Is one month enough for preparation? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 216
Threads: 23
Thanked 180 Times in 72 Posts
Reputation: 190
Question Is one month enough for preparation?

I know this have been discussed before but I was hoping if someone could say that out loud to me. I have my CS lined up right after my CK and I have just over 1 month for the CS preparation.

I'm having second thoughts about preponing my CK to extract more time for CS. Is it advisable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message




  #2  
Old 02-03-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 8
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I am in the same boat. Have my ck on April 8th and cs on May 16th. I was thinking instead of preponing ck If you could dedicate couple of hours each day for cs preparation that should be adequate. At least that's what I am trying to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-03-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 140
Threads: 5
Thanked 140 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA 105 View Post
I know this have been discussed before but I was hoping if someone could say that out loud to me. I have my CS lined up right after my CK and I have just over 1 month for the CS preparation.

I'm having second thoughts about preponing my CK to extract more time for CS. Is it advisable?
The length of time needed to prepare for CS is different for everybody. If OSCEs and formulating a DDx aren't your forte, then you will need a while to prepare.
Are you practicing medicine at the moment? i.e. do you perform exams and write notes every day or are you still a student?. If you are a student, have you recently taken clinical exams / OSCEs?

e.g. I graduated this past May and started working in July. Most of my job involves admitting patients and ordering tests so my history taking and physical exam skills would be reasonable.
I spent about 5-7 days before my CS exam reading First Aid and familiarizing myself with the exam format (about 3 hours per day after work). To be perfectly honest, I thought the electronic PN sample from the USMLE website was great for practicing. I found First Aid to be almost a waste of time (personally anyway!).

If you aren't used to a computerized patient note system, I would advise practicing writing PNs on a daily basis under similar time constraints as those used in the exam. Get slick with your system-based physical exams. You'll rarely have the opportunity to perform an entire exam (of any system) on the SP so make sure you get the pertinent exam down.
Get into the habit of forcing yourself to 'counsel' on smoking and drinking and sexual stuff.
If English isn't your first language, then practice pronunciation, etc. of words and phrases that are used regularly during a history.

Studying for CK is good for CS (not vice versa).
When are your CK and CS dates currently scheduled?
I would definitely NOT mess with your CK date. You can very, very easily change your CS date if you feel you aren't adequately prepared. Using that Check4change add-on, you can get a new CS date in a matter of days.

Just my 0.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DNA 105 (02-03-2014), saharan (02-03-2014)
 
  #4  
Old 02-03-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 216
Threads: 23
Thanked 180 Times in 72 Posts
Reputation: 190
Default

That was brilliant, thank you! I graduated very recently and am preparing for CK right now. Will give CK on 9th of April, and CS is scheduled for 16th of May. If you ask me the timing suits perfectly 'cause 17th May is the last day of the reporting period. If I extend that, it would take me to the next reporting period and the score reporting would be substantially late.

I'm doing my observership right now so that ought to help in getting used to conversing with the locals. Also I would be dedicating full time for the CS prep (no observerships or anything) so I think I'd stick to the plan and back myself up to make it. Thanks again for the input, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-03-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 48
Threads: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to saharan
Default help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmleire View Post
The length of time needed to prepare for CS is different for everybody. If OSCEs and formulating a DDx aren't your forte, then you will need a while to prepare.
Are you practicing medicine at the moment? i.e. do you perform exams and write notes every day or are you still a student?. If you are a student, have you recently taken clinical exams / OSCEs?

e.g. I graduated this past May and started working in July. Most of my job involves admitting patients and ordering tests so my history taking and physical exam skills would be reasonable.
I spent about 5-7 days before my CS exam reading First Aid and familiarizing myself with the exam format (about 3 hours per day after work). To be perfectly honest, I thought the electronic PN sample from the USMLE website was great for practicing. I found First Aid to be almost a waste of time (personally anyway!).

If you aren't used to a computerized patient note system, I would advise practicing writing PNs on a daily basis under similar time constraints as those used in the exam. Get slick with your system-based physical exams. You'll rarely have the opportunity to perform an entire exam (of any system) on the SP so make sure you get the pertinent exam down.
Get into the habit of forcing yourself to 'counsel' on smoking and drinking and sexual stuff.
If English isn't your first language, then practice pronunciation, etc. of words and phrases that are used regularly during a history.

Studying for CK is good for CS (not vice versa).
When are your CK and CS dates currently scheduled?
I would definitely NOT mess with your CK date. You can very, very easily change your CS date if you feel you aren't adequately prepared. Using that Check4change add-on, you can get a new CS date in a matter of days.

Just my 0.02

hello!

I have another doubt if u can help!

I have CK exam one 1st august so i have 6 months to prepare for it but i want to do one month externship in may and take CS exam in june.

So basically i wont be studying much for CK so i am left with lets say 4 months total.

So would it be a good plan to it this way BECAUSE i want to apply for 2015 matches or should i focus only on CK and do CS later on

i am quiet confused please help me decide

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-09-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 140
Threads: 5
Thanked 140 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharan View Post
hello!

I have another doubt if u can help!

I have CK exam one 1st august so i have 6 months to prepare for it but i want to do one month externship in may and take CS exam in june.

So basically i wont be studying much for CK so i am left with lets say 4 months total.

So would it be a good plan to it this way BECAUSE i want to apply for 2015 matches or should i focus only on CK and do CS later on

i am quiet confused please help me decide

Thanks
Some of what I alluded to in the previous post applies to you also.

I understand that if you are doing a month of externship in the US that it makes financial (and other) sense to knock out Step 2 CS while you are over here in June. And that's a pretty good way to do it too!

If your Step 2 CK exam is August 1, then you have plenty of time to prepare (I assume you have already graduated?).
The overwhelming majority of your preparation should be directed towards Step 2 CK (in my opinion) from this date forward. That way, when you finish CS in June, you are putting the finishing touches on your preparation for CK. Obviously when you are doing your externship, you will be gearing up mostly for CS, but I think you'll find that study related to CK will be of benefit for your externship also.

Bottom line - I don't see anything wrong with the way that you have scheduled your exams. You have a lot of time between now and August 1st to prepare for CK even if you don't do much for it for 2 months in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
saharan (02-09-2014)
  #7  
Old 02-09-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 48
Threads: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to saharan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmleire View Post
Some of what I alluded to in the previous post applies to you also.

I understand that if you are doing a month of externship in the US that it makes financial (and other) sense to knock out Step 2 CS while you are over here in June. And that's a pretty good way to do it too!

If your Step 2 CK exam is August 1, then you have plenty of time to prepare (I assume you have already graduated?).
The overwhelming majority of your preparation should be directed towards Step 2 CK (in my opinion) from this date forward. That way, when you finish CS in June, you are putting the finishing touches on your preparation for CK. Obviously when you are doing your externship, you will be gearing up mostly for CS, but I think you'll find that study related to CK will be of benefit for your externship also.

Bottom line - I don't see anything wrong with the way that you have scheduled your exams. You have a lot of time between now and August 1st to prepare for CK even if you don't do much for it for 2 months in between.
Thanks usmleire i just needed some positive views about the plan
I have graduated already so hopefully i will try to finish CK and CS by August
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-09-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 201
Threads: 6
Thanked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 119
Default

I prepared mine in 2 weeks, that exam is easy. FA+2 friends, do all the cases a couple of times.

GL
__________________
@usmlethree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
saharan (02-09-2014)



Reply

Tags
CS-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help regarding my CS preparation Pirate American USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 6 05-09-2013 10:07 AM
cs preparation fozia USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 02-28-2013 09:08 PM
CS Preparation step2csfmg USMLE Links & Free Ads 0 07-23-2011 06:59 PM
tip for CS preparation accurate USMLE Links & Free Ads 0 12-24-2009 04:01 AM
CS Preparation drpratibhas USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 3 09-19-2009 10:07 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)