USMLE Forums - View Single Post - My CK Experience (***/**)
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout

Steps History: CS Only
Threads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_purav View Post
DISCLAIMER- I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY CK SCORES SO WHETHER TO FOLLOW MY ADVICE OR NOT IS UPTO YOU

Alright so first of all I'm an average student. Im not the 250+ types.

Secondly, PLEASE CARRY HOME MADE MEALS IF THE PROMETRIC CENTER IS NOT IN YOUR TOWN. I had a meal at a restaurant on the night before the exam and suffered from food-poisoning on the day of the exam! Its not a good experience, trust me.

Okay then first of all "I can't sleep on the night before the exam"
Solution- STOP READING ATLEAST 16-18 HOURS BEFORE THE EXAM! For those of you who were unable to sleep the night before the Step1, try this. If you're planning to study till midnight then your brains going to be processing so much info that it's not going to be possible for you to sleep before the exam. (Not true for everyone but since this is my experience I'm going to share it anyways So stop studying coz you don't want to ruin your exam studying for some ques that you're not even sure are going to show up in the exam.

"Breaks"- another very personal thing. But I would SUGGEST YOU TAKE A BREAK AFTER EVERY BLOCK. Reason being if you realize you made an error in the previous block then your current block is going to suffer. You don't want such things hovering in your mind and affecting your concentration. I took a break after every block. I took pics (hard copies) of my girlfriend (shes the hot cute attractive types ) to the exam and used to see them after every block. The only thing it did was it made me forget everything about my prev block. They won't mind even if you take a FHM or MAXIM to the exam. But don't try to think about the ques that have already passed!!

RED BULL- okay so this should become the official drink of USMLE soon. ALL my seniors and colleagues have recommended this drink. "DID IT HELP?"- I dont know. Even if you gave me water saying this was your Grandmas 'Secret Concentration and Memory Improving Formula'...I would have gulped it. It helps......PSYCHOLOGICALLY!

FREE150- DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. ITS THE CLOSEST THING TO THE EXAM. IN TERMS OF BLOCK CONSTRUCTION, DIFFICULTY AND QUESTION LENGTH. DEFINITELY BETTER THAN NBMES, KAPLAN OR ANY OTHER STUDY MATERIAL HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Question lengths- A lot of hype related to the long ques in CK. "Is it true"-YES. Questions are def longer than Step1 but, doable. I'm a slow processor (i had a little over 5 min left in each block in my Step1 exam). However, I was able to complete the ques in good time.

KAPLAN QBANK- Orite so this is the Prodigial Question and I was planning to write and entire thread about it but I will summarize the main points here.
"Is The KaplanQBank Worth It?"-YES
"Would You Recommend It?"- YES
"Is It Absolutely Essential?"- NO
"Then Why The Hell Are You Contradicting Yourself?" - the thing about CK is that unlike Step1 it isn't a 100% knowledge based exam. Over 50-60% is clinical judgement. They are not going to ask 'Which organ is injured if a road accident victim presents with a bruise in his left upper quadrant and hypotension?'. The question is more likely to be "What would you do if you had a road accident with a bruise in upper left quadrant and hypotension?". Just an example. The only way you can improve your clinical judgement is by solving ques! I suggest solving atleast 4000-5000 ques before taking the exam (again this is my personal opinion. I'm not one of the best and brightest and YES I do require a lot of practice.) KaplanQBank gives you 2200+ ques and 2-full length practice tests! Thats almost 2800 ques. So Yes I would definitely suggest you do the KaplanQBank. (P.S.- I have not been paid my Kaplan Medical Licensing for promoting this. It is solely my personal opinion. )

Medicine and Pediatrics - Major bulk of the Step2 CK. Almost every other que was "A 56 year old man....." or "A 8 month old child...." Almost 60-70% of ques were Medicine and Pediatrics. Do these two subjects thoroughly. Just 1 question regarding milestones. Read questions thoroughly since non-useful words like "obese" and "debiliated" can make a lot of difference. Lot of distractors and non-useful info also present so filter the relevant info. Looking at the answer options will help a lot! Always look out for hints like alcoholic, drug-addict and Chronic Renal Failure since it affects your answer almost 99% of the times.

Biostats/ Ethics/ Gen Principles of Health and Medicine- Biostats was the EASIEST! I dreaded this subject in Step1 but CK asks only the basic ques. Sensitivity, Specificity, Odds Ratio, NNT etc etc.
Ethics was also easy. No big deal. You always end up with 2 options after ruling out everything else and then you select the best possible.

Drug Ads and Abstracts- Just 3-4 ques in the entire exam. Drug ad was soo easy that I actually read the ad for 5 full min coz I thought it was a trick que! The answer was printed in bold and big handwriting at the top of the ad! Drug abstracts are totally biostats ques. The first que is usually from the table and second que usually involves identifying type of bias or something like that. So dont worry about these ques.

Psychiatry- Very confusing! Wasn't my strength and almost every que had 2 answers! Thats what I felt.

Surgery and OBGY- Very easy! Don't waste time mastering these subjects. Basic knowledge from UWorld and Kaplan Notes is enough.

ENT/Opthal- Very easy! No weird questions. Very straight forward. Jus 7-8 ques i think in the entire exam.

The exam will drain out a lot at the end of the day so be prepared. You need to be mentally strong. Losing concentration in the last few blocks can be disastrous so do whatever you can to avoid that.

Already a very long experience so will stop here. Took the exam less than 30 hours ago so I'm not putting up my NBME/UWSA scores. Will do it once I receive the CK score No point in co-relating with my scores right now

Special thanks to all the members and moderators for helping me out. Reading all your posts has made CK much much easier.

Let me know if you guys need any CK material. Mail me : [email protected]

Good luck and God bless
please I need Master the boards Usmle step ck2 and step 3 , I need it urgent, my email is [email protected] , and I need any important notes for step 1 and step 2 ck