poor NBME 6 score... need advice - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CK Forum

USMLE Step 2 CK Forum USMLE Step 2 CK Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CK exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default poor NBME 6 score... need advice

I just took NBME form 6 and got a score of 212.
I took NBME form 4 about 2 weeks ago and got 230, but it was self-paced so I decided to not count that score (or -20 points at least...)
I realized the passing score has been raised to 209 for step 2 starting this month and i'm feeling very uneasy about this test....
I have my step 2 in 5 days and i'm debating whether or not to cancel it.
I have to take comlex in 10 days and i'm only going to apply for family/psych residencies.... Is usmle score really necessary for these residencies?
Should I cancel or postpone step 2....?
Any feedback on your experience with NBME form 6 and the real deal would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 07-17-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I just took NBME form 6 and got a score of 212.
I took NBME form 4 about 2 weeks ago and got 230, but it was self-paced so I decided to not count that score (or -20 points at least...)
I realized the passing score has been raised to 209 for step 2 starting this month and i'm feeling very uneasy about this test....
I have my step 2 in 5 days and i'm debating whether or not to cancel it.
I have to take comlex in 10 days and i'm only going to apply for family/psych residencies.... Is usmle score really necessary for these residencies?
Should I cancel or postpone step 2....?
Any feedback on your experience with NBME form 6 and the real deal would be appreciated!
Also, if I DO postpone it to August, I would not get my score until October... would it be FATALLY late to apply in October..? Or should I just get my comlex score, apply in September, and then report my step 2 score when it gets released in October....any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-18-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I just took NBME form 6 and got a score of 212.
I took NBME form 4 about 2 weeks ago and got 230, but it was self-paced so I decided to not count that score (or -20 points at least...)
I realized the passing score has been raised to 209 for step 2 starting this month and i'm feeling very uneasy about this test....
I have my step 2 in 5 days and i'm debating whether or not to cancel it.
I have to take comlex in 10 days and i'm only going to apply for family/psych residencies.... Is usmle score really necessary for these residencies?
Should I cancel or postpone step 2....?
Any feedback on your experience with NBME form 6 and the real deal would be appreciated!
Well lets talk serious business here, if you dont take your exam in 5 days and decide to postpone it what are you planing to do in sake of increasing your score since I am assuming you finished UW and MTB and the other books? if the answer is repeat them again, I ask how much percentile do you expect to increase by doing so?
is the answer is around 10-20 %, I ask is it worth the wait?
secondly, are you an IMG or AMG ? Answering this question is very pertinent to the fact that your applying to psychiatry/family, especially psych is more a pro AMG, US IMG etc look at the recent NRMP report 1320 positions offered last year only 190 IMG accepted numbers talk very clearly.
if you are an IMG how much is CK signifies for your acceptance or being interviewed it weights very much referencing to the fact they demand full certification and step 3 for some programs.

finally , I advise you to do UWSA and upon it decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
greygoose (07-18-2014)
 
  #4  
Old 07-18-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz View Post
Well lets talk serious business here, if you dont take your exam in 5 days and decide to postpone it what are you planing to do in sake of increasing your score since I am assuming you finished UW and MTB and the other books? if the answer is repeat them again, I ask how much percentile do you expect to increase by doing so?
is the answer is around 10-20 %, I ask is it worth the wait?
secondly, are you an IMG or AMG ? Answering this question is very pertinent to the fact that your applying to psychiatry/family, especially psych is more a pro AMG, US IMG etc look at the recent NRMP report 1320 positions offered last year only 190 IMG accepted numbers talk very clearly.
if you are an IMG how much is CK signifies for your acceptance or being interviewed it weights very much referencing to the fact they demand full certification and step 3 for some programs.

finally , I advise you to do UWSA and upon it decide.
I am AMG but i'm in osteopathic school. I did not take step 1 and took only COMLEX level I. For psych, I realized there are only few DO programs, so I would have to apply to MD programs. I was not sure if many MD programs would be accepting towards applicants who took only COMLEX score. I am still planning to apply to DO FM programs.
I guess my options are:

1) risk failing step 2 but just take it on 22nd for the sake of applying early (not feeling confident at all after that 212 on NBME 6)
2) just not take step 2 at all and apply with only COMLEX score
3) postpone step 2 to August and apply late to MD programs (or apply early and then report step 2 score when it gets released... if that is possible)

don't know what to do with myself..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-18-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I am AMG but i'm in osteopathic school. I did not take step 1 and took only COMLEX level I. For psych, I realized there are only few DO programs, so I would have to apply to MD programs. I was not sure if many MD programs would be accepting towards applicants who took only COMLEX score. I am still planning to apply to DO FM programs.
I guess my options are:

1) risk failing step 2 but just take it on 22nd for the sake of applying early (not feeling confident at all after that 212 on NBME 6)
2) just not take step 2 at all and apply with only COMLEX score
3) postpone step 2 to August and apply late to MD programs (or apply early and then report step 2 score when it gets released... if that is possible)

don't know what to do with myself..
I will be honest with you I lack infos in general about DO's status and how they go through the match and etc.. but what I can do is direct you to student doctor forum on my opinion they are more oriented on your case and their advise is more accurate especially the psychiatry forum.
what I can inform you is a lot of MD programs do accept DO example georgetown in dc harvard south shore, harvard longwood, dukes etc.. some dont even bother looking at your app if your a DO or IMG .

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
greygoose (07-18-2014)
  #6  
Old 07-18-2014
exudate's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 172
Threads: 17
Thanked 97 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 107
Default

i am in similar situation....i did poorly only nbme 6...exam is next week...idk what to do!! stressful situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-18-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exudate View Post
i am in similar situation....i did poorly only nbme 6...exam is next week...idk what to do!! stressful situation!
are you an osteopathic student? I'm freaking out about my score and also this score delay thing that's supposed to happen starting late July....if I do postpone step 2 then I won't have my score until October!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low score in NBME 6 - Advice needed khiladi_img USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 08-01-2013 08:07 AM
Poor Step 1 Score avash.nrs IMG Residency Match Forum 2 06-11-2012 02:25 PM
poor UWORLD SCORE avash.nrs USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 02-09-2012 03:27 AM
nbme score advice,please Bio7 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 03-18-2011 06:09 PM
Exam in 10 Days! Poor UWSA Score itwasjuly USMLE Step 1 Forum 18 01-25-2011 07:31 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)