Time Needed for Closure, Summerazing and Counseling - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum > USMLE Step 2 CS Prep Tips > USMLE Step 2 CS Communication Skills

USMLE Step 2 CS Communication Skills Step 2 CS Communication, Spoken English Proficiency, Language and Interpersonal Skills Discussion forum. CIS and SEP components of the USMLE Step 2 CS Exam.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Clock Time Needed for Closure, Summerazing and Counseling

Would 3.5 minutes be good.

also do patients have 2 things to counsel about or 1 thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 06-15-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

on average 3.5 min are good but it will hugely vary from case to case. Some SPs ask lot of Qs during closure(like urge incontinence) and in some cases there will be lot to council about. i had a pt with unprotected sex, smoking and heavy drinking plus also a cocaine user. so almost ran out of time in that. on the top of that it was a neuro case with the pt wearing sneakers, so had to spend taking his shoes off. But on average , i think every SP is asking 2-3 Qs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-15-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
on average 3.5 min are good but it will hugely vary from case to case. Some SPs ask lot of Qs during closure(like urge incontinence) and in some cases there will be lot to council about. i had a pt with unprotected sex, smoking and heavy drinking plus also a cocaine user. so almost ran out of time in that. on the top of that it was a neuro case with the pt wearing sneakers, so had to spend taking his shoes off. But on average , i think every SP is asking 2-3 Qs .

I see, the sneakers why do they have to be off, i thought they wear it in order to walk freely so is a sign to get them to walk.


also do we congratulate them 2 times, or do we tell them do not drive until we are sure they have no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 06-15-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

had to take them off as it was a neuro case and i needed to check all the reflexes. regarding walking, u will need to check their gait if the case demands it anyways whether they wear shoes or not.he was wearing sneakers as he came straight from the track field.
yes telling them not to drive is a good thing. regarding congratulting twice, i would do it in a single line for both things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-15-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
had to take them off as it was a neuro case and i needed to check all the reflexes. regarding walking, u will need to check their gait if the case demands it anyways whether they wear shoes or not.he was wearing sneakers as he came straight from the track field.
yes telling them not to drive is a good thing. regarding congratulting twice, i would do it in a single line for both things.

so in LOC we do not do walking, that is back pain. I get it.

did you take the shoes off your self or did you ask them to take them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (06-15-2013)
  #6  
Old 06-15-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
so in LOC we do not do walking, that is back pain. I get it.

did you take the shoes off your self or did you ask them to take them off.
i took them off myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (06-15-2013)
  #7  
Old 06-15-2013
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 370 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
I had a pt with unprotected sex, smoking and heavy drinking plus also a cocaine user. so almost ran out of time in that. on the top of that it was a neuro case with the pt wearing sneakers, so had to spend taking his shoes off. But on average , i think every SP is asking 2-3 Qs .


I'd pay for hearing that counseling... Did you use one line per subject or did one line including all at once? Any insight? I was thinking of counseling only for 2 or 1 things in the case of running out of time.
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-15-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

nothing special....you just have to council to quit everything, which he said he didnt wanna do(17y kid) plus CAGE. he had lot of other factors in his personal n Family history which was kinda pertinent to diagnosis. i was at my last words when the announcement went off,so kinda barely mde it. couldn't out his shoes back on though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mexito View Post


I'd pay for hearing that counseling... Did you use one line per subject or did one line including all at once? Any insight? I was thinking of counseling only for 2 or 1 things in the case of running out of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (06-15-2013), Dr. Mexito (06-15-2013), venky2600 (06-15-2013)



Reply

Tags
CS-Communication

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running out of Time during closure? brca123 USMLE Step 2 CS SP Challenges 3 05-22-2013 08:27 AM
how much time needed for pathoma? cshekar987 USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 12-20-2012 07:33 PM
Time needed to do Uworld Second time steps_8186 USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-17-2012 06:49 AM
Time for counseling the SP! ronniewhite USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 1 01-03-2012 11:53 AM
time needed for u world heman466s USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 08-07-2011 10:51 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)