Don't get upset by AMGs - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 325 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 335
Smile Don't get upset by AMGs

I took my CS a few days ago. I want to describe the whole process and prep, most of you know how it looks from others posts.

Just want to share my experiecne. It was 21 AMGs and only 3 IMGs when I was taking test, all Americans are 4-th students and don't get upset cause you old grad like me and have to compete with students. I've heard that AMGs getting out from the rooms earlier than IMGs. I was able to finish most cases in 12-14 min, when I got out, they're typing already! It was not upset, because like I said I've heard about this. So, my advice is be ready for that and do not stress out over it!

Now, conversation during lunch..... 2 AMGs around me said they didn't touch a patient since last August, that means to me they didn't talk to patients for the past 7 months and that means they take this exam.... as a joke! When I was studying, I didn't have Thanksgiving, X mas or New Year, I was preping all those days! I couldn't say anything to them, but deep inside got upset. So, be prepared for this kinda things and do not let them upset you!

So, be yourself and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013), amirhagigi (01-20-2013), doc.mav (01-20-2013), dr mumble (04-15-2013), Dr. Mexito (06-05-2013), dr.Zh (01-26-2013), drazk (01-22-2013), hakuna matata (01-20-2013), Hitman (01-20-2013), Hope2Pass (01-30-2013), pkul85 (01-21-2013), raja5 (06-09-2013), stepdoc1 (01-20-2013), venky2600 (05-27-2013)




  #2  
Old 01-20-2013
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

good luck , hope you pass with high performance

would like to know was FA good enough for all cases ?

and where you able to type PN on time , cause i am a bit slow with typing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 325 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
good luck , hope you pass with high performance

would like to know was FA good enough for all cases ?

and where you able to type PN on time , cause i am a bit slow with typing
Yes, FA is enough, don't forget about minicases, they are important as well. I've used CSE videos, found them very useful, they gave me some ideas how to build the cases. Thank you, Hitman for kind words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013), Hitman (01-20-2013), venky2600 (05-27-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 325 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
good luck , hope you pass with high performance

would like to know was FA good enough for all cases ?

and where you able to type PN on time , cause i am a bit slow with typing
yes, 11 cases PNs I was able to finish on time, but only God knows what I put there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)
  #5  
Old 01-20-2013
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
yes, 11 cases PNs I was able to finish on time, but only God knows what I put there...

you just need to fill it so the examiner can say its overall pass , becoz thats all we need now . no more ICE check list so PN has become more imp.

dont worry you will fine .......

thanks........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)
  #6  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 325 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default slow typer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
you just need to fill it so the examiner can say its overall pass , becoz thats all we need now . no more ICE check list so PN has become more imp.

dont worry you will fine .......

thanks........
Thanks again, if you are slow typer like me, you MUST get out of the room earlier to add on your saved time to your PN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)
  #7  
Old 01-20-2013
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
Thanks again, if you are slow typer like me, you MUST get out of the room earlier to add on your saved time to your PN
yup working on that, hope to improve on patient contact to adjust time ...

thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 236
Threads: 12
Thanked 194 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
I took my CS a few days ago. I want to describe the whole process and prep, most of you know how it looks from others posts.

Just want to share my experiecne. It was 21 AMGs and only 3 IMGs when I was taking test, all Americans are 4-th students and don't get upset cause you old grad like me and have to compete with students. I've heard that AMGs getting out from the rooms earlier than IMGs. I was able to finish most cases in 12-14 min, when I got out, they're typing already! It was not upset, because like I said I've heard about this. So, my advice is be ready for that and do not stress out over it!

Now, conversation during lunch..... 2 AMGs around me said they didn't touch a patient since last August, that means to me they didn't talk to patients for the past 7 months and that means they take this exam.... as a joke! When I was studying, I didn't have Thanksgiving, X mas or New Year, I was preping all those days! I couldn't say anything to them, but deep inside got upset. So, be prepared for this kinda things and do not let them upset you!

So, be yourself and good luck!
I am Visiting this CS section after a long while...
I remember my day of CS test in LA. Same situation and I got intimidated by AMGs and thought I will be judged in there comparison and will be scored bad.........I almost screwed up my exam due to this but as marina99 has pointed out dont get intimidated...you are judged for your performance and not compared..........I got high performance and cleared........Good luck guys and good on you marina99 for posting this.We all are like an extended family encouraging each other to move on.........Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013), marina99 (01-20-2013)
  #9  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 100
Threads: 25
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 19
Thumbs Up Thanks for the post

Great that you are done with the exam and all the best for the results.

Btw which centre was it?

Thank you for the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 325 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Great that you are done with the exam and all the best for the results.

Btw which centre was it?

Thank you for the post.
It was Atlanta, thank you for your good wishes, good luck to all of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 01-20-2013
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Hey I also wanted to ask , did you find any findings in PE . like i understand abdo tenderness but like do the act out by not breathing in a respi case and making a hush hush sound in a cvs case ? its written in FA they will make such sounds and one of my friend said that he really had a pt who had a large thyroid gland and the case was also about thyroid so did you have any findings in PE ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 515
Threads: 88
Thanked 507 Times in 232 Posts
Reputation: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
I took my CS a few days ago. I want to describe the whole process and prep, most of you know how it looks from others posts.

Just want to share my experiecne. It was 21 AMGs and only 3 IMGs when I was taking test, all Americans are 4-th students and don't get upset cause you old grad like me and have to compete with students. I've heard that AMGs getting out from the rooms earlier than IMGs. I was able to finish most cases in 12-14 min, when I got out, they're typing already! It was not upset, because like I said I've heard about this. So, my advice is be ready for that and do not stress out over it!

Now, conversation during lunch..... 2 AMGs around me said they didn't touch a patient since last August, that means to me they didn't talk to patients for the past 7 months and that means they take this exam.... as a joke! When I was studying, I didn't have Thanksgiving, X mas or New Year, I was preping all those days! I couldn't say anything to them, but deep inside got upset. So, be prepared for this kinda things and do not let them upset you!

So, be yourself and good luck!
This really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 325 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default some simulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Hey I also wanted to ask , did you find any findings in PE . like i understand abdo tenderness but like do the act out by not breathing in a respi case and making a hush hush sound in a cvs case ? its written in FA they will make such sounds and one of my friend said that he really had a pt who had a large thyroid gland and the case was also about thyroid so did you have any findings in PE ?
Yes, they did simulate abdo tenderness, but nothing on respiratory, plus you dont have enough time to listen differences on breaths sounds, your stethoscope literally stays on patient 20 seconds....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 01-20-2013
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
Yes, they did simulate abdo tenderness, but nothing on respiratory, plus you dont have enough time to listen differences on breaths sounds, your stethoscope literally stays on patient 20 seconds....
oh thats great . no headaches ......

thanks ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 01-23-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default CS Exam............

Can u plz share ur CS experience.......Hw did u prepare n wat resources did u use ? Do we need any Skype partners/Live partners ?
Wl greatly appreciate ur help..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 01-26-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 46
Threads: 3
Thanked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 40
Default

I took my exam recently, and I wasn't annoyed.. I was rather shocked!! Regardless of when I came out of the patient encounter, I saw them all tapping away at the keyboard!

But I just took it in my stride, phased it out, and concentrated on what I had to do. I think it is essential that we don't let that affect us. I believe they have been trained to have a thought process that helps them process things quicker, and not waste time on non-essential stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)
  #17  
Old 01-26-2013
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

thank you guys for the heads up . I hope i am not bothered about who completes their encounter earlier , its not a race and there is no extra point for finishing earlier ... . good luck guys hope we all pass :sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 01-28-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 113
Threads: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Hey I also wanted to ask , did you find any findings in PE . like i understand abdo tenderness but like do the act out by not breathing in a respi case and making a hush hush sound in a cvs case ? its written in FA they will make such sounds and one of my friend said that he really had a pt who had a large thyroid gland and the case was also about thyroid so did you have any findings in PE ?
Hi, I just took mine on last thursday and I did have a sp that made a weird sound when I was auscultating for RS,so ur supposed to think it as a wheeze and that too he simulated it only on one side..So be prepared for that..
All the best,,!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013), Hitman (01-28-2013), stepdoc1 (01-28-2013)
  #19  
Old 01-28-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 179
Threads: 16
Thanked 94 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr s View Post
Hi, I just took mine on last thursday and I did have a sp that made a weird sound when I was auscultating for RS,so ur supposed to think it as a wheeze and that too he simulated it only on one side..So be prepared for that..
All the best,,!
where did you take your exam? were you able to complete all cases- encounter and PNs? Were you familiar with all the cases, i.e., were they all in first aid? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 01-29-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 113
Threads: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdoc1 View Post
where did you take your exam? were you able to complete all cases- encounter and PNs? Were you familiar with all the cases, i.e., were they all in first aid? thanks!
Yes,I could close all my cases and had a lot of time for typing PN. All wer the familiar cases,FA has it all..I did a big mistake,I forgot to wash my hands/gloves for the first 4 encounters.:sorry: Rest all was fine..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 01-29-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 515
Threads: 88
Thanked 507 Times in 232 Posts
Reputation: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr s View Post
Yes,I could close all my cases and had a lot of time for typing PN. All wer the familiar cases,FA has it all..I did a big mistake,I forgot to wash my hands/gloves for the first 4 encounters.:sorry: Rest all was fine..
I wish you good luck.
My advice for those who are going to take the test, use gloves instead of washing hands, this will give you more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Hitman (01-29-2013)
  #22  
Old 05-26-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 21
Threads: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag2011n View Post
I wish you good luck.
My advice for those who are going to take the test, use gloves instead of washing hands, this will give you more time.
Hi i wanna ask a question please. In my practice i barely finish on time n am hearing here people finish by 13-14 mins if not less. Hows this, are the cases in FA more detailed or do the SP give u answers faster than we might be while acting. I appreciate your help in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-27-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
Yes, they did simulate abdo tenderness, but nothing on respiratory, plus you dont have enough time to listen differences on breaths sounds, your stethoscope literally stays on patient 20 seconds....
You are supposed to listen to the breath sounds, as they sometimes simulate some sounds! Like for example absent breath sounds...
It is a mistake if you only listen for a few seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)
  #24  
Old 05-27-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
Just want to share my experiecne. It was 21 AMGs and only 3 IMGs when I was taking test, all Americans are 4-th students and don't get upset cause you old grad like me and have to compete with students. I've heard that AMGs getting out from the rooms earlier than IMGs. I was able to finish most cases in 12-14 min, when I got out, they're typing already! It was not upset, because like I said I've heard about this. So, my advice is be ready for that and do not stress out over it!
Don't get upset! Everyone is doing different cases, so some might be shorter, that's why they are out earlier. During my exam, doing the phone case I was one of the first one's out, and it was never the same people that were already typing when the other's "had to" come out of the room because the encounter was finished. Remember, everyone has a different type of patient so for some it takes longer to take a history and do an exam than for other patients!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)
  #25  
Old 05-27-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghapy1 View Post
Hi i wanna ask a question please. In my practice i barely finish on time n am hearing here people finish by 13-14 mins if not less. Hows this, are the cases in FA more detailed or do the SP give u answers faster than we might be while acting. I appreciate your help in this.
The cases are very similar to FA in how detailed they are. If you are not finishing on time, try practicing your physical exam to get it done faster, also try organizing your history so you don't waste time thinking about what to ask next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (05-27-2013)



  #26  
Old 05-27-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 21
Threads: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
The cases are very similar to FA in how detailed they are. If you are not finishing on time, try practicing your physical exam to get it done faster, also try organizing your history so you don't waste time thinking about what to ask next!
Thanks for the reply val7. Ill Shall try my best in this. We should be finihig hxn in 8 mins i guess..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-28-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghapy1 View Post
Hi i wanna ask a question please. In my practice i barely finish on time n am hearing here people finish by 13-14 mins if not less. Hows this, are the cases in FA more detailed or do the SP give u answers faster than we might be while acting. I appreciate your help in this.
Breaking it up in chunks helps me. Taking 4 minutes for HPI, etc., 4 minutes for PAMHUGSFOSS, 4 minutes for exam, and 3 minutes for closure. This is not my original idea, just something I read about somewhere. If you get the closure down to a couple of minutes, that gives you time to wash your hands before the exam and also remember don't rush the patient.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aghapy1 (05-28-2013)



Reply

Tags
CS-Experience, Old-Grads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why to interview AMGs if they fill with IMGs! FloridaRanker USMG Residency Match Forum 2 09-30-2012 07:39 PM
Discrimination against IMGs and Bias towards AMGs jjus IMG Residency Match Forum 25 05-21-2012 05:39 AM
What Happens to AMGs Who don't match? add1 USMG Residency Match Forum 1 03-06-2012 07:50 PM
Increase the number of AMGs rahul usmle General Topics Forum 3 01-29-2012 10:21 PM
How many more AMGs entering the match by 2013? rahul usmle General Topics Forum 29 05-31-2011 12:56 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)