USMLE Forums banner

October-November-December Step 1 Takers

6K views 87 replies 38 participants last post by  sharan906 
#1 ·
Hey!
Please share how the months ahead should be planned or share your plan.
I'm slightly slack with the prep. I need motivation! :scared:

#43 ·
Hi all...
i will give step1 in dec/jan..doing behavioural sciences these days!
For behavioral science I recommend Kaplan Video...The teacher is awesome...The videos are lengthy but its worth every minute..What I did was played it in VLC and then watched it with 1.38 speed.Saved time and didn't lose nothing.

Try to focus on Biostatics as much as u can and then do the questions at the end of the chapter.

Take behavioral subject as a nice story.

At the end Medical ethics is a nice book...You can read it one day and has "100 Questions you are most likely see on the exam".

Good Luck.

I have started PATHOMA Videos now...I am done with Goljan book.Wanna do Pathoma Videos just in case..I am exuasted...Need a break...lol

#44 ·
I'm taking in December and I feel totally clueless! I'm just about wrapping up Kaplan Pharm Videos and I intend to do RR Path next. It's taking sooooo long!!!! A friend of mine only did FA and UWorld (he did UW twice and read FA over and over) and he got a 98! I wonder if I should adopt that method. It sounds straightforward and high yield. Someone please advise me:notsure:

#47 ·
My plan

Hi.... Glad to see many ppl in this thread... I am planning on taking it in nvember as well... Done with anat and almost done with physio.... My plan is July 15 to July 30 - pathology. And finish micro phram and bio chem by sept and behv sic in sept first week.... Do first aid second time in reamining days of sept.. Start world by sept half till nov..... Is this plan kinda okay????? Plz give in ur suggestions

#48 ·
hey guys

Hi guys ,
I am planning to take the step in Dec.So far i did Biochem videos on metabolism by Sam Turco and pharmacology videos.doing Goljan on side track.is anyone doing or planning to start kaplan Q bank? or when are u planning to start UW Qbank?
glad to see you all people here who are taking the step around the same time:)

#49 ·
@docusmle9

hi.. even i was thinking about kaplan qbank. As i went through the free sample on their website (which imo one should go thru it before purchasing), i found it to be a good supplement for KLNs, topic wise and subject wise. I think UW should be kept reserved for last 1-2 months.

Well I'm going through pharma.. U sure should have tips for me Happy-2

Bdw, which 3 month eligibility period would you pick up to include december?

#56 ·
taking the exam in December

Hi all.
I am an IMG, started studying last 3 weeks ago.
finished immunology and in one week will be also done with microbiology.
my plan contains biochemistry, genetics, behavioral and then system devided (embryo, anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharma)

what i was wondering guys is whether u are gonna use dit..i am not familiar with this stuff.

please tell me your opinion.

thnx a prior.

amaryllisa

#57 ·
Doing UW (real thing 20th nov.)

My exam on 20th nov.
Past:I am done with first reading of all kaplan subject. Some topics i read twice (it seems i have to read them once more;))
Done with first reading of goljian
Done with 55.46% of FA :D
PresentNow doing UW (started 3 days before, Done with 250 questions), Kinda liking it:D
And reviewing goljians and FA (intergrating UW notes on FA and notebook)
Future trying to finish UW by 25th sept.
Need 5 days of break for MCI FMGE exam.
Then review all UW things for more 5-10 days
Take UWSE 1 on 15th octuber.
Then keep on reviewing stuff
1. FA
2. UW notes
3. Important chapters and week chapters of goljian
4. Genetics, biochem, B.S. from kaplan notes
Try to cram every damn micro and pharma;)
Thats my plan!
lets see how it works.

#58 ·
Onto Kaplan's for second reading and plan there on!

It seems I took unnecessarily long time to complete first reading. But still done with everything almost.

Started the revision. Plan to annotate HY forgettable concepts in FA.

Physio--Finish by 2nd Sept
BioChm--3 days for CellBio and others
2 days for Genetics
Goljan--10 days
Microb--3 days
Pharma--3 days
G.Anat--1 day
Embry--1 day
Neuro--2 days
Biostats and behav--Along with UW subscription

Hence, I plan to start UWorld (along with FA annotation) by next month for sure. Which I'll finish in about 30 days and revise in another 7-10 days. then
I intend to revise and review for 2-3 weeks before the D-Day!

PS--> NBMEs after UW.. at 1-2-3 weeks away from the big day.

Will modify as I go along!

#59 ·
19 dec

exam on 19 dec!:eek: done with first read of kaplans without patho.for that i am doing pathoma these days.will start first aid in a few days.:eek: then revison from 20th sep till 31 oct along with u world.then only FA and Uworld in nov and dec:rolleyes:

#61 ·
So none of you plan on doing kaplan qbank?

I have a good grasp of concepts, but to feel more confident I wanted to do what other people advice which is doing tons of questions. I wanted to even do RX but now I don't think i'll have time.

I'd like to take the test in late Dec. Do I need to schedule a date as of now. I don't want to schedule and then have something come in the way (which is very common when you have a large family) and I cannot deal with anxiety and I get anxiety knowing that I have scheduled and there is no way out.

How imperative is it to schedule so soon? Will I find a date for when I want it at the scheduling center?

In terms of what I've done, it's really hard to say, because I don't just read something and move on to the next, I really try to understand it (not memorize it) but understand it well enough to be able to grab it even next year and still be very familiar with a topic. I'll finish patho, pharm, anatomy and Behavioral for 1st time, then onto the revision of them with qbank. Thereafter, I'll start UW, but really wanted to do RX since many say it's a good question bank.

I'm shooting for 250+, so I was really interested in having it done that way, but if it can't be done, then i'll just concentrate on UW.

#62 ·
So none of you plan on doing kaplan qbank?

I have a good grasp of concepts, but to feel more confident I wanted to do what other people advice which is doing tons of questions. I wanted to even do RX but now I don't think i'll have time.

I'd like to take the test in late Dec. Do I need to schedule a date as of now. I don't want to schedule and then have something come in the way (which is very common when you have a large family) and I cannot deal with anxiety and I get anxiety knowing that I have scheduled and there is no way out.

How imperative is it to schedule so soon? Will I find a date for when I want it at the scheduling center?

In terms of what I've done, it's really hard to say, because I don't just read something and move on to the next, I really try to understand it (not memorize it) but understand it well enough to be able to grab it even next year and still be very familiar with a topic. I'll finish patho, pharm, anatomy and Behavioral for 1st time, then onto the revision of them with qbank. Thereafter, I'll start UW, but really wanted to do RX since many say it's a good question bank.

I'm shooting for 250+, so I was really interested in having it done that way, but if it can't be done, then i'll just concentrate on UW.
Hey! I was thinking of doing KaplanQB. But I'm confused as to where to put it in my schedule!

I am thinking of either putting it midst this reading.. or after doing UW.
I am pretty confused..
I think I'll decide once I finish 2nd reading of Goljan.

#64 ·
How is it going guys? I am doing Kaplan qbank it looks good... 2200 questions ... So I think u should make schedule and finish it ... It has lot of low yield stuff and it's very picky abt the details ... It helped me remember the most tedious facts... I will start uworld in a week and I am on my 2 nd revision...
How is the prep for everyone else... Our exam is gonna be here in no time!

#71 ·
done wth reading review books (don use KLN) instead am using those top rated step 1 review books . did it two times , FA two times , did NBME 5 and got 201 , currently reading FA second time , hope finish it mid next week . aim 270 score ,. second week september will start UW (100 qns per day ) , second time wth UW wrong questions only , and then all together as review together wth FA . take NBME 12 AND 13 then will see what next , go for exam or not . any correction on ma plan yar welcome ,

#73 ·
different ways around there and people use different ways to achieve what real want from UW .., I use UW as studying tool and keep ma self stay on time tuned and also being exposed to different concepts . i use timed mode , Random .., and works well for me . abt questns yeap i do qns , read explanations (now just for wrongs qns only) and make notes whenever i meet wth new concepts that i cant retain it simply without note somewhere . in two weeks i guess will be done wth UW first time , then will go second time (read ryt and wrong qn explanations ) , and then lastly just read ma FA and anotated note . thats all

#74 ·
My form 183 shows this:i'm applying for Nov(2012)-Dec-Jan(2013) slot, i am still a student in India. I will finish internship in April 2013. I have already made an online transfer of the exam fees.

Attendance Dates: Aug 2007 to Apr 2013
No. of Years Attended: 6 Years
Degree Expected: MBBS
Expected Grad Date: Sep 2013
Expected Degree Date: Sep 2013

Now, i am worried that i have entered 6years in the years attended; and i'm also not sure if my expected grad date is Sept 2013 (generally degree is awarded in September in my college).

DO you think i'll have to override application?

If i do override, please suggest what should be answers to the above fields.
Any advice please.

#76 ·
My form 183 shows this:i'm applying for Nov(2012)-Dec-Jan(2013) slot, i am still a student in India. I will finish internship in April 2013. I have already made an online transfer of the exam fees.

Attendance Dates: Aug 2007 to Apr 2013
No. of Years Attended: 6 Years
Degree Expected: MBBS
Expected Grad Date: Sep 2013
Expected Degree Date: Sep 2013

Now, i am worried that i have entered 6years in the years attended; and i'm also not sure if my expected grad date is Sept 2013 (generally degree is awarded in September in my college).

DO you think i'll have to override application?

If i do override, please suggest what should be answers to the above fields.
Any advice please.
IMO, you don't need to change it! It's fine the way it is.

But also, you can always ask ECFMG people about it. Try calling them.

#77 ·
step 1 study plan & female sp

hi,
i have done kaplan & FA 2012 & UW once. planning for exam in end of nov.
need a FEMALE study partner to do FA together. to do some proper study planning together so that it will help both of us.

my plan is to review subject wise as per needed from UW & kaplan(few special areas as per needed) by our own in some specified time ( eg. anatomy in 2-3 days, or physio in 2-3 days) & daily 2-3/4 hrs. FA revision together on skype.
i think it will help us to revise things in a compact time & faster.

i am also open to accept better study plan/ schedule or we can plan it together so that we both can be benefitted.

i am in eastern time zone (Maryland) USA.

so, if there any one having the same frame of mind plz let me know as soon as possible... my email id. is baishakhi.chandra@gmail.com
waiting for my study partnar...

thank u.
baishakhi.chandra@gmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.