USMLE Forums banner

2016 Neurology Residency Matching Applicants

28K views 95 replies 40 participants last post by  CandyMan69 
#1 ·
Hello! Let's start a thread fellow braniacs! :rolleyes:

Just copy-paste the format to show your credentials. Then write it under the heading (whether you need a visa or not). An organized thread proves that we have brains because we need brains to study the brain. :))

Name YOG Step 1 (# attempts)/Step 2 (# attempts)/ Step 2 CS (# attempts)/USCE/Publications/US LoR

VISA NEEDED
baiken17 2014/232(1)/244 (1)/Pass (1)/5 weeks observership/1 pending/2 US LoR

VISA NOT NEEDED

#8 ·
Suggestions ???

I have the following as my resume.
Step 1(235)
Step 2 CS(Pass)
Step 2 CK(To appear)
4-5 months of USCE
Good LORs from home
3 mo experience of working in an emergency unit back home.
No research experience.
Possible US LORs on the horizon.

Questions :
1)My CK slot expires on August 31, when can I reapply for an new one at the earliest ?
2)How and when should I apply for this match?
3)What should be my strategy going forward?

Regards
Vila

#9 ·
Hello, everyone!
Please also include step 3, research like this

Name YOG Step 1 (# attempts)/Step 2 (# attempts)/ Step 2 CS (# attempts)/ Step 3/ USCE/research/Publications/US LoR

I am ordering the credentials, please also fill in your research and step 3 status

VISA NEEDED
baiken17: 2014/232(1)/244 (1)/Pass (1)/5 weeks observership/1 pending/2 US LoR

Slash: 2008/222(1)/235(1)/Pass(1), 2 mn observer, 1 mn externship, 2 year Research out US/2 pubmed coauthor/3 LoR American Professors (2 Neurologist and 1 NeuroPsychiatrist) VISA NEEDED

spaduri: 2008/ 230/ 220/ cs pass/ 206 (All first attempt) MPH/ 1 month neuro externship/2 months IM extern/ 1 month IM obvship/ 8months research in ID/no publi/ Visa Not needed

neelmed: 2015/239(1)/252(1)/Pass(1)/12 weeks Neuro electives/5 US LoRs (All Neuro)/No pubs/Visa needed

Valpecula 2013/ 246(1)/ 258 (1)/ CS pending/ 3 months observership Neuro/ 3 US loR/ no pubs/visa needed

Mi : US citizen grad: 2012 / step 1 233 / step 2 ck 239 / CS passed ( 2nd attempt ) / 20 weeks of observership neurology / 3 US LORS of neurologists / 4 weeks research assistant / just 1 poster presented AAN!!!

Vila :Step 1(235) /Step 2 CS(Pass) /Step 2 CK(To appear) /4-5 months of USCE /Good LORs from home /3 mo experience of working in an emergency unit back home /No research experience /Possible US LORs on the horizon.

IFTI: 2012/ 253/259/pass/ step3 result awaited/ 3 mo Neuro, 2 Mo IM / i publication in local college journal/ 2 neuro Lors, 2 IM lor

please keep on adding yours in this format

#26 ·
Hello, everyone!
Please also include step 3, research like this

Name YOG Step 1 (# attempts)/Step 2 (# attempts)/ Step 2 CS (# attempts)/ Step 3/ USCE/research/Publications/US LoR

I am ordering the credentials, please also fill in your research and step 3 status

VISA NEEDED
baiken17: 2014/232(1)/244 (1)/Pass (1)/5 weeks observership/1 pending/2 US LoR

Slash: 2008/222(1)/235(1)/Pass(1), 2 mn observer, 1 mn externship, 2 year Research out US/2 pubmed coauthor/3 LoR American Professors (2 Neurologist and 1 NeuroPsychiatrist) VISA NEEDED

spaduri: 2008/ 230/ 220/ cs pass/ 206 (All first attempt) MPH/ 1 month neuro externship/2 months IM extern/ 1 month IM obvship/ 8months research in ID/no publi/ Visa Not needed

neelmed: 2015/239(1)/252(1)/Pass(1)/12 weeks Neuro electives/5 US LoRs (All Neuro)/No pubs/Visa needed

Valpecula 2013/ 246(1)/ 258 (1)/ CS pending/ 3 months observership Neuro/ 3 US loR/ no pubs/visa needed

Mi : US citizen grad: 2012 / step 1 233 / step 2 ck 239 / CS passed ( 2nd attempt ) / 20 weeks of observership neurology / 3 US LORS of neurologists / 4 weeks research assistant / just 1 poster presented AAN!!!

Vila :Step 1(235) /Step 2 CS(Pass) /Step 2 CK(To appear) /4-5 months of USCE /Good LORs from home /3 mo experience of working in an emergency unit back home /No research experience /Possible US LORs on the horizon.

IFTI: 2012/ 253/259/pass/ step3 result awaited/ 3 mo Neuro, 2 Mo IM / i publication in local college journal/ 2 neuro Lors, 2 IM lor

please keep on adding yours in this format
This thread is so disorganized. :toosad: Only harisifti was able to get what I was trying to accomplish. Oh well...

#10 ·
Neurology Residency WhatsApp Group 2016

I have seen a residency match WhatsApp group for Internal Medicine. it would be a good idea if we make a similar group for discussions about Neurology residency match 2016. I have made a group. Please write me your complete WhatsApp cell phone numbers with your country code. You can also send me that in a private message.I will add you guys. My WhatsApp cellphone num is +923345519456

#18 ·
Hello fellow applicants! I wish the best of luck for you all!

2012 / 239 (1st) / 246 (1st) / Passed (1st) / Will take Step3 later this year / 1 year research intern with 3 clinical observerships in between, 1 neuro 2 rad onc CNS-Peds / 1 neuro pub, 1 submitted and a few in writing / 3 US LoR

Need VISA!

Let's keep this thread alive! Good luck!

What are your thoughts on Categorical and Advanced programs? I hear Categorical are more IMG friendly, to my surprise of course.

Best regards!

#24 ·
We have a whatsApp group for discussions about Neurology residency match 2016. . Please write me your complete WhatsApp cell phone numbers with your country code. You can also send me that in a private message.I will add you guys. My WhatsApp cellphone num is +923345519456.

We will also keep this thread alive esp for interviews

#25 ·
This might sound somewhat of a twisted question but here's my situation:

I am applying to IM and Neuro. Neurology is my true passion, but i have to cover my bases. i got separate letters for each specialty that were very specific to them (i.e IM attendings recommended that i do IM, with no mention of Neuro), with the exception of one. The thing is though, when the letter was enterd into ERAS, i assigned it to IM but i was able to read the letter and realized that it was very generic and cud be used for neuro. should i now assign it to neuro? would the programs see that it was initially assigned to IM in the instruction pdf??

thanks guys,

good luck to all

#28 ·
HELP

Hi fellow applicant,
Can we use our Neurology LOR to IM program (both prelim and categorical)? Do we need to upload completely different letter under IM to use for medicine?
The second question if you do not mind to answer and share your info. Do you know any neurology program that use USMLE score filter? if yes please mention together with the USMLE score lower cutoff.
Thank you all
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.