USMLE Forums banner

to anyone with "failed" in their result

13K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  majorp 
#1 · (Edited)
(post in response to multiple PMs.. no offense to anyone.)

Firstly...

Extremely sorry to hear about your result.. and i know that its a very tough thing to accept.. after the tonns of hard work you put in.

BUT TRUST ME WHEN I SAY.. YOU CAN OVERCOME IT!
A little history here... i failed on my first attempt.. with a 74 in the 2 digit score.. can u believe it.. just one point!

2nd attempt--- 240/85!!

Secondly..

1- treat it just as another test in your life that you didnt do well on!
dont make this test bigger than it is! your life doesnt revolve around this one day!.. yeah its important.. but its just another stepping stone... if u didnt make it on the first time.. and u really want to do it.. u can try again.

2- figure out what went wrong?

On the day that you gave the test.. was it that
a] you didnt know what they were talking about in the questions?
this could be either that you were lacking in concepts over stuff u did do
or​
you thought you didnt study in enough detail and it was superficial
or​
there was stuff you didnt do at all or skipped over trying to make a deadline/taking a shortcut to something.

b] too much stress on test day

ANSWERS AS TO HOW TO GO FORWARD
1- decide in your mind that you truly want this
It is a very hard decision to make.. weigh both the pros and cons for it.. and then go ahead with whatever suits you best.
Make sure ur decision is not in the moment or just a rush of adrenaline... cos it is a hard path ahead... with lots of effort!
it will be worse if you step into something and want to back out at a later date without appearing. Take a practical decision rather than an emotional one...

Practical its my dream and hell yeah i can do it .. its just another test i can overcome it. accepting the hardships!

Emotional -- i failed.. my life is ruined.. i will never make it.. so why try

Practical I know its hard. I failed. its a ton of cash. i hv no support system... etc etc. id be better off in my own country

Emotional No way.. this test is stupid.. i will show you!!!

(over simplifying things.. just for laughs.. but you get what im trying to say!)

2--if for the "what was wrong" question above you picked...
""a] you didnt know what they were talking about in the questions? ""
for any of the reasons

and for anyone that says.. no you have failed.. u are an IMG .. you will not get any interviews.. you will not match... etc etc.. just a very simple answer.. straight out of the mouth of a very well reputed doctor and another PD for medicine in NY (sorry no names).... GET A 240 AND ABOVE ON UR SECOND ATTEMPT.. N YOU CAN GET OVER THE DAMAGE BY UR FAILED ATTEMPT.

still editing post.....

See less See more
#2 ·
(sorry for the reply here.. the earlier post ran out of time limit to edit)

2--if for the "what was wrong" question above you picked...
""a] you didnt know what they were talking about in the questions? ""
for any of the reasons
the base line is that you need to REDO your stuff!

Q] I put in my 100% but still didnt do well...
you might hv put in ur 100% the first time.. and worked really really hard.. but maybe you put in ur 100% in the wrong direction...

for eg-- lets take micro: if you concentrated alot on Typhoid.. pertussis.. parasites.. etc etc (stuff very imp in my home country.. but rare in USA) but didnt do Ricketssia or Histo and Blasto (stuff imp in USA) with the same amount of time.. it was like putting in all the effort but to the stuff that was relatively less important!

it is very important to study SMARTLY and RELEVANT to the USmle...

Q] How much time can i take it in again?

someone advised me right after i got my result...
"just redo uworld again.. do FA and give it again" my reply--HELL NO!

please understand.. it is important to go over the concepts again.. doing just uworld or FA is not going to achieve that.. those are tools to APPLY your concepts...
you will hv to go over a core book again... but theres a plus point to it...
it will go much faster.. cos you will know most of the stuff from before.. it will be familiar... and this time you will see applications that u may hv previously looked over.. and also will be able to concentrate on weaker aspects which you felt uncomfortable with in the beginning.

Give it time.. it is an immense amount of knowledge and it is a human life you will deal with.. dont take a shortcut

heres what i recommend (based on what i did. a second opinion is always welcome)

1- KAPLAN

first take the free diagnostic exam to see the subjects you lack most in

START-- with the subject you hate most or are most uncomfortable with!

LIVE LECTURES?--- if you can afford them.. i would highly recommend..
the stuff they are teaching you is all from the notes.. YES.
its all in the videos--- YES
then whats different--- REINFORCEMENT and APPLICATION OF CONCEPTS!

IF no live lectures...

do kaplan.. again.. all of it... EVERY TEXT BOOK... EVERY WORD!
at the end of every concept.. think.. how would u apply this in a different subject? how will this apply clinically.. make the connections.

if u hv any doubts or anything you dont get.. watch the videos ONLY for that.
if you still dont get it.. no matter how small the doubt.. DONT OVERLOOK IT
try USMLE-FORUMS.... Happy-2
the support here is immense! and someone will always get back to you.

2- KAPLAN QBOOK
do this at the end of every subject.. take one test.. see where you stand.. see what u need to redo.. n look at it again!

3- GOLJAN
great great book for patho... relates the concepts well.. makes good co-relations

4--AFTER DOING 1-2-3--------> KAPLAN QBANK

WHY?-- because it makes the kaplan books turn into PERMANENT KNOWLEDGE in your mind! stuff you thought u know.. but may hv still overlooked.... trust me i was amazed at the applications of things i still didnt know even after taking live lectures!
really really re-inforces ur kaplan notes.

books to read with qbank---- for first 50% u will need to do it with the kaplan notes.. cos it'll be mostly new stuff that u missed
for latter 50% -- its mostly repeated concepts.. can do it with either ME or FA.

5-Take an assessment
either re-take the kaplan diagnostic exam (its free!)
or take an nbme(but dont be disappointed with the score)

6--DIT+FA with simultaneously doint 7-UWORLD
do the first read of FA with DIT! its really good..
if you cannot do the videos.... do the just the WORKSHEETS they give with it.. they are good enough

everyday do atleast 2-3 blocks of uworld --- will go faster after kaplan qbank.
for every question.. open up FA and read it. mark stuff that questions were asked on.. so when u revise FA you pay attention to those things more.
make notes of stuff you didnt know at all or is new!

8] at 50% uworld.. take an NBME
take the recent ones... see where u stand..

9]COMPLETE UWORLD

10]take another NBME
based on this decide whether u are ready or not... see the improvement.
see the weak areas.. work on them more..

***untill now all qbanks were in RANDOM TIMED MODE OF BLOCKS OF 46***

11] Redoing Uworld

i re-did it with
SYSTEM WISE--- TUTOR/TIMED (2-3blocks) + RANDOM TIMED (2-3blocks)
why?--- because it helped me with revising FA..
when i had a new wrong answer.. or a previously incorrect question.. i went over that concept in FA in that system and figured out where my thinking went wrong!..
at the end of the day--- looked over FA for that system again! (more than half of it was done with the questions already)

plus the random timed blocks made me stay in touch with all the other stuff and made me work with my timing.

other stuff you might want to do

look at path pictures--- webpath/baronerocks.com or just google images!
redo the DIT worksheets.
do the offline nbmes!
take another nbme if required...

#3 ·
b] too much stress on test day
INTELLECTUALIZE---

the two most common things that i had stress about was TIMING of breaks.. and WHAT IF I DONT DO WELL?

1- timing...
i overcame this part.. by just realizing that the break time was enough to take a 5 minute break after every single block! just realizing that i would hv time to relax.. made me feel comfortable!
i mean even while practicing at home.. you dont take a break after every block!!

on test day even if you do 2 blocks at a time you can take 10-15 minutes breaks roughly after them!

(i know it sounds stupid but it helped me alot)

2- WHAT IF I DONT DO WELL!
my question to you-- why wont you??????

HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF and in your knowledge!
the BEST thing about the USMLE is that it is CONCEPT BASED

you cannot UNLEARN knowledge and concepts you already have!
so if uv worked the right way and really understood the stuff.. there is no way in hell you wont do well!! ITS THAT SIMPLE!
ACCEPT IT and stop beating urself up unnecessarily
smile and go and ROCK the test!

the journey is long and tiring-- there are days you will want to give up.
wake up every morning and realize how it would feel .. how much happiness it would give you to pass.. and secure a residency here...
get up and kick urself every morning.. uv come so far.. u cannot go on for a few more days???

if you give up on ur own self.. whos gonna stand by you?

and again im repeating----
and for anyone that says.. no you have failed.. u are an IMG .. you will not get any interviews.. you will not match... etc etc.. just a very simple answer.. straight out of the mouth of a very well reputed doctor and another PD for medicine in NY (sorry no names).... GET A 240 AND ABOVE ON UR SECOND ATTEMPT.. N YOU CAN GET OVER THE DAMAGE BY UR FAILED ATTEMPT.

dont let someone else tear down your dreams.. you have it in you to do it!!
if you didnt.. HOW DID YOU GET THRU MED SCHOOL? :)

stay positive.. there is nothing to be gained by doubting urself!

(i guess iv summed everything up at the top of my head... busy with step 2 prep so if u guys think iv missed anything please do let me know! will respond as soon as i can...

heres my earlier posts.. hope they help
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/22585-mbbs2010-score-results-today.html
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/21166-mbbs2010-exam-experience.html)

#10 ·
So what r ur thoughts about failing twice already? What do i need to get on the third attempt? What are my chances of getting residency? Thanks

INTELLECTUALIZE---

the two most common things that i had stress about was TIMING of breaks.. and WHAT IF I DONT DO WELL?

1- timing...
i overcame this part.. by just realizing that the break time was enough to take a 5 minute break after every single block! just realizing that i would hv time to relax.. made me feel comfortable!
i mean even while practicing at home.. you dont take a break after every block!!

on test day even if you do 2 blocks at a time you can take 10-15 minutes breaks roughly after them!

(i know it sounds stupid but it helped me alot)

2- WHAT IF I DONT DO WELL!
my question to you-- why wont you??????

HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF and in your knowledge!
the BEST thing about the USMLE is that it is CONCEPT BASED

you cannot UNLEARN knowledge and concepts you already have!
so if uv worked the right way and really understood the stuff.. there is no way in hell you wont do well!! ITS THAT SIMPLE!
ACCEPT IT and stop beating urself up unnecessarily
smile and go and ROCK the test!

the journey is long and tiring-- there are days you will want to give up.
wake up every morning and realize how it would feel .. how much happiness it would give you to pass.. and secure a residency here...
get up and kick urself every morning.. uv come so far.. u cannot go on for a few more days???

if you give up on ur own self.. whos gonna stand by you?

and again im repeating----

dont let someone else tear down your dreams.. you have it in you to do it!!
if you didnt.. HOW DID YOU GET THRU MED SCHOOL? :)

stay positive.. there is nothing to be gained by doubting urself!

(i guess iv summed everything up at the top of my head... busy with step 2 prep so if u guys think iv missed anything please do let me know! will respond as soon as i can...

heres my earlier posts.. hope they help
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/22585-mbbs2010-score-results-today.html
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/21166-mbbs2010-exam-experience.html)

#4 ·
failing once for an IMG is a red flag ,u will still get residency but struggle will increase than if u passed the first time .sorry ,but its the reality.many programs have filters for red flags this means they will not read your application.try to get USCE and good LORs to overcome.Good luck

P.S -I called many friends(IMGs) in US who recently matched .

#8 ·
Thanks a lot for your advice...

so how many hours a day did you spend on questions and reading?

right now im only doing a block b/c its taking me too long typing out explanations on uworld..for questions i got wrong..

do you recommend usmlerx in the beginnin or twds the end when we are doing DIT?

I'm doing kaplan notes right now..i have done kaplan live lectures.. yeah def its taking time..

how long did GOljan take u? is it better to do goljan after kaplan patho? or a month b4 your exam???

#9 ·
Thanks a lot for your advice... ---no problems..

so how many hours a day did you spend on questions and reading? i didnt hv a fixed amount of time.. but i had a set schedule that i had to follow... follow the 25-75 rule..
in the beginning..
100% time on theory-- once ur done with about 2 subjects
25-75---25% on questions... and 75% on theory
then 50-50
and then the reverse with 75% time questions and 25% theory..

right now im only doing a block b/c its taking me too long typing out explanations on uworld..for questions i got wrong..i started off with kaplan qbank..
cos it helped me learn the notes really well...
as far as typing uworld notes goes.. maybe u shud look online.. i think in one of the previous posts iv commented in.. iv shared(along with alot of other people too) really good uworld notes in point form.. u can just print them out n keep reading alongside.. will save u the time for typing.. just a suggestion.

do you recommend usmlerx in the beginnin or twds the end when we are doing DIT? i didnt do usmle Rx.. i did only Kaplan Qbank and Uworld

I'm doing kaplan notes right now..i have done kaplan live lectures.. yeah def its taking time..

how long did GOljan take u? is it better to do goljan after kaplan patho? or a month b4 your exam???
After attending barones lectures... i read and did ONLY THE STUFF HE WENT OVER IN CLASS... trust me that is ALL you need for path... not one word more.. not one word less...
if you do however wanna do goljan.. just read the blue margin notes in his book.. or go to his book for something that u dont understand in kaplan path.
at the end of the day when u take a break/walk/exc or whatever.. just listen to his audios..
that more than enough

#13 ·
these are things u basically must cover for the

knowledge base.

1- anat: kaplan
2- neuroanat: kaplan/HY/BRS
3- Physio- Kaplan
4- Biochem-- Kaplan +/- Medessentials
5- Pharm- Kaplan/FA
6- Micro/Immuno -- Kaplan/FA
7- Path: Goljan (Kaplan only if u have the additional stuff added from someone taking live lectures)

8- PICTURES/CT/XRAY

make sure that for the 3Ps ie PHARM PATH PHYSIO you do a major book other than FA till the end.. in ADDITION to FA .. to make sure u score well.

Kaplan has re-written alot of the notes in 2012.. for both step 1 and step 2.. yes the changes might not be big ones.. but its the minor addition of details that changes ur score on the MLE.

test taking skills

1- TAKE THE QBANKS ONLINE
only then will u get an exact approximate of where u stand.

2- do all questions in random timed mode of 46
to make u sit down in the exam format

3- eventually start doing 2-3 blocks at a time.
makes u oriented towards sitting for a long duration

4--GET A STUDY PARTNER
this is very very highly helpful.
set out 10-20 questions that each one of u will get... and do them in an hour.
read out the question to ur study partner.. and tell them what u think the question is asking.. n tell them ur thought process and reasoning..

take turns doing so.

why this will help-- someone will be able to exactly pin point where u are making an error in application.. or what exactly u are messing up.

plus when you do the same for someone else.. there will be a great amount of understanding and clarity that will hit spots u might hv missed before in ur knowledge

#15 ·
Hey man , what an amazing experience ! i like your determination and will , wish you all the best in CK with 260+ :D

I wanted to ask you about your UW notes , if you can share it with us , or give me a link to it i will be very thankful :)

Reactions: mbbs2010
#22 ·
need advice for ck

scored 196 in step 1, step 2 failed 1st attempt; second attempt got 222. and passed CS. Have not been successful in getting residency: thoughts? please need advice
Hello, good to hear you passed all the exams. what study material(books/notes/Q-bank) did you read for your Ck and how did you manage to do a good score in ck in your second attempt? I need advice. It will help me a lot.

#23 ·
Step 2 CS - failed twice

Hello Doctors,

Greetings for everyone.
I am posting this on behalf of my spouse.

The details are mentioned below.

IMG 2007 pass out.

Step 1 - 208 first attempt
Step 2 CK - 218 first attempt
Step 2 CS - failed twice unfortunately ( yet to take it again)

Experience
Physician - 4 years outside United States
Volunteered to see patients in free clinics in United States ( about 6 months).
Research - one year in Endocrinology with lots of patients hands-on
Research - currently in Derm with lots of patients hands-on

Green Card holder about to get US citizenship.

Goal:
1. To get more research experience
2. To get USCE
3. To pass step 2 CS
4. To get a decent score in Step 3

Please let me know what are the chances of getting in to residency ( IM/Ped/FM).

Thanks in Advance
Best Regards
Aspirer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.