Originally Posted by ajf06h
so to begin with during my 2 years of basic sciences at Saba i probably did on the order of 12,00+ questions. rubins, robbins and coltran, lippincotts, brs, pre test, web path, u world, pretty much anything I could get my hands on.
During the last 2 semesters I did Uworld questions with my course work along with kaplan videos one time through. Finished Uworld with a 89% the 1st time.
when I came home in Dec i took a 2 week break before beginning studying which commensed about dec 27th. my method was by organ system spending around 4 days on each.
For example- Mon- Cardio anatomy and embryo- with UsmleRx and Kaplan questions. Tues-wed Physio Path w/ ?s Thur- Pharm and finish all Rx and Kaplan ?s. I did all the way up to Feb 3rd, which left me about 3 weeks till the exam, and what I viewed to be the most crucial period.
During the last 3 weeks my schedule was repetitive and strutured
630 a.m breakfast and random 46 ? uworld timed exam
First aid step 1 subject chapter ex. renal
random 46 ? uworld timed exam
First aid step 2 ck 8th ed subject chapter ex. renal
and so on until 8 pm at which point i went to the gym, ate dinner, watched an episode of The Wire, and drank a glass of wine, asleep by 11:30-12 most nights
SLEEP IS KEY- IF YOU IGNORE THIS STEP YOURE SCORE WILL SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Got through all of Uworld in 3 weeks with a 98%
as for NBME and UWSA scores
NBME 13- IN DEC BEFORE STUDYING- 257
NBME 12 MID JAN- 268
UWSA 1 END OF JAN- 265+
FEB 8TH - NBME6- 258- GOT FRUSTRATED AND DID 11 RIGHT AFTER AND GOT 266
5 DAYS BEFORE EXAM DID NBME 7- 264 FOLLOWED BY UWSA 2 265+
Got through first aid step 1 3x between jan- and my exam and step 2 ck 2x
step 2 ck was an amazing adjuvant for clinical presentations, and x rays. dont focus to much on diagnostic and treatments in that book, that is more appropriate for clinicals.
-Neuro- High Yield- fosuc on lesions- tracts, and scans, dont bother with crazy disease names (ex. foster kennedy syndrome),
-anatomy- the step ?s were pretty knowledge based and not that out of the order- kaplan and I used high yield just for some extra x rays and CT scans
- Pharm- first aid was enough, but I had 2 of the most amazing pharm professors so my preparation was very little for this subject, but if you're weak here, Kaplan is amazing. but you really want to know the molecular changes of EVERY RECEPTOR, that is KEY, ex B1 vs B2 ............
- Behavorial science- kaplan is fine
- Biochem/Genetics- dont stray from first aid
- Micro/Immuno- this was another high yield subject that I had great teachers for- but first aid covered 95% of the info in this area, if you need som e extra help in the biotechnology areas such as flow cytometry- kaplan is a solid resource.
- Physio- brs or kaplan- both are good - stratight up physio ?s were few and far between- know you basic concepts of water compartments- ex add hypertonic saline infusion- what happens to intra/extra cellular compartment size- arrow ?'s
- Pathphysio- GOLJAN RAPID REVIEW IS GOD
- PATH- PATHOMA VIDEOS- ESSENTIAL
as for tips the day before- NO NEW MATERIAL- if you don't know it by then count it as a loss. I woke up sped through first aid micro- drove down to my hotel which was right scores from the testing center. got some food, gym, hot tub- went to my room took an ambien at 8pm and read conrad ficher pharm flash cards until i fell asleep. woke up at 5:30 am- stretched for 20 mins, showered, hotel breakfast, went to the campus an hour early, psyched myself up, and got to it. as for time on the test READ THESE WORDS- READ THE QUESTION BEFORE THE PARAGRAPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- If they are asking for a bacteria and you are spending precious time absorbing ABG values that are thrown in as EXTRA INFORMATION (WHICH THEY DO PUT THERE ON PURPOSE)- you will not be using time efficiently. I finished every section with 15+ mins left- some with 26 mins, which gave me plenty of time to go back to those questions with 2 graphs, 3 paragraphs, ect.... and spend the time needed on them.
p.s forgive my spelling and grammar, I've never been much of a proofreader. plus my MAC is busted so I am doing this from an ipad.. If i missed any of your ?s or concerns please ask again, hope this was some help to you all. As a recap of my 3 best tips- SLEEP, PRACTICE ?S, READ THE QUESTION BEFORE THE VINGETTE!!
SABA CLASS OF 2015
FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY 2010