

Again, late September or early October application is not late (so you are not off the table).

-
Yes, this might be true, but on the other hand, you still have a chance if they didn't fill their (review) list, and your step1 score is good. It is like you try to sneak in while they filter people they would review (before the door is shut), you are inside with a sign (waiting for update).
You might apply later (after that list is already done, and they reached the number they planned to view for that year). Then you are not considered, like you applied after we already decided who we would review. ERAS won't care any way, they collect the fee.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 114
Threads: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
So you will be filtered out by the first filter if you don't have CK results.

AMGs, true they apply with only step 1 score but that's not the case for IMGs. Residency programs want to see CK score for IMGs.

Again, late September or early October application is not late (so you are not off the table).

-
Hi Steptaker... I ll be taking ck in 1st week of aug which means my result will be out in oct 1st week so taking into account few days for ECFMG certificate if I apply by 10-15 October is it too late for this yr match? M freaking out... I don't wanna waste one yr..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,316
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,901 Times in 1,809 Posts
Reputation: 4954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspdoc1 View Post
Hi Steptaker... I ll be taking ck in 1st week of aug which means my result will be out in oct 1st week so taking into account few days for ECFMG certificate if I apply by 10-15 October is it too late for this yr match? M freaking out... I don't wanna waste one yr..
Probably late for some programs.
In that case apply in September with CK pending.
I would say the cutoff is the end of first week of October.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Aspdoc1 (07-01-2013)
  #11  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 171
Threads: 8
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspdoc1 View Post
Hi Steptaker... I ll be taking ck in 1st week of aug which means my result will be out in oct 1st week so taking into account few days for ECFMG certificate if I apply by 10-15 October is it too late for this yr match? M freaking out... I don't wanna waste one yr..
Why do you say your result will be out in the first week of October? The announcement clearly stated everyone taking the exam in late July and August will get their scores on Sept 25th.

And from what I know you get ECFMG certified as soon as you receive your score, so you can apply for the programs right away. Only the physical certificate reaches you 2-3 weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 114
Threads: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Really? I thot they will follow d Wednesday cycle from 25th sept onwards.. Correct me if I m wrong but I thot if I write ck on 5th aug I ll get my result on 2nd October according to Wednesday cycle.. My brain has stopped working is it not like dat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 07-01-2013
Vehla's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 103
Threads: 6
Thanked 102 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspdoc1 View Post
Really? I thot they will follow d Wednesday cycle from 25th sept onwards.. Correct me if I m wrong but I thot if I write ck on 5th aug I ll get my result on 2nd October according to Wednesday cycle.. My brain has stopped working is it not like dat?
here s how it works: if your 3rd wednesday is on or before 25 th sept you will get your result on 25th sept, irrespective of wen u appeared.
__________________
Aspirations are good, untill it's gastric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Aspdoc1 (07-02-2013)
  #14  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 114
Threads: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehla View Post
here s how it works: if your 3rd wednesday is on or before 25 th sept you will get your result on 25th sept, irrespective of wen u appeared.
Hey.. Dat sounds reassuring... Where did u get dis info from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 07-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 171
Threads: 8
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspdoc1 View Post
Hey.. Dat sounds reassuring... Where did u get dis info from?
From the USMLE website. You just have to read more carefully.


Score reports for Step 2 CK are usually available within four weeks of testing. However, because of routine modifications to the test item pool, score reporting for most Step 2 CK examinations administered in late July and August will take longer. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing in late July and August is Wednesday, September 25, 2013. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 2 CK scores before September 25, it is recommended that they take Step 2 CK no later than July 27, 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Aspdoc1 (07-02-2013)



  #16  
Old 07-02-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 114
Threads: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Thanx a lot guyz for clarifying my doubt.. Now feeling a lot better..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 07-22-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 13
Default nervous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
From the USMLE website. You just have to read more carefully.


Score reports for Step 2 CK are usually available within four weeks of testing. However, because of routine modifications to the test item pool, score reporting for most Step 2 CK examinations administered in late July and August will take longer. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing in late July and August is Wednesday, September 25, 2013. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 2 CK scores before September 25, it is recommended that they take Step 2 CK no later than July 27, 2013.
im planning on giving my ck on sep 2nd... as per the rules 25th sep is still the 4th wednesday after my exam date and hence my reporting date... but im worried since the ecfmg report doesnt mention anything about september... or is that only because people giving in september 1-3 will get their results only on sep 25th even without delay???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 07-22-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 171
Threads: 8
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashen View Post
im planning on giving my ck on sep 2nd... as per the rules 25th sep is still the 4th wednesday after my exam date and hence my reporting date... but im worried since the ecfmg report doesnt mention anything about september... or is that only because people giving in september 1-3 will get their results only on sep 25th even without delay???
My guess is as good as yours. If I were a betting man I'd say there's a good chance you'll get your score report on 25th. I think reporting schedule goes back to normal from Sept 1 onward. You could call ECFMG to make sure but I doubt they'll help. I called them to ask if there's any difference if I schedule my exam in early or late August and they didn't dignify my question with a response saying they have the same information that we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sashen (07-22-2013)
  #19  
Old 07-24-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 94 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Is there a chance to get the score BEFORE Sept 25h for those testing after July 27th? Of is that really when the score release begins. I'm debating between bumping my date up to early August if that means if I will get my score earlier. If not, I will leave it to end of August and just study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 07-24-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 171
Threads: 8
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhs08 View Post
Is there a chance to get the score BEFORE Sept 25h for those testing after July 27th? Of is that really when the score release begins. I'm debating between bumping my date up to early August if that means if I will get my score earlier. If not, I will leave it to end of August and just study.
I don't think so. I'd stick with the late August scheduled date if I were you. The article categorically states that the target date is Sept 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
fhs08 (07-24-2013)
  #21  
Old 07-24-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 94 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
I don't think so. I'd stick with the late August scheduled date if I were you. The article categorically states that the target date is Sept 25.
That's what I figured. Thought I would conform. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Exam-Results, Match-Timeline

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CK score delay for Late July and Aug kdm0101 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 06-21-2013 06:45 AM
CS score delay blerimi8 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 0 09-29-2012 08:47 PM
The new delay in CK Score reports Tempe USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 06-13-2012 04:00 AM
Delay in Step1 Score Reporting sandy282 ECFMG Forum 3 04-24-2012 11:24 PM
Step 1 score delay dr_mhm USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 04-05-2011 08:29 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)