CK Subjects Needed Before CS - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 212
Threads: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 71
Question CK Subjects Needed Before CS

CK SUBJECTS REQUIRED BEFORE CS - sorry if the title was misleading i mistyped it.


hey...i am an img who does not have much clinical exposure. which i am working on and plan to take a 5 day course before i give my CS exam.

so i was wondering for the Differential Diagnosis part of the exam, are there any subjects of the Step 2 CK that would be recommended before i start my prep for CS --- so what i mean is like would a rough read of the kaplan books/videos before i start my CS prep be advisable,if so which subjects.
i assume IM but what about pedia,obs gyni and surgery?

I plan to do my proper CK studying after the CS exam.thanks.

PS - posted this in both sections cause i think my question could apply to both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-15-2013
Step-step's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 309
Threads: 19
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Reputation: 127
Default

I gave my CS exam with pretty much zero clinical experience under my belt, and before my CK (for which im studying right now).

In my opinion, First Aid covered everything very nicely when it came down to figuring out the right diagnosis and what works up to order...and also with the patient note.

I recommend doing the 5 day live course, which would be a very nice idea if you're really worried.

I think you'd be wasting a lot of time studying subjects of CK material and then giving CS. Either study CK completely and give CK exam or do the CS studying and perfect your physical exam and history taking skills and give the CS.

[This is just my opinion, others may have better suggestions for you though].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-16-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 212
Threads: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

hey Step step.

thank you for your reply.yeah im taking the Ximedus 5 day course and thats in Jan end,and my exam i plan to take about 2 weeks after the course.so i thought i would start serious studying for CS from Jan 1st week.
Thats why im just doing the Kaplan videos of IM and other subjects until december end like a 1st pass at it.

Should i consider to start studying from now for CS or have i given myself enough time?
your suggestions are more than welcome.thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 133
Threads: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Make sure you cover all the mini-cases in FA and practice most of the practice cases in FA before going to ximedus because the course is intensive and u won't have to study that much. They would prep u well in physical examination skills and the CIS component. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-17-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 212
Threads: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuralcrest View Post
Make sure you cover all the mini-cases in FA and practice most of the practice cases in FA before going to ximedus because the course is intensive and u won't have to study that much. They would prep u well in physical examination skills and the CIS component. Good luck.

hey neuralcrest.

Yeah i plan to do the CSE videos,FA and maybe the Neeraj notes before i go to the ximedus course.My question is - how much time would i take to do all that if i was working on it the whole day.would 20 days be enough to go through all that material? or would it take more time and should i plan for more time in my schedule?

Thanks and good luck to you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-17-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 133
Threads: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

i think 20 days is enough but give priority to to the mini and practice cases. Get a partner and start practicising asap! cos this is what this exam is all about. u would be given 3 patients on your first day in ximedus to gauge your clerking skills,empathy,examination skills etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-17-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 212
Threads: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuralcrest View Post
i think 20 days is enough but give priority to to the mini and practice cases. Get a partner and start practicising asap! cos this is what this exam is all about. u would be given 3 patients on your first day in ximedus to gauge your clerking skills,empathy,examination skills etc.

Will do man."Practicing" seems to be for CS like how "Read FA " for Step 1 was.
It seems like you have done the ximedus course.anything else i should know about the course before i go for it?
thank you for your input man.its really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-19-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 133
Threads: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

i think i have disclosed all that u need to know for now. yes,i was in Ximedus earlier in the year and it paid off. sorry for the late reply. goodluck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-19-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Hey there! Your post is perfectly fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, as both versions we all need. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
samren17 (02-01-2014)
  #10  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine45 View Post
Hey there! Your post is perfectly fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, as both versions we all need. Thanks.
very informative thread...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
samren17 (02-01-2014)
  #11  
Old 01-28-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 195
Threads: 28
Thanked 282 Times in 70 Posts
Reputation: 292
Default

Step 2 CS is more about showing empathy, communication skills, information sharing skills since most of these are the subcomponents of CIS (communication and interpersonal skills). This component is the most strictly scored with a very narrow margin of error, hence the need to work on it more.

As far as clinical knowledge is concerned they will judge you on history taking skills and patient note which are part of another component called ICE (integrated clinical encounter). You have to pass all three components including the SEP (Spoken English Proficiency).

Usually students including IMGs don't have problems in ICE. When I took the exam I hadn't taken my step 1 or CK yet the exam was manageable with FA, 3 extra cases in neeraj notes and Practice partner.

Get oriented to the exam first. This includes learning examinations with specific commands(you can watch random videos on examination), counseling and mnemonic for history. Then jump to practice cases and start practicing with a partner. Do it thrice, the third time also practicing patient note.

Once you are done read over minicases once or twice. As you will have to write DDs in correct order of likelihood and short with points on history and exam( won't have many findings since patients are simulated).

3 weeks enough for all this. I studied part time during my electives and managed in 5 weeks. Did not take any course so can't comment on that.

That's all I can think of rite now, hope that helps and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samren17 View Post
CK SUBJECTS REQUIRED BEFORE CS - sorry if the title was misleading i mistyped it.


hey...i am an img who does not have much clinical exposure. which i am working on and plan to take a 5 day course before i give my CS exam.

so i was wondering for the Differential Diagnosis part of the exam, are there any subjects of the Step 2 CK that would be recommended before i start my prep for CS --- so what i mean is like would a rough read of the kaplan books/videos before i start my CS prep be advisable,if so which subjects.
i assume IM but what about pedia,obs gyni and surgery?

I plan to do my proper CK studying after the CS exam.thanks.

PS - posted this in both sections cause i think my question could apply to both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
samren17 (02-01-2014)
  #12  
Old 02-01-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 212
Threads: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine45 View Post
very informative thread...

Hey christine45,thank you.yes i have found out a lot because of the replies above.im glad you liked the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 02-01-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 212
Threads: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 71
Default hey

Hey Dr.Sidd

thanks for your detailed explanation.it is very helpful.i am trying to run through a ck book (only H&P/diagnoses and diagnostic tests) before i start studying with a study partner,im hoping i can be done with this exam in 4-5 weeks time.
thanks and good luck to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sidd View Post
Step 2 CS is more about showing empathy, communication skills, information sharing skills since most of these are the subcomponents of CIS (communication and interpersonal skills). This component is the most strictly scored with a very narrow margin of error, hence the need to work on it more.

As far as clinical knowledge is concerned they will judge you on history taking skills and patient note which are part of another component called ICE (integrated clinical encounter). You have to pass all three components including the SEP (Spoken English Proficiency).

Usually students including IMGs don't have problems in ICE. When I took the exam I hadn't taken my step 1 or CK yet the exam was manageable with FA, 3 extra cases in neeraj notes and Practice partner.

Get oriented to the exam first. This includes learning examinations with specific commands(you can watch random videos on examination), counseling and mnemonic for history. Then jump to practice cases and start practicing with a partner. Do it thrice, the third time also practicing patient note.

Once you are done read over minicases once or twice. As you will have to write DDs in correct order of likelihood and short with points on history and exam( won't have many findings since patients are simulated).

3 weeks enough for all this. I studied part time during my electives and managed in 5 weeks. Did not take any course so can't comment on that.

That's all I can think of rite now, hope that helps and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Categorization of subjects mbetter95 USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 11-01-2013 04:22 AM
Is First Aid enough for these subjects? Lara USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 10-03-2012 12:59 PM
Subjects from KLN and MTB? patonow USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 06-12-2012 09:05 AM
What about doing 5 subjects? hope490 USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 05-27-2012 05:27 AM
BRS for all subjects? eesfee USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 05-21-2011 03:52 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)