CS Experience Atlanta - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 30
Wink CS Experience Atlanta

Hello,

I never have posted here before, but I have been using this site for a couple of years now. I completed CS yesterday in Atlanta and just wanted to share a bit.

Prep Time: 2 weeks. One study partner and First Aid for CS. Went through all mini-cases and full case examples in the rear of the book at least twice. I focused on data gathering, and typing the patient note and less so on the physical exam.

  1. I used mnemonics because they are easier for me to remember. PAMHUGSFOS/PAMHITSFOS, LIQORAAA, and BINDDERS (peds cases) were used repeatedly and were helpful. I made up my own mnemonic for review of symptoms and was also helpful.
  2. I spent at least a minute outside of the room before encountering each patient. Why? I needed to calm down a bit, gather my thoughts, and think up differentials first. I also thought about relevant physical exams and part of my closure. Once my thoughts were in order, the patient encounter tended to go by smoothly and I got out of the room a lot quicker.
  3. Look at the vitals on the door prior to entering. Take note of elevated BP and fever. These are things that can be addressed in history, closure, or PN
  4. Guide the patient encounter on your terms. Spending a minute outside of the room allowed me to try to determine how the encounter would go and it made it easier to proceed with intro, history, physical, and closure. SPs were pretty compliant with whatever you were asking/doing as long as it was explained to them in a reasonable manner and with some confidence.
  5. I used gloves for each physical exam. While I was fumbling with them occasionally, I was talking to the patient regarding what physical exams were going to be done and if they had questions. I did focused physicals based on complaint and listened to heart/lung sounds on every patient
  6. Lighten up. One SP did not know the date on mini-mental status exam. I knew he knew the date and it was not part of the complaint so I whispered him the date and he had to laugh and then he repeated it.
  7. Practice typing. The faster you can type the PN, the more time you have to make revisions, rethink your differentials and take a breather before the next encounter.
  8. I screwed up here and there, however I finished every encounter (history+PE+closure) and PN in time. I missed some things here and there and made some incorrect diagnoses, but hopefully it was not too detrimental to my overall score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
adityamunshi (03-03-2013), akshaya.amc (03-19-2013), beka-CTS (03-01-2013), drjds (04-29-2015), koolkiller88 (03-01-2013), Marikella (03-01-2013), MastermindDoctor (03-02-2013), mlebuddy (03-02-2013), mzee74 (03-01-2013), nishaa (03-01-2013), Pectoralis86 (03-01-2013), r0ck_s0lid (03-02-2013), shoty (03-01-2013), stepdoc1 (03-01-2013), TenderLovingDoc (03-17-2013), Teona (03-01-2013), UltraLord (05-10-2013)




  #2  
Old 03-01-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

congratulations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 179
Threads: 16
Thanked 94 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Thanks for sharing it. I will have mine in ATL. in the week of March 18th. Did you have any case out of those 44 cases in FA? Did you have any trouble with their accent (southern accent)?
For neuro cases how focused was your PE? Can you give me an example? I'm a bit nervous about neuro/HEENT cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 319 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 329
Default out of FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdoc1 View Post
Thanks for sharing it. I will have mine in ATL. in the week of March 18th. Did you have any case out of those 44 cases in FA? Did you have any trouble with their accent (southern accent)?
For neuro cases how focused was your PE? Can you give me an example? I'm a bit nervous about neuro/HEENT cases.
oK, in Atlanta, you guys will have 8-9 cases from FA with modifications of course and 3-4 cases out, but ...you have to concentrate on mini, cases! Id recommend also to go through CSE videos again and review cases you've not seen in FA.....
Best of luck!
No accent in Atlanta center, I understood every SP perfect!
For neuro exam you can watch CSE video, I believe they have LOC case there, where will be full Neuro and full CV exams

Last edited by marina99; 03-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drsheepish (03-03-2013), stepdoc1 (03-02-2013)
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 179
Threads: 16
Thanked 94 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
oK, in Atlanta, you guys will have 8-9 cases from FA with modifications of course and 3-4 cases out, but ...you have to concentrate on minicases!Id recommend also to go through CSE videos again and review cases youve not seen in FA.....
Best of luck!
Thanks Marina. I noticed some cases from CSE are not among those 44 full cases of FA. Do you think if using CSE videos + 44 full cases from FA (not mini cases) I will be covering all 12 cases? How about Neuro cases? did you do them like the one in CSE video-she does have a pattern on how to do them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-01-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 319 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 329
Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdoc1 View Post
Thanks Marina. I noticed some cases from CSE are not among those 44 full cases of FA. Do you think if using CSE videos + 44 full cases from FA (not mini cases) I will be covering all 12 cases? How about Neuro cases? did you do them like the one in CSE video-she does have a pattern on how to do them...
Yes, you should cover 12 cases from Atlanta with FA( big cases) and CSE videos, but still, you have to be very comfortable with minicases, it helped me! For examle, case of any bleeding( hematuria, vaginal bleeding, easy bruising etc), I covered with Coagulation disorder, it was my 3 DDX,because I couldnt come up with anything else, was desperate, cuz I had only 2 DDX at first! But from minicases I remembered that and it gave me this idea!basically it saved me from just 2 DDX! so, pay attention to minicases!
The pattern of PE on CSE video for neuro and HEENT is more than enough, trust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drsheepish (03-03-2013), gokulramani (06-04-2016), stepdoc1 (03-01-2013)
  #7  
Old 03-04-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdoc1 View Post
Thanks for sharing it. I will have mine in ATL. in the week of March 18th. Did you have any case out of those 44 cases in FA? Did you have any trouble with their accent (southern accent)?
For neuro cases how focused was your PE? Can you give me an example? I'm a bit nervous about neuro/HEENT cases.
The cases were pretty straightforward and the FA 3rd or 4th edition will be sufficient. No one had accents that I could tell. For my neuro I only did the following
  • Cranial Nerves 2-12
  • Deep Tendon Reflexes (Upper/Lower Extremities)
  • Sensation (Upper/Lower Extremities). Used opposite ends of reflex hammer
  • Gait: Also checked Rhomberg and Babinski
  • Motor: Checked strength in upper and lower extremities
With some practice they can be done pretty quick, SPs will not interrupt you or impede you if you quickly roll through these tests. HEENT is specific based on what you are looking for. I checked a thyroid, and palpated lymph nodes. It depends on the SP complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
beka-CTS (03-04-2013), stepdoc1 (03-04-2013), TenderLovingDoc (03-17-2013)
  #8  
Old 03-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default hey

Congrats on being done.


I was wondering when we type DDX, do we have to including history and physical findings to relate to particular ddx ?

wat happens if you only come up with 1 or 2 facts from history examination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-08-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usukfriend View Post
Congrats on being done.


I was wondering when we type DDX, do we have to including history and physical findings to relate to particular ddx ?

wat happens if you only come up with 1 or 2 facts from history examination?
For a number of DDX, I only had 2-3 history findings and a lot of times 0 or only 1-2 physical findings. I did not make up findings that were not there or made little or no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 515
Threads: 88
Thanked 505 Times in 231 Posts
Reputation: 515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluesive View Post
Hello,

I never have posted here before, but I have been using this site for a couple of years now. I completed CS yesterday in Atlanta and just wanted to share a bit.

Prep Time: 2 weeks. One study partner and First Aid for CS. Went through all mini-cases and full case examples in the rear of the book at least twice. I focused on data gathering, and typing the patient note and less so on the physical exam.

  1. I used mnemonics because they are easier for me to remember. PAMHUGSFOS/PAMHITSFOS, LIQORAAA, and BINDDERS (peds cases) were used repeatedly and were helpful. I made up my own mnemonic for review of symptoms and was also helpful.
  2. I spent at least a minute outside of the room before encountering each patient. Why? I needed to calm down a bit, gather my thoughts, and think up differentials first. I also thought about relevant physical exams and part of my closure. Once my thoughts were in order, the patient encounter tended to go by smoothly and I got out of the room a lot quicker.
  3. Look at the vitals on the door prior to entering. Take note of elevated BP and fever. These are things that can be addressed in history, closure, or PN
  4. Guide the patient encounter on your terms. Spending a minute outside of the room allowed me to try to determine how the encounter would go and it made it easier to proceed with intro, history, physical, and closure. SPs were pretty compliant with whatever you were asking/doing as long as it was explained to them in a reasonable manner and with some confidence.
  5. I used gloves for each physical exam. While I was fumbling with them occasionally, I was talking to the patient regarding what physical exams were going to be done and if they had questions. I did focused physicals based on complaint and listened to heart/lung sounds on every patient
  6. Lighten up. One SP did not know the date on mini-mental status exam. I knew he knew the date and it was not part of the complaint so I whispered him the date and he had to laugh and then he repeated it.
  7. Practice typing. The faster you can type the PN, the more time you have to make revisions, rethink your differentials and take a breather before the next encounter.
  8. I screwed up here and there, however I finished every encounter (history+PE+closure) and PN in time. I missed some things here and there and made some incorrect diagnoses, but hopefully it was not too detrimental to my overall score.
Thanks for sharing your experience, this is really helpful for those preparing for the exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
CS-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Studying in Atlanta? usmleatl USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 02-24-2013 06:48 PM
what to take to CS exam in atlanta pshah514 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 07-28-2011 06:37 PM
Exchange Atlanta Aug 1 for later LA cranberriesfan USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 0 06-13-2011 09:43 AM
Atlanta Vs Houston ibur USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 03-26-2011 05:08 PM
ATLANTA or HOUSTON doctorvs USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 3 08-21-2010 08:42 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)