USMLE Forums - View Single Post - USMLE World Self Assessment, Redo?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010
USMLE Forums Master

Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Threads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
Is it good? I heard it underestimates your score. I bought 2 when I bought the Qbank, but have yet to do them. Do you have a recommendation on when to do them? I still have 25% left from the Qbank.
Oh maan - I did mine a few weeks ago with 80% of UW remaining and I did terribly (400). I sure hope it underestimates your score. Often when I do UW in general I feel that they are cheating me out of the right answer and (having only done 20% of UW) that is exactly how I felt having done it.

My recommendation - wait till you've finished UW till you do it or else it might hit your confidence like it did mine. The NBMEs are more honest - there are bizzare questions, but a lot of fair questions too

In general though - its good to see questions like that and (once you're done crying like I was) it really did help me focus my studying to ensure I wasn't takign the simple stuff for granted. Do one maybe after you're done UW and the second one maybe a week or two before you write for extra practice? I'm not entirely sure what will work for most people I just know that doing it before doing UW isn't the best idea in the world... hope it helps!