Can we type in all CAPITAL LETTERS on the PN??? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum

USMLE Step 2 CS Forum USMLE Step 2 CS Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 2 CS exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2011
usmledee's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 257
Threads: 69
Thanked 122 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 132
Computer Can we type in all CAPITAL LETTERS on the PN???

I am trying to find an answer to this because my handwriting sucks when I am under stress and seriously don't want to end up failing due to handwriting..might as well shoot myself if that ever happens, so although I am not the world's fastest typer, I am considering typing and was thinking that if I do all capitals, it might go a little faster.

So does anyone know for sure...if we can type in ALL CAPITALS on the PN note.
Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (11-12-2011)




  #2  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Smile

I just passed my CS with Astrix for my PN performance?? I was just like you so worried about my hand writting as I've been told that my hand writing look like a cat scratch!! and I thought I will fail bcz of that!!

Anyway, I practiced for 4 weeks, and used the FA patient notes template as a standard for me and I practiced writing them in 10 minutes. I asked my study partner for feedback, his notes helped me to improve my writing and working on the week point that people (I mean my partner) find hard to understand.

Bottom line, do your best with your hand writing, practice the abbreviations they suggest and if you can get feedback from your partner (preferably physician) you will do fine.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
chulady (04-27-2011)
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011
mary's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 339
Threads: 12
Thanked 421 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmledee View Post
So does anyone know for sure...if we can type in ALL CAPITALS on the PN note.
I don't think there's a problem with that. But I just want to know why you think that typing in UPPER CASE would be faster than the lower case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ashishkabir (04-27-2011)
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011
usmledee's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 257
Threads: 69
Thanked 122 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I don't think there's a problem with that. But I just want to know why you think that typing in UPPER CASE would be faster than the lower case
So I don't have to waste time capitalizing where I need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011
chulady's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 198
Threads: 56
Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 64
Smile

yes, I am also thinking for that. but now busy with typing practice. Still not able to finish with 10 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 43
Computer Typing the CS Patient Note in Upper Case (Capital) letters

I would like to know if we could use all capital when typing PN.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 15
Threads: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 26
Default

Am thinking same
If we could write in capital then we can type it as well
Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

The standard netiquette rules states that the use of all upper case (capital) letters means you are SHOUTING. Therefore, it might not be appropriate.

However, if you are going to use all upper case throughout the PN, then I don't think it would be considered non-professional.

Am just curious though, that why do you want to use all upper case!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 198 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 208
Default

Very BAD idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
The standard netiquette rules states that the use of all upper case (capital) letters means you are SHOUTING. Therefore, it might not be appropriate.

However, if you are going to use all upper case throughout the PN, then I don't think it would be considered non-professional.

Am just curious though, that why do you want to use all upper case!

-
The reason I want to do that is simple: I am terrible at typing, specially with this allotted amount of time. My handwriting is terrible! So I used capital letters and could complete the 10 min.
I am also watching the CSE videos and the PN are in capital letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tangled (03-19-2012)
  #11  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Dude that is such a retarded idea. I suggest you work on your typing instead of tying all in caps. It'll give a terrible impression. Its common sense man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmledee View Post
I am trying to find an answer to this because my handwriting sucks when I am under stress and seriously don't want to end up failing due to handwriting..might as well shoot myself if that ever happens, so although I am not the world's fastest typer, I am considering typing and was thinking that if I do all capitals, it might go a little faster.

So does anyone know for sure...if we can type in ALL CAPITALS on the PN note.
Thank you all.
So from my undertanding this is no forbidden, correct? we could use that! I intend to use ALL CAPITALS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAV View Post
The reason I want to do that is simple: I am terrible at typing, specially with this allotted amount of time. My handwriting is terrible! So I used capital letters and could complete the 10 min.
I am also watching the CSE videos and the PN are in capital letters.
I don't see any difference in the speed of typing whether it's lower case or upper case, in fact, if you want to do all upper case then you have to find and hit the "CAPS LOCK" button on the keyboard and make sure you do this with each and every PN.

Can you please explain further how the use of upper case letters makes your typing faster?

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAV View Post
So from my undertanding this is no forbidden, correct? we could use that! I intend to use ALL CAPITALS...
It's not forbidden. You can do that. But that won't speed up your typing.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
I don't see any difference in the speed of typing whether it's lower case or upper case, in fact, if you want to do all upper case then you have to find and hit the "CAPS LOCK" button on the keyboard and make sure you do this with each and every PN.

Can you please explain further how the use of upper case letters makes your typing faster?

-
Ok...thank you for your advice..I will work on that! I do not think that any idea is retarded..its just an idea but must agree that gives a bad impression! I measured my time...10min with capital..but i will work on my handwriting, guys....Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,877 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAV View Post
Ok...thank you for your advice..I will work on that! I do not think that any idea is retarded..its just an idea but must agree that gives a bad impression! I measured my time...10min with capital..but i will work on my handwriting, guys....Thanks a lot.
When you become a resident and you start typing your progress notes in the US hospital EMR, you won't be typing all capital. You will be typing in lower case and that's what they expect from you in the CS exam.
Am sure the examiner would be much impressed when he/she sees a neat patient note with appropriate capitalization and punctuation. Not that am saying they'll fail you if you don't do that, but am saying they will be impressed more which can potentially make them oversee your "content" pitfalls such as incorrect data or spelling errors.
My advice, is to type in lower case with appropriate punctuation to max out your chances of passing.
But again, am not saying that typing all capitals would be a reason to fail you in the exam.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iffat (05-02-2012), OTAV (06-24-2011)
  #17  
Old 06-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
When you become a resident and you start typing your progress notes in the US hospital EMR, you won't be typing all capital. You will be typing in lower case and that's what they expect from you in the CS exam.
Am sure the examiner would be much impressed when he/she sees a neat patient note with appropriate capitalization and punctuation. Not that am saying they'll fail you if you don't do that, but am saying they will be impressed more which can potentially make them oversee your "content" pitfalls such as incorrect data or spelling errors.
My advice, is to type in lower case with appropriate punctuation to max out your chances of passing.
But again, am not saying that typing all capitals would be a reason to fail you in the exam.

-
Thanks a lot! I agree with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 06-28-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 29
Threads: 5
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

hi typers

i did my pn in all caps and passed pn with good performance
its a choice
for me i felt like it would look clearer
in csevideo soem notes are in all caps some are not i asked them why they did that and they told me so you can get an idea of what all caps looks like versus non all caps
also some of their notes are full paragraph and some bullet so you get an idea of what the two look like

i did my pn for the exam liek their notes
i did my dd in caps and wu in caps that made it somuch easier so i could rip right through the dd and wu without worring about all the letters
did hte history in bullett for hte easy cases and when i did bullet i used all caps and the case with alot of information i did paragraph non all caps
my pe was all caps but i used comma when needed

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Inga Leav (02-22-2016)
  #19  
Old 06-28-2011
laithbv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 304
Threads: 9
Thanked 307 Times in 136 Posts
Reputation: 317
Default @drlouis

Yes, it's a choice. But which one is better?

typing in regular small letters is better in my opinion.

The fact that you passed the CS despite typing in all CAPs doesn't mean it's better. Perhaps, your performance would have been higher if you typed normally.

This means that for a border-line performer the issue is critical and it might means passing or failing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 06-28-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 29
Threads: 5
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

your not gonna pass or fail based on caps or not

i did part of my note in caps and part in regular letters

if the content of your note is off and doesnt reflect the point of the case then yeah you got a problem but its not a deciding factor some of our faculty say its easier to read since they have atons of cases to read and soem say if your grammar and typing is a priotity then do it the regular way
goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bebix (02-02-2012), tangled (03-19-2012)
  #21  
Old 02-01-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 144
Threads: 47
Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
I don't see any difference in the speed of typing whether it's lower case or upper case, in fact, if you want to do all upper case then you have to find and hit the "CAPS LOCK" button on the keyboard and make sure you do this with each and every PN.

Can you please explain further how the use of upper case letters makes your typing faster?

-
sabio een i have noticed that tyoing in upper case do make your speed fast bcoz in certain way like every first word of line we need to convert that in capital right so this way those time consuming esp for pt with this habit to see key board before typing now.


so this mean we can use capital letter but it has to be whole capital then right from start to end'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tangled (03-19-2012)
  #22  
Old 02-01-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default Amazing

It's amazing how much energy people spend in talking about this. For God's sake, it's ridiculous to think typing all caps is OK. Just because you have passed with it is no license to propagate it. It's basic computer manners. It's so weird that people have such strange notions want to attend interviews in the US later on. No wonder they think of all IMGs as losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 83
Threads: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraschandra21 View Post
It's amazing how much energy people spend in talking about this. For God's sake, it's ridiculous to think typing all caps is OK. Just because you have passed with it is no license to propagate it. It's basic computer manners. It's so weird that people have such strange notions want to attend interviews in the US later on. No wonder they think of all IMGs as losers.
One of my friends emailed the usmle examination guys(usmle.org) and got the reply that all capital can be used.
dude, people are here to help each other. In the end, it jots down to personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.dhruvdesai (04-23-2012)
  #24  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner21 View Post
One of my friends emailed the usmle examination guys(usmle.org) and got the reply that all capital can be used.
dude, people are here to help each other. In the end, it jots down to personal preference.
Like I said, it's not invalid, it's just weird. There is a subtle difference between the two. It's about ethical behavior. Whatever works for you guys, I personally am done with the exam. Just trying to help out in basic etiquette man, considering how many IMGs mess up in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 83
Threads: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraschandra21 View Post
Like I said, it's not invalid, it's just weird. There is a subtle difference between the two. It's about ethical behavior. Whatever works for you guys, I personally am done with the exam. Just trying to help out in basic etiquette man, considering how many IMGs mess up in that department.
Even i have finished my exam.
For people who are slow and find it easy to type with all capitals or all small letter , should probably go ahead the way they like so that they can finish in 10 mins
When it comes to filling up the EMR, we are not timed and we can fill it out with basic etiquettes !!! WAT say????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tangled (03-19-2012)



  #26  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner21 View Post
Even i have finished my exam.
For people who are slow and find it easy to type with all capitals or all small letter , should probably go ahead the way they like so that they can finish in 10 mins
When it comes to filling up the EMR, we are not timed and we can fill it out with basic etiquettes !!! WAT say????
I give up trying to explain my point man. Surge on with your brilliance, I'm sure you'll go places. Good luck! Peace out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 83
Threads: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraschandra21 View Post
I give up trying to explain my point man. Surge on with your brilliance, I'm sure you'll go places. Good luck! Peace out.
Lol, chill man..no one is fighting here...just opinions to help others if they have a question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
priya1 (02-02-2012), tangled (03-19-2012), TenderLovingDoc (02-22-2013)
  #28  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 144
Threads: 47
Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

winner but are you sure about this capital things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 02-02-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 83
Threads: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priya1 View Post
winner but are you sure about this capital things.
Yes I am. I did it in my exam....some cases all caps...other all small...was really nervous to finish dat time...u can mail usmle.org and confirm if you want. I dont know the email Id. I used to go for cs class that's where I came to know about this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 02-03-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 144
Threads: 47
Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

thank you winner if you did this for your exam then i guess there is nothing to doubt if it is working for you it will work for me too right thanks you again any more types I am planning to use caps for dd and workup and in end if i wont be able to type then for whole case,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 02-03-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 83
Threads: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priya1 View Post
thank you winner if you did this for your exam then i guess there is nothing to doubt if it is working for you it will work for me too right thanks you again any more types I am planning to use caps for dd and workup and in end if i wont be able to type then for whole case,
ya it should work cos i got a good score for my patient note...my score was less only in Data gathering but overall i passed in all components....so it should work. best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 04-22-2012
alanine40's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 307
Threads: 95
Thanked 79 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 89
Send a message via Skype™ to alanine40
Default what about abbreviations

i think writing in capital is good as abbreviations when they will be written in small it will not be understood at all
and i dont have time to shift from small to capital and return back when i am writing an abbreviation
right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.dhruvdesai (04-23-2012)
  #33  
Old 07-30-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

everyone knows that it is not good to type in all caps and the same thing we don't do in real practice. but because of the time constraints, if needed it is not bad to type pn notes in all caps.
pn note raters see the content of the note rather than small caps or all caps. i have typed pn notes in all caps without any headings of hpi/pmh/sh/fh but clear demarcation between all of them and with minimal use abbreviations and got high performance with 3 stars at the end.
so my advice is to type what ever way you want with minimal spelling mistakes and cover as many points as possible in order with minimal use of abbreviations and use of abbreviations given in usmle website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeer (03-31-2014), Inga Leav (02-22-2016)
  #34  
Old 03-31-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 15
Default May be of some help to people appearing in CS

This is an official reply from usmle.org

"Thank you for contacting the National Board of Medical Examiners.

While we prefer that you type the Patient Note for Step 2 CS in appropriate upper and lower case, you may use all capital letters if you wish; capitalization does not impact the scoring.

Sincerely,

Savonia on behalf of Webmail
National Board of Medical Examiners
215-590-9700 telephone
215-590-9457 fax"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeer (03-31-2014), d.haddadin (05-11-2014), Inga Leav (02-22-2016), nervous system (03-26-2016), Neutrino (01-12-2016)



Reply

Tags
Patient-Note, Technical-Issues

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Letters of Recommendations (LoRs): List of Guidelines StepTaker IMG Residency Match Forum 23 07-17-2011 08:08 AM
Old Letters of Recommendation Sam1980 IMG Residency Match Forum 1 01-22-2011 10:53 AM
waiting letters usmle_tamara IMG Residency Match Forum 2 10-24-2010 10:14 PM
What about letters of recommendation? cuteguy General Topics Forum 3 04-18-2010 09:55 AM
Herpes Simplex Type 1 and Type 2 lee-usmle USMLE Step 1 Mnemonics 1 12-16-2009 11:17 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)