My Exam Experience 2nd attempt
I just got my result yesterday for CS and I PASSED after doing so many mistakes. This was my 2nd attempt and I was so scared about failing again.
I want to post my review. I took my 1st attempt at Atlanta because everyone told me that Atlanta is the most IMG friendly.
These were my mistakes during my first attempt.
1. never took out the foot rest while making the patient lie.
2. never took off the foot rest to help patient get off the table
3. the patient was pretending to vomit when i went into the room, i didnt offer him anything and started with the history.
4. There was this lady with cough n while i was examining her lungs she kept her hand on the lower part of her left shoulder as if she was trying to hide something or maybe she was pretending to be uncomfortable with examination. I didnt realize that until i came out of the room.
5. there was a patient with chest pain in whom the pain becomes worse on lying back. I made him lie at 45 degrees to examine his JVP. he started wincing in pain. I made him sit down right then without further examining him.
I thought my exam went fine. i never realized these mistakes because i had no experience. I was just focusing on data gathering.
I took my 2nd attempt at LA. And my mistakes
1. i was not able to finish the first case. I started the closure and the time ran out. so i could not counsel the patient about anxiety, smoking and alcohol.
2. forgot to counsel about smoking.
3. I forgot to ask a patient with depression about suicide attempts ( and the doctor i shadowed told me that this is a serious blunder)
4. didnt counsel a teenager who tried alcohol once and has sexual activity with her boyfriend once
But this time my closure was really strong. i gave the patient a complete impression about the disease, why i think he is having a particular disease, its course,preventive measures, prognosis and if any longterm treatment or surgery is required.
i mentioned about routine invesigations to every patients since its the first time they are coming to me. and told them that the routine tests are done free for the first time. and before leaving I always asked them if they are satisfied and if i am able to answer all their concerns.
and i passed with a high performance in all three components.
It doesnt matter where you take your exam. Since i took it for the first time at apparently the most easiest centre and failed and then 2nd time at the most difficult one and passed.
Dont lose hope! keep going!!!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Passed CK on 2nd attempt||95425||USMLE Step 2 CK Forum||15||03-10-2015 03:48 AM|
|2nd attempt on Step 2 CS||bobbyto||USMLE Step 2 CS Forum||4||06-08-2014 10:38 AM|
|matching with CS 2nd attempt||internist||IMG Residency Match Forum||0||10-14-2013 11:36 AM|
|Please help, 231 on step1 and 2nd attempt CS, what should I do???||ayham_b||IMG Residency Match Forum||1||05-05-2013 09:04 AM|
|Anyone matched with 2nd attempt||md-2011||IMG Residency Match Forum||2||03-15-2013 06:45 AM|