Do we have to do Heart, Lung and ABD in every case - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Hammer and Otoscope Do we have to do Heart, Lung and ABD in every case

i noticed FA does Heart Lung in every case and some cases ABD.

do we do heart lung in ever case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 06-23-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,867
Threads: 149
Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,047 Posts
Reputation: 2108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
i noticed FA does Heart Lung in every case and some cases ABD.

do we do heart lung in ever case
No, just do focused History & PE depending on the CC.
__________________
A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.
“What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (06-23-2013)
  #3  
Old 06-23-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 623
Threads: 111
Thanked 424 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 434
Default

Yes we need to do focused examination but if we have time , also do heart and lung exam, you will get extra points for that.I heard there is one point for heart and one point for lung examination.For example,at 5 min announcement ,you are already in the middle of examination , then you can do heart and lung exam , otherwise just do focused PE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (06-23-2013)
  #4  
Old 06-23-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknz View Post
Yes we need to do focused examination but if we have time , also do heart and lung exam, you will get extra points for that.I heard there is one point for heart and one point for lung examination.For example,at 5 min announcement ,you are already in the middle of examination , then you can do heart and lung exam , otherwise just do focused PE.
I think That changed.
I am not sure.
I also read, you do not get point for anything extra.

Bloody urine [why do heart and lung]
wrist pain [ why do heart and lung]
knee pain, hip pain [why do heart and lung]

but I see about other cases where heart and lung is 2nd cases, you mught get extra point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (06-23-2013)
  #5  
Old 06-23-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 273 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 283
Default

i think it will depend what you are comfortable with and how you can manage your time. I have seen ppl passing by skipping it but then if it puts any doubt in your mind , you can just auscultate chest from back and heart sounds, but only if time permits you. By the way Shima....your english seems to have improved
Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
I think That changed.
I am not sure.
I also read, you do not get point for anything extra.

Bloody urine [why do heart and lung]
wrist pain [ why do heart and lung]
knee pain, hip pain [why do heart and lung]

but I see about other cases where heart and lung is 2nd cases, you mught get extra point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (06-23-2013)
  #6  
Old 06-23-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
i think it will depend what you are comfortable with and how you can manage your time. I have seen ppl passing by skipping it but then if it puts any doubt in your mind , you can just auscultate chest from back and heart sounds, but only if time permits you. By the way Shima....your english seems to have improved
classes have been working

thank to my good teachers and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kdm0101 (06-23-2013), XpaezX (06-23-2013)
  #7  
Old 06-23-2013
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

I do agree with everything posted here, If you have extra time and want to have a better PN, then by all means perform Chest and Cardiac exam..

However remember what I have been saying for months now.. if there is anything that can be cut short in the event you are running out of time that is the PE, so better to practice and master everything to the tinniest detail so that you can feel relaxed and enjoy

I did Cardiac and chest perhaps in 8 out of 12 encounters, just because I had time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (06-23-2013), kdm0101 (06-23-2013), shima (06-23-2013)
  #8  
Old 06-23-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
I do agree with everything posted here, If you have extra time and want to have a better PN, then by all means perform Chest and Cardiac exam..

However remember what I have been saying for months now.. if there is anything that can be cut short in the event you are running out of time that is the PE, so better to practice and master everything to the tinniest detail so that you can feel relaxed and enjoy

I did Cardiac and chest perhaps in 8 out of 12 encounters, just because I had time
I understand, thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (06-23-2013)



Reply

Tags
CS-Physical-Exam

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No lung cancer in MTB! Renaissance USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 11-11-2012 11:22 AM
case of lung cancer K06100 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 08-16-2012 11:26 PM
Lung infection still there achistikbenny USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 02-28-2012 01:54 PM
Next step in the management of this heart case! Ace3 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 07-08-2011 09:03 AM
SCC of the Lung with more symptoms Yallah USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 04-16-2010 10:02 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)