Step 3 experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 3 Forum

USMLE Step 3 Forum USMLE Step 3 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 3 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 90
Threads: 21
Thanked 70 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 80
Thumbs Up Step 3 experience

Hi all,
I have taken this exam finally. First things first, its not an easy exam, at the same time its not impossible too. I think lots of people have over exaggerated on the difficulty level. Personally I felt the exam was harder than it is because our attitude towards the exam has changed.

Coming to the prep part, my prep was haphazard! I had too many breaks in between. I did UW around 70%, MTB 3 and UW CK notes. UW is the key i guess, like any other exam. For CCS, UW and the first 12 hours of Archer videos are more than sufficient.

Day 1: Questions were long! but similar to UW. I did 3-4 blocks of UW everyday for a week before the exam. I kind of got used to it. Every block had an abstract /drug ad, which was the last question set of all my blocks. Lots of images, but images were easy for me. Most of the blocks had 46 or 47 questions, similar to the pattern in fred. Never had the chance to review marked questions. Missed some questions in the first few blocks in the last minute. But overall I think I did ok.

I was very tired at the end of the day. Slept well. Practised ccs on fred.

Day 2: Extremely tired going to the exam. Question blocks were simple and straight forward as they had less number of questions. Difficulty level too was easier than day 1, a few questions were hard. CCS was the best part. It was a cake walk. Simple cases, maybe I felt they were simple because I practised uw for 4 times. didnt go through the 42 cases on the uw website though. I took a break after every 2 cases and was very relaxed. finished the exam with one hour to spare.

If you scored well on CK, then most of the questions are doable, just do UW well, I didnt finish it and wouldn't advice anyone to do the same.

Bottomline is the same thing I have been stressing upon for all the exams. Consolidate the material in a short time. The longer you spend on prep, the harder it gets. Follow your instincts. Will post my score when I get it.
Good luck! Smash it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
akskam (04-08-2014), bluemoon (08-03-2015), Bzah (03-24-2014), dr.Zh (03-24-2014), geo82 (03-24-2014), hani daffodil (04-09-2014), neox (01-06-2015), sumedha (03-28-2014), tamta (12-06-2014), Teona (03-24-2014), usmled10 (11-26-2014)



  #2  
Old 03-24-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default Very similar experience as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutamate View Post
Hi all,
I have taken this exam finally. First things first, its not an easy exam, at the same time its not impossible too. I think lots of people have over exaggerated on the difficulty level. Personally I felt the exam was harder than it is because our attitude towards the exam has changed.

Coming to the prep part, my prep was haphazard! I had too many breaks in between. I did UW around 70%, MTB 3 and UW CK notes. UW is the key i guess, like any other exam. For CCS, UW and the first 12 hours of Archer videos are more than sufficient.

Day 1: Questions were long! but similar to UW. I did 3-4 blocks of UW everyday for a week before the exam. I kind of got used to it. Every block had an abstract /drug ad, which was the last question set of all my blocks. Lots of images, but images were easy for me. Most of the blocks had 46 or 47 questions, similar to the pattern in fred. Never had the chance to review marked questions. Missed some questions in the first few blocks in the last minute. But overall I think I did ok.

I was very tired at the end of the day. Slept well. Practised ccs on fred.

Day 2: Extremely tired going to the exam. Question blocks were simple and straight forward as they had less number of questions. Difficulty level too was easier than day 1, a few questions were hard. CCS was the best part. It was a cake walk. Simple cases, maybe I felt they were simple because I practised uw for 4 times. didnt go through the 42 cases on the uw website though. I took a break after every 2 cases and was very relaxed. finished the exam with one hour to spare.

If you scored well on CK, then most of the questions are doable, just do UW well, I didnt finish it and wouldn't advice anyone to do the same.

Bottomline is the same thing I have been stressing upon for all the exams. Consolidate the material in a short time. The longer you spend on prep, the harder it gets. Follow your instincts. Will post my score when I get it.
Good luck! Smash it!
Well said! I had a similar experience with the exam too only I didn't get to use Archer but UW is quite sufficient. Rested well after Day 1 cos I needed to stay sharp for the CCS cases. Now we wait for the results...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
geo82 (03-24-2014), glutamate (03-25-2014)
  #3  
Old 03-29-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 134
Threads: 40
Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutamate View Post
Hi all,
I have taken this exam finally. First things first, its not an easy exam, at the same time its not impossible too. I think lots of people have over exaggerated on the difficulty level. Personally I felt the exam was harder than it is because our attitude towards the exam has changed.

Coming to the prep part, my prep was haphazard! I had too many breaks in between. I did UW around 70%, MTB 3 and UW CK notes. UW is the key i guess, like any other exam. For CCS, UW and the first 12 hours of Archer videos are more than sufficient.

Day 1: Questions were long! but similar to UW. I did 3-4 blocks of UW everyday for a week before the exam. I kind of got used to it. Every block had an abstract /drug ad, which was the last question set of all my blocks. Lots of images, but images were easy for me. Most of the blocks had 46 or 47 questions, similar to the pattern in fred. Never had the chance to review marked questions. Missed some questions in the first few blocks in the last minute. But overall I think I did ok.

I was very tired at the end of the day. Slept well. Practised ccs on fred.

Day 2: Extremely tired going to the exam. Question blocks were simple and straight forward as they had less number of questions. Difficulty level too was easier than day 1, a few questions were hard. CCS was the best part. It was a cake walk. Simple cases, maybe I felt they were simple because I practised uw for 4 times. didnt go through the 42 cases on the uw website though. I took a break after every 2 cases and was very relaxed. finished the exam with one hour to spare.

If you scored well on CK, then most of the questions are doable, just do UW well, I didnt finish it and wouldn't advice anyone to do the same.

Bottomline is the same thing I have been stressing upon for all the exams. Consolidate the material in a short time. The longer you spend on prep, the harder it gets. Follow your instincts. Will post my score when I get it.
Good luck! Smash it!
I am planning to start preparation...I have already finished step 2 ck 6 month back with score of 240....can you advise me hoe can I prepare for step 3 in just 2 months...thanks in advasne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-29-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default How to Quickly Prepare for USMLE step 3 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short View Post
I am planning to start preparation...I have already finished step 2 ck 6 month back with score of 240....can you advise me hoe can I prepare for step 3 in just 2 months...thanks in advasne
Two months is a Short time but not impossible. You must devote good amount of time for CCS and time for MCQS. Practice CCS daily because they are so important in reaching the passing score. ;Losing one CCS case will cost you 2 percentage points meaning you are drifting far away from Step 3 pass score. So, try not to lose any CCS case at all. MCQs can be difficult and vague so by doing very well on CCS we can reduce our reliance on MCQs to pass this exam.
For CCS : Pick up one quick review video CCS course ( I am doing Archer which is great , there is no other that directly educates you on strategies) and one practice CCS course ( UW CCS software, there is no other that is close to primum) .

For Theory : Pick up one quick review book ( MTB is good quick book but watch for errors and correct those and master the rest in MTB), pick one quick review video Theory course that teaches you concepts in simple way but efficiently ( Archer 36 hour course is best for this, Quick to finish and excellent teaching of concepts) and then pick one QUESTION BANK ( I am doing UWORLD step 3 which is great , do more qbanks like Kaplan and Archer free questions if you have time, they are great too)

For self-testing : Do NBME practice test and Practice CCS on PRIMUM to get oriented thoroughly with the software. UW CCS software has quite a bit of errors and you do not want those timing differences to let you down - so practice on exam primum software from usmle.org thoroughly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-31-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 134
Threads: 40
Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma View Post
Two months is a Short time but not impossible. You must devote good amount of time for CCS and time for MCQS. Practice CCS daily because they are so important in reaching the passing score. ;Losing one CCS case will cost you 2 percentage points meaning you are drifting far away from Step 3 pass score. So, try not to lose any CCS case at all. MCQs can be difficult and vague so by doing very well on CCS we can reduce our reliance on MCQs to pass this exam.
For CCS : Pick up one quick review video CCS course ( I am doing Archer which is great , there is no other that directly educates you on strategies) and one practice CCS course ( UW CCS software, there is no other that is close to primum) .

For Theory : Pick up one quick review book ( MTB is good quick book but watch for errors and correct those and master the rest in MTB), pick one quick review video Theory course that teaches you concepts in simple way but efficiently ( Archer 36 hour course is best for this, Quick to finish and excellent teaching of concepts) and then pick one QUESTION BANK ( I am doing UWORLD step 3 which is great , do more qbanks like Kaplan and Archer free questions if you have time, they are great too)

For self-testing : Do NBME practice test and Practice CCS on PRIMUM to get oriented thoroughly with the software. UW CCS software has quite a bit of errors and you do not want those timing differences to let you down - so practice on exam primum software from usmle.org thoroughly
I am interested in preparing quickly....planning to do just MTB 3 and UW...Will it be fine?....I just want to pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-02-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 90
Threads: 21
Thanked 70 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

you should be fine with MTB 3 and UW! aim to score higher and you might end up passing the test. I would advice to prep until you get a decent score on the assesment! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short View Post
I am interested in preparing quickly....planning to do just MTB 3 and UW...Will it be fine?....I just want to pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-02-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short View Post
I am interested in preparing quickly....planning to do just MTB 3 and UW...Will it be fine?....I just want to pass...
If you had a very good step 2CK score above 90, anything is fine. But MTB does not cover even 30% of tested concepts on step 3. UW Q bank covers a bit so, if your UW averages are very good, this limited prep may be sufficient - but you still need to ace on CCS. My UW averages in the beginning were at 60%. I did Archer and am repeating UW now and my averages are at 75%, Archer does cover a huge number of OP primary topics quite well and these are high-yield on step 3. So if you have time do theory and ccs from Archer, it does not take long and makes a hell of difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-08-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 90
Threads: 21
Thanked 70 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default got my score

ok. I'm relieved. passed it! 209.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.Zh (04-09-2014), tespina2 (05-07-2014)
  #9  
Old 04-09-2014
dr.Zh's Avatar
Guest
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 123
Threads: 15
Thanked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Reputation: 131
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutamate View Post
ok. I'm relieved. passed it! 209.
Congratulations!!!!

Many many congratulations!!!
Thank you for sharing with us your experience!!!

God bless!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
glutamate (04-09-2014)
  #10  
Old 11-26-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutamate View Post
ok. I'm relieved. passed it! 209.
Congrats. Wonder why people only wanna pass this test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 12-06-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 20
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default Rare DISCOUNT Step 3 USMLE Rx QBank ONLY $139 Till You Pass [EXPIRES in 4 days]

Our class negotiated this deal*shorter this time*, thought I would pass it on! Hope it helps someone.

Till You Pass Step 3 Qmax subscription* for only $139! Thatís almost 50% off the regular subscription price of $399.. [EXPIRES December 10th, 2014]


Includes: Till You Pass Step 3 Qmax Question Bank. The Till You Pass subscription gives you 12 months to take your exam, and up to more 12 months to pass. They will even let you purchase the subscription now and delay its start date for up to 6 months.

PROMO CODE: GDQMAX3


This is the best promotion that First Aid/USMLERx offers each year, so even if you don't want to start your subscription now, I recommend purchasing this now and opting to start your subscription at a later start date (e.g., save now, use later).

Disclaimer: This Promo Code expires December 10th, 2014. This discount cannot be combined with any other discounts. This is a new purchase promotion only (i.e., does not work on extensions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My step 2 CS experience sndhgrvr USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 8 05-21-2016 01:50 PM
Step 1 Experience...May help some sonu.agarwall USMLE Step 1 Forum 37 11-04-2014 02:57 AM
Step 3 experience leincendie USMLE Step 3 Forum 6 03-14-2014 11:24 AM
step one experience obinocle USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 03-07-2013 05:19 PM
My experience - Step 2 CK, 99 OTAV USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 09-21-2012 01:47 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)