Is First Aid enough for the CS? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 4
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
First Aid Is First Aid enough for the CS?

I have done First Aid CS twice is it enough or I will find many cases out of the book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 01-28-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,053 Times in 1,567 Posts
Reputation: 5149
Default

That has been polled here
Is FA enough for the CS?

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (01-29-2012)
  #3  
Old 01-29-2012
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,268 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnibrahim View Post
I have done First Aid CS twice is it enough or I will find many cases out of the book!
YES!...but you must practice a lot!...dont waste your time/money using online videos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
johnibrahim (01-29-2012), tootsie (01-29-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 01-29-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Help

What exactly do we have to practice though? Is it mostly the history taking skills or the physical exam?

Can practice be done through skype only? How much practice is needed for a native English speaker?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-29-2012
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,268 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
What exactly do we have to practice though? Is it mostly the history taking skills or the physical exam?

Can practice be done through skype only? How much practice is needed for a native English speaker?

Thanks...
I think skype is not enough...you should practice live the Hx & PE...2 weeks should be fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (01-29-2012)
  #6  
Old 01-29-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 10
Thanked 70 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 80
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebix View Post
I think skype is not enough...you should practice live the Hx & PE...2 weeks should be fine...
may i ask why skype only is not enough? i have no one available to practice live, neither my mother nor my father speaks english and all the people i know in the usmle process is in USA right now, and i'm not :s
are you saying that my chances to pass are low??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-30-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 49
Threads: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

hi
well good luck to eveyone
I am preparing for cs and was going to do step 1 at the same time, it is alot of pressure and stress this way.

if you guys are not sure if you are going the right way for the cs I am gonna highly recommed you watch csevideo my rootmate swears by this she is from india and she says its matches the real exam and for your english worries there is audio on there for sep she recommend it, if you wnat to study let me know we can do the cases on phone or skype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-30-2012
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,268 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse16 View Post
hi
well good luck to eveyone
I am preparing for cs and was going to do step 1 at the same time, it is alot of pressure and stress this way.

if you guys are not sure if you are going the right way for the cs I am gonna highly recommed you watch csevideo my rootmate swears by this she is from india and she says its matches the real exam and for your english worries there is audio on there for sep she recommend it, if you wnat to study let me know we can do the cases on phone or skype.
Actually, I took step 1 and CS at the same time and CSEvideo didnt help...so, my best advise is to read FA and practice and dont waste your money...you could use skype if you dont have a live partner, but is always better to practice "live" (specially the PE)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-30-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 49
Threads: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

hi
I dont know if you are amg or have had special us training, but I find csevideo helps me to keep focused on points and show me how to do the entire exam, so I can watch one video and in my mind I can see the whole picture of what to do in the exam.

it is like step one it is not enough to know what hemoglobin is but you need to know the whole picture like goljan says so I think these videos give me the whole picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-30-2012
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,268 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse16 View Post
hi
I dont know if you are amg or have had special us training, but I find csevideo helps me to keep focused on points and show me how to do the entire exam, so I can watch one video and in my mind I can see the whole picture of what to do in the exam.

it is like step one it is not enough to know what hemoglobin is but you need to know the whole picture like goljan says so I think these videos give me the whole picture.
Well, if that really helps you, good for you!
that was only my opinion...FA is more than enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-11-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 127
Threads: 8
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

FA alone is enough but make sure you practice the exams on some one but I feel its little things that counts a lot like knock before you enter, washing hands/gloves etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-13-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 32
Threads: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

i feel FA is not enough...FA does give you a lot of info but does not actually tell you how to carry out an encounter. you should supplement that knowledge with online videos (on youtube, csa videos, jaypee's atlas, etc).
along with this you need to practice a lot of cases with your friends and family.
best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
CS-Preparation, First-Aid, USMLE-Books

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)