What to wear (Dress Code) for the CS exam? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 2 CS Forum > USMLE Step 2 CS Recommended Threads

USMLE Step 2 CS Recommended Threads Highly Recommended and Useful USMLE Step 2 CS Forum Threads.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 11
Threads: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Question What to wear (Dress Code) for the CS exam?

What should male examinees wear during the exam? i know the top should be long sleeves, but my question is that should it be a plain white long sleeves or any color and/or with designs will do as long as you are wearing long sleeves with neck tie plus the white coat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
saharan (02-03-2014)



  #2  
Old 01-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 10
Thanked 70 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 80
Correct Answer

yes, your shirt can be any color as long as it looks formal... you should dress up like you're going to regular office hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
docmd11 (08-23-2014)
  #3  
Old 01-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 11
Threads: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococat View Post
yes, your shirt can be any color as long as it looks formal... you should dress up like you're going to regular office hours
ok, thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

i also have an inquiry on this, what kind of pants do you need to wear? does it have to be slacks? or can you wear jeans?

i know the top is long sleeve with tie.

and how about coats? do they provide you with one or you have to bring one of your own?

my problem is i dont have a white coat, and what kind of coats do you usually bring? is it long up to your legs?

thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 11
Threads: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageman View Post
i also have an inquiry on this, what kind of pants do you need to wear? does it have to be slacks? or can you wear jeans?

i know the top is long sleeve with tie.

and how about coats? do they provide you with one or you have to bring one of your own?

my problem is i dont have a white coat, and what kind of coats do you usually bring? is it long up to your legs?

thank you...
Well, they say it has to be black slacks. Me too, I don't have a white coat either. The testing center have a limited number of white coat that they can provide to examinees. But don't rely on that, my friend said you can buy a white coat in the US, it's available somewhere. maybe just near by the testing centers. good luck to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
wmedman (03-15-2015)
  #6  
Old 01-06-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 610 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 588
Default

you will be wearing a white coat and any thing that look professional underneath whether with tie or without. It is not adviced to wear jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-06-2012
Adamentium's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 64
Threads: 12
Thanked 94 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplicantGuide View Post
you will be wearing a white coat and any thing that look professional underneath whether with tie or without. It is not adviced to wear jeans.
Hi, applicant guide
I have a question:

What kind of White coat to wear?

I have heard of two types of white coats:
1. having length up to waist (the ones used by students)
2. having length up to knee (the ones used by attendings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-06-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 146
Threads: 27
Thanked 74 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default

what about females??\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Nini (12-16-2013), tamta (01-18-2014)
  #9  
Old 01-07-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 10
Thanked 70 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstar View Post
what about females??\
I will probably be wearing a dress. I don't remember where did I get the information from, but it must be below the knees and sleeved. You can also wear a sweater f you're going during cold days.
But I think most of the time the female doctors wear shirts or sleeved formal blouses and the editors pants type... i don't know if you know what Im talking about, well, Express has that name for that kind of pants... i don't know the name of the fabric, but (of course) it's not jeans
Banana Republic, Express and Zara have affordable options for office outfits, maybe you want to go these days that things are on sale and still many sizes available, that's what i do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drglo (02-06-2014), Nini (12-16-2013), tamta (01-18-2014)
  #10  
Old 01-22-2012
dr_mhm's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 460
Threads: 100
Thanked 233 Times in 147 Posts
Reputation: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococat View Post
I will probably be wearing a dress. I don't remember where did I get the information from, but it must be below the knees and sleeved. You can also wear a sweater f you're going during cold days.
But I think most of the time the female doctors wear shirts or sleeved formal blouses and the editors pants type... i don't know if you know what Im talking about, well, Express has that name for that kind of pants... i don't know the name of the fabric, but (of course) it's not jeans
Banana Republic, Express and Zara have affordable options for office outfits, maybe you want to go these days that things are on sale and still many sizes available, that's what i do
I was thinking of maybe wearing a classy turtle neck and some nice dress pants. It's cold right now. I also have a white blouse but I'm sure I would be freezing...
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 01-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 10
Thanked 70 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mhm View Post
I was thinking of maybe wearing a classy turtle neck and some nice dress pants. It's cold right now. I also have a white blouse but I'm sure I would be freezing...
What do you think?
i suppose you can go with a turtleneck... just try to figure out how "funny" your sweater is... i mean, if it's a neutral color and your silhouette is not too obvious i guess you can wear it... but... don't rely on my opinion i know better about late spring and summer's outfits, since i live in a tropical country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 02-07-2012
legend's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 97
Threads: 44
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

what about pakistani female, can i wear shalwar kameez?
__________________
The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 35
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 26
Default Is Jeans OK!

I just need to confirm that do we have a dress code for cs exam,, can't a simple jeans and a simple top do, do we have to bring formal trousers for the exam, please I need a urgent advise i this as i am leaving soon for exam.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 296
Threads: 41
Thanked 167 Times in 102 Posts
Reputation: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandoc View Post
I just need to confirm that do we have a dress code for cs exam,, can't a simple jeans and a simple top do, do we have to bring formal trousers for the exam, please I need a urgent advise i this as i am leaving soon for exam.

Thank you
Please I beg you in the name of all that is dear to you, DON'T wear jeans. no need for suit jacket but dress formal, you may wear a tie, will recommend you do. I am supposing you are a guy.
All the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
americandoc (03-15-2012), Nini (12-16-2013)
  #15  
Old 03-15-2012
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Default

just wondering here....is it all right for female muslims to cover their hair in the exam?? or do they prefer something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 296
Threads: 41
Thanked 167 Times in 102 Posts
Reputation: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat1iscool View Post
just wondering here....is it all right for female muslims to cover their hair in the exam?? or do they prefer something else?

hi, thats a very important question. i read someones post in a different forum who chose to wear her hijab and she passed.
idk what you should do, call around i am pretty sure many muslim ladies have been in your position. whatever you decide i am pretty sure that wearing a hijab will should not count against a candidate. its not one of the things that they are supposed to grade.
all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-31-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 234
Threads: 120
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default Dress code

Will gray pants and blue shirt and a tie be fine?? Or is there a specific dress code??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 03-31-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstaid150 View Post
Will gray pants and blue shirt and a tie be fine?? Or is there a specific dress code??
Yep, perfectly fine.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 22
Threads: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstaid150 View Post
Will gray pants and blue shirt and a tie be fine?? Or is there a specific dress code??
fine...please make sure you button up your coat or wear a tie pin otherwise your tie will keep on brushing against the sp when you start doing the examination.

best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ramukaka (06-10-2013)
  #20  
Old 09-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 32
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Info regarding length of white coat

hi.

I was wondering if any of you know if we should wear a short white coat or a longer one? Or does it really matter as long as it's white, clean and looks nice?

Last edited by miss_lena; 09-06-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 09-28-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

It does not matter whether you wear a short or a long coat. Please make sure that your name or your college emblem is covered with white tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 29
Threads: 3
Thanked 41 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 51
Question quick questions

For males

Is a slim tie ok? Else I'll go with a regular tie.

Do I have to wear only a black pant or any other color is fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-05-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 88
Threads: 22
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default ques about stethoscope

i have lithman stethoscope but it has my name engraved on the bell,will it be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 07-02-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 11
Threads: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

I realize this is an older thread but I figured I'd post for anyone reading this thread for the future. I'm assuming if you're asking this question you haven't worked in a US hospital ... if you've done a rotation at a US hospital, you're just dressing up like a normal day on the wards.

Bring a short white coat. If you have a school emblem, they'll give you tape to cover it up.

Men: button-down shirt, tie, slacks
-The point is to be professional and not flashy. Keep your colors professional. No bright red or blue pants. Absolutely no jeans.
-Regular width ties are considered more professional than slim ties. Most patient actors wouldn't count that against you (if any), but why take a chance with something so simple?

Women: I'm not great with women's clothes, but your safest bet is a button-down blouse and slacks. Some people probably get away with skirts/dresses, but they're just easier to mess up - too short and you end up looking unprofessional.

Just to give you a general idea of professional female attire:

What to wear (Dress Code) for the CS exam?-bcwoman.jpg
click image to enlarge

(tuck in shirt to be less casual)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fat1iscool View Post
just wondering here....is it all right for female muslims to cover their hair in the exam?? or do they prefer something else?
Hijab: if you wear the hijab normally, you absolutely have the right to wear it on test day. There should be no religious discrimination at all. Most people are aware of its purpose, but if a testing proctor asks you, you should just tell them it's required for religious reasons and you shouldn't have any problems. (Patient actors are hopefully vetted and educated so they shouldn't discriminate your evaluation based on the hijab. Whether this happens in real life or not, only people with personal experience can say). But you should never professionally have to sacrifice your religious ideals. This isn't France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
what about pakistani female, can i wear shalwar kameez?
No, sorry. To American eyes, the shalwaar kameez is seen as a cultural and not a religious dress like the hijab. Therefore, it's viewed as strange (at least in a clinical setting) and unprofessional. If you plan to practice in the US, you won't be able to get away with wearing shalwaar kameez during rotations and clinical practice, so you have to adjust. I've worked with many female Pakistani/Indian residents that have adjusted their dress accordingly. (To better understand how they see it, just picture an American medical student working in a Pakistani hospital wearing a miniskirt - it completely goes against cultural sensibilities).

I should be clear: while they can't ban you from the exam for wearing shalwaar kameez, it's highly likely some/many of the patients will find it unprofessional. Whether they mark down for it depends on the patient. But you'll have to adjust eventually in residency and professional work, so might as well do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmlenj View Post
i have lithman stethoscope but it has my name engraved on the bell,will it be ok?
The engraved stethoscope is an interesting question, and you should probably contact the testing center directly. My guess would be no. You're not supposed to have any identifying information at all visible to the patients.

Hope this helps. Dress conservative and professional. Dressing up should be the easiest part of the day, it's not meant to be a trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
deepseanavigator (07-05-2013), ggggggggg (09-30-2013), hyndavi (04-09-2015), Nini (12-16-2013), Sezary (07-24-2013), y.zakai (09-21-2013)
  #25  
Old 07-08-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGrad View Post
The engraved stethoscope is an interesting question, and you should probably contact the testing center directly. My guess would be no. You're not supposed to have any identifying information at all visible to the patients.
Great post, ChicagoGrad!
About the stethoscope: I have an engraved Littmann stethoscope and it was no problem at all. So I think you should be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 09-30-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 12
Threads: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGrad View Post
I realize this is an older thread but I figured I'd post for anyone reading this thread for the future. I'm assuming if you're asking this question you haven't worked in a US hospital ... if you've done a rotation at a US hospital, you're just dressing up like a normal day on the wards.

Bring a short white coat. If you have a school emblem, they'll give you tape to cover it up.

Men: button-down shirt, tie, slacks
-The point is to be professional and not flashy. Keep your colors professional. No bright red or blue pants. Absolutely no jeans.
-Regular width ties are considered more professional than slim ties. Most patient actors wouldn't count that against you (if any), but why take a chance with something so simple?

Women: I'm not great with women's clothes, but your safest bet is a button-down blouse and slacks. Some people probably get away with skirts/dresses, but they're just easier to mess up - too short and you end up looking unprofessional.

Just to give you a general idea of professional female attire:

Attachment 3234
click image to enlarge

(tuck in shirt to be less casual)




Hijab: if you wear the hijab normally, you absolutely have the right to wear it on test day. There should be no religious discrimination at all. Most people are aware of its purpose, but if a testing proctor asks you, you should just tell them it's required for religious reasons and you shouldn't have any problems. (Patient actors are hopefully vetted and educated so they shouldn't discriminate your evaluation based on the hijab. Whether this happens in real life or not, only people with personal experience can say). But you should never professionally have to sacrifice your religious ideals. This isn't France.



No, sorry. To American eyes, the shalwaar kameez is seen as a cultural and not a religious dress like the hijab. Therefore, it's viewed as strange (at least in a clinical setting) and unprofessional. If you plan to practice in the US, you won't be able to get away with wearing shalwaar kameez during rotations and clinical practice, so you have to adjust. I've worked with many female Pakistani/Indian residents that have adjusted their dress accordingly. (To better understand how they see it, just picture an American medical student working in a Pakistani hospital wearing a miniskirt - it completely goes against cultural sensibilities).

I should be clear: while they can't ban you from the exam for wearing shalwaar kameez, it's highly likely some/many of the patients will find it unprofessional. Whether they mark down for it depends on the patient. But you'll have to adjust eventually in residency and professional work, so might as well do it now.



The engraved stethoscope is an interesting question, and you should probably contact the testing center directly. My guess would be no. You're not supposed to have any identifying information at all visible to the patients.

Hope this helps. Dress conservative and professional. Dressing up should be the easiest part of the day, it's not meant to be a trick.
we are supposed to introduce our self and tell our original name. so how can we hide our identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 09-30-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggggggg View Post
we are supposed to introduce our self and tell our original name. so how can we hide our identity?

You are not supposed to hide your identidy, they just dont want you to reveal your school or country of origin.
However, ECFMG states you can introduce yourself with ANY name, your real one or one you make up, so it is really up to you. I used my real name, because that comes natural, and I did not want to start stuttering or forget my made up name or something.
So it is really up to you what name you use...
Just remember, being natural is very important!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 03-03-2014
Dr Pepper's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 56
Threads: 9
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 41
Default

I noticed that most white coats end at a level above the knee. Woulda long lab gown extending just above the feet be also appropriate? Is it okay to sit when wearing this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 03-03-2014
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
I noticed that most white coats end at a level above the knee. Woulda long lab gown extending just above the feet be also appropriate? Is it okay to sit when wearing this? Thanks.
Personally, I don't think a lab gown going down to above the feet is appropriate.
When I took the test, most people were wearing student's coats that went only to the waist. Some people were wearing longer coats that go down to above the knee (mostly IMGs).
But I don't think there is a specific rule, so basically it is up to you.
__________________
Step1 [ ], Step 2CK [ ], Step 2 CS [Pass first attempt], Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr Pepper (03-06-2014)
  #30  
Old 06-18-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Since you'll be wearing your lab coat, the clothes shouldn't be much of a problem. The slacks should look normal and the coat covers everything else. Any top/shirt should do. Few male examinees were not wearing ties while most were.
Shoes: When I took my exam, there were girls wearing sparkly shoes with crystals and sequins and even open toed heels, even that didn't seem to be a problem.
Bottomline: Don't stress about clothes, that's the least of your worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 04-06-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post
What should male examinees wear during the exam? i know the top should be long sleeves, but my question is that should it be a plain white long sleeves or any color and/or with designs will do as long as you are wearing long sleeves with neck tie plus the white coat?

Dress like you are going to the most important interview of your life!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
CS-Exam-Day

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kaplan Step 1 Qbank Promotion Code Charlesmed USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 11-18-2011 07:45 AM
What shoud we wear in the interview? Haisook IMG Residency Match Forum 12 10-27-2011 04:02 PM
Kaplan Qbank iPhone App Promotion Code KODAK USMLE Apps 6 06-29-2011 11:44 AM
Genetic code sequence important/unimportant salz USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 02-17-2011 11:23 AM
Quick! You passed CS? Did you wear your class Ring? theartofbone USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 06-13-2010 10:32 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)