Pt. Note Support - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 43
Threads: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default Pt. Note Support

For those that have passed or failed, how many supporting points of evidence would you say you provided for your main diagnosis (only really care about HPI support... everyone's PE will be different.)

Also, how much support did you provide for your secondary and tertiary Dx?

I think for my main Dx it was 3-6 supporting pieces of evidence... and for my 2nd/3rd it was anywhere from 2-3... often just copied and pasted from Dx 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 05-17-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 94 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by je355804 View Post
For those that have passed or failed, how many supporting points of evidence would you say you provided for your main diagnosis (only really care about HPI support... everyone's PE will be different.)

Also, how much support did you provide for your secondary and tertiary Dx?

I think for my main Dx it was 3-6 supporting pieces of evidence... and for my 2nd/3rd it was anywhere from 2-3... often just copied and pasted from Dx 1.
That's a good question. I would like to know the same. I had 3-4 points for supporting history. In most cases my phys exam was normal. Maybe 2-3 cases at most had some positive physical exam findings. I too copied supporting statements from Dx 1 for Dx 2 & 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-17-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 167
Threads: 37
Thanked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by je355804 View Post
For those that have passed or failed, how many supporting points of evidence would you say you provided for your main diagnosis (only really care about HPI support... everyone's PE will be different.)

Also, how much support did you provide for your secondary and tertiary Dx?

I think for my main Dx it was 3-6 supporting pieces of evidence... and for my 2nd/3rd it was anywhere from 2-3... often just copied and pasted from Dx 1.
In my exam:
The first DD i put 2 to 3 history supports and just in 2 cases i had physical support.

In 2nd and 3rd DD,i put 1 to 2 history supports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-18-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhs08 View Post
That's a good question. I would like to know the same. I had 3-4 points for supporting history. In most cases my phys exam was normal. Maybe 2-3 cases at most had some positive physical exam findings. I too copied supporting statements from Dx 1 for Dx 2 & 3.
Outcome: passed

For the first Ddx, if the case was easy and clear cut.. for the HPI I put 4 to 5 and physical exam 2 to 3 pertinent findings.

for the 2nd a third diagnosis I put from 2 to 3 in HPI and 1 to 2 in PE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-18-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Took mine end of February: passed.

For the first DDx I had maybe 3-4 from HPI, and 2-3 from physical findings
The second and third DDx, I copied and paste quite a lot from the first, adding or take away wherever needed.

If you have 7-8 or more supporting findings from the HPI and PE, that's plenty... but I wouldn't try to eek out every little detail. If you are spending more than 3-4 seconds to think of the next supported finding, you are wasting time. Just make sure you have a good written HPI, because that should be enough in coming to a diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-18-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 43
Threads: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatedan76 View Post
Took mine end of February: passed.

For the first DDx I had maybe 3-4 from HPI, and 2-3 from physical findings
The second and third DDx, I copied and paste quite a lot from the first, adding or take away wherever needed.

If you have 7-8 or more supporting findings from the HPI and PE, that's plenty... but I wouldn't try to eek out every little detail. If you are spending more than 3-4 seconds to think of the next supported finding, you are wasting time. Just make sure you have a good written HPI, because that should be enough in coming to a diagnosis.
Hmm, often I couldn't list anything in PE because all findings were negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-18-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by je355804 View Post
Hmm, often I couldn't list anything in PE because all findings were negative.
Yes, I did have a few cases where there were no positive findings on PE. In those cases, I listed pertinent negatives, or pertinent vitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need emotional support smallneve USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-11-2013 11:23 AM
Tapatalk support npktun Members Feedback 1 03-31-2013 08:19 PM
Patient Age and Vitals to support DDx! drsurge USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 1 07-15-2012 12:04 PM
Would appreciate some support meanmr.mustard IMG Residency Match Forum 1 05-02-2011 04:47 PM
Am I doing good? I need your support. Haisook USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 09-14-2010 11:22 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)