DD history points - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 29
Threads: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Question DD history points

Hello Everyone
Quick question, how many history points we need to put for the DD. Will One history point will work for one DD or we need to put 3 points.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 44
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

better to fill all the 3 boxes if you have time.
but i know most of us can't do that due to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 29
Threads: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Thanks, I also checked the website, which says if you put 2 DD and 2 points each its sufficient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,047 Posts
Reputation: 2108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmalik007 View Post
Thanks, I also checked the website, which says if you put 2 DD and 2 points each its sufficient
Which website says that?
Can you please post a link?
__________________
A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.
“What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 29
Threads: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-2-cs/cs-info-manual.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,047 Posts
Reputation: 2108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmalik007 View Post
But where does it says "if you put 2 DD and 2 points each its sufficient" ?
__________________
A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.
“What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 29
Threads: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

please check page 16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ifss (06-09-2013)
  #8  
Old 06-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,047 Posts
Reputation: 2108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmalik007 View Post
please check page 16
But it doesn't say that it is acceptable to write only two points in favor of the a diagnosis under history/physical exam to support a diagnosis which was the original question.

Quote:
Note that only two diagnoses are listed, and only two studies are ordered under the Diagnostic Studies section; this is acceptable

__________________
A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.
“What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-09-2013
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 363 Times in 202 Posts
Reputation: 373
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novobiocin View Post
But it doesn't say that it is acceptable to write only two points in favor of the a diagnosis under history/physical exam to support a diagnosis which was the original question.


[/FONT]
In Kaplan core cases (new edition) they put 1 to 3 DDX, and sometimes they write only one point from history and none in PE. Same in UW... I don't know what to think

I am writing at least 3 points for my primary DDX and at least one for my secondary DDX.
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-09-2013
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 363 Times in 202 Posts
Reputation: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novobiocin View Post
But it doesn't say that it is acceptable to write only two points in favor of the a diagnosis under history/physical exam to support a diagnosis which was the original question.


[/FONT]

Page 16: They say to write the points from history and PE if present, so if you find at least one pice of info from the history... Write it down but don't create history or PE. If you write things within your DDX options but didn't within your History, it may look like if you are making it up.
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (06-09-2013)
  #11  
Old 06-09-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Thumbs Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mexito View Post
Page 16: They say to write the points from history and PE if present, so if you find at least one pice of info from the history... Write it down but don't create history or PE. If you write things within your DDX options but didn't within your History, it may look like if you are making it up.
This is true but if you practice well enough and you know what you are doing it is almost virtually impossible you will only put 2 DDx and only put one line of history and physical exam findings... specially if you are fresh from CK..

They are putting that to say IT IS ACCEPTABLE IF you only find 1 or 2 history/PE findings ONLY AFTER careful and well focused History and PE..
Dont even dare to think that that is the way to go on the exam.. ICE is really tough now and you better give your best when filling those patient notes (this goes not only to you mexito but to everyone else)

Are you guys slow typers? guess what that is your problem and you better fix it or find a way to fill that PN as much as you can because if not the odds of failing skyrocket.

I spoke to several AMG's and IMG's who passed the exam and they at least put 3 DDx in 10 out of the 12 cases.. IN my exam ONLY 1 case I put 2 DDx.. the rest I put 3 DDx.

Your first DDx if it is clear cut and you did a good history you will put even more than 3 History findings and PE believe me on that.

Dont read everything you find on the net literally, the word "acceptable" doesnt mean"enough to pass" it just means it is not incorrect... you gotta read between the lines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (06-09-2013), Dr. Mexito (06-09-2013), Nini (02-05-2014), Novobiocin (06-10-2013), shima (06-09-2013)
  #12  
Old 06-09-2013
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 363 Times in 202 Posts
Reputation: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
This is true but if you practice well enough and you know what you are doing it is almost virtually impossible you will only put 2 DDx and only put one line of history and physical exam findings... specially if you are fresh from CK..

They are putting that to say IT IS ACCEPTABLE IF you only find 1 or 2 history/PE findings ONLY AFTER careful and well focused History and PE..
Dont even dare to think that that is the way to go on the exam.. ICE is really tough now and you better give your best when filling those patient notes (this goes not only to you mexito but to everyone else)

Are you guys slow typers? guess what that is your problem and you better fix it or find a way to fill that PN as much as you can because if not the odds of failing skyrocket.

I spoke to several AMG's and IMG's who passed the exam and they at least put 3 DDx in 10 out of the 12 cases.. IN my exam ONLY 1 case I put 2 DDx.. the rest I put 3 DDx.

Your first DDx if it is clear cut and you did a good history you will put even more than 3 History findings and PE believe me on that.

Dont read everything you find on the net literally, the word "acceptable" doesnt mean"enough to pass" it just means it is not incorrect... you gotta read between the lines.

I guess is not much of a problem to get 3 DDx in a case (please Señor, don't get me wrong). However, for the DDX that are not my primary DX, I found it more difficult to fill out more than 3 points in Hx and PE. I usually write 1-2 points for Hx (average) and 1-2 in PE. How many points of Hx and PE did you write for your secondary DDx?

I guess the topic here was what's the minimun safe amount of points one should write in Hx and PE for each DDX. Since this is a really though question to answer accurately, and we are basing our answers in suppositions (because USMLE is not being specific here). I guess the best advice would be: put 3 DDX; for your 1st DDX write at least 3 points for Hx and PE; for the rest, write at least 2 Hx and PE points (negative and positive). Well, at least this is what I am doing and what I am going to do in my exam.
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-10-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mexito View Post
I guess is not much of a problem to get 3 DDx in a case (please Señor, don't get me wrong). However, for the DDX that are not my primary DX, I found it more difficult to fill out more than 3 points in Hx and PE. I usually write 1-2 points for Hx (average) and 1-2 in PE. How many points of Hx and PE did you write for your secondary DDx?

I guess the topic here was what's the minimun safe amount of points one should write in Hx and PE for each DDX. Since this is a really though question to answer accurately, and we are basing our answers in suppositions (because USMLE is not being specific here). I guess the best advice would be: put 3 DDX; for your 1st DDX write at least 3 points for Hx and PE; for the rest, write at least 2 Hx and PE points (negative and positive). Well, at least this is what I am doing and what I am going to do in my exam.
This sounds perfectly fine with this in mind I dont doubt you will pass.

What I wrote previously is just to warn you guys not to get overconfident on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. Mexito (06-10-2013)



Reply

Tags
CS-DDx, Patient-Note

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Points To Get You Ready! donofitaly USMLE Step 1 Forum 33 09-29-2016 11:26 AM
Important points about PNH Dr.Lacune USMLE Step 1 Bits & Pieces 0 07-30-2012 01:43 PM
Important Points in CK Prep svmle USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 18 07-15-2012 09:23 AM
Demonstration of 11 Tender Points! scopusmount USMLE Step 1 Forum 18 01-09-2012 08:29 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)