How Important is Typing in CS exam - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Star How Important is Typing in CS exam

Hi all,

I am preparing myself for the CS exam and I have heard that due to having very limited time, typing fast is extremely important. I am not a fast typist and i am worried that this will cause problems for me.

I just got my CK score of 267 and I got 256 in step 1.

Do you have any suggestions and if you could share your experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 05-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Practice typing PNs, type in caps, use abbreviations. That's a few of my suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

In my first attempt at the exam I had problems with the PNs. I'm using the assessment exam with csevdeos and it's helping me with my timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 43
Threads: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardsomal View Post
Practice typing PNs, type in caps, use abbreviations. That's a few of my suggestions.
Do not type in caps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-16-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,046 Posts
Reputation: 2106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by je355804 View Post
Do not type in caps...
Why? It's allowed.
__________________
A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.
“What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-16-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

People can type in both Caps and normal size or a just either caps or normal.. Dont worry both are all right.. stick to one method
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Novobiocin (05-16-2013), venky2600 (05-23-2013)
  #7  
Old 05-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 43
Threads: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novobiocin View Post
Why? It's allowed.
sure it's allowed... but as an IMG I would ask myself this? Does an AMG (who passes 92%+ of the time) write in all caps? You can guess the answer is no.

All typing in caps does is draws attention to the fact that you're somehow different...

While this may not overtly affect your score, it certainly may on some level cause the grader to think less of your ability.

If you perform perfectly, sure... you're fine. What if you're right on the border though? And the grader takes 1 mark of 50 away just because they think it looks unprofessional. Is it worth it then?

The point is, try to do as much as possible to perform the EXACT way the group of students who pass 92% of the time, and less like the group of students who pass 60% of the time (FMGs.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-16-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by je355804 View Post
sure it's allowed... but as an IMG I would ask myself this? Does an AMG (who passes 92%+ of the time) write in all caps? You can guess the answer is no.

All typing in caps does is draws attention to the fact that you're somehow different...

While this may not overtly affect your score, it certainly may on some level cause the grader to think less of your ability.

If you perform perfectly, sure... you're fine. What if you're right on the border though? And the grader takes 1 mark of 50 away just because they think it looks unprofessional. Is it worth it then?

The point is, try to do as much as possible to perform the EXACT way the group of students who pass 92% of the time, and less like the group of students who pass 60% of the time (FMGs.)
I typed like a normal person (both Caps and normal font size), and I know its allowed.. eventho I get your point I dont think people should freak out because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 43
Threads: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
I typed like a normal person (both Caps and normal font size), and I know its allowed.. eventho I get your point I dont think people should freak out because of that.
No definitely not a reason to freak out about if you've already done it. It's not a "mistake" per se. However, it is something I would avoid if I was yet to take the test...

And yeah I typed using caps/lowercase... I wasted probably 30+ seconds per note going back and deleting things I misspelled because I wasn't used to that damn bulky keyboard. That's another thing I would practice if I could do it all over again. I would have practiced typing on a regular keyboard rather than my laptop... way more different that I expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-17-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 319 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 329
Default struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by je355804 View Post
Do not type in caps...
You can type in caps, but it will show that you are struggling ( do you want them to think like that?)and it looks more professional when its typed regular way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-17-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasargad View Post
I am preparing myself for the CS exam and I have heard that due to having very limited time, typing fast is extremely important. I am not a fast typist and i am worried that this will cause problems for me.
The way I see it, you can either work on your typing speed (not sure how to do that, I guess practicing writing a lot of PNs would be the way?) or practice on focusing a very exact note while avoiding any unnecessary words. I wrote a lot because I didn't have a problem with time, so I felt like I did include some unnecessary things and I could have probably said it in a short and precise way, which would probably save time typing...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardsomal View Post
Practice typing PNs, type in caps, use abbreviations. That's a few of my suggestions.
I dont like typing in caps because it does not seem professional to me. I dont think it affects your score (the official usmle.org information says it does not!), but would you really do that in a hospital? I have never seen a note all in caps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
You can type in caps, but it will show that you are struggling ( do you want them to think like that?)and it looks more professional when its typed regular way
actually you are wrong.

In the end , the physician reading the note will read it all in caps.

the software transfers it.

is like the US visa. your application will be all in caps in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-19-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
In the end , the physician reading the note will read it all in caps.
the software transfers it.

Wow, I didn't know about that!
How did you hear about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 452
Threads: 11
Thanked 354 Times in 197 Posts
Reputation: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
Wow, I didn't know about that!
How did you hear about this?
Sounds like some made up BS to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 05-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Well, I never saw anything official saying that I couldn't use all caps. I read about it in someone's exam experience. It seems to help me get it done quicker because I can focus on typing the pn rather than hitting shift a bunch of times. It's all about what you feel comfortable with and what your personal skills may be. Do what you feel is best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 05-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 61
Threads: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default people

I like how the conversation was side tracked to CAPS or not!
but the main thing is if you feel your typing speed is slow , there is always room for improvement.
Try an online typing program! or try practicing patient notes as much as possible
__________________
The eye cannot see what the mind does not know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-23-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

There are free sites on the web that can teach you how to type. They're free so it doesn't hurt to try as many as you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Required Typing Speed for the CS Exam docsvmc USMLE Step 2 CS Recommended Threads 15 02-05-2015 09:34 AM
Touch typing or regular typing Cairo USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 1 01-29-2012 04:33 PM
Speeding Up my Typing for the CS Exam! ana11 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 01-12-2012 07:55 PM
CS Exam Date of changing to typing instead of writing geof1 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 4 02-04-2011 03:42 PM
Typing in CS exam Suniti85 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 6 05-02-2010 03:13 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)