April - June STEP 3 DISCUSSION GROUP - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 3 Forum

USMLE Step 3 Forum USMLE Step 3 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 3 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2015
thind's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default April - June STEP 3 DISCUSSION GROUP

Hello Everyone!

Lets all gather here for preparation and discussion for doubts in Step 3.
I Started with mtb 2 and mtb 3 along with ck notes. Please feel free to join and give your inputs and lets all help each other

Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SJK13 (04-20-2015), yanichyts (05-05-2015)



  #2  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 118
Threads: 10
Thanked 94 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thind View Post
Hello Everyone!

Lets all gather here for preparation and discussion for doubts in Step 3.
I Started with mtb 2 and mtb 3 along with ck notes. Please feel free to join and give your inputs and lets all help each other

Good Luck!!
It is a great idea! Count me in! my exam is in the beginning of May. Done with Uworld already. I want to go one more time through Uworld and MTB 3 doing the CCS cases at the same time.
Also I have to take assessment exam, may be next week, to figure out where I am.
By the way, is there any other assessment exam except Uworld's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-31-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thind View Post
Hello Everyone!

Lets all gather here for preparation and discussion for doubts in Step 3.
I Started with mtb 2 and mtb 3 along with ck notes. Please feel free to join and give your inputs and lets all help each other

Good Luck!!

Good that you made this thread
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 48
Threads: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Oldgradandmom
Default step 3 late may

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeer View Post
Good that you made this thread
count me in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 226
Threads: 13
Thanked 146 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 156
Default

Count me in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 133
Threads: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

hi, what is considered a good average score in UW qbank? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 118
Threads: 10
Thanked 94 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuralcrest View Post
hi, what is considered a good average score in UW qbank? Thanks!
Good question. I finished Uworld timed/random mode with average score of 65%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 133
Threads: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gikson View Post
Good question. I finished Uworld timed/random mode with average score of 65%.
Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default count me in!

Hello everyone,

Count me in too! planning to get over with step3 by june end, before residency starts.

starting with MTB3 today.....

Good luck guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-01-2015
thind's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gikson View Post
It is a great idea! Count me in! my exam is in the beginning of May. Done with Uworld already. I want to go one more time through Uworld and MTB 3 doing the CCS cases at the same time.
Also I have to take assessment exam, may be next week, to figure out where I am.
By the way, is there any other assessment exam except Uworld's?
Good luck for self assessment and let us know! Apart from that I guess NBME for step 3 are the other assessments although I dont have nay idea about its co-relation to exam.
Did you use anything else for prep apart from mtb and uworld?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Gikson (04-01-2015)
  #11  
Old 04-01-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 118
Threads: 10
Thanked 94 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thind View Post
Good luck for self assessment and let us know! Apart from that I guess NBME for step 3 are the other assessments although I dont have nay idea about its co-relation to exam.
Did you use anything else for prep apart from mtb and uworld?
I did Kaplan qbank before starting Uworld and MTB3. In my opinion it was low yield material. And I think it was pretty outdated as well. Now I really regret the time I spent for it.
Also I am reading Biostats by Lipincot. Although there are some irrelevant materials in it, I think the book is good. It is a pdf version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (04-01-2015)
  #12  
Old 04-01-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

I am in. I did UWORLD random and timed and cumulative score is 61. finished mtb 3 and did UW assessment and got 213. Will revise again. any suggestions how that predict my outcome at this stage?
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
thind (04-01-2015)
  #13  
Old 04-01-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 27
Threads: 16
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Send a message via Skype™ to Rani Kumar
Default Rani

Count me in..just starting preparation..any tips for reading MTB3 like where to focus more ..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-01-2015
thind's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuralcrest View Post
hi, what is considered a good average score in UW qbank? Thanks!
Hey! there is another post here on step 3 forum which shows co-relation of UW and final scores. I guess people who had 60-70% scored good marks ranging 205-230.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 04-01-2015
thind's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani Kumar View Post
Count me in..just starting preparation..any tips for reading MTB3 like where to focus more ..thanks
Good luck for prep! I also started a while ago did IM from both mtb2 and 3, i find mtb 3 to be missing on some relevant details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-01-2015
thind's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Tayeb View Post
I am in. I did UWORLD random and timed and cumulative score is 61. finished mtb 3 and did UW assessment and got 213. Will revise again. any suggestions how that predict my outcome at this stage?
Thats a good score. At this point, I think you should focus more on your weak subjects. Probably solve biostats questions as it forms 15% of the exam now and perfect yourself in CCS as they make or break the deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (04-03-2015)
  #17  
Old 04-02-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thind View Post
Thats a good score. At this point, I think you should focus more on your weak subjects. Probably solve biostats questions as it forms 15% of the exam now and perfect yourself in CCS as they make or break the deal!
Thanks Thind. I did CCS part very well and I don't think that I have issue with this. I am trying to do uworld again focusing on my weak parts. Do you recommend doing something else, like MTB2 or UW ck questions ?
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-02-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 32
Threads: 13
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Hey Guys,

I have a quick question, I'm going to take step 3 in July-Aug. Since I took CK 5 yrs ago, I wonder if I should read Kaplan CK notes beside of the step 3 resources ( MTB 3, UW, Kaplan q bank) ?

What would you do ?

I'll really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-04-2015
thind's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Tayeb View Post
Thanks Thind. I did CCS part very well and I don't think that I have issue with this. I am trying to do uworld again focusing on my weak parts. Do you recommend doing something else, like MTB2 or UW ck questions ?
I can suggest doing Mtb 2 for IM with ck notes. I feel like mtb3 is not enough and lack in certain topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jenny7990 (04-11-2015)
  #20  
Old 04-04-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Taking step 3 in the first week of May. Using MTB 3 (reviewed once already) + my UW Step 2 CK notes + UW Step 3 (Qbank + CCS). UW Qbank avg = 76% first run. Plan to do it a second time while I review MTB 3 again and all my UW notes. Still need to hammer the CCS cases. Good luck to everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Gikson (04-04-2015)
  #21  
Old 04-04-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

i want to discuss infectious diseases chapter from MTB3 tomorrow at 9.pm pakistan time.

anyone interested can add me on skype: mmbhaty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 04-04-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Count me in! I'll start my studying this week. I plan on taking it late June.

Did anyone already submit the application through FSMB? How long did it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 04-06-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 5
Thanked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default

Hey guys I also planning on giving step 3 in a couple of months. I wanted to know:
1. How man questions are there in total in step 3 UW?
2. I gave my ck about 8 months ago using mtb 2 for IM and the previous edition of mtb 3 for the other subjects. How useful is the new mtb 3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 04-06-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 148
Threads: 40
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Hi friend,

You mentioned you did kaplan q bank, is it step 2 kaplan q bank or step 3,

I am planing to do kaplan q bank, but i am not having step 3 kaplan q bank.

Can you please send me Step 3 kaplan q bank if you have one.

This is my email id: kamidisandeepreddy@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-07-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

@zia

some body at facebook step3 thread posted that there are less then 1500 questions in uworld + 52 CCS cases and 44 readout CCS cases

those who have started uworld, please let us know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-07-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 118
Threads: 10
Thanked 94 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkcc View Post
@zia

some body at facebook step3 thread posted that there are less then 1500 questions in uworld + 52 CCS cases and 44 readout CCS cases

those who have started uworld, please let us know
There are 1545 questions in the Usmle step 3 qbank.
Recently they added 5 q in Neurology section, so it is being continuously updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 04-07-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Does anyone know if repeated patient updates is a sign you're taking too long to manage their symptoms / lower your score? For example, in the panic attack case, if you don't give alprazolam with your big batch of orders, you get two pop-ups saying "pt continues to complain about palpitations" while advancing to get your results back. If you then gave alprazolam when you've reviewed their enzymes, urine tox etc, would this still be considered poor management?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

hi guys... I plan to take exam if my prep is good in the first wk of june before i move and prepare for residency... am doing uwrold and MTB... first round of doing cases and qbank havent finished yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

welcome dr.baig....

ur in the same boat as i am, hopefully we will push step3 out of the way before we start our residencies...

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatox View Post
Does anyone know if repeated patient updates is a sign you're taking too long to manage their symptoms / lower your score? For example, in the panic attack case, if you don't give alprazolam with your big batch of orders, you get two pop-ups saying "pt continues to complain about palpitations" while advancing to get your results back. If you then gave alprazolam when you've reviewed their enzymes, urine tox etc, would this still be considered poor management?

Thanks
No it won't consider poor management. in cases like Panic attack it won't make a difference, it will take some time to subside. But if you delay treatment in other conditions, for example patient is presented with abdominal pain and you were busy doing exams and ordering investigations and you forgot to write pain killers, this will affect your marks.
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

can anyone pleas tell me how imporant is to read first aid 3rd edition for step 3??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny7990 View Post
can anyone pleas tell me how imporant is to read first aid 3rd edition for step 3??



i am only using it for 100mini cases at the end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jenny7990 (04-08-2015)
  #33  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 133
Threads: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.baig22 View Post
i am only using it for 100mini cases at the end...
Do you find the 100 mini cases helpful? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuralcrest View Post
Do you find the 100 mini cases helpful? Thanks.

yes. i do for me atleast... cuz its quick revision...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 148
Threads: 40
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Hai friends, if any one has kaplan step 3 q bank, please can you attach to my mail ,

kamidisandeepreddy@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 04-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

guys, i heard that step 3 asks a lot of geriatrics and sports medicine questions...is there any specific books for these topics......

Also step 3 uworld do not cover pedia and surgery......Is MTB 3 suffecient for pedia and surgery??

Pleas help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 04-09-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

hey, i a registering for step3.

what state is best for step3, in terms of less paper work. Connecticut was the all time favourite before the new pattern, should i get registered to connecticut too? i have no preferences.

the CiD form , now, no longer needs your prefered centre right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 04-09-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkcc View Post
hey, i a registering for step3.

what state is best for step3, in terms of less paper work. Connecticut was the all time favourite before the new pattern, should i get registered to connecticut too? i have no preferences.

the CiD form , now, no longer needs your prefered centre right?
The new step 3 isn't registered to a state like the previous ones were
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 04-09-2015
mdsoon's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 259
Threads: 8
Thanked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Reputation: 125
Default

also prepping for Step 3 before july 1. doing mtb 3 and u world at the moment. need help in approaching CCS.

anyone have sequence or template in which you use to approach every ccs case?
__________________
2015 grad , Step 1-[X], Step 2CK [X], Step 2 CS [X] , Step 3 [X], MATCHED IM 2015. PGY-1 to Infinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40  
Old 04-09-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Applied for the July - September period. But I will actively take part in this group and try my best to take the exam in the first week of July.

I am starting to study this Monday, April 13th.

79 days to go till June 30th. Starting with MTB 3 and DIT Step 2 videos. Will start 1 block of UW per day as well.

Anyone else in the same boat as me and just starting to study? Feel free to message me and we can keep each other accountable to study. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41  
Old 04-09-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hey guys, I have older version of mtb (2009)....is there any changes in the new edition...does any1 hV a pdf format of newer version of MTB than I do?? I would really appreciate if you can send me at jenny7990@gmail.com.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42  
Old 04-09-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny7990 View Post
hey guys, I have older version of mtb (2009)....is there any changes in the new edition...does any1 hV a pdf format of newer version of MTB than I do?? I would really appreciate if you can send me at jenny7990@gmail.com.
Thanks
How can you read a book for a licensing exam that is outdated 5 years ago? get the new book and save your time and your score.
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jenny7990 (04-10-2015)
  #43  
Old 04-10-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Tayeb View Post
How can you read a book for a licensing exam that is outdated 5 years ago? get the new book and save your time and your score.
Thanks M.Tayeb...u r right!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44  
Old 04-10-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hello everyone...count me too. planning to give exam in july. have completed ck video lectures,reading MTB 3...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45  
Old 04-10-2015
Tosyk's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 26
Post

hello guys! Count me in!
I've started studying 1 month ago. Have finished MTB 2 and 3. Recently started classroom anywhere step 3 and lecture notes step 3. I'm wondering why u don't use step 3 lecture notes? why do you use step 2 ck lecture notes?
hope to finish classroom and lecture notes at the end of april and will begin UW.
Planning to take my exam in the mid of june

By the way, don't u guys know how long does it take to get results after step 3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #46  
Old 04-10-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 148
Threads: 40
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Hai, my dear friends,

I have one doubt,

Do we need to know, duration of treatment for each disease for step 3 exam.

For example: Uncomplicated cystitis 7 day of ciprofloxacin, ect,

do we need to know for all the diseases. like Lung abcess, pneumonia, meningitis, osteomylitis. ect.

If we will know just what drugs to use for each disease, then what's the diffference btw step 2 ck and step 3 exam, in this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #47  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

hi all... I have a ques.
18 yo male has fever and pain in left foot. it is red and itchy. He is active in sports plays baseball, basket ball and football. On examination left foot big toe is erythematous swollen also involving web spaces. Right foot also has dry fly web spaces. Also has swollen tender lymph node in left groin.
a. staphlococcus
b. pseudomonas
c. trichophyton rubrum
d. e.coli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #48  
Old 04-11-2015
Tosyk's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 26
Question uworld ccs

Hey guys! How long does it take to go through uworld ccs if studying schedule is ~ 8 hours a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #49  
Old 04-11-2015
Tosyk's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 26
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.baig22 View Post
hi all... I have a ques.
18 yo male has fever and pain in left foot. it is red and itchy. He is active in sports plays baseball, basket ball and football. On examination left foot big toe is erythematous swollen also involving web spaces. Right foot also has dry fly web spaces. Also has swollen tender lymph node in left groin.
a. staphlococcus
b. pseudomonas
c. trichophyton rubrum
d. e.coli
I think it's Athlete's foot - trichophyton rubrum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #50  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Cockroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_214 View Post
Applied for the July - September period. But I will actively take part in this group and try my best to take the exam in the first week of July.

I am starting to study this Monday, April 13th.

79 days to go till June 30th. Starting with MTB 3 and DIT Step 2 videos. Will start 1 block of UW per day as well.

Anyone else in the same boat as me and just starting to study? Feel free to message me and we can keep each other accountable to study. Thanks
hi john_214.....can u please tell me what is DIT? I am also planning my exam by june end. m currently doing mtb 3, uworld. Started mtb step2ck today itself...keep me posted about your study progress....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #51  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.baig22 View Post
hi all... I have a ques.
18 yo male has fever and pain in left foot. it is red and itchy. He is active in sports plays baseball, basket ball and football. On examination left foot big toe is erythematous swollen also involving web spaces. Right foot also has dry fly web spaces. Also has swollen tender lymph node in left groin.
a. staphlococcus
b. pseudomonas
c. trichophyton rubrum
d. e.coli
i answered trichophyton too... but it came out wrong in nbme... dnt knw what is the real answer... i want to know how to differentiate staph from pseudomona cuz someone wrote its pseudomona but it doesnt make sense to me.. cuz not diabetic not immunocompromised no nail puncture or anything like that.. how it can be pseudo??? atleast for staph evidence is present fever and tender lymph node... Can anyone explain how its pseudomona????? thnxs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default NBME for step 3

hi Guys!

Do u think NBMEs are necessary and helpful to prepare step 3? I just finished uworld qbank (66%) and CCS. Im repeating the incorrect questions and reading MTB 3.

thanks
__________________
234/239/CS (2nd attempt)/2011/need visa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.baig22 View Post
i answered trichophyton too... but it came out wrong in nbme... dnt knw what is the real answer... i want to know how to differentiate staph from pseudomona cuz someone wrote its pseudomona but it doesnt make sense to me.. cuz not diabetic not immunocompromised no nail puncture or anything like that.. how it can be pseudo??? atleast for staph evidence is present fever and tender lymph node... Can anyone explain how its pseudomona????? thnxs...
I thought it was staph. I remember encountering a similar ques in UW step 2 qbank. I think the patient has athletes foot and because of the excessive itching, he likely fissured his skin which caused the BACTERIAL infection to spread all the way to his lymphnodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #54  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny7990 View Post
hi john_214.....can u please tell me what is DIT? I am also planning my exam by june end. m currently doing mtb 3, uworld. Started mtb step2ck today itself...keep me posted about your study progress....
Hi, DIT = Doctor's in Training. I am not too sure how many people rely on this source but since I don't have access to any other step 2 or 3 videos, I am going to watch these along with MTB 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jenny7990 (04-11-2015)
  #55  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.baig22 View Post
hi all... I have a ques.
18 yo male has fever and pain in left foot. it is red and itchy. He is active in sports plays baseball, basket ball and football. On examination left foot big toe is erythematous swollen also involving web spaces. Right foot also has dry fly web spaces. Also has swollen tender lymph node in left groin.
a. staphlococcus
b. pseudomonas
c. trichophyton rubrum
d. e.coli
hi....think answer is A.it is cellulitis..pt has fever, pain, redness, swelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56  
Old 04-12-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to shahkeval
Default preparing step 3

Hello guys,
I am reading MTB 3 and trying to finish it off asap. I have already started few mcqs too....uworld will be the main point to focus. I am also going through a book named step up to step 3..kind of a nice book. I am planning to give it in july with full time research going on...will it be possible ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57  
Old 04-12-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Help

can anyone post neeraj notes here or post the link of neeraj notes of step3 please??
Also, how helpful are you guys finding ck notes for UW step3?? I have'nt started UW step3 yet..

please reply.
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58  
Old 04-13-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

john_214

thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59  
Old 04-18-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Has anyone done the UWSA? I'm finding it hard to finish 48 questions in time (always down to 2 mins with ~4 questions left) Didn't have this problem with previous steps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #60  
Old 04-18-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Has anyone used Dr Conrad Fischer's Step 3 Medquest videos that he made to go with MTB 3? If so was it worth the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #61  
Old 04-20-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 30
Threads: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 25
Ukraine Basic science

Hey, guys!

Does anyone have an idea about the amount of basic science (Step 1 like material) in the new test format. The avarege amount of questions per block, the depth of the material being tested?
Maybe someone was lucky to talk to anybody who have already passed the new test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #62  
Old 04-21-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_serge View Post
Hey, guys!

Does anyone have an idea about the amount of basic science (Step 1 like material) in the new test format. The avarege amount of questions per block, the depth of the material being tested?
Maybe someone was lucky to talk to anybody who have already passed the new test?
This is what another member commented in regard to the same question that I asked him:

Day 1 was FIP and was basically Step 1/a bit Step 2 CK type questions including biostat around 8/block plus drug ads. I solely relied on UWorld and MTB 3 for my prep, try to get a feel how FIP on Uworld is like. I didnt go through Step 1/2CK books except the biostat part of First Aid Step 1 two to three days prior to exam, which is just around 3 pages. Biostat is high yield, the rest of Day 1 is UWorld plus fate , imho. Also, Day 1 felt more like a test of time management rather than knowledge because the q-stems are long, like really long making the impression that they have the intent to fool/distract you. So practice...
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #63  
Old 04-21-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Tayeb View Post
This is what another member commented in regard to the same question that I asked him:

Day 1 was FIP and was basically Step 1/a bit Step 2 CK type questions including biostat around 8/block plus drug ads. I solely relied on UWorld and MTB 3 for my prep, try to get a feel how FIP on Uworld is like. I didnt go through Step 1/2CK books except the biostat part of First Aid Step 1 two to three days prior to exam, which is just around 3 pages. Biostat is high yield, the rest of Day 1 is UWorld plus fate , imho. Also, Day 1 felt more like a test of time management rather than knowledge because the q-stems are long, like really long making the impression that they have the intent to fool/distract you. So practice...

FIP?? what is it
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #64  
Old 04-21-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeer View Post
FIP?? what is it
Foundation of Independent Practice, lol
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (04-22-2015)
  #65  
Old 04-21-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Tayeb View Post
Foundation of Independent Practice, lol
hehe That's OK !!
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #66  
Old 04-24-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 13
Threads: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

M plannin to take step 3 by june end . Doing u world currently. Started 5 days ago. Would love to have a serious study partner on skype or may b whats app where we could discuss.
If anyone is in the initial stages of preparation, lemme know, we could prepare together.
Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #67  
Old 04-28-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

hi guys...

am doing uworld ccs... anyone wants to do all cases practice with me.. plz msg me and let me know what time is convenient... thnxs... my skype id syeda.ameena22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #68  
Old 05-02-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Help

Guys I need urgent help ,....
I just did my first ccs case and messed it up.. I could not understand how the software works,, like where to order physical exam, diagnosis and how to forward the clock.. I know I should have leanred it before starting the case.. I may sound dumb asking these questions... But please help me ... is there any tutorial on UW that helps getting used to the software??
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #69  
Old 05-02-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Default

Anyone ???
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #70  
Old 05-03-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 226
Threads: 13
Thanked 146 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 156
Default

I too have no idea on CCS. I asked someone but honestly I still am clueless. I am starting CCS in two days but i just tried 3-4 sample questions. I don't know when do I forward the clock. All I am told is that I need to put in orders like I would for a real case and the case will end quickly if I am going in the right direction. I tried a dissecting aneurysm case and I did all I could then send consult for surgery but it said nothing required at this time, the patient got worse and time was up. I the feedback, I checked I had done everything they had mentioned but still nothing happened, please can anyone help me understand this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #71  
Old 05-04-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy View Post
I too have no idea on CCS. I asked someone but honestly I still am clueless. I am starting CCS in two days but i just tried 3-4 sample questions. I don't know when do I forward the clock. All I am told is that I need to put in orders like I would for a real case and the case will end quickly if I am going in the right direction. I tried a dissecting aneurysm case and I did all I could then send consult for surgery but it said nothing required at this time, the patient got worse and time was up. I the feedback, I checked I had done everything they had mentioned but still nothing happened, please can anyone help me understand this?

I watched the whole simulation given on usmle.org and I found it to be helpful.. and all my friends said that i need to keep doing the cases.. just practice them again and again... I am doing really bad in ccs... but will keep practicing it.. the more we'll do, the more we'll explore the software..
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #72  
Old 05-04-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 226
Threads: 13
Thanked 146 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 156
Default

Thanks! I also found out a tutorial on YouTube, seems helpful. I would know more once I start CCS day after tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #73  
Old 05-04-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Nixy....can you pls give us the you tube link?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #74  
Old 05-04-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 226
Threads: 13
Thanked 146 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 156
Default

It's step by step guide to CCS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle1981 (05-05-2015)
  #75  
Old 05-05-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Finished day 1 yesterday and felt the questions were straightforward (albeit some rather long) and left feeling rather positive. Lots of biostats as others have said. Focusing mainly on CCS now for day 2 at the end of the week and the expected "bad feeling" after day 2 mcqs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #76  
Old 05-05-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 148
Threads: 40
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Hai Friends,

Have a question for you all.


Is it good to give step 3 exam in consecutive days, or should take a break for 1-3 days time before giving day 2 exam (ACM : Advanced clinical medicine).

Will appreciate your advice...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #77  
Old 05-06-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 147
Threads: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamidi View Post
Hai Friends,

Have a question for you all.


Is it good to give step 3 exam in consecutive days, or should take a break for 1-3 days time before giving day 2 exam (ACM : Advanced clinical medicine).

Will appreciate your advice...!
My first day will be on May 11, I scheduled the second day on May 14. I think it will give me ample time to review the whole cases before going to the exam, which makes me more confident.
__________________
Work harder than you think you did yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (05-06-2015)
  #78  
Old 05-06-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatox View Post
Finished day 1 yesterday and felt the questions were straightforward (albeit some rather long) and left feeling rather positive. Lots of biostats as others have said. Focusing mainly on CCS now for day 2 at the end of the week and the expected "bad feeling" after day 2 mcqs.

Did you see the same concepts as UW??
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #79  
Old 05-08-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 27
Threads: 5
Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

I'm planning to give step 3 in two months. Should I complete the qbank then move onto CCS cases, or should I do them together? Also, does the UWSA include CCS cases? I took an nbme prior to starting prep, and that was only MCQs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #80  
Old 05-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeer View Post
Did you see the same concepts as UW??
Yes and no. UW is still the best resource for the test, in my opinion. MTB 3 was most useful for Day 1 MCQ. Day 2 is sort of a free-for-all with UWorld concepts being helpful. Day 2 was much harder but, gladly, almost all of my CCS cases were from the 90+ UWorld cases. Now waiting for my results..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeer (05-11-2015), kamidi (07-13-2015)
  #81  
Old 05-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 66
Threads: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimo87 View Post
I'm planning to give step 3 in two months. Should I complete the qbank then move onto CCS cases, or should I do them together? Also, does the UWSA include CCS cases? I took an nbme prior to starting prep, and that was only MCQs.
There are no CCS cases in the UWSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeer (05-11-2015)
  #82  
Old 05-11-2015
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 193 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatox View Post
Yes and no. UW is still the best resource for the test, in my opinion. MTB 3 was most useful for Day 1 MCQ. Day 2 is sort of a free-for-all with UWorld concepts being helpful. Day 2 was much harder but, gladly, almost all of my CCS cases were from the 90+ UWorld cases. Now waiting for my results..

so these ccs cases were from the main UW ccs cases or from the extra printable/ written 42 cases ?? please do reply..

Thanks
__________________
Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of Patience.
Knowing grass, I can appreciate Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SKYPE study group-March-April-May-June-July- ginseng plus USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 04-06-2016 04:21 PM
Whatsapp STEP 1 discussion for April-May-June 2015 step takers, only serious candidates DrAmygdala USMLE Step 1 Forum 62 04-07-2015 08:41 AM
NBME 11 - Discussion Group citadel08 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 10-29-2014 09:25 AM
uw q's group discussion hepevirus USMLE Step 2 CK Study Partners 0 05-07-2014 10:11 PM
Step 1 STUDY/DISCUSSION group in The Woodlands, TX Dr_Kal_El USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 09-15-2010 12:33 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)