Got my 251/99 results - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Smile Got my 251/99 results

I got my results and I'm soooo happy

thanx to all u guys and this great forum for guiding me and supporting me during my prep

I'm an IMG graduated in 2009
Started with step 2CK before step 1
prep time: 5 months (3.5 months of serious prep)
materials: kaplan vids and notes / FA / Goljan audio
Qbanks: UW covered twice tutor un-timed with extensive note taking. 76% total
NBME form 4 : 239. 6 weeks before my exam
NBME form 2 : 244. 3 weeks before my exam
UWSA : 260 one week before exam

I'll be happy to answer any of your questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr_no3man (04-03-2011), drarnab (04-04-2011), Haisook (04-03-2011), Mondoshawan (04-03-2011), nsesereso (04-03-2011), sinsinati (04-03-2011), tkourkou (04-03-2011), tmsid (04-03-2011), USMLE-Syndrome (04-03-2011)



  #2  
Old 04-03-2011
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 610 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 630
Default

Congratulations carisma! That's a great score!

My exam is very soon, and I wonder if you found the level of difficulty of NBME 4 similar to that of the exam? I took it yesterday, and the questions seemed shorter and more straightforward than in other qbanks.

In other words, should I trust NBME 4 in predicting my score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 9
Threads: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Hi...Congrats on your great score...Do you think kaplan videos are really worth it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsur View Post
Hi...Congrats on your great score...Do you think kaplan videos are really worth it??
thaaanx

Medicine vids are totally worth it ( i spent most of my time on these vids)
obstetrics vids were great for me cuz it was my weakness point
gyne ---> just then notes
surgery i went over Trauma vids only.. but i almost memorized the vignettes cuz my cousin was a surgery fanatic !!! so i had put him in charge of asking me the questions and i gave him the answer so i went over them couple of times this way
pediatrics vids r lengthy and boring so i only went thru kaplan notes.
behavioural sciences ---> i relied on the book and revised concepts which i couldn't understand from step 1 behav. vids
psychiatry are GREAT i went thru them all once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Wutmhone (04-03-2011)
  #5  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
Congratulations carisma! That's a great score!

My exam is very soon, and I wonder if you found the level of difficulty of NBME 4 similar to that of the exam? I took it yesterday, and the questions seemed shorter and more straightforward than in other qbanks.

In other words, should I trust NBME 4 in predicting my score?
the actual exam Qs are longer the NBME's and they *seem* more diffcult
but both Qs r rolling around the same orbit.

so i think it depends on how well u're prepared. i mean if u take the exam right after NBME form *no revision in between* u'll get pretty much the same result
but if u revise your weak areas as exposed by the NBME performance chart every week will boost ur score higher ( max 2 - 4 weeks)
i did NBME-4 about 6 weeks prior to my exam and i got 239
so 6 weeks of prep gave me a boost of 12 extra points
for u if u do a more specific and concentrated revision of weak areas your boost can be more than this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Haisook (04-03-2011), USMLE-Syndrome (04-03-2011)
  #6  
Old 04-03-2011
kemoo's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 161
Thanked 102 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 116
Default

congratulation ..... amazing score

i want to ask you about first aid ck did you find it useful ??

and what about goljan audio??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE-Syndrome's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,203
Threads: 180
Thanked 1,251 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 1265
Default

congratulation for ur high score
well for me read kaplan notes for 3 months today start uw online random timed and i did 3block and 1st block my score is 50 %and the other is 40 % and 3rd one 50 % is there something wrong with me or by time iwill increase my score and iam writing my notes icant complete per day only one block with explanation reading idid not return to my kaplan notes when read explanation because no time
how did u approach uw ???????? (how many block per day and ur 1st score in blocks how was ????
iknow iam asking alooooooooot because iam so worried from my bad 1st scores
my exam will be in 23 may
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-03-2011
tkourkou's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 220
Threads: 35
Thanked 283 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 293
Default

Wow! That's an awesome score! Congrats! I had a 251 prediction 4 weeks ago, I hope I will get as high as you went! I wish you all the best for step 1! Don't forget to answer to all the polls about step2 since you are done with it!
__________________
No one has ever been killed from work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 167
Threads: 8
Thanked 134 Times in 47 Posts
Reputation: 144
Default hey

hey congrats dude
did u do Kaplan q bank??
and how much 1aid is useful in 2 CK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Hey Carisma!

ur score is commendable!

can u give anatomy study plan plz?? (Kaplan Vs. HY)
Where did u study neuro-anat from???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss patho View Post
congratulation for ur high score
well for me read kaplan notes for 3 months today start uw online random timed and i did 3block and 1st block my score is 50 %and the other is 40 % and 3rd one 50 % is there something wrong with me or by time iwill increase my score and iam writing my notes icant complete per day only one block with explanation reading idid not return to my kaplan notes when read explanation because no time
how did u approach uw ???????? (how many block per day and ur 1st score in blocks how was ????
iknow iam asking alooooooooot because iam so worried from my bad 1st scores
my exam will be in 23 may
thanx my friend
so you have 6 weeks to prepare! dont panic time is still on your side. first thing you need to do is to analyse the way you answer the question cuz its effect is significant..here's some tips i adopted for answering the question
ONE : Calm down and believe in yourself... if u believe that u can't answer that question. you will never answer that question. so positive thinking is KEY

TWO : read the last line of the question to get an idea about wut they want from you. this will make your life easier. for example knowing that they want the diagnosis will make u focus on the signs and key symptoms instead of being lost in all the non-sense stuffed within the stem of the Q.

THREE : try to come up with ur own answer before looking at choices. there's high chance that this will be the correct one.

FOUR : exclude the other choices quickly. this can often be life-saving especially if u're lost and can't get the correct answer.

these steps can seem time-consuming but believe me practice makes miracles
once u get used to them u'll be fine
good luck!l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
USMLE-Syndrome (04-03-2011)
  #12  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemoo1985 View Post
congratulation ..... amazing score

i want to ask you about first aid ck did you find it useful ??

and what about goljan audio??
First aid is good for rapid review. it refreshes ur memory but it doesn't add any new facts to your brain!! so i don't recommend to rely solely on it.
Goljan audios r good in revising system by system. i integrated them to my daily study. in the early morning i listen to them according to the system i'm revising in order to link the facts to the stuff i'm reading in medicine and pediatrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkourkou View Post
Wow! That's an awesome score! Congrats! I had a 251 prediction 4 weeks ago, I hope I will get as high as you went! I wish you all the best for step 1! Don't forget to answer to all the polls about step2 since you are done with it!
great i only had 244 prediction 4 weeks before exam.
so i guess you'll beat my score
the most important thing is to never stop preparing! every day can make a difference.. wish u all the good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardik221186 View Post
hey congrats dude
did u do Kaplan q bank??
and how much 1aid is useful in 2 CK?
thanx buddy
i only used UW as the online Qbank.
but i solved couple of blocks in kaplan's qbook.. their explanations are excellent but the question r little different from actual exam

first aid is good for revising facts i don't think its good as an independent source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Hey Carisma!

ur score is commendable!

can u give anatomy study plan plz?? (Kaplan Vs. HY)
Where did u study neuro-anat from???
Hi there Chow and thx i did my step2CK before step 1 so im still preparing for my step 1 exam> i'm still as confused as u r!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 14
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default CK before 1

Hi Carisma...congrats on such a fantastic score

I am an IMG thinking of taking CK before step 1..Do you consider any need of reading any sections of step 1 subjects before appearing for step 2..

Thanks and gulluc for step 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 9
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default Congrats!!

Hi!
Thats great!! cngrats
I'm also doing step 2ck before step1.
Gonna use same plan as yours :-)
Do you think having the latest edition of kaplan books is important please?
I have the 2008-09 edition and I'll be taking my exam this year.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-03-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 124
Threads: 45
Thanked 68 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 78
Default

hey carisma!!

congrats!!! what a score..very well done.

i wanted to know if there were any direct questions frm the nbme??
and also did u do the 150 practice questions? how much did u score in that.

thanks for all the input.much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-04-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 198 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 208
Default

great score carisma!

did you find that FA and Goljan were helpful for your exam or do you suggest that only Kaplan is sufficient ?

i will read MTB for CK2 also. (and do UW) but i am worried if i should use other sources for the exam..

best of luck for Step1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 04-04-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default hi

what did u study for pathology , r kaplan enough??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 04-04-2011
1TA2B's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 475
Threads: 39
Thanked 351 Times in 169 Posts
Reputation: 374
Default wow!

WOW! Excellent score!

I wish you all the best with your remaining exams and career.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisma_200x View Post
I got my results and I'm soooo happy

thanx to all u guys and this great forum for guiding me and supporting me during my prep

I'm an IMG graduated in 2009
Started with step 2CK before step 1
prep time: 5 months (3.5 months of serious prep)
materials: kaplan vids and notes / FA / Goljan audio
Qbanks: UW covered twice tutor un-timed with extensive note taking. 76% total
NBME form 4 : 239. 6 weeks before my exam
NBME form 2 : 244. 3 weeks before my exam
UWSA : 260 one week before exam

I'll be happy to answer any of your questions
__________________
Skill+Hardwork+Preparation=Success
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carisma_200x (04-04-2011)
  #22  
Old 04-04-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshitij View Post
Hi Carisma...congrats on such a fantastic score

I am an IMG thinking of taking CK before step 1..Do you consider any need of reading any sections of step 1 subjects before appearing for step 2..

Thanks and gulluc for step 1
Hi Kshitij and thanx
i was having hard time regarding patho and basic statistic concepts
those are the ones i had to revise from step 1
patho from goljan audio
statistics kaplan vids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 04-04-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodesh View Post
Hi!
Thats great!! cngrats
I'm also doing step 2ck before step1.
Gonna use same plan as yours :-)
Do you think having the latest edition of kaplan books is important please?
I have the 2008-09 edition and I'll be taking my exam this year.
Thank you
i used the same 2008-09 edition
they're much better than the prev. editions i mean more comprehensive
but i didn't see newer edition *i don't know if they exist :P*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 04-04-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine View Post
hey carisma!!

congrats!!! what a score..very well done.

i wanted to know if there were any direct questions frm the nbme??
and also did u do the 150 practice questions? how much did u score in that.

thanks for all the input.much appreciated.
thanx medicine
Direct questions? i dont think so.
i think that NBME forms can predict your weaknesses and ur performance pretty precisely!!
but they bear NO resemblance to the actual exam in both length and structure
so i used them to assess my level of preparation in every discipline and use that as a powerful tool to consolidate my knowledge there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-04-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
great score carisma!

did you find that FA and Goljan were helpful for your exam or do you suggest that only Kaplan is sufficient ?

i will read MTB for CK2 also. (and do UW) but i am worried if i should use other sources for the exam..

best of luck for Step1
Thanx drarnab!
FA is for refreshing.. once in a while i go thru certain topics which i forget alot.
kaplan pretty much covers everything especially 08-09 edition
Goljan were helpful to me cuz i'm bad in pathology. but if your knowledge in pathology is good guess u should skip them and invest more time in clinical stuff
i don't know wut is MTB :S i had never seen those !
wish u all good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-05-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 9
Threads: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisma_200x View Post
thaaanx

Medicine vids are totally worth it ( i spent most of my time on these vids)
obstetrics vids were great for me cuz it was my weakness point
gyne ---> just then notes
surgery i went over Trauma vids only.. but i almost memorized the vignettes cuz my cousin was a surgery fanatic !!! so i had put him in charge of asking me the questions and i gave him the answer so i went over them couple of times this way
pediatrics vids r lengthy and boring so i only went thru kaplan notes.
behavioural sciences ---> i relied on the book and revised concepts which i couldn't understand from step 1 behav. vids
psychiatry are GREAT i went thru them all once.


Thanks a lot !!!! This is really useful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 04-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 98
Threads: 41
Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default congratz and question

First of all well deserved , i need ur advice plz
i think i am using a similar strategy i am using FA as a core book , kaplans and mtb as extras when needed , i am doing UW cumulative so far 61 % i am in my second month of studying .
How much is UW difficulty compared to the real exam , and how much are NMBEs compared to the exam , you have said they are more lengthy but are the information tested trickier or is it just the length?
May i ask plz how much u were scoring first round UW ? is 76 % second round?
Thank a lot and have a great luck in your future career

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisma_200x View Post
the actual exam Qs are longer the NBME's and they *seem* more diffcult
but both Qs r rolling around the same orbit.

so i think it depends on how well u're prepared. i mean if u take the exam right after NBME form *no revision in between* u'll get pretty much the same result
but if u revise your weak areas as exposed by the NBME performance chart every week will boost ur score higher ( max 2 - 4 weeks)
i did NBME-4 about 6 weeks prior to my exam and i got 239
so 6 weeks of prep gave me a boost of 12 extra points
for u if u do a more specific and concentrated revision of weak areas your boost can be more than this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 04-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default

Hi there Futureharvard and i hope u ace this exam as well!

UW are more difficult than the actual exam (and i guess they should be)
because the point is to grasp as much concepts within the question as possible
when using UW and qbanks or qbooks in general. but in the actual exam; the question is usually testing one concept at a time.
so my goal was to equip myself with as much concepts as possible and try to put them to use by practicing questions. that increased my analytic ability=ability to connect facts in a way that makes sense. and my speed as well.
NBME are bit trickier in order to test if you really understand that certain area. and thats why they're performance data analysis is very useful.

good luck =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Exam-Results, Step-2-CK-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When do we get the results Peewee USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 09-05-2014 11:16 AM
October 30th, 2010; Step 1 Exam Results Thread arunjose USMLE Step 1 Forum 29 06-11-2011 09:29 PM
Got my CS Results annashah USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 15 04-09-2011 05:37 PM
results not out?? dronesix USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 09-22-2010 01:20 AM
Got my results Farqad USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 12-19-2009 07:06 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)