vnagubandi CK Exam Experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Experiences vnagubandi CK Exam Experience

Hi Guys,

Here is my experience.

Study period:4 months
Materials used
Kap lecture notes
Mtb 2 & 3
UWorld
Dr.Fischer's flash cards

Took my test last week on Oct 16th. It was not a bad test. The one thing guys you gotta watch for is T I M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had a time issue on usmle world but, on the test WHOA it was a big problem. I know i got atleast 5 questions wrong coz of time. Be perfect make sure everything is on your fingertips and practice questions. Doing uworld 2 times is ideal.

A funny thing happened on my test day. My CIN # was misprinted on the permit and i could not start the test at 7.30am but i had to contact, ecfmg,nbme,prometric and got thru the security checks like 20 times before i could officially start it at 9:10am LOL!

You read something and make sure it is drilled in your mind and nail it down,every single concept and i guarantee you, that you can come out with flying colors.

Also i would like to emphasize on Dr.Conrad Fischer's flash cards. They helped me tremendoulsy through out my prep and especially last minute reviewing. "The 200 most likely diagnosis" 200 physical findings,pharmacology, investigations etc...In my prep i would say these were the highest yield sources. As always uworld is gold.

I felt i was taking a Pediatrics "Board" test rather than the step 2 ck.It was filled all over with Peds.Questions. Make sure you review your peds also from step 1.

Don't waste your time on the abstracts and drug ads they are not hard but take a hell lot of time. Also, there were some questions from nbme's and from the usmle.org website practice materials. make sure you do these.

The other thing that helped me was explaning someone the material. I used a whiteboard and i used to teach all the material to some people and made it interesting and it worked for me.

The test is not hard guys! I know my post is highly disorganized but just wanted to emphasize some points i felt were most important. If you guys want to know more please feel free to reply.

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aj23 (10-23-2013), Divyajot (11-06-2013), Doctor Ali (10-23-2013), drsrb (10-23-2013), gigisoe (10-23-2013), heresprerna (11-11-2013), hunkpratikcool (11-03-2013), Janakpriya (11-01-2013), MedicalExaminer (10-23-2013), samren17 (10-23-2013), tamta (10-23-2013), teres88 (11-04-2013), zephyr18 (12-26-2013)



  #2  
Old 10-23-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 253
Threads: 35
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Congrats on being done..
can u plz tel me how did u use KLN?
do we annotate all of it in MTBs?
am just in the beginning of prep,done with step 1 last month.
plz tel me how to proceed
advice will be appreciated
thanksss
__________________
If God put a dream in your Heart, HE saw the potential in you to achieve that goal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vnagubandi (10-25-2013)
  #3  
Old 10-25-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Default

Hey Thank you!

Sorry for the late reply.

I actually used KLN a lot. I went to them often. I personally felt that KLN helped a little more than uworld in terms of conepts. So i read KLN at least 3 times. The first time i went through it in detail. Then i started uworld and mtb. I annotated imp. points of uworld on mtb. I used mtb 2 for medicine and 3 for everything else. Next i re read KLN for weaker areas. This helped me a lot. In fact the last 2 weeks before the test i kinda had a quick review of KLN medicine, hematology, nephrology,neuro etc... Ob gyn menstrual irregularities and urinary incontinence sections are beautifully given in KLN. I know everyone says write everything down from uworld it takes a lot of time. What i did was read the whole explanation and get the gist of it and write that down in mtb or seperate notes for uw. For some imp.questions (the extremely hi yield questions for uw) i actually did write down all the explanations. Also any point you feel you might forget and feels imp. to you please write it down.

Make your own flashcards they help a lot!! or you can find them at quizlet.com

Guys here are a couple other resources i forgot to add above:

Quizlet.com for flash cards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aj23 (11-01-2013), zephyr18 (12-26-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 10-25-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 47
Threads: 11
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default Pediatrics

Hi! best of luck with the result. thanks for the encourgaing words. What u mean do pediatrics from step 1 resource too? also was pathology heavily tested? psych is my weak area, any tips? lastly, did u give kaplan Qbank any try? or is world enough?

P.S. i am giving step 2 before step 1, any particulars i should keep in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vnagubandi (10-25-2013)
  #5  
Old 10-25-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Default Rgd.step 2

Hi Doc,

I have also given step 2 first. Now i am starting my prep for step 1. It is not that hard although we have to study harder from more sources. I did not try the kap q bank but i know someone who got a decent score just by using kap q bank and not uworld. I would recommend uworld though. As far as pediatrics is concerned make sure to go thru embryo in first aid for step 1, the glycogen storage diseases,lysosomal storage diseases,stuff like maple syrup urine disease and vitamin deficiencies. Stuff like that you know.

The other thing i forgot to mention was that pathophysiology is being tested. So knowing step 1 pathophysio would be highly highly helpful. There were almost 10-15 questions that i can vaguely remember where they asked about the pathophysiology and mechanisms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-25-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 47
Threads: 11
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Wow this is amazing, you might have an idea how discouraging everyone is of giving step 2 before one. Talking about couple of resources, did u use pathoma or goljin for patho? And should i even do uworld question of step 1 of pathology. Also i did behavior sciences video but i still isn't confident about it. Jeez they tested embryo in step 2. What has world come to. Any other weird stuff? Thanks a lot. Like reallyyyy a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagubandi View Post
Hi Doc,

I have also given step 2 first. Now i am starting my prep for step 1. It is not that hard although we have to study harder from more sources. I did not try the kap q bank but i know someone who got a decent score just by using kap q bank and not uworld. I would recommend uworld though. As far as pediatrics is concerned make sure to go thru embryo in first aid for step 1, the glycogen storage diseases,lysosomal storage diseases,stuff like maple syrup urine disease and vitamin deficiencies. Stuff like that you know.

The other thing i forgot to mention was that pathophysiology is being tested. So knowing step 1 pathophysio would be highly highly helpful. There were almost 10-15 questions that i can vaguely remember where they asked about the pathophysiology and mechanisms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-25-2013
hunkpratikcool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagubandi View Post
Hi Doc,

I have also given step 2 first. Now i am starting my prep for step 1. It is not that hard although we have to study harder from more sources. I did not try the kap q bank but i know someone who got a decent score just by using kap q bank and not uworld. I would recommend uworld though. As far as pediatrics is concerned make sure to go thru embryo in first aid for step 1, the glycogen storage diseases,lysosomal storage diseases,stuff like maple syrup urine disease and vitamin deficiencies. Stuff like that you know.

The other thing i forgot to mention was that pathophysiology is being tested. So knowing step 1 pathophysio would be highly highly helpful. There were almost 10-15 questions that i can vaguely remember where they asked about the pathophysiology and mechanisms.
hi vnagubandi,
Your thread was really heplful . thanx for sharing your experience. i would really like to know what exactly should i read for pathophysiology from step1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default plz help

hey, congrats

let me get this str8
i'm an IMG planning to have CK be4 1st step
no intention ( no time ) to do kaplan videos, So i'll go in this order

KLN 1st reading then i'll read the first add & add notes from kaplan , then i'll go throug the question ( can u make suggestion for whats comes 1st regarding Q banks ) ..
then add notes from my mistakes

then when i finish IM for example i'll go over it quickly from first aid ( the final source )

WHAT DO STEP 1 BASICs BOOKS CAN ADD TO ME ?!! I DIDNT GET IT SORRY

plz plz help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vnagubandi (11-01-2013)
  #9  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Default Regd.Pathophysio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkpratikcool View Post
hi vnagubandi,
Your thread was really heplful . thanx for sharing your experience. i would really like to know what exactly should i read for pathophysiology from step1?
Sorry Hunkpratikcool for the delayed reply. For step 1 pathophysio if you have time i would suggest quick read of pathoma+KLN Physio if time is a factor then reading the side notes of goljan (blue points at side of page on goljan rapid review) and quickly reading thru the summaries(JUST the summaries) of each chapter in kaplan physio for cardiology,respiratory,endocrine and the brush of step 1 first aid for vitamins and deficiencies,pharmacology, micro imp.points like catalase +ve organisms,gram +ve bact,gram -ve bact. and such things you know.

Also guys search for "Paul Bolin" on youtube. His videos are GOLDEN for step 2ck!!!!!
I don't know how long he is going to make them available for free but please avail these soon.Especially to save time watch the questions crash b/c he teaches us how to answer these questions and also covers topics good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hunkpratikcool (11-03-2013), zephyr18 (12-26-2013)
  #10  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

hey gluck

If you cud help me with my query..
1. are mtb 2 n 3 enugh for psy along with uw
2.how to go about for paeds? how long does it take?

ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 11-03-2013
hunkpratikcool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagubandi View Post
Sorry Hunkpratikcool for the delayed reply. For step 1 pathophysio if you have time i would suggest quick read of pathoma+KLN Physio if time is a factor then reading the side notes of goljan (blue points at side of page on goljan rapid review) and quickly reading thru the summaries(JUST the summaries) of each chapter in kaplan physio for cardiology,respiratory,endocrine and the brush of step 1 first aid for vitamins and deficiencies,pharmacology, micro imp.points like catalase +ve organisms,gram +ve bact,gram -ve bact. and such things you know.

Also guys search for "Paul Bolin" on youtube. His videos are GOLDEN for step 2ck!!!!!
I don't know how long he is going to make them available for free but please avail these soon.Especially to save time watch the questions crash b/c he teaches us how to answer these questions and also covers topics good.
Thank you very much vnagubandi. Step 1 material advice and paul bolin video for cardiac EKG stuff is really helpful. Stay blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 11-05-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Default regd.cardiac ekg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkpratikcool View Post
Thank you very much vnagubandi. Step 1 material advice and paul bolin video for cardiac EKG stuff is really helpful. Stay blessed.
Thank you, but regd.cardiac ekg there is an even better source on youtube. Search for drericstrong he explains ekg the best in
very simple terms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 11-05-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Default Regd.Psy and Peds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission 13 View Post
hey gluck

If you cud help me with my query..
1. are mtb 2 n 3 enugh for psy along with uw
2.how to go about for paeds? how long does it take?

ty
Hi,

For Psy your plan is good and that is sufficient. Some definitions though i advice referring to kaplan pscychiatry it takes less than half hour to cover all of them. (Definitions like, splitting,projection,reactive formation, and go over the types of personalities and schizophrenia chapter.) Even if you read kaplan psych it takes no more than 2hrs.If you don't mind reading those 2 hrs go ahead if not just cover the definitions.

For peds
That was my difficult part. I actually got some kaplan notes from a friend and combined that with mtb 2+3+uw. But i felt the flashcards from dr. fischer and also on quizlet helped me a little bit more? Also going over the biochem part of first aid and peds information like congenital heart disease and all that stuff helps greatly. I will get back to you if i can find any good resources for peds. I have not read kaplan for peds and did not watch the kaplan videos b/c they didn't help much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 11-05-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 155
Threads: 43
Thanked 67 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 77
Default Regd.step 1 material

Quote:
Originally Posted by docanasthesia View Post
hey, congrats

let me get this str8
i'm an IMG planning to have CK be4 1st step
no intention ( no time ) to do kaplan videos, So i'll go in this order

KLN 1st reading then i'll read the first add & add notes from kaplan , then i'll go throug the question ( can u make suggestion for whats comes 1st regarding Q banks ) ..
then add notes from my mistakes

then when i finish IM for example i'll go over it quickly from first aid ( the final source )

WHAT DO STEP 1 BASICs BOOKS CAN ADD TO ME ?!! I DIDNT GET IT SORRY

plz plz help
Dear doc,

Your plan is perfect just stick to it consistently. Also, regd. the step 1 material please go thru side notes of goljan AND Pathoma quickly and step 1 first aid for reviewing what you need to. I would not suggest anything more than that.

Goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 11-05-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagubandi View Post
Hi,

For Psy your plan is good and that is sufficient. Some definitions though i advice referring to kaplan pscychiatry it takes less than half hour to cover all of them. (Definitions like, splitting,projection,reactive formation, and go over the types of personalities and schizophrenia chapter.) Even if you read kaplan psych it takes no more than 2hrs.If you don't mind reading those 2 hrs go ahead if not just cover the definitions.

For peds
That was my difficult part. I actually got some kaplan notes from a friend and combined that with mtb 2+3+uw. But i felt the flashcards from dr. fischer and also on quizlet helped me a little bit more? Also going over the biochem part of first aid and peds information like congenital heart disease and all that stuff helps greatly. I will get back to you if i can find any good resources for peds. I have not read kaplan for peds and did not watch the kaplan videos b/c they didn't help much.
thanks a ton buddy.. God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exam experience Renaissance USMLE Step 1 Forum 15 08-18-2013 06:01 PM
Just came back from Exam center. Doc4step1 Exam experience. Read on! Doc4Step1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 27 03-22-2013 07:14 AM
Dec 3rd exam experience blade USMLE Step 1 Forum 19 01-11-2013 08:15 PM
My exam experience Dr.Sidd USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 0 06-21-2012 06:01 PM
My exam experience! susanbal USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 07-13-2011 06:36 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)