Just did my CS and I am Freaking Out! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Unhappy Just did my CS and I am Freaking Out!

hey guys..i just took my cs exam and i keep thinking about the mistakes i made over and over again. Feeling soo depressed. I was only able to get 2-3 hours of sleep due to anxiety and it really messed me up. I studied alot for this exam but completely blanked out during my encounters as my nerves kicked in real bad. Here are the mistakes I've made. I am sure i made many more but this is what i was able to recall! pleaase give me an honest answer!!

1) forgot to ask occupation. I wrote down 3 diagnosis but i don't think they were most likely ones.

2) forgot to ask menstrual history and it was very pertinent

3) alcoholic guy forgot to council on alcohol intake and smoking. Wrote down three diagnosis but again wasn't sure if they were the most likely diagnosis (had a brain fart). On note i wrote pt presents with LOC when his CC was seizures:

4) fine

5) fine

6) Messed up pts name but clarified it upon encounter.

7)completely blanked out on history questions didn't even ask heat/cold intolerance although it was pertinent; however tried not to stay silent and just asked whatever came to my head. Didn't do a proper PE as i felt i would run out of time.

8)forgot to ask about illicit drugs and smoking

9) fine

10) messed up challenging ques

11) fine

12) fine


Ahh freaking out...any input will be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tamta (02-08-2014)




  #2  
Old 11-27-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

First off, no one will be able to tell you if you passed or failed. The only way to find out is to wait, and I know the wait is long and it sucks.
However, your mistakes dont seem too bad to me. I think you have a good chance of passing.
Many people overestimate or underestimate their mistakes. Seems to me like you might be overestimating. How were your notes? were you able to finish all of them?

Try not to think about the exam for now - there is no point in trying to figure out if you will pass. If possible, distract yourself with something else and try not to "lose" this time until you find out your score because you are not able to focus on anything else.
Good luck!!
__________________
Step1 [ ], Step 2CK [ ], Step 2 CS [Pass first attempt], Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ayman Qasrawi (02-18-2014), medstar (11-27-2013), tamta (02-08-2014)
  #3  
Old 11-27-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Hey Val7,

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I completely understand what your saying. Trying to work on not thinking about the exam, but its so hard lol!!

All my notes were complete. I was able to provide supporting for all my diagnosis but some of my diagnosis were way off, especially with one pt. His BP was super elevated and I wrote as my differential...Orthostatic hypotension due to dehydration LOL (i dont no what i was thinking!!) and I am sure i made plenty more mistakes but i just cant recall them at the moment.

Ahh but your right, i gotta work on not thinking about this exam. Just the wait is a killer. I still have 2 more months. Dont no how I will do it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tamta (02-08-2014)
  #4  
Old 11-27-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medstar View Post
Hey Val7,

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I completely understand what your saying. Trying to work on not thinking about the exam, but its so hard lol!!

All my notes were complete. I was able to provide supporting for all my diagnosis but some of my diagnosis were way off, especially with one pt. His BP was super elevated and I wrote as my differential...Orthostatic hypotension due to dehydration LOL (i dont no what i was thinking!!) and I am sure i made plenty more mistakes but i just cant recall them at the moment.

Ahh but your right, i gotta work on not thinking about this exam. Just the wait is a killer. I still have 2 more months. Dont no how I will do it!!

As for the diagnoses, I dont think it matters that much if you made the right diagnosis, from what I heard. Of course you dont want to be completely off, but I think if there were a few that were not quite the most logical, you should be ok, but this is just my thoughts, and I am not NBME so I cannot promise anything - wish I could!
The wait is terrible. I am sure you have something you could focus on (maybe study for 2 ck or something) so try doing that and try forgetting about your upcoming results! I was quite successful in not thinking about my test at all until I got the results, and it would not have made a difference if I would have stressed about it every day...
Hope you can do the same!!
__________________
Step1 [ ], Step 2CK [ ], Step 2 CS [Pass first attempt], Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
medstar (11-27-2013)
  #5  
Old 12-10-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default hope you will pass

hope you will pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
medstar (12-11-2013)
  #6  
Old 12-10-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default About patient note

Dear friends ,
I am extremely scared for my CS result . I could not complete one of the patient notes . I have made a few mistakes here and there .I am not even bad at typing . But i could just write 1 DD and then time was up. Has anyone had a similar experience earlier and passed the CS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-29-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Hey guys I wanted to thank you all for the support you provided for me during this long wait for the CS exam. Just wanted to let you know that I passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-29-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstar View Post
Dear friends ,
I am extremely scared for my CS result . I could not complete one of the patient notes . I have made a few mistakes here and there .I am not even bad at typing . But i could just write 1 DD and then time was up. Has anyone had a similar experience earlier and passed the CS.
@star star I made aalot more mistakes then you andI passed. I'm sure you will be fine. Your mistakes dont seem major to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-29-2014
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medstar View Post
Hey guys I wanted to thank you all for the support you provided for me during this long wait for the CS exam. Just wanted to let you know that I passed.
awesome, great to hear it! Congratulations
__________________
Step1 [ ], Step 2CK [ ], Step 2 CS [Pass first attempt], Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
medstar (02-04-2014)
  #10  
Old 01-31-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 36
Threads: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Congrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
medstar (02-04-2014)
  #11  
Old 02-01-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default CS Exam

Well...there is no way to tell how they mark the exam.Last Wednesday i got my result and i passed so i m gonna tell u what were my mistakes and you can make a comparison.

I forgot to ask about family Hx and occupation in many cases.

In one station the SP asked me a question and i had no clue what to tell her so she asked again and again and i did not answer !!!

In one case, i had no idea what the patient had...so i ended up guessing the DDx.

I forgot to do some parts of the physical examinations in many stations and they were highly related to the case.

I kept asking the same questions in some cases.

In one case i asked everything i know and all the replies were negative so i ended up asking if there is anything that can be related to the symptoms.

i forgot to ask the patient to repeat the words i asked to be memorized for the mini mental examination.

i missed some signs in physical examination.

i forgot to wash my hands in one case as i was in a hurry

Many DDx were only backed up by one symptom or sign !!!

I did not approach all the patients from their right side during physical examination.

I am sure i made many spelling mistakes as i had no time to check what i typed.

And i passed...So do not worry and Congrats )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tamta (02-08-2014)
  #12  
Old 02-04-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Congratz on passing!!!! i cant thank all the members on this forum enough. Everyone helped me calm my nerves!!! I hope everyone writing this exam or waiting on the results will all pass! AMEEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 02-04-2014
exudate's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 171
Threads: 16
Thanked 97 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 107
Default

whre did u guys take ur exam? what site? thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 02-17-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 15
Unhappy My USMLE Step 2 CS Hoston Experience.

Hello to everybody, Im new at this forum.
I did my Step 2 CS on Houston last friday and I felt it went wrong...

Here are some of my mistakes:
1. Forgot abdominal examination in 2 important cases.
2. Forgot full neurological examination in 3 important cases.
3. I was nervous and I hesitated talking (My english is good, but I didŽnt it feel well).
4. I totally messed up in a telephone case
5. Forgot alleviating/aggravating factors in two cases at the beggining (due to nervousness)

What I did good:
1. Closure in all patients
2. Asked for permission to examinee and explained them what was I going to perform.
3. Never ran out of time ( Actually I was always out in 8-12 minutes)
4. Did in all almost every patients PAMHUGSFOSS
5. Tried to help everyone to sit/recline, etc.
6. Offered glass of water when needed.
7. Some good differential diagnosis I guess...

Well, some points that I remember right now, but mistakes keep coming to my mind...
I will start studyin' for my Step 2 CK...232 in Step 1...
I would really appreciate your opinion because I really felt it went wrong...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ayman Qasrawi (02-18-2014)
  #15  
Old 03-22-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default cs exam....too many mistakes....somebody tell me if i was good enuf

I gave my cs exam in yesterday and im worried that ive done really bad on it...i practiced so hard but dont know what happened....in 3 cases i did not know what to write in differentials.
I forgot to pull out the leg rest in two encounters for abd exam....but i did help them sit up or lie down and tried to show empathy

Forgot to ask fh in a patient whr it was imp....forgot to document some stuff that i had askes on my patient note...i did counsel and answer challenging qs the best way i could.always wore gloves and introduced myself...had problem in understanding one patient so asked her to repeat her problems again while i want to record it on my blue scrap paper but thabked her again n again for helping me understand her better and she was all smiles on that...
Wrote appetite decresed in a patient whr it was increased...dnt know what i was thinking did not forget to mention rectal or pelvic exam...always ciunselled on.smoking and drugs n alcohol. Tried to do relevant exam and if something was painful for patient i apologized abd told them lets leave any painful manuvers..
Will i pass?? Did somebody do similar mistakes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-25-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 15
Correct Answer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM90 View Post
Hello to everybody, Im new at this forum.
I did my Step 2 CS on Houston last friday and I felt it went wrong...

Here are some of my mistakes:
1. Forgot abdominal examination in 2 important cases.
2. Forgot full neurological examination in 3 important cases.
3. I was nervous and I hesitated talking (My english is good, but I didŽnt it feel well).
4. I totally messed up in a telephone case
5. Forgot alleviating/aggravating factors in two cases at the beggining (due to nervousness)

What I did good:
1. Closure in all patients
2. Asked for permission to examinee and explained them what was I going to perform.
3. Never ran out of time ( Actually I was always out in 8-12 minutes)
4. Did in all almost every patients PAMHUGSFOSS
5. Tried to help everyone to sit/recline, etc.
6. Offered glass of water when needed.
7. Some good differential diagnosis I guess...

Well, some points that I remember right now, but mistakes keep coming to my mind...
I will start studyin' for my Step 2 CK...232 in Step 1...
I would really appreciate your opinion because I really felt it went wrong...
Thanks!
PASS
Good luck everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ayman Qasrawi (04-28-2014), surfermd (11-23-2014)
  #17  
Old 05-17-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hi all, took exam recently at Chicago centre. I did mistakes during the exam and pretty much worried about it. Kindly guys put your insight into my matter.
1. I din't counsel two cases, though that was important.
2. Put abbreviations like PUD,OA,RA in two cases at ddx slot.
3. Used hand santizer instead of doing hand washing .
4. Did focused PE.
5. Did cranial nerve examination buh forgot to put on my 3 PN.
6. In one summary , the patient had to correct me with presenting c/o , it was my first case.
Things which I did right .
Knock, permission, last name, ask how are they doing, anything needed, open ended ques, asked pertaining quest, mnemonic, permission before examining, closures in all cases, every patient was satisfied with challenging quest . Hand shaking , smiling .
Need your view point guys , worried that I just flunked .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-18-2014
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcheaven View Post
Hi all, took exam recently at Chicago centre. I did mistakes during the exam and pretty much worried about it. Kindly guys put your insight into my matter.
1. I din't counsel two cases, though that was important.
2. Put abbreviations like PUD,OA,RA in two cases at ddx slot.
3. Used hand santizer instead of doing hand washing .
4. Did focused PE.
5. Did cranial nerve examination buh forgot to put on my 3 PN.
6. In one summary , the patient had to correct me with presenting c/o , it was my first case.
Things which I did right .
Knock, permission, last name, ask how are they doing, anything needed, open ended ques, asked pertaining quest, mnemonic, permission before examining, closures in all cases, every patient was satisfied with challenging quest . Hand shaking , smiling .
Need your view point guys , worried that I just flunked .
If these are your "mistakes" you will be fine!
Not sure about the abbreviations, but you know we should only use the approved ones, so it is not like this is a surprise now!
__________________
Step1 [ ], Step 2CK [ ], Step 2 CS [Pass first attempt], Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dmcheaven (05-18-2014)
  #19  
Old 05-22-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

please dont give up i am in the same boat not sure what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-25-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 520 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 539
Default

Guys what should be the minimum words per minute to be no time for patients notes?
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
CS-Exam-Mistakes-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help please because I'm freaking out! ResidencyHopeful USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 11-05-2013 12:41 PM
Tried not to but now I'M FREAKING OUT !!!! help. younissmed USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 23 11-15-2011 08:04 PM
UGH freaking out! moe2185 USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 10-16-2011 03:24 PM
Freaking out. Myticketout USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 01-18-2011 04:25 PM
totally freaking out! Seetal USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 08-16-2010 10:56 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)