My terrible USMLE Step 2 CS Experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 208
Threads: 21
Thanked 144 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 154
Experiences My terrible USMLE Step 2 CS Experience

First of all let me say thank you for all the support i got here , thank you guys for your patience and encouraging words .

Today i received my score and i PASSED! , 1st attempt .

To tell you all the truth i was SURE i failed .

I took my test on Atlanta (great center btw and great patients , Atlanta Country Inn south is literally the frontyard of the center) 3 months ago and i had this terrible feeling i failed.

Im a IMG so i studied a lot , aprox 6 weeks , using only First Aid . I did all the big cases at least twice and we did a lot of made up cases using the mini cases .

I encourage everyone to learn every single mini case and think what kind of questions would you do to reach THAT diagnosis . Dont improvise the day of the exam! , this is what SAVED ME!@ .

Last and not least you should organize the Physical examination by Chief complaint . For example : If i had a Neuro case , i had a sequence memorized to do the complete Neuro in the fastest time possible. Same thing for cardio , same thing for Mental illness , etc.

I practiced that during the last few days and i think it helped me a lot since i ask a lot of random useless questions .

The day of the exam was terrible

I never got particularly nervous but i forgot some key things :
I didnt counsel in all the cases , i didnt ask how the problem was affecting the patient , i didnt ask to any of my patients if they had any other questions .

My advice would be : counsel INSTANTLY! , ask if they have any questions while putting the gloves/washing and ask how the problem is affecting them at the beginning of the case .

I ran out of time in at least 8 out of the 12 cases . This is pretty serious **** , i made lots of terrible CIS errors and i STILL MANAGED TO PASS (only thing i had borderline was my CIS )

Other mistakes : i failed to do critical PE maneuvers in at least 3 cases , i failed to 'counsel' a patient miserably (i think she was legit mad at me by the end) , i forgot to write some stuff in my PNs , missed at least 3-4 diagnosis but probably got close enough.


I dont regret studying for 6 weeks and i advise all IMGs to do so btw . Better be safe than sorry , this exam is harder than ever.

All the cases i encountered were in some form or similar form in the First Aid book .

IF anyone has any other questions ill be glad to answer them! .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
currentofinjury (10-17-2013), exudate (05-21-2014), MIZO105 (07-23-2014), nsesereso (10-09-2013), Oldgradandmom (02-07-2014), rg99 (01-23-2014), ufot (10-09-2013), water (10-10-2013)




  #2  
Old 10-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

First of all congratulations

Did you use any other book apart from FA.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-09-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 208
Threads: 21
Thanked 144 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 154
Default

i read part of the Kaplan Complex cases book 1 or 2 days before the exam , not really the cases themselves just some guidelines they had . Its more IMG friendly than the FA , but i like the format of the FA cases more than the Kaplan book .

Did it help? im not sure , i dont think it hurt .

For most people i think The FA is enough .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (10-09-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 10-10-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Congratulations on passing!! Can you suggest a way we can practice/study the mini cases giving an example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-10-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 208
Threads: 21
Thanked 144 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Congratulations on passing!! Can you suggest a way we can practice/study the mini cases giving an example?
After you master the big cases, you should have an idea about how they work.

What my friends and I did was take a chief complaint : for example headache, and change it up using the information from the short mini case.

Instead of doing a migraine case like in the big case, we did cluster or meningitis, or S.A. H.

We did the same thing all the common chief complaints and even changed the wording a bit, so that one would have ti improvise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (10-10-2013)
  #6  
Old 10-17-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 8
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Congratulations!! I have to retake this test and I was thinking of Atlanta, but I heard SPs there are mostly black people with a difficult accent. Is this true??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-17-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Star Emad

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenby View Post
First of all let me say thank you for all the support i got here , thank you guys for your patience and encouraging words .

Today i received my score and i PASSED! , 1st attempt .

To tell you all the truth i was SURE i failed .

I took my test on Atlanta (great center btw and great patients , Atlanta Country Inn south is literally the frontyard of the center) 3 months ago and i had this terrible feeling i failed.

Im a IMG so i studied a lot , aprox 6 weeks , using only First Aid . I did all the big cases at least twice and we did a lot of made up cases using the mini cases .

I encourage everyone to learn every single mini case and think what kind of questions would you do to reach THAT diagnosis . Dont improvise the day of the exam! , this is what SAVED ME!@ .

Last and not least you should organize the Physical examination by Chief complaint . For example : If i had a Neuro case , i had a sequence memorized to do the complete Neuro in the fastest time possible. Same thing for cardio , same thing for Mental illness , etc.

I practiced that during the last few days and i think it helped me a lot since i ask a lot of random useless questions .

The day of the exam was terrible

I never got particularly nervous but i forgot some key things :
I didnt counsel in all the cases , i didnt ask how the problem was affecting the patient , i didnt ask to any of my patients if they had any other questions .

My advice would be : counsel INSTANTLY! , ask if they have any questions while putting the gloves/washing and ask how the problem is affecting them at the beginning of the case .

I ran out of time in at least 8 out of the 12 cases . This is pretty serious **** , i made lots of terrible CIS errors and i STILL MANAGED TO PASS (only thing i had borderline was my CIS )

Other mistakes : i failed to do critical PE maneuvers in at least 3 cases , i failed to 'counsel' a patient miserably (i think she was legit mad at me by the end) , i forgot to write some stuff in my PNs , missed at least 3-4 diagnosis but probably got close enough.


I dont regret studying for 6 weeks and i advise all IMGs to do so btw . Better be safe than sorry , this exam is harder than ever.

All the cases i encountered were in some form or similar form in the First Aid book .

IF anyone has any other questions ill be glad to answer them! .
I Got my exam in philadelphia from 19 July And till now I didnt recieved the reuselt

Last edited by emad; 10-17-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drivenby (10-17-2013)
  #8  
Old 10-17-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 208
Threads: 21
Thanked 144 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentofinjury View Post
Congratulations!! I have to retake this test and I was thinking of Atlanta, but I heard SPs there are mostly black people with a difficult accent. Is this true??

My English is pretty good but from what I recall, only 1 sp had a difficult accent.

You gotta keep in mind these guys are actors, they know it's a test.

On the streets is different, there's a really weird accent in Atlanta indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
CS-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My USMLE Step 1 Experience: 261/99 neuromat USMLE Step 1 Forum 29 09-12-2016 03:23 PM
Usmle Step 1 Experience = 211 rulz USMLE Step 1 Forum 29 06-08-2016 10:29 AM
Feeling terrible, need advice!! JTF040206 USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 06-21-2013 07:39 PM
My USMLE Step 1 Experience Seetal USMLE Step 1 Forum 17 08-11-2011 11:00 AM
Terrible Physio Performance and Getting Lost! priya1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 02-05-2011 04:32 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)