USMLE Forums banner

OLD IMG step-1 result is going to expire

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  250orbust 
#1 ·
Good Evening dear members.
I need expert people opinion on my case. My situation is as follows.

I am an old IMG ( 2009 ) and I took step 1 in 2013 and got a low score (only 199) but I passed. After that I took CS and failed.

I am an American citizen and have 1 year IM/FM USCE.

I am planning to restart USMLE journey again and want to take step1 and all other steps again. I was just wondering what would be my chances of getting into IM/FM residency after doing all of this ?

Is it worth or should i quit?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·

I am an old IMG ( 2009 ) and I took step 1 in 2013 and got a low score (only 199) but I passed. After that I took CS and failed.

I am planning to restart USMLE journey again and want to take step1 and all other steps again. I was just wondering what would be my chances of getting into IM/FM residency after doing all of this ?

Thanks in advance
Yes you will be having chances for getting matched into the residency programs, you need to have high scores and get continuous hands-on clinical experience in the specialty you want to apply for match so that you will be gaining strong LOR and will be able to show to PDs that you are clinically active.

#3 ·

Thanks in advance
You need to have good scores in all the steps, you also need to complete Step 3 exam as well to get better chances for application. Also, you need to have recent LOR which you can gain by hands-on clinical experience. You need to get connections it can help the application during interviews.

#4 ·
Thanks a lot :)
I will definitely try my best to have good scores. The problem would be step1 study as its been more than 8 years since i studied anatomy and biochem,etc.
Anyhow i guess if you are determined to do something, everything is possible.
I actually tried PLAB route as well but failed in PLAB 2 ( OSCE) and now i guess its better to pursue USMLE as PLAB 2 is subjective and volatile exam compared to step-2 CS.

#5 ·
Sending a Strong Application to Compatible Programs

Hi there,

We understand your concern, and it is important to not give up! Along with the advice about USCE, Step Scores, and strong letters of recommendation, there are two other highly important factors.

1) Apply to compatible programs only, those which will consider your Step Scores, Time Since Graduation and other factors. Learn more at www.matcharesident.com

2) Additionally, it is important to detail your experiences via the MyERAS Written Sections (including the CV) and writing a strong personal statement which convinces programs of your potential in their program. Discover residency application editing, optimization, and review at www.residencyexperts.com

We wish you the best along your journey!

#6 ·
You will be fine. I graduated in 2011 and recently started studying after a long hiatus. I can provide you answers to any questions you might have.

Moral support is a very important ingredient on this journey. Believe in yourself. You can make it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.