Step 2 CK preparation help! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Arrow Step 2 CK preparation help!

Hello all,

I am starting on with my Step 2 CK. I was looking around at different forums for the study materials and the schedule/method of study, but failed to see a coherent plan anywhere.

First, I understand that people study differently and have their own plans and ways of dealing with cramming and conceptualizing things. So, I will try to keep my questions generic so they fit everyone.

1. I understand that Kaplan lectures and notes are important and MOST people end up doing them. How long should you take/people usually take to finish them?

2. Are all topics in the lectures and notes to be done from the Kaplan book itself? Should I skip some chapters altogether and do from other books or is it a good idea to finish ALL OF them at least once?

3. Next there is MTB. I heard that MTB 2 is essential without a doubt, but it does not effectively cover all topics. Will the combination of MTB 2 and Kaplan lectures + notes suffice or do we need MTB 2 and 3?

4. This one is an important one for me. I can't get my head around it. For step 1, the Kaplan notes were for concepts and first read, but once I picked up First Aid, that became my BASE book and i took notes in them. I consulted the Kaplan books only if I needed to revise a whole topic or a bigger concept. I didn't even touch the Kaplan books in the last month of study. Is this how I should treat Step2 Kaplan lectures and notes and MTB - Do Kaplan completely and then MTB, making it the base book I always come back to. Will that work?

5. Kaplan QBank is supposedly good for Step 2 and is much better than Step 1. What is everyone's opinion? I know UW is really important. Should I make sure i finish Kaplan QBank or should I completely ignore it, do UW as many times and finish all NBMEs?

6. Is it possible to take notes from the Kaplan lectures directly in MTB and skip Kaplan books altogether? that will save time for me!! And since MTB will be my BASE book for all subjects, thats all I will have to read till the end!

7. Finally, are there specific topics to be done from MTB 3 over and above MTB 2?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sonu.agarwall (10-23-2011), tootsie (12-30-2011), usbound (09-02-2013)



  #2  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
1. I understand that Kaplan lectures and notes are important and MOST people end up doing them. How long should you take/people usually take to finish them?
It's different from student to another. This poll may help you
Time needed for IMGs to prepare for Step 2 CK

-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011), misha_america (02-03-2013)
  #3  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
2. Are all topics in the lectures and notes to be done from the Kaplan book itself? Should I skip some chapters altogether and do from other books or is it a good idea to finish ALL OF them at least once?
Most of the students depend on Kaplan Lecture Notes only, no other books needed.
-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #4  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
3. Next there is MTB. I heard that MTB 2 is essential without a doubt, but it does not effectively cover all topics. Will the combination of MTB 2 and Kaplan lectures + notes suffice or do we need MTB 2 and 3?
MTB-CK + Kaplan sounds a good plan. You don't need MTB-3
For more info see here
Which Master the Boards book for CK Prep?

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #5  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
4. This one is an important one for me. I can't get my head around it. For step 1, the Kaplan notes were for concepts and first read, but once I picked up First Aid, that became my BASE book and i took notes in them. I consulted the Kaplan books only if I needed to revise a whole topic or a bigger concept. I didn't even touch the Kaplan books in the last month of study. Is this how I should treat Step2 Kaplan lectures and notes and MTB - Do Kaplan completely and then MTB, making it the base book I always come back to. Will that work?
Yes, that will work. Great plan

-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #6  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
5. Kaplan QBank is supposedly good for Step 2 and is much better than Step 1. What is everyone's opinion? I know UW is really important. Should I make sure i finish Kaplan QBank or should I completely ignore it, do UW as many times and finish all NBMEs?
Kaplan and UW are both needed.
See here
What is the best USMLE step 2 CK online Qbank?

-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #7  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
6. Is it possible to take notes from the Kaplan lectures directly in MTB and skip Kaplan books altogether? that will save time for me!! And since MTB will be my BASE book for all subjects, thats all I will have to read till the end!
Sounds a great plan for me.

-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #8  
Old 05-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
7. Finally, are there specific topics to be done from MTB 3 over and above MTB 2?
Yes, there are. But they are not CK specific topics, they are Step 3 specific topics and so you don't need to worry about it.

-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #9  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
Sounds a great plan for me.

-
-

@abeworld

do you mean giving kaplan lectures a read and then add all points to MTB , i don't understand how can we takes notes without giving a good reading,,,,or is there a way to do it ,,i am also confused on how to start,have to do it in just 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 49
Threads: 6
Thanked 64 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 74
Default

OK..let me get this straight..there is one thing I am sure about...FA, while it is a must for step1, is a definite no no for step 2 CK..don't waste ur time on it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Post Final plan

@ Sabio,

Thanks a lot buddy! Tremendous help! So, here's what my planning looks like based on my personal capabilities and your suggestions:

I will listen to Kaplan lectures and take notes in MTB 2. I understand that I might have to add a lot to MTB, but writing down stuff helps me remember better AND in the end I will have only one book (MTB) to come back to for revision. If a topic needs further exploration, I will look into Kaplan lecture notes. I have been told that Pediatrics, ObGyn and Surgery are lacking in MTB - so I will take notes in a separate notebook for that (like I said: writing helps me a lot). And for Epidemio/Ethics I will use KLN Step 1 book and 100 cases by Conrad Fischer, as suggested. I will also do Kaplan QBook questions after each topic.

I plan to take 6 weeks for this.

This will be followed by Kaplan QBank for 15 days and then USMLEWorld for 6-7 weeks (For Step 1 it took me 6-7 weeks for finishing the 2000+ questions and a review of all wrong answers, so I am guessing it should be the same here). I will keep going back to MTB for any question I get wrong. Also one or two NBME tests over the weekends 4 and 2 weeks before the exam date.

So, that makes a total of 4 (and a half) months with 15 days margin for unprecedented delays, further revision of weak areas, etc. making it a total of 18-20 weeks (5 months) preparation.

What do you guys think? Will this be enough/thorough? I am aiming for a high score (99 if possible). Any questions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Also, I hope this helps people just starting off with their CK preparation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
autumn (11-02-2011), avbert (05-25-2011), DrSK (05-14-2013), mitsua (04-30-2012), tootsie (12-30-2011)
  #12  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
@abeworld

do you mean giving kaplan lectures a read and then add all points to MTB , i don't understand how can we takes notes without giving a good reading,,,,or is there a way to do it ,,i am also confused on how to start,have to do it in just 4 months.



I m possible,

Thanks for the post. What I plan to do is, start the Kaplan lecture (I DON'T MEAN THE KAPLAN LECTURE NOTES, I MEAN LISTENING TO THE ACTUAL LECTURES) and follow the lecture with MTB2, not lecture notes. Whatever is not mentioned in MTB (extra), I will jot down it in MTB itself. I am planning to not open the Kaplan lecture notes for IM at all! Only on SOS basis! I know I will have to write down a lot (at times) into MTB but that's okay since eventually I will have ONE book (MTB) I can always come back to in doubt and not worry about multiple sources.

The reason I am doing this is because I fail to see how to combine Kaplan lecture notes and MTB. They are in a very different format and doing one after would only confuse me - as there will be two separate ways I would have studied each topic. Of course I plan to explore topics more thoroughly through the Kaplan lecture notes if required. For Surgery, ObGyn, Epidemio, pediatrics, see my last post which outlines my study plan.

I hope my answer was clear and it helps you understand my thinking process a bit. Let me know how you feel about it. And what would you do differently?

Last edited by abeworld; 05-25-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (12-30-2011)
  #13  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunique View Post
ok..let me get this straight..there is onething iam sure about...FA,while it is a must for step1,is a definite no no for step 2 CK..dont waste ur time on it!!

Thanks theunique. I have received this info from multiple sources and so, I have decided to not include FA in my preparation at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 05-25-2011
mle guy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 264
Threads: 16
Thanked 349 Times in 165 Posts
Reputation: 359
Correct Answer MTB2 + some MTB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
I m possible,

Thanks for the post. What I plan to do is, start the Kaplan lecture (I DON'T MEAN THE KAPLAN LECTURE NOTES, I MEAN LISTENING TO THE ACTUAL LECTURES) and whatever is not mentioned in MTB (extra), I will jot down in MTB. I am planning to not open the Kaplan lecture notes at all! Only on SOS basis! I know I will have to write down a lot (at times) into MTB but that's okay since eventually I will have ONE book (MTB) I can always come back to and not worry about MTB plus Kaplan lecture notes.

The reason I am doing this is because I fail to see how to combine Kaplan lecture notes and MTB. They are in a very different format and doing one after would only confuse me as there will be two separate ways I would have studied each topic. Of course I plan to explore topics more thoroughly through the Kaplan lecture notes if required. For Surgery, ObGyn, Epidemio, pediatrics, see my last post which outlines my study plan.

I hope my answer was clear and it helps you understand my thinking process a bit. Let me know how you feel about it. And what would you do differently?
Man your plan is excellent. Do MTB2 really well. Its the best review book.
It is slightly deficient in peds, obs/gyn and surgery. For that you can use MTB3. You can jot down the points on MTB3 for those subjects and the rest on MTB2. I did the same, and its going fine AH.
About the kaplan lectures, I didn't see any of the videos. I just felt that I could read a lot more in that time. But it depends on person to person. People say they are very good. I read Kaplan notes really quickly at the start, but I guess it doesn't matter if you read them or not because MTB2 retains well and kaplan notes don't.
One thing that you have to read from Kaplan notes is the Surgery trauma section. Its very well written there. The rest of surgery you don't need much, MTB3 would cover it.
And you have to do the biostats/epi section as well. Its almost the same in Kaplan step1 and step2 notes.
Best of luck with your prep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
autumn (11-02-2011), benzo (06-03-2011), fat1iscool (05-15-2013), tootsie (12-30-2011)
  #15  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle guy View Post
Man your plan is excellent. Do MTB2 really well. Its the best review book.
It is slightly deficient in peds, obs/gyn and surgery. For that you can use MTB3. You can jot down the points on MTB3 for those subjects and the rest on MTB2. I did the same, and its going fine AH.
About the kaplan lectures, I didn't see any of the videos. I just felt that I could read a lot more in that time. But it depends on person to person. People say they are very good. I read Kaplan notes really quickly at the start, but I guess it doesn't matter if you read them or not because MTB2 retains well and kaplan notes don't.
One thing that you have to read from Kaplan notes is the Surgery trauma section. Its very well written there. The rest of surgery you don't need much, MTB3 would cover it.
And you have to do the biostats/epi section as well. Its almost the same in Kaplan step1 and step2 notes.
Best of luck with your prep!


Aah, so good to hear about your take on this. You are right, with only the notes and no lectures, you might be able to fly through the first Kaplan read pretty fast. Although, like you said, I am a little hesitant on not doing Kaplan lectures AT ALL and just doing the books. Here are my concerns:

1. For me, it's easier to go through a lecture than to sit and read the complete Kaplan books.

2. Once you start listening to lectures, you can be sure how much time it will take and plan accordingly. The duration of the video = duration of study. With books I might lax and it might be difficult to predict.

3. Majority of people that I have heard of, on all boards, mention how good Conrad is with the lectures and makes it funny and interesting to remember.

Thanks again for the surgery trauma section tip. I have already marked it as important in my surgery book


Also, the jury seems to be out on whether Kaplan L+N are better than MTB3 for Surg/ObGyn/Peds. Since I have all the Kaplan lectures, I will probably stick to reading them until there is a clear advantage of MTB3 that someone mentions on this board. (Saves money!)

Last edited by abeworld; 05-25-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (12-30-2011), usmledee (05-30-2011)



  #16  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Videos tip

one quick tip, from my experience:

I have seen pretty much almost all the videos and although they are helpful and nice to watch they wonŽt tell you as much information as the notes. Some lack important aspects that you will find in the notes or the Qbank. If you donŽt have much time for your prep consider skipping OBSGYN, SURGERY and possibly PSYQ videos, as they say pretty much the same as in the notes without helping that much. IM videos from Conrad and Faselis are, in my opinion, better, giving you a good grasp in their subjects.

Also youŽll find yourself you might have to pause the videos now and then as Conrad sometimes is super fast talking and sending information to "video-land". So pace yourself accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (12-30-2011)
  #17  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunique View Post
OK..let me get this straight..there is one thing I am sure about...FA, while it is a must for step1, is a definite no no for step 2 CK..don't waste ur time on it!!
That has been supported by this poll
Is First Aid Integral Part of CK Prep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
@ Sabio,

Thanks a lot buddy! Tremendous help! So, here's what my planning looks like based on my personal capabilities and your suggestions:

I will listen to Kaplan lectures and take notes in MTB 2. I understand that I might have to add a lot to MTB, but writing down stuff helps me remember better AND in the end I will have only one book (MTB) to come back to for revision. If a topic needs further exploration, I will look into Kaplan lecture notes. I have been told that Pediatrics, ObGyn and Surgery are lacking in MTB - so I will take notes in a separate notebook for that (like I said: writing helps me a lot). And for Epidemio/Ethics I will use KLN Step 1 book and 100 cases by Conrad Fischer, as suggested. I will also do Kaplan QBook questions after each topic.

I plan to take 6 weeks for this.

This will be followed by Kaplan QBank for 15 days and then USMLEWorld for 6-7 weeks (For Step 1 it took me 6-7 weeks for finishing the 2000+ questions and a review of all wrong answers, so I am guessing it should be the same here). I will keep going back to MTB for any question I get wrong. Also one or two NBME tests over the weekends 4 and 2 weeks before the exam date.

So, that makes a total of 4 (and a half) months with 15 days margin for unprecedented delays, further revision of weak areas, etc. making it a total of 18-20 weeks (5 months) preparation.

What do you guys think? Will this be enough/thorough? I am aiming for a high score (99 if possible). Any questions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Also, I hope this helps people just starting off with their CK preparation.
Amazing plan! I will copy this post the recommended CK Threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #19  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 49
Threads: 6
Thanked 64 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 74
Default Another suggestion!!

I think that doing Kaplan qbank as well as UW qbank can take hell a lot of time...especially ..when u consider that u need to go through UW at least twice to take maximum benefit..I would also suggest that u should do UW Q bank twice plus do the Kaplan Qbook..it will give u the taste of kaplan Qbank as well, as it has almost 1000 good quality questions fully explained, and in fact it even has some topics not covered by UW..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (12-30-2011)
  #20  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default Goljan audio

Hi abeworld,

That sounds like a very well thought out plan! I was wondering if you are planning on listening to Goljan CK audio?

Thanks again for sharing you plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeworld (05-25-2011)
  #21  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuesta View Post
one quick tip, from my experience:

I have seen pretty much almost all the videos and although they are helpful and nice to watch they wonŽt tell you as much information as the notes. Some lack important aspects that you will find in the notes or the Qbank. If you donŽt have much time for your prep consider skipping OBSGYN, SURGERY and possibly PSYQ videos, as they say pretty much the same as in the notes without helping that much. IM videos from Conrad and Faselis are, in my opinion, better, giving you a good grasp in their subjects.

Also youŽll find yourself you might have to pause the videos now and then as Conrad sometimes is super fast talking and sending information to "video-land". So pace yourself accordingly.

acuesta, thanks for the tips! I am planning to make a decision on listening to Surg/ObGyn, etc. lectures when the times comes. I will gauge my progress and then proceed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
Amazing plan! I will copy this post the recommended CK Threads

Yup, I agree. I made this plan with everyone's consensus. It will be great if a lot of people can see it and critique it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avbert View Post
Hi abeworld,

That sounds like a very well thought out plan! I was wondering if you are planning on listening to Goljan CK audio?

Thanks again for sharing you plan!


You are welcome Avbert (is this a reference to Dilbert by any chance?). Anyway, I do have Goljan audios, but I don't plan to spend too much time on it. I did not see them recommended anywhere too highly. I have loaded them on my iPod and will listen to them on my way and back from work. I must also warn you that the quality of those lectures is pretty horrible. At least the ones that seem to be popular on forums.

I think the questions are gonna be the key to solving this exam too - just like Step 1. And so, after 6 weeks of quick read of theory, I plan to spend most, if not all, time to doing UW - with as many revisions as I can fit in there.

I think I am pretty sure I am gonna closely follow the schedule I have mentioned in the post above. Let me know how you feel and if there is room for improvement.... suggestions always welcome!

Last edited by abeworld; 05-25-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 05-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Star Ste 2 CK Plan and how to reduce total study time

Essentially, the following is the sequence of study that I have prepared based on numerous forums and tips all around. I believe it should suit most, if not all (+/- 2SD ):

1. Internal Medicine Kaplan video lectures with MTB 2 (note all the extra stuff in the book itself)
2. Internal medicine questions from Kaplan QBook
3. Surgery, ObGyn, Pediatrics Kaplan video lectures with Kaplan books
4. Surgery, ObGyn, Pediatrics Kaplan Qbook questions.
5. Step 1 Behavioral Science Kaplan Book
6. 100 Ethics cases by Conrad Fischer book
7. Psych, Epidemio, Ethics Questions from Kaplan QBook
8. Kaplan QBank - as many questions as possible in 15 days
9. USMLEWorld QBank - All questions and at least 1 revision, with review of wrong answers
10. MTB 2 and Kaplan books revision at least once on two random weekends where you want to take a break from UW questions.
11. 2 NBME Tests - 4 and 2 weeks before the exam.

Steps 1-7 in 6 weeks (make a schedule), steps 8-11 for the rest 12-14 weeks for a total of 20 weeks (5 months)

OPTIONS: It feels like it is equally fine to do MTB 3 instead of Kaplan video lectures and books for surg, obgyn, peds in #3. Whatever feels better to you.


Hope this helps!



I have also realized that the above schedule works for 5 months study. If you want to reduce your total study time -

1. Remove 15 days of Kaplan QBank - Although better than Step 1 Kaplan QBank, it appears that UW is more than enough and perhaps should be revised as much as possible.

2. In step #3 above, don't listen to lectures. Although helpful, they are very similar to the Kaplan books text. Give the books a quick read and skip the video lectures

3. #10 and #11 are certainly optional as you will be going back to these books as you do the UW questions.

This should bring your study time from 5 months (in the schedule above) to around 4 months (MINIMUM time you should give to this exam to score well, as suggested by all)


Please comment and critique!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
autumn (11-02-2011), avbert (05-26-2011), DrSK (05-14-2013), mle guy (05-26-2011), sonu.agarwall (10-23-2011), tootsie (12-30-2011), usbound (09-02-2013)
  #25  
Old 05-26-2011
mle guy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 264
Threads: 16
Thanked 349 Times in 165 Posts
Reputation: 359
Thumbs Up

Great plan abeworld. Very comprehensive and it looks do-able as you have organized it really well.
I wish you best of luck with your prep and hope that you will achieve your goals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
benzo (06-03-2011)



  #26  
Old 05-26-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
I m possible,

Thanks for the post. What I plan to do is, start the Kaplan lecture (I DON'T MEAN THE KAPLAN LECTURE NOTES, I MEAN LISTENING TO THE ACTUAL LECTURES) and follow the lecture with MTB2, not lecture notes. Whatever is not mentioned in MTB (extra), I will jot down it in MTB itself. I am planning to not open the Kaplan lecture notes for IM at all! Only on SOS basis! I know I will have to write down a lot (at times) into MTB but that's okay since eventually I will have ONE book (MTB) I can always come back to in doubt and not worry about multiple sources.

The reason I am doing this is because I fail to see how to combine Kaplan lecture notes and MTB. They are in a very different format and doing one after would only confuse me - as there will be two separate ways I would have studied each topic. Of course I plan to explore topics more thoroughly through the Kaplan lecture notes if required. For Surgery, ObGyn, Epidemio, pediatrics, see my last post which outlines my study plan.

I hope my answer was clear and it helps you understand my thinking process a bit. Let me know how you feel about it. And what would you do differently?
Thanks for the reply,,,
do you think listening to lectures and jottin them into MTB will be enough,bcz most step2takers recommend lecture notes than videos,wht do u think,,,
which video lectures are you using ,i mean are u following the current ones or old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle guy View Post
Great plan abeworld. Very comprehensive and it looks do-able as you have organized it really well.
I wish you best of luck with your prep and hope that you will achieve your goals



MLE Guy,

Thanks a lot for the wishes. I haven't received my Step 1 scores as yet but I don't feel like I did great in that exam.... so I need all the hard work and luck I can muster for CK

Thanks again. And wish the same to you. I hope the plan helped you a bit in whatever stage of studying you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 05-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
Thanks for the reply,,,
do you think listening to lectures and jottin them into MTB will be enough,bcz most step2takers recommend lecture notes than videos,wht do u think,,,
which video lectures are you using ,i mean are u following the current ones or old ones.


I m possible,

Good point you bring up there. In short, I do think Kaplan notes closely follow the lectures and so if you are listening to the lectures, you have covered most, if not all, of the important parts of Kaplan notes. And I have come to realize that QBanks will definitely and adequately cover any important topic that you accidentally miss by not reading Kaplan notes. Oh and the Kaplan videos I am using are from 2008-2009 (new?).

First, as per the plan, I will be using the Kaplan notes with the video lectures for ALL subjects except IM. Using MTB 2 with videos is a personal choice based on my current situation. But here is what I have gathered and it should apply to most people -

Why I am reading MTB (instead of Kaplan notes) while listening to Kaplan video lectures?

1. Less time to prepare: I am trying to apply this year and have just started preparing. In essence, I don't have much time. Since MTB is pretty much the holy grail of CK (just as First Aid was for Step 1), if you read Kaplan notes with lectures, it would only take you longer.

2. I remember from Step 1 that I didn't use Kaplan notes AT ALL once I started FA. I assume that will be the case again. So, whats the point of doing the books if the time is constrained?

3. One big attraction to me was having everything I have to read AT ONE PLACE. Even if I have to take extensive notes in MTB, it will be just one book with all notes attached.

4. Lectures are very close to Kaplan books. To some people that helps a lot as they can see what they are reading. To me, it's not that big a deal. I can listen, process and note the extra stuff down in MTB.

5. I feel there is a big discrepancy between Kaplan books and MTB. They do cover the same topics of course, but their approach is very different. I believe MTB's clinical/question oriented approach is much better than Kaplan's textbook like reading. Because of less time and to avoid confusion by reading the same topic in two different ways, I prefer using ONE of the two books - MTB.

6. Eventually I will take notes from UWorld and put it in the same MTB which will make it complete and comprehensive 1 stop for all topics! (I firmly believe that if Superman was a medical student, he would probably use my annotated MTB!! hehe)

7. Physicality of it all: I currently work full time and have to carry stuff to study during lunch hours. It is easier to carry ONE MTB than 5 Kaplan books (especially when I will be doing random questions!!)

8. Eventually, the important bit will be Questions and not the books. So, if I find a topic not adequately covered in MTB IM, I will look into Kaplan books - and again, will paste that note into MTB.

9. Finally, if I use this way, I would have done my first read of the CK Bible (MTB) while listening to the lectures.

Having said that, the obvious shortcoming of reading MTB only is that the video lectures do not follow the book paragraph to paragraph. For that, I have to spend about 5 minutes per topic/video to know where in the chapter things are arranged. Also, I have to pay close attention at all times to listen to everything in the lecture so I don't miss anything. But, frankly thats the only 'shortcoming' that I have noticed.


So, in my opinion, you can still do Kaplan books with lectures and follow it up by MTB if:

1. You have enough time
2. You can carry books around if you need to
3. If you don't mind having to consult >1 book while doing questions.
4. If you don't mind having >1 place to take notes, probably even for the same topic.


PHEW! Dunno what came over me! Hope it helps though. Good luck.

Last edited by abeworld; 05-28-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrSK (05-14-2013)
  #29  
Old 05-28-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 117
Threads: 22
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 38
Default

WOW!!!!
This is really a Superman plan ,,
I have 2001 lecture videos not the recent ones, is there much difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 05-28-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_possible View Post
WOW!!!!
This is really a Superman plan ,,
i ahve 2001 lecture videos not the recent ones ,is there much difference.


Ummmm...I will have to dodge this one. I have no idea what the 2001 videos are like (I didn't know there were two different ones till you told me!).

Also, I believe if you have the latest books, you should be fine.... So I wouldn't worry too much. Just get the newest MTB.

Good Luck!
__________________
Keep Calm and Carry On.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 05-30-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 33
Threads: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle guy View Post
Man your plan is excellent. Do MTB2 really well. Its the best review book.
It is slightly deficient in peds, obs/gyn and surgery. For that you can use MTB3. You can jot down the points on MTB3 for those subjects and the rest on MTB2. I did the same, and its going fine AH.
About the kaplan lectures, I didn't see any of the videos. I just felt that I could read a lot more in that time. But it depends on person to person. People say they are very good. I read Kaplan notes really quickly at the start, but I guess it doesn't matter if you read them or not because MTB2 retains well and kaplan notes don't.
One thing that you have to read from Kaplan notes is the Surgery trauma section. Its very well written there. The rest of surgery you don't need much, MTB3 would cover it.
And you have to do the biostats/epi section as well. Its almost the same in Kaplan step1 and step2 notes.
Best of luck with your prep!
Mle guy Im on my final 3 weeks to have the exam, it seems we rationalize very similar, i have done MTB2 plus usmle step 2 secrets but realized was not enough so i bought MTB3 and it completes/refresh the knoledgment for step 2. IM reading my weak areas cus there is no time to finish the whole book. My total time of study will be 5 1/2 months. I study from monday to friday. Ive done uworld half of kaplan q bank and half of usmleconsult, when are you takin you exam? Abeworld i think you are right about conrad I saw his infectious and hemato videos and were great, also psychiatry by Gonzales Mayo, thats all videos i watched and wouldn't watch more cuz it takes plenty of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 05-31-2011
mle guy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 264
Threads: 16
Thanked 349 Times in 165 Posts
Reputation: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpabloq View Post
Mle guy Im on my final 3 weeks to have the exam, it seems we rationalize very similar, i have done MTB2 plus usmle step 2 secrets but realized was not enough so i bought MTB3 and it completes/refresh the knoledgment for step 2. IM reading my weak areas cus there is no time to finish the whole book. My total time of study will be 5 1/2 months. I study from monday to friday. Ive done uworld half of kaplan q bank and half of usmleconsult, when are you takin you exam? Abeworld i think you are right about conrad I saw his infectious and hemato videos and were great, also psychiatry by Gonzales Mayo, thats all videos i watched and wouldn't watch more cuz it takes plenty of time
My exam is in 4-5 weeks IA. I have not taken the date yet. Best of luck with your test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
benzo (06-03-2011)
  #33  
Old 06-02-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 9
Thanked 95 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle guy View Post
My exam is in 4-5 weeks IA. I have not taken the date yet. Best of luck with your test


Good luck to you both. Please come back to share your views!!
__________________
Keep Calm and Carry On.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 10-23-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 37
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

best post ever seen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 10-23-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 537
Threads: 80
Thanked 342 Times in 138 Posts
Reputation: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
Essentially, the following is the sequence of study that I have prepared based on numerous forums and tips all around. I believe it should suit most, if not all (+/- 2SD ):

1. Internal Medicine Kaplan video lectures with MTB 2 (note all the extra stuff in the book itself)
2. Internal medicine questions from Kaplan QBook
3. Surgery, ObGyn, Pediatrics Kaplan video lectures with Kaplan books
4. Surgery, ObGyn, Pediatrics Kaplan Qbook questions.
5. Step 1 Behavioral Science Kaplan Book
6. 100 Ethics cases by Conrad Fischer book
7. Psych, Epidemio, Ethics Questions from Kaplan QBook
8. Kaplan QBank - as many questions as possible in 15 days
9. USMLEWorld QBank - All questions and at least 1 revision, with review of wrong answers
10. MTB 2 and Kaplan books revision at least once on two random weekends where you want to take a break from UW questions.
11. 2 NBME Tests - 4 and 2 weeks before the exam.

Steps 1-7 in 6 weeks (make a schedule), steps 8-11 for the rest 12-14 weeks for a total of 20 weeks (5 months)

OPTIONS: It feels like it is equally fine to do MTB 3 instead of Kaplan video lectures and books for surg, obgyn, peds in #3. Whatever feels better to you.


Hope this helps!



I have also realized that the above schedule works for 5 months study. If you want to reduce your total study time -

1. Remove 15 days of Kaplan QBank - Although better than Step 1 Kaplan QBank, it appears that UW is more than enough and perhaps should be revised as much as possible.

2. In step #3 above, don't listen to lectures. Although helpful, they are very similar to the Kaplan books text. Give the books a quick read and skip the video lectures

3. #10 and #11 are certainly optional as you will be going back to these books as you do the UW questions.

This should bring your study time from 5 months (in the schedule above) to around 4 months (MINIMUM time you should give to this exam to score well, as suggested by all)


Please comment and critique!
thankssss alottttt man....am abt to strt my prep n ur plan looks great foor me tooooo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 12-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeworld View Post
Hello all,

I am starting on with my Step 2 CK. I was looking around at different forums for the study materials and the schedule/method of study, but failed to see a coherent plan anywhere.

First, I understand that people study differently and have their own plans and ways of dealing with cramming and conceptualizing things. So, I will try to keep my questions generic so they fit everyone.

1. I understand that Kaplan lectures and notes are important and MOST people end up doing them. How long should you take/people usually take to finish them?

2. Are all topics in the lectures and notes to be done from the Kaplan book itself? Should I skip some chapters altogether and do from other books or is it a good idea to finish ALL OF them at least once?

3. Next there is MTB. I heard that MTB 2 is essential without a doubt, but it does not effectively cover all topics. Will the combination of MTB 2 and Kaplan lectures + notes suffice or do we need MTB 2 and 3?

4. This one is an important one for me. I can't get my head around it. For step 1, the Kaplan notes were for concepts and first read, but once I picked up First Aid, that became my BASE book and i took notes in them. I consulted the Kaplan books only if I needed to revise a whole topic or a bigger concept. I didn't even touch the Kaplan books in the last month of study. Is this how I should treat Step2 Kaplan lectures and notes and MTB - Do Kaplan completely and then MTB, making it the base book I always come back to. Will that work?

5. Kaplan QBank is supposedly good for Step 2 and is much better than Step 1. What is everyone's opinion? I know UW is really important. Should I make sure i finish Kaplan QBank or should I completely ignore it, do UW as many times and finish all NBMEs?

6. Is it possible to take notes from the Kaplan lectures directly in MTB and skip Kaplan books altogether? that will save time for me!! And since MTB will be my BASE book for all subjects, thats all I will have to read till the end!

7. Finally, are there specific topics to be done from MTB 3 over and above MTB 2?

Thanks in advance!
please I need Master the boards Usmle step ck2 and step 3 , I need it urgent, my email is dr_azeezah@hotmail.com , and I need any important notes for step 1 and step 2 ck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 05-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 106
Threads: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 50
Thumbs Up

This is an awesome thread!! Super helpful!! I've read so many and this seems fit with the track I'm on along with the time constraint. Hoping to finish by august!! And just barely started prep. Thanks for such a detailed prep post. I've just started with IM lecture videos and doing it along with MTB 2. Tried reading the KLN but kept falling asleep. I think its pretty boring.. or there's something wrong with me? lol
Abeworld- are you done with CK? Did this plan work well for you? Please let me know. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-2-CK-Starters, Step-2-CK-Study-Plans

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USMLE Step 3 Preparation drpratibhas USMLE Step 3 Recommended Threads 14 05-23-2016 09:01 AM
Has anyone used p.a.s.s for preparation of step 1? sabrina.1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 04-11-2011 03:34 PM
Want to start Step 2 CK preparation salha USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 10-01-2010 03:10 PM
Need Help in Preparation for Step 1 doctor_moh_ali USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 05-07-2010 05:44 AM
Step 2 CK preparation Thuraya USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 04-17-2010 09:22 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)