Preference of Step 3 by top med schools? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 3 Forum

USMLE Step 3 Forum USMLE Step 3 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 3 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 9
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Listening Preference of Step 3 by top med schools?

I would be getting my graduation degree in Jan 2013
I am very confused regarding step 3 importance & if i should do it. I will have to plan my exams accordingly..

Q1. Does a step3 score help an IMG to get preference over other IMGs in TOP MED SCHOOLS or is it merely for H1b visa.

Q2. If student 'A' has 5 months of USCE but no stp 3, student 'B' has 3 months of USCE & step3
and rest all the filters (research, LOR,CV) is same for both of the students, then who will get a preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-05-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4929
Default

Step 3 has very little significance to differentiate between candidates specially in the case of top medical schools.

Top medical schools means you have to have high Step 1 and CK scores, and when you have high scores in Step 1 and CK, the program directors won't be worried about you passing Step 3 and therefore it has no significance.

While in the case of low profile residencies, it means you might be considered even if you have low Step 1 and CK scores and in that case the program director migth be worried that you won't pass Step 3 and therefore if you have it, it will be an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman View Post
Q2. If student 'A' has 5 months of USCE but no stp 3, student 'B' has 3 months of USCE & step3
and rest all the filters (research, LOR,CV) is same for both of the students, then who will get a preference?
I'd say both of them stands the same chance. The issue here is not that Step 3 is important but it's the two months of USCE difference that's no big deal which leads me to think that both students stands the same chances.

However, let me emphesize that if you need H1B visa then Step 3 is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
anshuman (03-05-2011)
  #3  
Old 03-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 9
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default visa issue

Thanks Sabio for the information..

In my case I don't want a green card but want to complete my fellow there, & do 2 yrs of job in some good standing hospital and then come back to India.

I got few questions

1. ON which visa do the med schools generally accept students on?.J1 or B1?

2. and I guess the visa is for the period of residency and then if I need to do a fellow then I would apply for extension of visa. (and this stands true for both J1 n B1) CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG HERE.

3. and now after the fellow program if I want to do job in a good standing hospital then i need to do a waiver program in some not so good hospital and then apply to the good ones. am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-06-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4929
Default

Hospitals usually sponsor either J1 or H1B visas.

In your case (if you are not looking for Green Card) then it's better and easier to get J1 Visa.

For details about the waiver options for the J1 Visa please read here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/general-...r-waivers.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 38
Threads: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman View Post
I would be getting my graduation degree in Jan 2013
I am very confused regarding step 3 importance & if i should do it. I will have to plan my exams accordingly..

Q1. Does a step3 score help an IMG to get preference over other IMGs in TOP MED SCHOOLS or is it merely for H1b visa.

Q2. If student 'A' has 5 months of USCE but no stp 3, student 'B' has 3 months of USCE & step3
and rest all the filters (research, LOR,CV) is same for both of the students, then who will get a preference?
Well i am also very much confused about step3 , i have fair step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score . CS first attempt , 1 month observer ship , 1month Extern ship ( teaching hospital , community based ) , cnt risk to screw my CV by getting a low step 3 score , but recently a lot of IMGs , and even residents are talking about step 3, that without step 3 IMGs dnt even get a single interview ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 9
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAJCH View Post
Well i am also very much confused about step3 , i have fair step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score . CS first attempt , 1 month observer ship , 1month Extern ship ( teaching hospital , community based ) , cnt risk to screw my CV by getting a low step 3 score , but recently a lot of IMGs , and even residents are talking about step 3, that without step 3 IMGs dnt even get a single interview ,
Dr.AJCH
like sabio said, & i hv also found out form other people that step 3 has 3 importance.

1.it makes u eligible to apply for h1
2.u cn increase ur interview calls form avg/low strata residency programs.
3.if u hav low score u cn prove urself in step3 nd increase d chances lill bit.

in your case its definitely the 3rd reason dt applies much more than any thing, considering the steep rise in competition and gradual increase of AMGs!!!

BUT UR POINT THAT WITHOUT STEP3 U WONT GET INTERVIEW IS COMPLETELY WRONG. like i said it merely increases the numbr of interview calls by lill number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 38
Threads: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman View Post
Dr.AJCH
like sabio said, & i hv also found out form other people that step 3 has 3 importance.

1.it makes u eligible to apply for h1
2.u cn increase ur interview calls form avg/low strata residency programs.
3.if u hav low score u cn prove urself in step3 nd increase d chances lill bit.

in your case its definitely the 3rd reason dt applies much more than any thing, considering the steep rise in competition and gradual increase of AMGs!!!

BUT UR POINT THAT WITHOUT STEP3 U WONT GET INTERVIEW IS COMPLETELY WRONG. like i said it merely increases the numbr of interview calls by lill number

Thanks for the reply , but i brought this issue up here cause i am in U.S these days , and in contact with lots of residents , they say that my scores are competitive , but now trends are changing , almost 65%of IMGs are applying after taking step3 , even ppl with good scores. wELL BUT I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THE HELP PROVIDED BY THE FORUM , I followed it in my step1 got 93 , followed it in step2ck got 99 , so i will follow it for guidance in the future also . THANKS USMLE FORUM .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CK+CS
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman View Post
in your case its definitely the 3rd reason dt applies much more than any thing, considering the steep rise in competition and gradual increase of AMGs!!!
disagree,
step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score, is relatively competitive and does not need any compensation.
you made it sound like that Dr.Ajch failed or had scores bellow 200.

facts:
1) A good step 3 score will ALWAYS help you.
2) A passing score of step 3 is essential for an IMG with previously failed step 1 or 2 scores, to prove to the resident committee that they will not be a problem later on.
3) failing step 3 (which is more common than step 1 and 2) will significantly hurt your chances.


so it is all about taking risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-01-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 38
Threads: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99er View Post
disagree,
step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score, is relatively competitive and does not need any compensation.
you made it sound like that Dr.Ajch failed or had scores bellow 200.

facts:
1) A good step 3 score will ALWAYS help you.
2) A passing score of step 3 is essential for an IMG with previously failed step 1 or 2 scores, to prove to the resident committee that they will not be a problem later on.
3) failing step 3 (which is more common than step 1 and 2) will significantly hurt your chances.


so it is all about taking risks.
Thank you 99er ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Match-Probability, Step-3-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer of Credits between Medical Schools Pacific ECFMG Forum 6 05-13-2016 08:27 AM
Training and Jobs in American Medical Schools Dr. N Elham General Topics Forum 2 02-26-2011 04:33 PM
Two diplomas from different medical schools! dima83 General Topics Forum 4 01-31-2011 12:08 PM
Indian Medical Schools Initializing Last Name? echilon ECFMG Forum 2 10-21-2010 06:01 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)