why iron given intramuscularly? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 213
Threads: 54
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Reputation: 63
Wink why iron given intramuscularly?

When oral iron is insufficient..why IM and not IV or etc...can anyone explain the physiology behind this?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 07-21-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBOSSguy View Post
When oral iron is insufficient..why IM and not IV or etc...can anyone explain the physiology behind this?
Thanks.
MMm kind of weird, accordng to Jason Family review IM is not recommended anymore because it causes muscle necrosis and a permanent spot.

IV Iron Sucrose is a good choice, Iron Dextran is extremely anaphylactic.

Oral Iron most of the time is the preferred route, remember not to mix it with Ca++, Aluminium, Tetracyclines and PPIs (Iron is better absorbed in an acidic environment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bigBOSSguy (07-22-2013), billy (07-22-2013)
  #3  
Old 07-21-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 213
Threads: 54
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
MMm kind of weird, accordng to Jason Family review IM is not recommended anymore because it causes muscle necrosis and a permanent spot.

IV Iron Sucrose is a good choice, Iron Dextran is extremely anaphylactic.

Oral Iron most of the time is the preferred route, remember not to mix it with Ca++, Aluminium, Tetracyclines and PPIs (Iron is better absorbed in an acidic environment).
It was written in MTB step 2ck newer edition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 07-22-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBOSSguy View Post
It was written in MTB step 2ck newer edition.
Yes I know, I have that book and I also read that and had that idea, however for STEP 3, apparently things have changed (it is new, they quoted a 2012 article, cant remember the name).

Probably they put IM because of ease of application... depends on what the question is asking though. I would analyze the whole pt scenario before deciding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bigBOSSguy (07-22-2013)
  #5  
Old 07-22-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 530
Threads: 35
Thanked 291 Times in 207 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
Yes I know, I have that book and I also read that and had that idea, however for STEP 3, apparently things have changed (it is new, they quoted a 2012 article, cant remember the name).

Probably they put IM because of ease of application... depends on what the question is asking though. I would analyze the whole pt scenario before deciding.
If u cant absorb iron properly - add Vit C to give the acidic environment
__________________
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bigBOSSguy (07-22-2013)
  #6  
Old 07-22-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadde View Post
If u cant absorb iron properly - add Vit C to give the acidic environment
Yup, any acidic substance will enhance Iron absorption ( I put that on my previous post, citing that Iron requires acid and that anything that causes an alkali environment and/or chelates iron is contraindicated)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bigBOSSguy (07-22-2013)



Reply

Tags
Pharmacology-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iron is bound to...? venky2600 USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 10-16-2012 10:35 AM
Iron Loving Bacteria svmle USMLE Step 2 CK Bits & Pieces 0 07-12-2012 09:26 AM
Normal Iron Studies! tyagee USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 05-25-2012 02:16 PM
iron overdose chienpolska USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 08-10-2011 07:46 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)