Mr Mapsy Back from CK Exam - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Experiences Mr Mapsy Back from CK Exam

Dear hardworkers,

Thanks God finished my exam. I really don't know how it went. but my fair advice is please practice as much questions as you can just to manage time.
The only thing which makes a big issue is time management, rest every question is doable .
I will write my experience after my results, please pray for my good results as I am not satisfied what I did today.

Special note: UW is a very good source but exam questions are 2x more tough than UW in length wise and difficulty (tricky) wise. And please don't miss free 150 questions, I had 5-7 questions with same concept.

All the best my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ahuizotl (09-20-2013), aj23 (09-16-2013), billy (09-12-2013), DocSikorski (09-12-2013), Doctor Ali (09-12-2013), dr.Zh (01-02-2014), drsrb (09-12-2013), extubate (09-17-2013), kid_next_door (09-12-2013), kimmim (09-12-2013), made4usmle (09-12-2013), MedicalExaminer (09-17-2013), mission 13 (09-12-2013), mulchandani161 (09-12-2013), Reactant (09-12-2013), rg99 (09-12-2013), rockstar88 (09-16-2013), rohit39 (09-12-2013), step1saga (09-16-2013), tamta (09-14-2013), usmle125 (09-12-2013)



  #2  
Old 09-12-2013
billy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 444
Threads: 109
Thanked 369 Times in 208 Posts
Reputation: 379
Post

All the best
__________________
You only live once,but if you do it right,once is enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 36
Threads: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

thanks for sharing. All the best fr result.

were there a lots of imaging questions?
how were the ads n abstracts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle125 View Post
thanks for sharing. All the best fr result.

were there a lots of imaging questions?
how were the ads n abstracts?


Imaging questions, ecgs, video/audio questions are the most easy part do not worry. I had 3 ecgs, 5-6 images all are present in MTB.
regarding drug adds,,,I dint have a clue just guessed. I had 3 abstract qs and 2 drugs adds.
thanks.
Psychi questions were the most tricky one and lengthy one, UW is not a very good source for that. but still helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle125 (09-12-2013)
  #5  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 36
Threads: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

thats reassuring thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

what is MTB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-12-2013
billy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 444
Threads: 109
Thanked 369 Times in 208 Posts
Reputation: 379
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by afshanwshaikh View Post
what is MTB?

Master The Boards
__________________
You only live once,but if you do it right,once is enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 228
Threads: 31
Thanked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

which according to you is the most important thing to target on in the last month? also which book to read ..??

let us know what helped you the most in this exam. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-12-2013
made4usmle's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 134
Threads: 18
Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

I totally agree with Mr Mapsy, i also took my exam today.
It was not a smooth ride(as opposed to step1).
Questions were long, barely finished on time(missed one drug ad question)
Most important concepts were from preventive medicine(most likely to decrease mortality in long term?)
I dont have any idea were 30% questions came from?( I read MTB2/3. KLN, Uworld/ Step up to medicine)
50-60% questions went fine.(exam tried to bend the question in every way though)
In 20% its like there is confusion between 2 options.
Rest I dont know
Yeah I know every step2ck taker comes out with similar feeling..Lets see how luck works out for me..
Last thing TIME MANAGEMENT(Those will be shortest 1 hours of your life) is crucial, its like scoop and run..Did drug ads?abstracts?media questions in end(they take 4-5mins of my time.
Best of luck Mr. Mapsy & everyone..Our hard work will not go waste..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ABHINAVDR (09-12-2013), billy (09-12-2013), DocSikorski (09-12-2013), dr.Zh (01-02-2014), kid_next_door (09-13-2013), mission 13 (09-12-2013), Mr Mapsy (09-12-2013), tamta (09-14-2013), usmle125 (09-12-2013)
  #10  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Let me tell you exactly what I really felt inside the exam room.

1. Never stop on any question just pick and go. I have seen many doable questions were last 5to 6. but mismanagment of time can lead to miss them.
2. MTB is very good source for initial and best managment step but today I really believe that Golgan is one of the best book for any usmle exams to build concepts( I mean for those people with weak concepts). step2 ck is all about your concepts.
3. If you want to know the difficulty level of exams, than let me give you a clear cut answer. everyone who had done 150 free questions and out of that questions the one you got wrong are equal to the doable questions of exam.
4. Length of a average question in real exam consists of 10-12 lines.
5. for step1 you can judge easily without even seeing the answers but for step2ck you have to rule out in most of the options.
6. UW still is one of good source but not as best as step 1.
7. I recommend everyone to save 20% of UW for the last 5 days and do daily 4 blocks in assesment time mood as you have never seen that questions before.
8. Eat and drink as much as you can during the breaks. In my exam everyblock consist of 44 questions except two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
chrisabdur (10-02-2013), kid_next_door (09-14-2013), mission 13 (09-12-2013), pp06060 (09-16-2013), tamta (09-14-2013), usmle125 (09-12-2013)
  #11  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspirant5 View Post
which according to you is the most important thing to target on in the last month? also which book to read ..??

let us know what helped you the most in this exam. thanks!

Do UW and then read wrongs answers explanation from UW and MTB at the same time and put questions on forums to confirm. In this way you will remember and will never forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aspirant5 (09-12-2013)
  #12  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by made4usmle View Post
I totally agree with Mr Mapsy, i also took my exam today.
It was not a smooth ride(as opposed to step1).
Questions were long, barely finished on time(missed one drug ad question)
Most important concepts were from preventive medicine(most likely to decrease mortality in long term?)
I dont have any idea were 30% questions came from?( I read MTB2/3. KLN, Uworld/ Step up to medicine)
50-60% questions went fine.(exam tried to bend the question in every way though)
In 20% its like there is confusion between 2 options.
Rest I dont know
Yeah I know every step2ck taker comes out with similar feeling..Lets see how luck works out for me..
Last thing TIME MANAGEMENT(Those will be shortest 1 hours of your life) is crucial, its like scoop and run..Did drug ads?abstracts?media questions in end(they take 4-5mins of my time.
Best of luck Mr. Mapsy & everyone..Our hard work will not go waste..


Best of Luck buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 228
Threads: 31
Thanked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Any of you guys suggest doing Kaplan qbank ? Thanks for the feedback guys..really feel stressed about the exam..really need a good score this time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 55
Threads: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

6. UW still is one of good source but not as best as step 1.


do you think we should do kaplan qbank and u world both for the exam?
all the best for score friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Thanks Mr Mapsy and Made4usmle..

Good Luck to both of you..!

I desperately wanted a suggestion.

Iam planning to consolidate my knowledge by reading mtb2 , kaplan nots for obg, paeds, sx, n psy and uworld

Am planning to review all the videos once n read kaplan IM along with mtb2.

so do u think it shud b okay if i skip MTB 3.! I am mean is it some thing that i will miss if i dont read it..!!?? Hope to hear from both of you

Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 149
Threads: 13
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 56
Send a message via AIM to absolutjag9
Default

thank you for sharing with us your experience. do you believe that kaplan qbank should be done in addition to uworld? and just to make sure...are you saying that the difficulty level in usmle ck qs on the actual exam are similar to the questions you get wrong on the free 150?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

are you saying that the difficulty level in usmle ck qs on the actual exam are similar to the questions you get wrong on the free 150?[/QUOTE]

In most of the questions, Yess !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 09-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 5
Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Regarding kaplan q bank.

Kaplan q bank is only good for time managment bc questions of kaplan q-bank are lengthy than UW.

MTB3 is far more good book than mtb2 if you notice closely its more arranged, you can never miss this book.
the most easy part of this exam was cardiology , simple questions about murmurs. I dint get any questions about managment of MI etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

thanks ..! that means if i just use kaplan instead of mtb 3..that wont do??

like most ppl read IM from MTB2 n the rest from MTB3..So if i instead of MTB3 for other subjects use kaplan itself..will it make some diff??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kid_next_door (09-13-2013)
  #20  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 141
Threads: 11
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
Reputation: 143
Send a message via Skype™ to kid_next_door
Default

Thank you for sharing your experience,

I too read all of IM from MTB 2 and just refereed MTB 3 for a few things....
Rest all subjects from both MTB 2 & MTB 3, ....
I am doing both Kaplan Qbank & Uworld....

Do you think I should do IM from MTB 3 also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Is MTB 3 the one wid green colour n a small cornad fisher photo at the bottom..!

The 2012 edition? Nd with BOLD USMLE written in GREy...?

Have to buy the book soo am confused..! Help will be appreciated..! any bodyy please



Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 141
Threads: 11
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
Reputation: 143
Send a message via Skype™ to kid_next_door
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission 13 View Post
Is MTB 3 the one wid green colour n a small cornad fisher photo at the bottom..!

The 2012 edition? Nd with BOLD USMLE written in GREy...?

Have to buy the book soo am confused..! Help will be appreciated..! any bodyy please



Ty
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Boards-...+boards+step+3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mission 13 (09-13-2013)
  #23  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Thank you for sharing your experience

But this is my first step to have So, how do you think I can overcome this weak point you mentioned in this quote :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mapsy View Post
2. MTB is very good source for initial and best managment step but today I really believe that Golgan is one of the best book for any usmle exams to build concepts( I mean for those people with weak concepts). step2 ck is all about your concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 177
Threads: 8
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by made4usmle View Post
I totally agree with Mr Mapsy, i also took my exam today.
It was not a smooth ride(as opposed to step1).
Questions were long, barely finished on time(missed one drug ad question)
Most important concepts were from preventive medicine(most likely to decrease mortality in long term?)
I dont have any idea were 30% questions came from?( I read MTB2/3. KLN, Uworld/ Step up to medicine)
50-60% questions went fine.(exam tried to bend the question in every way though)
In 20% its like there is confusion between 2 options.
Rest I dont know
Yeah I know every step2ck taker comes out with similar feeling..Lets see how luck works out for me..
Last thing TIME MANAGEMENT(Those will be shortest 1 hours of your life) is crucial, its like scoop and run..Did drug ads?abstracts?media questions in end(they take 4-5mins of my time.
Best of luck Mr. Mapsy & everyone..Our hard work will not go waste..
thank u for sharing. as far as I know u had very outstanding prep for the exam.If u felt the exam the hard then how other people manage to pass the exam.

I think you will get above 260.

I remember used to read the step 1 experience and used to scared to death reading all the experiences posted in the forums. I would say very few people said the the exam was doable with easy to moderate to difficulty in most of the qs. obviously 4/5 qs would be hard and confusing just like nbme.

I observed that those people who takes the least amount of time prep and after coming out exam says that the exam was a hell , tend to score the highest.

Because, they are vey good and their expectation from exam is to correct 100 percent qs.

In actual exam, the qs look lengthy because they use a big font and and they give all the labs and physical exam findings. I personally feel if they give lots of clues then its easy to differentiate from list of choices .

I got a q from usmle rx , it just say a patient with painless jaundice and weight loss with no other clue.

I choose hepatocellular ca , but the answer was pancreatic cancer cause it is the most common cause of painless jaundice.

anyway , good luck to ur score
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 228
Threads: 31
Thanked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Guys! what's usmle rx..and how useful it is? i want to leave nothing this time to get a good score. Does Kalpan q bank show any hike in performance after going through it...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 09-13-2013
made4usmle's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 134
Threads: 18
Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission 13 View Post
Thanks Mr Mapsy and Made4usmle..

Good Luck to both of you..!

I desperately wanted a suggestion.

Iam planning to consolidate my knowledge by reading mtb2 , kaplan nots for obg, paeds, sx, n psy and uworld

Am planning to review all the videos once n read kaplan IM along with mtb2.

so do u think it shud b okay if i skip MTB 3.! I am mean is it some thing that i will miss if i dont read it..!!?? Hope to hear from both of you

Ty
if you are reading KLN and mtb2, I think you can skip mtb3 all together. MTB3 is consolidated KLN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mission 13 (09-14-2013)
  #27  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

I just took my exam the same day . And I can ditto this post.
My exam was very long and I ran short of time on every single block, except two. I was really surprised to see drug adds in every single block but the last one. I left them for the last, but never had time to do them. This has me really worried. Other than that I can ditto everything this poster said.
Its the same concepts we come across, but the answer choices are so close. I was narrowed to two answer choices, and that really hurts the timing.

Just praying for now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kid_next_door (09-14-2013)
  #28  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default ??



Apart from IM videos, which oder are absolutely mandatory to watch?

Any ones which we can skip??

Videos taking too long... Help will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 141
Threads: 11
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
Reputation: 143
Send a message via Skype™ to kid_next_door
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission 13 View Post


Apart from IM videos, which oder are absolutely mandatory to watch?

Any ones which we can skip??

Videos taking too long... Help will be appreciated
I didn't hear any good things about Pediatrics videos, however I will be doing then starting Monday... I will give you my opinion next week...

I am going to do them even if they are not good because they are not that long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_next_door View Post
I didn't hear any good things about Pediatrics videos, however I will be doing then starting Monday... I will give you my opinion next week...

I am going to do them even if they are not good because they are not that long...
Hey thanks..! i have just heard Obs n IM till now.. Wat abt gynae lec? shud we do dem too..!?
U mean i shud go thru SX, paeds . psy too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 141
Threads: 11
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
Reputation: 143
Send a message via Skype™ to kid_next_door
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission 13 View Post
Hey thanks..! i have just heard Obs n IM till now.. Wat abt gynae lec? shud we do dem too..!?
U mean i shud go thru SX, paeds . psy too
About Surgery and OBGY:

Since I am not reading KLN, I think that I am going to do those videos even if they are bad....

If you are reading KLN, then I don't know... I guess you could skip videos if you are comfortable with the topics

what I know from trolling USMLE forums is that you can do psychiatry from any where... even from step 1 books, but don't take my word for it... veryfiy this from someone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mission 13 (09-14-2013)
  #32  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

To be honest with you guys doing too much works against this exam. Stick with two sources and know them really well
Trust me its better than using so many and then forgetting. The exam needs a reflex reaction to the questions there's no time to analyze.
Stick to mtb and uworld. Kaplan is too much. And I wouldn't even worry about kaplan q bank. Most questions I did there were too easy and more importantly analyzing technique applied to those questions is completely different , it might work for some other exam but not step.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kid_next_door (09-14-2013), mission 13 (09-14-2013)
  #33  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Also I can say that, EVERYTHING is covered in these two sources, if you know them well. The thing is, you can eliminate options that are completely wrong that way, next thing you know ,you are left with two options or even one. Some concepts tested might seem foreign but they are asking a very simple question, it is important for the mind to recongnize that hidden concept.
And "The mind cant see what it doesn't know" is completely true in this case.
Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kid_next_door (09-14-2013), mission 13 (09-14-2013)
  #34  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 141
Threads: 11
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
Reputation: 143
Send a message via Skype™ to kid_next_door
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by step1saga View Post
Also I can say that, EVERYTHING is covered in these two sources, if you know them well. The thing is, you can eliminate options that are completely wrong that way, next thing you know ,you are left with two options or even one. Some concepts tested might seem foreign but they are asking a very simple question, it is important for the mind to recongnize that hidden concept.
And "The mind cant see what it doesn't know" is completely true in this case.
Just my two cents.
I get what you are saying, generally I plan on using only those 2 sources... I am adding on Kaplan Qbank because almost everyone says the most important thing is to do as many questions as possible...

I understand you point and I will try to be as perfect with Uworld and MTB as I can...

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
step1saga (09-14-2013)
  #35  
Old 09-14-2013
made4usmle's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 134
Threads: 18
Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polok15 View Post
thank u for sharing. as far as I know u had very outstanding prep for the exam.If u felt the exam the hard then how other people manage to pass the exam.

I think you will get above 260.

I remember used to read the step 1 experience and used to scared to death reading all the experiences posted in the forums. I would say very few people said the the exam was doable with easy to moderate to difficulty in most of the qs. obviously 4/5 qs would be hard and confusing just like nbme.

I observed that those people who takes the least amount of time prep and after coming out exam says that the exam was a hell , tend to score the highest.

Because, they are vey good and their expectation from exam is to correct 100 percent qs.

In actual exam, the qs look lengthy because they use a big font and and they give all the labs and physical exam findings. I personally feel if they give lots of clues then its easy to differentiate from list of choices .

I got a q from usmle rx , it just say a patient with painless jaundice and weight loss with no other clue.

I choose hepatocellular ca , but the answer was pancreatic cancer cause it is the most common cause of painless jaundice.

anyway , good luck to ur score
Thank you polok , I wish I get what you have mentioned.
Exam was totally different from nbme and some what close to uworld. The problem is not that one cannot know what is being asked, but is the decision one has to take b/w 2 options which appear identical. one should have deep knowledge and clarity of concepts.

For the question u have asked, most likely diagnos is will be pancreatic or cholangiocarcinoma as HCC is seldom associated with jaundice, as it has to compress a major bile duct to present with jaundice. Other 2 cancers can easily compress cbd by virtue of their location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 09-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 177
Threads: 8
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by made4usmle View Post
Thank you polok , I wish I get what you have mentioned.
Exam was totally different from nbme and some what close to uworld. The problem is not that one cannot know what is being asked, but is the decision one has to take b/w 2 options which appear identical. one should have deep knowledge and clarity of concepts.

For the question u have asked, most likely diagnos is will be pancreatic or cholangiocarcinoma as HCC is seldom associated with jaundice, as it has to compress a major bile duct to present with jaundice. Other 2 cancers can easily compress cbd by virtue of their location.
yea u are right , but its not that hepatocellularcarcinoma wont present with painless jaundice.So, I would say it was a poor question or confusing or hard question.

But, my understandting says ususally USMLE qs are very well written like USMLEWORLD, so that only one correct answer can be possible. In Kaplan test taking strategy they say always read the qs and try to figure out the diagnosis , don't waste ur time try find out why other choices are not correct.

I believe as u practice more and more , u kind of develop the capacity of the correct answer between confusing ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 09-15-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 13
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by step1saga View Post
Also I can say that, EVERYTHING is covered in these two sources, if you know them well. The thing is, you can eliminate options that are completely wrong that way, next thing you know ,you are left with two options or even one. Some concepts tested might seem foreign but they are asking a very simple question, it is important for the mind to recongnize that hidden concept.
And "The mind cant see what it doesn't know" is completely true in this case.
Just my two cents.
Thanks you step1saga for your feedback! I wish it was that easy!!

How do you suggest to recognize that hidden concept if only using those two sources?

I was worried about basic science questions (pathophysiology/pharma/micro mechanisms) . I was thinking of using another question book like usmlrx or kaplan qbook but I may listen to your advice instead if you can help direct me more to what you mean?

The worst feeling is being stuck with not 2 but maybe even 3 answer choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 09-15-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default Question length

In 12 lines do you mean that whole text is in 12 lines or you also mean labs are included in 12 lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 09-16-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 515
Threads: 88
Thanked 507 Times in 232 Posts
Reputation: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mapsy View Post
Dear hardworkers,

Thanks God finished my exam. I really don't know how it went. but my fair advice is please practice as much questions as you can just to manage time.
The only thing which makes a big issue is time management, rest every question is doable .
I will write my experience after my results, please pray for my good results as I am not satisfied what I did today.

Special note: UW is a very good source but exam questions are 2x more tough than UW in length wise and difficulty (tricky) wise. And please don't miss free 150 questions, I had 5-7 questions with same concept.

All the best my friends.
I totally agree, I've similar impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40  
Old 09-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshreeekg View Post
Thanks you step1saga for your feedback! I wish it was that easy!!

How do you suggest to recognize that hidden concept if only using those two sources?

I was worried about basic science questions (pathophysiology/pharma/micro mechanisms) . I was thinking of using another question book like usmlrx or kaplan qbook but I may listen to your advice instead if you can help direct me more to what you mean?

The worst feeling is being stuck with not 2 but maybe even 3 answer choices
You are right, its not that easy to put it like that , and definitely I was exaggerating with "everything". I wish I could help..What I meant is, the UW explanations provide the understanding when we read closely. But I haven't done Rx so I couldn't help there Kaplan explanations, I personally didn't vouch for....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jayshreeekg (09-16-2013)
  #41  
Old 09-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 13
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by step1saga View Post
You are right, its not that easy to put it like that , and definitely I was exaggerating with "everything". I wish I could help..What I meant is, the UW explanations provide the understanding when we read closely. But I haven't done Rx so I couldn't help there Kaplan explanations, I personally didn't vouch for....
Thanks for writing back!

Since you finished the exam (I think?) how much of basic pathophysiology was touched back in UW? I have only begin the questions and cannot make an assessment on this. I might go back and review some of this from doing uworld step 1 questions again since it has been a few years from the test I took. MTB CK surely doesn't touch into this. Was hoping another batch of CK questions could cover this or review books but doubting anytihing is around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42  
Old 09-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshreeekg View Post
Thanks for writing back!

Since you finished the exam (I think?) how much of basic pathophysiology was touched back in UW? I have only begin the questions and cannot make an assessment on this. I might go back and review some of this from doing uworld step 1 questions again since it has been a few years from the test I took. MTB CK surely doesn't touch into this. Was hoping another batch of CK questions could cover this or review books but doubting anytihing is around.
No problem
Uw is actually so good at explaining thinks if we can remember everything in there, there would be no need to use anything else . It's very dense you will see the explanations are amazing. I wish I had more time to go through them .
Anyways you can use any source to understand better . It's an individual preference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43  
Old 09-17-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Hoping for the best results guys... I'm looking forward for the upcoming result. I hope I can share my experience too in this thread. It helps me a lot whenever I read your testimonies.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44  
Old 10-02-2013
made4usmle's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 134
Threads: 18
Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by made4usmle View Post
I totally agree with Mr Mapsy, i also took my exam today.
It was not a smooth ride(as opposed to step1).
Questions were long, barely finished on time(missed one drug ad question)
Most important concepts were from preventive medicine(most likely to decrease mortality in long term?)
I dont have any idea were 30% questions came from?( I read MTB2/3. KLN, Uworld/ Step up to medicine)
50-60% questions went fine.(exam tried to bend the question in every way though)
In 20% its like there is confusion between 2 options.
Rest I dont know
Yeah I know every step2ck taker comes out with similar feeling..Lets see how luck works out for me..
Last thing TIME MANAGEMENT(Those will be shortest 1 hours of your life) is crucial, its like scoop and run..Did drug ads?abstracts?media questions in end(they take 4-5mins of my time.
Best of luck Mr. Mapsy & everyone..Our hard work will not go waste..
Got 259.. 3 points less than step 1 score...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tamta (10-03-2013)
  #45  
Old 10-02-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 120
Threads: 21
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by made4usmle View Post
Got 259.. 3 points less than step 1 score...
congratsssss that is really gr8 score..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
made4usmle (10-02-2013)






Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just came back from exam warfarin90 USMLE Step 1 Forum 32 04-21-2013 10:12 PM
Just came back from Exam center. Doc4step1 Exam experience. Read on! Doc4Step1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 27 03-22-2013 07:14 AM
back from the exam..... laurier USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 09-25-2011 08:22 AM
Just back from the exam tunde michael USMLE Step 1 Forum 14 01-03-2011 01:24 AM
Back from exam achistikbenny USMLE Step 1 Forum 26 09-23-2010 02:43 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)