How many times should you read First Aid for CS? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
First Aid How many times should you read First Aid for CS?

Hello everyone.
The question I have is how many times should you read first aid for CS until you are ready to practice cases/ do the exam? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 08-14-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Once is enough. DO NOT read the cases before you practice them. Your first time reading them should be when you actually practice them, or you will already know them and know what to ask for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (08-15-2013)
  #3  
Old 08-15-2013
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 370 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 380
Help

Above x3 times I would say
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (08-15-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 08-17-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 43
Threads: 3
Thanked 48 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 58
Search Umm

Read the first chapters (theoretical part) just once. The mini cases all the times you can. Don't read the practice cases... PRACTICE all of them with your study partner(s), and review them only after the actual practice. Now, don't stick to literally to the FA format 'cause it was made to the old CS exam version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
khan89 (08-29-2013), water (08-17-2013)
  #5  
Old 08-17-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezary View Post
Read the first chapters (theoretical part) just once. The mini cases all the times you can. Don't read the practice cases... PRACTICE all of them with your study partner(s), and review them only after the actual practice. Now, don't stick to literally to the FA format 'cause it was made to the old CS exam version.

I totally agree, great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sezary (08-20-2013), water (08-17-2013)
  #6  
Old 08-17-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

So does reading the fa multiple times while practicing make a difference? I'm reading the fa and watching case videos and practicing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-17-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdben View Post
So does reading the fa multiple times while practicing make a difference? I'm reading the fa and watching case videos and practicing.
I don't know.
Just don't read the cases before you practice them, otherwise you will know what to focus on and actually feel better than you are because you are prepared... it is not about knowing the FA cases, it is about getting practice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (08-17-2013)
  #8  
Old 08-18-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 19
Threads: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default how many times you need to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Hello everyone.
The question I have is how many times should you read first aid for CS until you are ready to practice cases/ do the exam? Thanks in advance.
till you die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
rg99 (02-03-2014), water (08-18-2013)
  #9  
Old 08-18-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Thank you all for your useful answers. I have a problem. I have already read the questions needed to be asked, but not the answers to the qestions. How is this going to affect me? (Since I should read it only after practicing it first). What can I do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-18-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 226
Threads: 15
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 102
Default

have you done any video course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (08-29-2013)
  #11  
Old 08-18-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Thank you all for your useful answers. I have a problem. I have already read the questions needed to be asked, but not the answers to the qestions. How is this going to affect me? (Since I should read it only after practicing it first). What can I do about it?
Well it was not the best idea but I am assuming you will forget some of those questions. Just go ahead and practice. You will probably do a little better than you would since you know what to ask in which case.
Also, maybe get another book (eg. the new kaplan one) so you can practice cases without knowing what they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (08-29-2013)
  #12  
Old 08-29-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Albert View Post
have you done any video course?
Yes I watched the CSE videos. They were useful. Thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 08-29-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Unhappy CS prep

Hi I am preparing CS....I am reading the FA without a study partner for now but i will find a study partner after i give a single read of FA and learn a few Mnemonics...I have a few questions
1-I hv read all the mini cases and now i hv started to read practice cases...I am not able to understand that how will i have time to do all physical exams?..like in FA for a case of sore throat in checklist they hv given head and neck, CV exam, Pulmonary exam, Abdominal exam and skin and lymph node exam.
2-also with just one symptom written on doorway information...how can i just focus my questions to three DDs?..
I am a bit confused here...need help!!

Can anyone tell me wht to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 08-29-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Correct Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezary View Post
Read the first chapters (theoretical part) just once. The mini cases all the times you can. Don't read the practice cases... PRACTICE all of them with your study partner(s), and review them only after the actual practice. Now, don't stick to literally to the FA format 'cause it was made to the old CS exam version.
If anyone give a brief strategy to how read the FA and what to cram and what to practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 08-29-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan89 View Post
Hi I am preparing CS....I am reading the FA without a study partner for now but i will find a study partner after i give a single read of FA and learn a few Mnemonics...I have a few questions
1-I hv read all the mini cases and now i hv started to read practice cases...I am not able to understand that how will i have time to do all physical exams?..like in FA for a case of sore throat in checklist they hv given head and neck, CV exam, Pulmonary exam, Abdominal exam and skin and lymph node exam.
2-also with just one symptom written on doorway information...how can i just focus my questions to three DDs?..
I am a bit confused here...need help!!

Can anyone tell me wht to do?
I honestly think one of the main reasons why many people fail is because they read the cases in FA as if it is something they should study.
DO NOT read the cases! The first time you hear them should be when you practice. It is not about knowing these cases, they are just a way to practice what you learned from the general sections and from the mini cases, to learn about time management, and so on.
I don't think it is very wise to read those cases before you practice them.
Like I said, you don't need to know them, they are merely a way for you to practice what you learned and to get ready for the actual exam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
khan89 (08-29-2013), Laurentiu (02-02-2014), nunnally (09-28-2013), water (08-31-2013)



  #16  
Old 08-29-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan89 View Post
2-also with just one symptom written on doorway information...how can i just focus my questions to three DDs?..
Your questions will lead you to just three DDx. The doorway info is always general and sometimes wrong, so I never wrote down 3 DDx on the board, I just went in and started my history taking and the patient would lead me to the differentials. Just like in real life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
khan89 (08-29-2013), Laurentiu (02-02-2014), water (08-31-2013)
  #17  
Old 08-29-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
Your questions will lead you to just three DDx. The doorway info is always general and sometimes wrong, so I never wrote down 3 DDx on the board, I just went in and started my history taking and the patient would lead me to the differentials. Just like in real life!
also i want to know that do we have prepare some theory for each case or not?
also about the eye contact, do we constantly need to maintain while taking history as we have to note points from history at same time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 08-29-2013
Highlander's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 111
Threads: 15
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Hello everyone.
The question I have is how many times should you read first aid for CS until you are ready to practice cases/ do the exam? Thanks in advance.
Its better if you could go through it about 2-3 times, so that you are well versed with the possible cases you will encounter. But make sure you practice all the 40 something cases of the FA. Also practice the mini cases, since it will help you lot in making differential diagnosis and appropriate investigations. For me the mini cases helped a lot during the patient encounter to narrow down my questions and also while typing out the patient note. All the best, stay cool during the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (08-31-2013)
  #19  
Old 09-05-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
Its better if you could go through it about 2-3 times, so that you are well versed with the possible cases you will encounter. But make sure you practice all the 40 something cases of the FA. Also practice the mini cases, since it will help you lot in making differential diagnosis and appropriate investigations. For me the mini cases helped a lot during the patient encounter to narrow down my questions and also while typing out the patient note. All the best, stay cool during the test.
Thanks. Do you have to practice each mini case or just the headings in the mini cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 09-05-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Hello everyone.
The question I have is how many times should you read first aid for CS until you are ready to practice cases/ do the exam? Thanks in advance.
Read the cases once, but practice each one at least twice. Make sure you are comfortable with typing your note in ten minutes. Get yourself a stopwatch or use your smartphone and practice,your hx taking , p.e. counseling and closing each case. Make sure you review the special cases.

You can pm me and I'll give you a list of special cases for you to review.

High regards,

Dr. Stavros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.farah (09-25-2013), ijam (09-30-2013), water (09-16-2013)
  #21  
Old 09-15-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default twice

I would read the First Aid completely through, then the second time work through them as you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (09-16-2013)
  #22  
Old 09-16-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 515
Threads: 88
Thanked 508 Times in 232 Posts
Reputation: 518
Default

Until you feel very comfortable with these cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (09-16-2013)
  #23  
Old 09-19-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

maybe twice, it doesnt really take too long to read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (09-20-2013)
  #24  
Old 02-02-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 95
Threads: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 87
Default special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.stavros View Post
Read the cases once, but practice each one at least twice. Make sure you are comfortable with typing your note in ten minutes. Get yourself a stopwatch or use your smartphone and practice,your hx taking , p.e. counseling and closing each case. Make sure you review the special cases.

You can pm me and I'll give you a list of special cases for you to review.

High regards,

Dr. Stavros
Can you provide the special cases .
I just fail the CS in ICE part only .
I am discouraged and I need some advise
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
CS-Preparation, First-Aid, USMLE-Books

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many times should we read FA for Step 1 prep? sohni USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 8 05-03-2016 11:32 AM
How many times can someone take cs? A.D.A.M USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 0 04-21-2013 01:56 PM
How many times do you have to read MTB 2? water USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 13 03-27-2013 11:33 AM
Toxicology Part of Pharmacology, To read or Not to read kundra USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 02-05-2011 06:16 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)