USMLE Forums banner

Different First and Last Name

29K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  Anonymousx 
#1 ·
When I registered first, I typed my first and last name as Mohammad Gad, but my full name is MOHAMMAD ABDELWAHHAB HEMEDA GAD on my passport and medical diploma and transcript, so what's the best should I do? send a letter from the dean affirming that the name on the document "photocopy of my passport" and the name in ECFMG record belong to one and the same person?

#37 ·
The previous letter stated that the names on degree and passport are same, didn't mention anything about the name on ecfmg record in that letter. The rejection letter wants me to send in a letter from uni comparing my degree name to the ecfmg record name and not the passport. Yes the fees was credited. Can I change my triplet period now since I'm sending the online part again?

#38 ·
I am not sure I completely understand you with regard to the letter. Its best not to include words like passport or ecfmg record or degree on the letter you submit. This is from the ecfmg booklet and its best if you can get the letter stating this,
Using an example where name of the degree is Randy G and on ecfmg record is Randy Greg",

This certifies that the names "Randy G" and "Randy Greg" belong to one and the same person.

That's it.

Yes, I believe you will have the chance to put a different three month eligibilty period as you will be starting the application again (not a 100% sure about this though).

#40 ·
Hi everyone
i typed my name first/middle ahmed moustafa -- last elkhashen
While in the passport it is ahmed moustafa ahmed anter elkhashen
And now I'm applying to step 1 exam and completed the online part and preparing the other part and 183 form cause I'm a student, so should i send 182 form along the papers to request a correction or send it later after the schedule permit and request a revised schedule permit ... Help please :scared:

#41 ·
So you missed "ahmed anter" in your last name while doing the online appplication?
You should definitely start the process for changing the name in your ecfmg record if it doesn't exactly match the passport or other acceptable national identification. If the name on scheduling permit (=name on ecfmg record) does not match that in the passport, you will not be allowed to take the exam. I guess can send all the documents at the same time (form 182,183 and photocopy of your passport), so that everything is processed at the same time and a scheduling permit with the revised name is issued or just send form 183 and once the permit is available send form 182 and passport copy to change the name. The first option is obviously more time and money saving.

#44 ·
difference in my name

hello,
Actually in my passport
Surname : Shah
Given names : Kruti Dineshkumar
To obtain ECFMG identification number in wrote
Shah in last name field and kruti Dineshkumar in rest of name field.
My all documents and my degree certificate also have name : Shah Kruti Dineshkumar.
problem is that i got my Id number and when i logged in it is showing my name as Shah, Kruti Dineshkumar
This comma after Shah is not correct. Please help me out. what should i do ..

#46 ·
hello
but it is sooo complicated
as i said earlier in my passport and in my all doctuments my name is
Shah Kruti Dineshkumar
But in ecfmg certification my last name is Shah and rest on name is Kruti dineshkumar
so its showing me Kruti Dineshkumar Shah

now what should i do?
please help me out

#47 ·
Weird that it happened. Anyways, you just have a take a letter from your Dean saying that the names Kruti Dineshkumar Shah and Shah Kruti Dineshkumar belong to one and the same individual. You can find the exact format of the letter on the ECFMG website. You need to submit the letter when you send your degree to ECFMG.

#49 ·

That's it. When you send the degree to ECFMG for credentials verification, you have to send the letter verifying the name as well. Take a couple of copies of the letter as you may need it while uploading your MSPE in the future.

#50 ·
hi ..i am an img from india currently doing my internship..i was applying for step 1 as student and had a doubt about the name rules
my name on my passport is
surname-syed
given name-faisal hussain

on all my transcripts/memos and all other my name is syed faisal hussain

i haven't yet received my diploma(as i am still a student) but i will get it next year and my name on my diploma will be SYED FAISAL HUSSAIN

now ecfmg has first name....middle name....last name(surname)

how do i enter my name so that it finally comes as syed faisal hussain on my ecfmg record and on my scheduling permit?

american way of writting the name is they write the surname in the end but in india its mostly written in the front
now ecfmg states in its rules to enter the family name/surname as last name

if i go by this and enter my last name(surname) as syed according to my passport..my ecfmg name will come as FAISAL HUSSAIN SYED which is different from the name on my diploma/transcripts and all

how do i write the sequence of my name??..plzz help cause if this goes wrong i will again have to go through the verification process which will take more time

#51 ·
Well, if you were to do it you would put in Syed as your first name and Faisal Hussain as last name in the ECFMG record. But I would not advise you to do that. The name in the ECFMG record and passport has to match exactly and if there is any difference you will not be allowed to sit for the exams. Just put in the way it is in the passport, take the letter verifying the name and submit it alobg with the degree. There should not be any problem with the verification process if you get the letter in the way ECFMG wants you to. I know lot of people who had to verify their name and none of them had any issues with credentials verification.

#53 ·
If you are applying as a student for step 1, then you have to send the letter verifying the name along with step 1 application form. You will have to send the same letter again with your degree (or every time you apply as a student). So take a few original copies of it.

#55 ·
Hi once again
Regarding this,I just read on the ecfmg 2017 booklet that to verify the name we can send a copy of our passport ,birth certificate etc and they said that the letter from the college is an alternative to this. That means if i send a copy of my passport it will be enough to verify my name on ecfmg and diploma right? i won't have to submit the letter from my college?

#56 ·
guys i need help plz asap
we only use full name here (4 names) for example if my name is 1 2 3 4 and in my passport my name is first name: 1 and last name: 2 3 4 does the last name in my ecfmg have to be the 4th name? because i prefer to use the 3rd name as my last name

#58 ·
Get a letter from your medical school saying both the names belong to the same person (you can find the exact wording of the letter on the ECFMG website or booklet under "Verifying your name"). Once you get the letter, send it to ECFMG along with the exam application.

#60 ·
In Reply to confusions

All questions asked are mixed and is cases by case and confusing.

1) Name on your diploma need not match your name on ecfmg. (For name change/Name change due to marriage) But for verifying credentials you need the name same as in diploma. Doing so will still keep the current name and still will verify based on previous/diploma name.

Example name change due to marriage- you can have it as current name as long as you have a marriage certificate or new passport with changed name. This document is required when used for entering examination hall to verify identity.

Now same person has maiden name in diploma . They need to send the copy of proof of maiden name to verify credentials to ecfmg. This can be birth certificate/marriage certifcate. If you dont have so alternatively you can send letter on med school letter head stating both are names of same person.

Hence if you never had any name change it should match your diploma and it will anyway match your ecfmg name.

The bottom line is proof of name change if you want to use current name in ecfmg. Other proof on old name if med school name is old name.

Changing or Verifying Your Name

Changing Your Name
If you have legally changed your name and want to request a change of name in your ECFMG record, send a completed Request to Change Applicant Biographic Information (Form 182) to ECFMG. Form 182 is available in the Resources section of the ECFMG website and from ECFMG, upon request. Form 182 requires you to provide a reason for the name change and must be accompanied by a photocopy of the appropriate document(s), as defined on Form 182. ECFMG must be able to determine from the document(s) you submit that your name has legally changed from the name currently in your ECFMG record to the name you are requesting to appear in your record and that you are using this new name consistently. This means that it may be necessary for you to submit more than one document to support your name change request. For the purpose of changing your name, the document(s) you provide must be unexpired (if applicable). These documents may include:

Passport (including the pages with your photograph and the expiration date)
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate
Official court order
U.S. Resident Alien Card
U.S. Naturalization Certificate
U.S. Passport Card (a one-page document that includes your photograph and the expiration date)
See additional important information on documents below.

Important Notes: If you change the name in your ECFMG record while you are registered for an exam, a revised scheduling permit reflecting this change will be issued; you can access the revised scheduling permit by accessing IWA. You must present the revised scheduling permit at the test center on your exam date. Name changes must be received and processed by ECFMG no later than seven business days before your testing appointment, or you will not be able to test.
If you have a valid Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) on file with ECFMG, it will be invalidated when the name in your ECFMG record is changed, and you will be required to complete a new Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) the next time you apply for examination.
Verifying Your Name
If the name in your ECFMG record is correct but this name does not match exactly your name as listed on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential, you must verify that the name on these documents is (or was) your name. To verify your name, send to ECFMG a photocopy of one of the documents listed above that verifies the name on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential. The name in your ECFMG record will not be changed if you are verifying your name.

As an alternative to one of the documents listed above, ECFMG will accept for purposes of verifying your name a letter from an authorized official of your medical school that verifies that the name on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential is (or was) your name. If you choose to submit a letter from your medical school to verify the name on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential, the letter must be signed by an authorized official of your medical school. The letter you submit must be written on your medical school's letterhead. The letter must include the following statement:

This certifies that the names [name on document] and [name in ECFMG record] belong to one and the same person.
The document(s) you send must show your name exactly as it appears on your medical diploma/transcript.

See additional important information on documents below.

Important Information on Documents for Changing or Verifying Your Name
Attestations and affidavits are not acceptable as documentation to change or verify your name.
Please do not submit an original document; a photocopy of the document is sufficient.
All documents submitted to change or verify your name that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation that meets ECFMG's translation requirements. See English Translations in Medical Education Credentials.
All documents submitted to change or verify your name, including translations, will become a part of your permanent ECFMG record and will not be returned to you.

#65 ·
Firstly You Need to refer your name like First Name, Surname/lastname and middle name.

From my understanding Your FN: Shubi, LN: Jain , Middle: Pradip/Pradipkumar.

Since Passport dont show middle name i think you may have it added in your FN : Shubi Pradip.

I am not sure which document came first/with a mistake. I believe firstly in your passport when you apply one, is your name not as per your 10th ?

Secondly is your name on diploma not as per 10th again ?

If the Answer to above is yes, i would infact correct my passport with FN: Shubi Pradip. to make it consistent.

If name on your diploma is not consistent from your 10th /10+2 then its better to correct Diploma.

However the above being the ideal way, You can create Ecfmg account as per your name on passport exactly and verify your med credentials as per degree name with a supporting Deans letter being must.

Hie all!i am a graduate. My name on my passport is jain shubhi pradipkumar and the name on my medical school marksheet is jain shubhi pradip. pradip is my dad's name and jain my surname.. my medical diploma is yet to come after 3 months and i havent registered in ecfmg yet..but when i read the booklet as i sat for registration..it said that your name on medical school diploma and the name on your passport should be exactly the same. it is not exactly the same so what should i do? try to change my name in my medical school diploma/passport? or should my diploma come and i take a letter from dean that both the person are same and send it to ecfmg. also my name shubhi is in middle so do i need to change the sequence also? please help! i feel panicked.:scared:

#66 ·
My full name is Chen Jia Ting, with ‘Chen’ being my family name, and ‘Jia Ting’ as my given name. Due to the culture in my country my family name is written first followed by my given name. My name was written as ‘Chen Jia Ting’ in all the documents such as birth certificate, passport, and medical degree certificate.

If I were to put my last name on the application for ECFMG certification as ‘Chen’, and given name as ‘Jia Ting’, my name will be written as ‘Jia Ting Chen’ which is correct but different from the name shown in all my forms of identification.

Should I put the whole name ‘Chen Jia Ting’ in the last name section as all my forms of identification did not break my name down into first and last name?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.